“Best Atmosphere in the City”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #95 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Best Atmosphere in the City”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Smaller hotel that exceeds in customer service. Fantastic pool area. Best bar in town . A location that can't be beat at the north end of Playa del Carmen just off of 5th Ave. The perfect place to stay in Playa del Carmen. The big guy tried to put these guys under there thumb, but they wouldn't stand for it. Kudos to them for taking u p the task. Some of the best margaritas in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sask_Bluesman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I’m planning a return trip to Playa del Carmen & I just realized that I need to give Luna blue a review that’s LONG overdue! My boyfriend & I traveled to Playa Del Carmen last May and we spent the first part of the trip at the lovely Luna blue. This is a charming boutique hotel that’s located in the heart of Playa, half a block from 5th avenue and 3 or 4 blocks from the beach. The minute you enter the property you feel like you’re transported to a jungle paradise. There are lush gardens & palapas and the best bar ever with swings instead of barstools!! The pool is refreshing and a great place to relax just steps from your room. The room itself was perfect! It was huge with a kitchen and two beds. We cooked breakfast in the kitchen almost every day, which saved us quite a bit of money!
Now of course a review of the Luna Blue would not be complete without mentioning the SPECTACULAR SERVICE!! I started communicating with the owners, Tony & Cheri, via TripAdvisor before we even booked. We started communicating in the forum and they were very helpful in answering any question I had about the hotel and PDC. It was great to finally meet them as they introduced us to their lovely hotel! We really felt at home. The entire staff was super helpful from housecleaning to the front desk and of course Jorge @ the bar who makes amazing margaritas with a big smile! We really did have the best time here and I can’t recommend it enough!!!
On a side note I have to mention that we spent the second half of our trip at an all-inclusive about 40 minutes outside of Playa. It was a beautiful resort with many pools and restaurants & gardens etc, but we missed The Luna Blue and Playa Del Carmen almost immediately! Big commercial resorts just don’t compare with the coziness & wonderful personal service we received at this hotel!
Thanks again Toni & Cheri! We'll be staying with you again soon ☺

Room Tip: We loved our suite with a kitchen!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Roxstar11
London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed as a couple for one night only (sadly), and have only good things to say. It certainly lives up to all the positive and helpful info provided on website and on booking. Great place, great surroundings, great location, great service (thanks to Alex especially). Delicious breakfast cake too!

Just a note for those considering it, we made the trip north to the Grand Coral Beach club (one of the free beach club arrangements the Luna Blue has) and loved it. We tried Mamita's first which was great too but because it was the afternoon already we got beds but no umbrellas available- was too hot for us, and very busy in general (although some prefer that, I know- each to their own!). The Grand Coral was a completely different experience- Caribbean paradise, pretty secluded beach with small pools too plus great food/bar service at hand (slightly pricey but still only standard London prices). The taxi cost us 100 MXN there (but he wasn't sure where it was when he agreed to it!), but 140 back as this is apparently the set price for a call-out back from here. You might be able to haggle this in advance if you speak Spanish (we don't). Either way was still worth it for us.

Hope this helps someone. Back to Luna Blue- stay there!

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Beck0york
Safety Harbor, Florida
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Exceeded my expectations. I;m one of those travelers that doesn't particularly like staying in resorts, or international "branded" hotels; I like smaller hotels like Luna Blue.
On the night I arrived, almost three hours late, I was greeted by Alex as I walked in the door. I gave him my name and he immediately pulled out the paperwork which was all completed with the exception of my home contact information. He briefly explained the hotels facilities, the surrounding area, and activities that he, or any member of the staff would help arrange. When we were finished at the desk he took me to my room and gave me the normal room tour and again welcomed me.
One of the first things I noticed every morning was the sound of birds singing outside my window. The open garden is home for many birds that like to sing every morning as well as shade protecting a lot of the pool from the afternoon sun.
How did Luna Blue exceed my expectations, their facilities were always clean and tidy. The staff was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about things to do locally as well as excursions. The owners, Tony and Cheri take a personal interest in their staff and quests alike. The cost is lower than the larger hotels and resorts. And the location is ideal, for those that want to be involved in the action on Calle 5 (the main tourist strip) yet far enough for those that want to relax without having a lot of noise
Would I return to or recommend Luna Blue, short answer to both is yes.

Mike
Travel Thru My Eyes, Let's GO!!!
Have fun, travel safe

Room Tip: Visit their website directly for reservations
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank Mike-TTME
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a cute little bed and breakfast type hotel with a great location with American owners. Funny how these web sites search engines do NOT pull it up as available, but they will show dozens of other suggested hotels (all higher priced.) Recommend contacting the hotel directly.

Room Tip: Contact your travel agent or hotel direct to find available rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank IslandgirlKS62
Somonauk, Illinois
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This review is a little over due as we stayed at the Luna Blue over the Christmas holidays (Dec 24-28). We have always stayed at all-inclusives when visiting the PDC/Riviera Maya area and decided that we wanted the "in town" experience this visit. We are happy that we decided to do that...there are too many beach clubs, bars and restaurants in town to explore and the LB is the perfect place to have as your "home base"!
We LOVED the quaintness of the LB...small and "no frills", but offers everything you need just steps away from the action of 5th Ave! The staff truly make this hotel...everyone is very friendly and helpful and we appreciate their efforts.
Would we return? You bet! Hopefully sooner versus later! A big thank you to all who made our visit enjoyable!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank mswild
Black Hills
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We enjoyed the Luna Blue again in January, and previously last March of 2012. The Luna Blue continues to set the standard for Boutique Hotels in the area for customer service, price, and overall quality of our stay. We enjoyed a new room, #21, which is a kitchenette room on the ground floor level and we enjoyed it thoroughly! I think we've had the opportunity to stay in 12 different rooms and we would stay in any of them again!
Perfect location in the growing north end of Playa for quick walks to the beach (5 minutes from lounge chair to the lobby), restaurants and Mega and Walmart for groceries, etc.Perfect!
On our first Sunday there was a gathering of the local music talent for a special Playa All-stars pool party. Lovely setting by the pool and in the courtyard for an acoustic, laid back afternoon!

We cannot say enough good things about each and every stay here, and cannot wait until we reach the Luna Blue again. There's just a quality of enjoyment that is hard to state in words when we walk into the courtyard and the ambiance of this hotel begins to envelope us, and quickly get us into a relaxed state of familiarity, like going home to see family you haven't seen in a while.
The best thing you can do for an excellent Riviera Maya experience, is book this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple