“Great get away...during SUPER MOON”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #108 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just got back from a lovely stay at Luna Blue Hotel. Love the big filter water bottle--I didn't have to buy tons of water and lug it back to the hotel. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. The bar is fun with swinging chairs and fun decoration :). Love the staff -- Alex was so wonderful and friendly. Also love Frankie - orange cat. The pool was a perfect relaxing spot after scuba diving all day. The artwork is beautiful.
I highly recommend your stay here!!

Room Tip: We had the garden room - very beautiful with tree canopies.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Veronathalie

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I really can't say enough good things about this wonderful hotel. We discovered Luna Blue through Trip Advisor after having booked a room elsewhere for our first night in Playa (online). We were only in Playa a few days. We walked over to check it out and I knew at once that this was where I wanted ro spend the next two nights. We took a room near the pool ($75/night) and spent a whole day alternately reading on a lounge chair sipping beer purchased at Oxxo (just a short walk at the end of the block), and cooling off in the pool. The trees offered shade and kept us cool and the little waterfall on the side was a lovely touch. I could have stayed there for the rest of our vacation, but this was an intermediate stop (we booked a whale shark snorkel trip between dive trips). The staff was also very helpful and there is a bar with swing chairs at the street level which has good Margaritas (is there really a bad Margarita in Mexico?). If I ever travel to Playa again, I will stay at Luna Blue.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank perozzop
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at Luna Blue & it's still just as great! Charming, simple, clean, & convenient... I can't imagine you'll find better for the price. My curiosity got the best of me & I stayed at another hotel for the last part of this trip & I definitely missed the Luna Blue. We paid almost twice as much & were half as satisfied. The service is amazing, the pool is refreshing, & the bar feels like home (I wish!).
Do yourself a favor & stay here. There's a reason it's ranked so high on Tripadvisor among much more expensive hotels... It's the best!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Roxstar11
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We visited the Luna Blue for our second time at the beginning of May and it was an extremely enjoyable experience. Since there are already plenty of revews of the hotel, I will attempt to answer a few questions that I had before the trip. We stayed in a Tropical Hideaway room on the second floor. My wife and I are in our early 30's and this was our 4th trip to Playa (2nd stay at the Luna Blue). We went there for Jorge's Margaritas and scuba diving, in that order. Here are a few things you might like to know:
- When you land in Cancun you will go straight to immigration, then get your bags, then walk through customs. There is a button that each person pushes that will randomly determine whether or not they go through your bags. Don't put anything in the top of your bag that you don't want a mexican police officer to hold up and show everybody.
- After you walk through the sliding doors DON'T STOP until you go through the doors leading outside. The timeshare people are very convincing and they will ask you who is providing your transportation but just keep going and look for someone holding a sign with your name on it. P.S. There is a bar right outside the terminal and it is a 2 beer ride to Playa. I am from Mississippi and we measure travel time in beers.
- We had the Luna Blue set up transportation for us. Since our flight arrived at 9pm it was a higher price ($110 per couple round trip) for private car transportation. This is usually cheaper than getting your own cab.
- I don't like using ATM's or cards in foreign countries so we brought $100 in 1's, $200 in 5's and about $500 in other US currency. Everywhere takes dollars so don't change any to pesos. US dollars are waterproof and the locals enjoy taking your wet dollars just as much as the dry ones when you are at the bar in your swimsuit. Tips are always appreciated.
- Wireless internet has a good signal in the rooms
- Cell service was excellent (Cspire) and I let the provider know that I was travelling out of the country before I left. You can receive calls fine but you have to dial a country code to place a call from your cell phone. I think we had to dial 001+area code+number to get through.
- The room where we stayed had a very cold A/C. I am from Mississippi so that means a lot to me. It quit blowing one day but Alex got somebody to fix it very quickly-.
- Rooms at the Luna Blue are very clean and very basic. There is no TV or radio so I suggest taking a phone/mp3 player with an external speaker if you like entertainment. Hairdryers are available if you request them. They provide soap and shampoo.
- Its about a 5 minute walk to the beach so make sure you bring all your stuff. Fresh Beach towels are available at the front desk with a deposit at the beginning of the trip.
- I brought a small soft bag cooler with us and we kept several beers on ice all the time. You can buy beer by the 12pack at the store around the corner and its a lot cheaper than buying one at a time on 5th or at the beach. If I had it to do over again I would have walked to the Mega store and bought a couple cases for the week. You can buy a bag of ice and keep the rest in the small freezer in your room. The freezer has ice trays but they take 2 days to freeze, and if you are like me you will need ice more than every other day.
- The convenient stores don't sell beer after 3pm on Sunday so go ahead and stock up before then if you are thirsty.
- Take a thick foam huggie or my favorite: Thermos Stainless Steel Can Insulator. Mexico is hot.
- We bought some big water bottles at the store around the corner and re-filled them with the big bottled water dispenser in the room.
- We went diving with Mexico Blue Dream. They are a first class operation and I would not hesitate to recommend them. We did the package that had 2 tanks in Playa, 2 tanks in Cozumel, and 2 tanks in the Cenotes. If you have never been in a cenote then you need to try it while you are there. MBD also has a room in the back where you can wash you gear and leave it to dry overnight so you don't have to carry it back to your room every day. Great service.
- We went to a bunch of restaurants and whoever is working at the desk can offer some good recommendations. The fish tacos at the restaurant on Calle 26 just past 5th are incredible and I still lay in bed and dream about the french onion soup at Wicky's.
- Last but not least, the best Margaritas in the world are made by Jorge at the Luna Blue Bar. They open at 3pm and I can't remember what time they close because of Jorge's margaritas. Ask Jorge about rule #1 for the ladies at the bar. Trust me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank webejeepin
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend Eric and I stayed there end of April, beginning of May. From the moment we arrived to the sad day of having to leave we experienced the best service.
Alex was very friendly and helpful. Always with a smile on his face and willing to go out of his way.
The cleaners Lydia and Diane always had rooms just spotless and wonderful. Jimmy was kind and helpful.
Location is perfect. Walking distance to everywhere you needed to be from fifth ave to the beach. Having vouchers to Mamitas was great.
We are definitely returning to this gem of a place. It's a place you don't want others to know because it's your own secret paradise but you want everyone to know because the people and owners of this place deserve the praise :)
Looking forward to next years visit :) Viva Mexico :)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank jevgrl
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed one week in a garden view room. We were four guests in the same room and we had plenty of place, with a great kitchen. The place is VERY clean and friendly. Alex will help you for anything you need. Jorge is the coolest bartender ever! Great evenings drinking tequila on the swings! For breakfast you get free tea and coffee, with cakes. Awesome! The hotel is very close to the beach and the 5th avenue (main street, wich is at the corner).

Inside the hotel you will feel like you are in a rainforest...it's so calm! We liked the place so much we will go back next year for sure. Thanks the owners for this little peace of paradise.

Isabelle, Karine, Karine et Nadine, from Quebec

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank ISABELLE1975_13
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Have stayed at the Luna Blue 6 times over the last 10 years. It seem they get better every year. Over the years they've upgraded the rooms, added a swing bar that's one of the best bars in Playa. Live music twice a week. Now they've added a pool. The staff has mostly stayed the same over the years and always treat us like family. This small (18 rooms) hotel is a great alternative to the faceless, just another room large hotels.

Room Tip: We like the garden rooms which are bigger and have a small kitchen.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple