After sorting thru hundreds of Trip Advisor hotel reviews for inexpensive hotels, we settled on Luna Blue and it is a winner! (Actually, we spent 2 nights at an expensive hotel as Luna Blue had no openings for the week-end and it was wonderful too as it is on the beach but for funky and fun, this is a great place.) The rooms are basic but very nice--tho the beds are hard! The great tropical courtyard and the friendly bar are the highlights. (However, a few more chairs and hammocks would be nice.) The courtyard and balconies have several levels, all looking down into the bar and pool. People start gathering at the bar around 5 and some come from other hotels. Most have been coming back for years.
We were there 5 nights and there was great live Blues 4 of those nights so you better like the Blues! (Stops by ll pm, tho. so you can sleep.) There was a special birthday party all Sunday aft with several groups playing so it was 5 hours of the Blues plus food. We were fortunate to have Rm 35 some of those nights and it has a great balcony overlooking everything. However, you aren't far away with any of the rooms. Just off 5th Avenue with all the shops and restaurants but toward the nicer part of the avenue. Terrific selection of beaches with free chairs and we didn't get to all of them. (If you have a car, drive down to Tulum and visit the beaches--gorgeous and few people. Try Ziggy's Beach club but it's a ways.) Our only minor complaint was that we hoped to be able to sort out some of the parks and attractions with the staff and there wasn't that opportunity. However, want to mention that Alex, who handles the front desk is just wonderful! He is very helpful--and all the staff is so cheerful! This is a great value for the money mainly for the fun atmosphere.
We can't recommend any particular restaurant--they run together and all are OK but the Cuban restaurant at the north end might be one to check out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Blue Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's popular north end, three short blocks from the beach and half a block from the restaurants, shops and nightlife of 5th Avenue. This boutique hotel features palapa-covered balconies, a sunken tropical garden swimming pool, a lush garden, and one of the most popular bars in town. The hotel offers free use of four beach clubs and various local discounts. American owners and their bilingual staff offer you personal attention during your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Luna Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Blue Hotel Garden
- Luna Blue Playa Del Carmen
- Luna Blue Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico