“Alex is the MAN!!!”

Ranked #94 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Seattle, Washington
“Alex is the MAN!!!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our trip to the Yucatan, and all we could talk about was how amazing the Luna Blue Hotel and staff were. Diane and Laura, the housekeepers were exceptional, and added a special flair with their amazing towel art (they deserve big tips, people). Sherry was so kind and informative on what we should do while in town, and the bartender (Jorge?) made some of the meanest drinks in Quintana Roo. The night staff was also very friendly, but the person I want to give the most glowing comments is Alex. We were a bit out of our element when our vacation started, but thanks to Alex, we quickly became regulars. From telling us where and (most importantly) where not to eat, to contacting tour groups, to letting us know when we got ripped off by a vendor (in a very kind way!), Alex was our go-to guy. Perfect English and a kind disposition. The staff, along with the fact that this is one of the most beautiful hotels we have ever stayed, make Luna Blue a return destination for us. The morning breads and coffee definitely place an exclamation point on this place.

Room Tip: The Treetop Terrace has an amazing view of the hotel and its gardens from high up. It also has a spa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JohnS98038

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Well that might not be a true state. If your looking for a Big all inclusive hotel keep looking, but if your looking for a charming, tropical, quiet, boutique hotel you have found it. You won`t find a television or phone in your room. You won`t be walking down long hallways passing people who can`t make eye contact. You will be walking into small piece of Playa paradise. This hotel is why many of us fell in love with playa years ago. The second you walk though the gate your in a small paradise. To your right is a small intimate swing bar where you can set on the swings with a tropical drink and listen to some great live entertainment. Tony loves his bar and has made it very welcoming to all. To your left will be the check in and information desk. Cheri and Tony have worked hard to make Luna Blue feel very welcoming the second you step though the gate. If you need help planning your day, finding a secluded beach, or a restaurant from gourmet to hole in the walls you in good hands at Luna Blue. They also have you covered in the mornings. Just walk down to the gardens in the morning and you`ll find fresh coffee, hot tea and a assortment of breakfast breads. You can set in the tropical gardens or by the pool and meet new friends. I find this a great way to start the morning. Talking with other travelers about places of interest, new beaches, or places to eat. I have made lifelong friends in this garden. Then there`s the rooms at Luna Blue. I prefer the treehouse rooms and find them to be clean, light and very airy. If you want privacy room # 9 is your room. Be warned, it`s on the very top floor and after a few of Luna Blues awesome drinks, it makes a very interesting, and fun journey back to your room. There is bottled water and a safe deposit box in your room. While Luna Blue isn`t right on the beach, no problem. You will have access to the best beach clubs in Playa ( Malmita still my favorite.) If you need to workout and burn off all that crappy eating Luna Blue has you covered. They have a discount card for 2 very nice gyms that are close by. So my friends. I`m not telling you what to do, but life is very very short. We need to take a little time to impress ourselves. So don`t put it off any longer get those airline tickets and book your room at Luna Blue hotel. Take some time to slow down, swim in the warm sea, walk on some of the best beaches on the planet, swim in a cenote, and set at the Luna Blue bar and toast your drink to a great life for yourself and send love to all the world. Some of us have done that for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Playahangn
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days during high season (January). The helpfulness of the staff and the value of the hotel (quality to price) were its strengths. The rooms themselves are nothing fancy but they are clean and perfectly satisfactory. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JMB1981
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was traveling solo to Playa del Carmen and wanted to stay somewhere for a week which was quiet, near 5th Avenue, had a jungle atmosphere and a private hammock. I've been to Playa twice before and have stayed at nearby big All-Inclusives. I narrowed my choices to the Mahekal, Las Palapas and Luna Blue. Mahekal and Las Palapas both had meal plans and beach access. None of them had televisions. All of them had private hammocks (the Luna Blue did in its tree top room). But both were also more than double the price of Luna Blue. I'm not a huge beach person and Luna Blue offers passes to the popular beach club anyway.

At Las Palapas I was also worried about noise from the nearby beach club (which turned out to be a real factor for many of the hotels along the beach because it's so loud.) I booked Luna Blue and it was the best decision I made for the price. I stayed in the top floor Treetop Room, #36, which overlooked the pool and the trees. I slept with the windows open and the ceiling fan every night and awoke to the sound of birds and the fountain in the courtyard. It was exactly what I was looking for.

The rooms are concrete. Even though someone was staying in the room below me, I didn't hear anything. No voices or other noise. Ever. The water pressure is excellent and the hot water in the shower is good. The room was very clean. The staff did a good job of getting rid of the small little ants that came in a few of the days (you ARE in the jungle after all.) I saw some lizards and other creatures on the outside of the building too. This was what I wanted! If you want 5-star luxury service than the Luna Blue isn't for you.

You don't even notice that there is no television. It's a relief not to have the white noise on in the background. Luna Blue offers free wi-fi and it worked great not just on the balcony and in the public areas but also in my room. I watched a live blog of the Golden Globes for 3 hours without getting dropped once while sitting on my bed. Awesome! This is the best wi-fi I've ever had at a hotel in Mexico (including the expensive all inclusives). This being Mexico, however, the beds were a little hard.

The hotel had one concert around the pool while I was there (great band!). It also had a few live musicians at the bar on Tuesday and Thursday nights. But everything ends by 11 pm. Other than some people chatting in the courtyard, you really don't hear anything else (no nightclubs, partying etc.) It's the most tranquil hotel near 5th Avenue.

The staff is great. The front desk managers all speak English perfectly and can arrange tours and other things. For a $10 security deposit, you can rent a huge beach towel which they will refresh for you every night. I felt very safe and secure staying as a single woman at the hotel.

The hotel has fresh breads and coffee out in the courtyard every morning. It's a nice touch if you don't want to wander down the street and get something else early in the morning.

As for location, it doesn't get much better than the Luna Blue. It is on the north side of Playa near some of the better restaurants and is a little less touristy because it's not near the cruise ship dock. There is a Starbucks with a lovely outdoor patio (great for people watching) just a block away.

If you want the experience of staying IN Playa and experiencing the town, the Luna Blue is it. I will be back.

Room Tip: The treetop rooms are great and very private. It's worth the extra money. Room #36 has its own p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ChicagoGirl2016
Chattanooga
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We started our vacation at a large 'corporate' hotel in Cancun and decided something better must exist. We searched the internet and chose Luna Blue. What an improvement! It is friendly, charming, clean, comfortable and close to everything. It is far enough from the 'main drag' to get some sleep, but has the best little bar downstairs with 'swing' chairs to end a nice evening. Our 16 year old daughter even loved the place and we will be returning for spring break this year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank schufoo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed at Luna Blue again over New Year's Eve. The owners and staff are still as hospitable and friendly as ever. The landscaping in the courtyards and pool area are tranquil and relaxing. Short walk to the beach, the hustle and bustle of 5th Ave, and many fabulous restaurants, yet once you step into the hotel grounds, again, you feel like you're in another place. Thanks, Luna Blue, for another great stay. See you soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Juliebenmark
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here for our 5th time when we went down to renew our vows for our tenth wedding anniversary. Tony, the owner performed our ceremony and did a wonderful job. As always the staff was great, going out of their way to make us feel at home.

• Stayed December 2012