WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #79 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas, Texas
“Great hotel as always.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here for our 5th time when we went down to renew our vows for our tenth wedding anniversary. Tony, the owner performed our ceremony and did a wonderful job. As always the staff was great, going out of their way to make us feel at home.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank cycledogdvm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were staying at the hotel next door and saw the sign for this place. We cancelled our remaining reservation and moved to this little place for the remaining 4 days of our stay. We loved the court yard. It really feels like you are in a tree house! The bar is nice and mellow. The location is incredible. Its just a block up from 5th ave. but nice and quite. But we really moved here for the kitchenette. Being able to make a few of your own meals is great. There is free water in the rooms, as well as fridge, oven, microwave and coffee maker. Pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, ice cube trays are all in the room. The air conditioning is amazing and almost froze us out! The front desk man, Alex was so very friendly and accommodating. The owners were around and were friendly as well, she even let me borrow a hair dryer from the front desk, as it was the only thing not in the room that I needed. The pool is small and not heated, and stays cool because of the canopy of the trees in the courtyard. Perfect for a quick little dip to chill out. The beds were a bit hard, but hey, you're in Mexico. I would definitely stay here again. It feels like home, only better, because there's no TV and you're in sunny Mexico. It even comes with a resident cat, Frankie.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 6. Private balcony, 2nd floor, great view of courtyard, kitchenette.
6 Thank Lisa B
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in December, 2012 on a quick visit down from Cancun. It is a charming hotel, I felt as though I was living in a tree house! It just so happened that the bar was closed for repairs to the palapa roof, which resulted in a lot of noisy hammering during the day. The owner gave us a big discount on the rate to compensate, which we appreciated. We will definitely return!

3 Thank Smilesallday
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We found this little gem of a hotel thru word of mouth. BOOK DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL since those online booking agencies like Expedia, Venere, Hotels.com, LonelyPlanet, etc. tend to list the hotel as full but I found this not to be the case when I got in touch with them directly. Agency listing bias?
The hotel is reasonably priced compared to some other hotels in the area. It is in a good and convenient location for restaurants, beach, taxi, etc. It has a nice tropical and peaceful ambiance, zen-like, family atmosphere, more like staying at your own home away from home. Unless you like the 'grand hotel, all-inclusive' ambiance, this is the place for you at Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank FlowerVirginia
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights end of November. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gotten sick! I stayed at a different location the previous 3 nights and arrived at the Luna Blue on a Wednesday, loved what I found walking into the courtyard and loved my room and balcony way up high. I thought now this is going to be awesome!! I ended up getting very sick late that night and was pretty much laid up for the rest of my trip, staff was very nice and the tea and bread in the mornings saved me. Would give the place another try if I return to PDC. A couple turn offs were the loud music coming from some bar close by, kept me awake a couple nights. Luna Blue's bar music was not an issue, it is quite right after 11:00. And the cat fights...oh Frankie can be quite the scrapper and it seemed to always be right around my room, haha. Will go back again if I'm ever in the area

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shellz66
Pinole, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

For my second trip to Playa del Carmen, I decided I would skip the All Inclusive Resorts and try something a lot smaller and a lot more personal. My only regret is that I didn't do this the LAST time I went!

The Luna Blue has carved itself a quiet little niche, just far enough from the array of night clubs and bars to let a person sleep in peace, while still remaining close enough to the core of town that I never even considered taking a taxi. (The area of town immediately around the hotel feels safer than most parts of the town where I live, making for comfortable and relaxed evening walks.)

And what a niche it is! The vine-strewn trees throughout the property provide an atmosphere of being in a primitive jungle. The pool feels even further isolated, since it is on a lower level, about 10 feet or so below the main area of the central courtyard. Then there's the palapa-topped bar, with a scattering of intimate tables and (my favorite!) swings rather than stools around the bar itself. The bar is stocked with a wide variety of beers and liquors, and (far more importantly) is staffed by possibly the nicest bartender it's been my pleasure to meet.

Once I had my morning swim and was ready to face the day, it was a short walk from the front gate to anything you could want on a vacation. The beach is maybe two city blocks away, with Playa's best "beach clubs" right there. Coffee shops, restaurants, boutique stores, and an astounding array of bars are all within a block or two. If you venture a little further (maybe 4 or 5 blocks) you come to the night clubs both on and off the beach.

Did I mention that the hotel has free WiFi throughout the propery? You haven't fully lived until you've used your phone to video-chat a friend from paradise, and been able to show them *exactly* what they're missing.

In short, it simply doesn't get better than this.

Room Tip: The tower room, with its private patio area, felt deliciously indulgent. Highly recommended!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Scott E
Belle River, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 12 day stay at the Luna Blue. What a perfect place to spend Christmas and New Years Eve. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The grounds are kept up beautifully. Unfortunately Cheri was not feeling well and we didn't get to see her but we did get to talk to Tony and as always he was the gracious host.
Every time you return to the Hotel either Jaime, Alex or Mario greeted us like we were family and answered any questions we had. They are truly good people.
Who can forget Jorge either. When the bar got hopping on New Year's Eve watching Jorge pour and mix is like watching a ballet-but more interesting (in my opinion). Jorge is engaging but never intrusive and will always find a way to make sure your stay is fun.
We ran into people we had met two years ago while staying at Luna Blue and it was like meeting old friends again. It was a great feeling.
Thank you to Tony and Cheri, and the entire Luna Blue staff for another great stay.

5 Thank Vigilant1104