“I want a permanent room at Luna Blue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #87 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
NJ
“I want a permanent room at Luna Blue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

When I walk through the gates of Luna Blue a big sigh leaves my body, my shoulders drop visibly and I feel at home. I love Cheri and Tony Head, but it's the warm welcome I get from their long-time employee, Jaime, that truly make me feel that I'm home! Familiar faces make for comfort, especially for the solo-traveler.

The new pool, the new pool... oh how welcome that pool is, especially after returning from a hot day on the beach. It's perfect!

Down to the basics: cleanliness, rooms are spotless. Bathrooms are outfitted with organic shampoo, conditioners, lotions and soaps. Patios have outdoor seating perfect for picking up the wifi signal and catching up on the outside world (but who really needs that anyway).

Several beach club options are provided (I'm partial to Mamita's as the beach there is splendid).

Enjoy some cocktails at the bar with Jorge; listen to some live music. If you get hungry just walk across the street and order from La Cazuelas and they will bring the food right to you.

I've stayed elsewhere in Playa but, in all honesty, I feel most comfortable with Cheri and Tony and the Luna Blue family. They know how to bring people together.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank saladbits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

My family and I stayed at Luna Blue for the second time this summer. The accommodations are comfortable and the rooms we stayed in had great balconies -- we had three rooms that included the tree house room with a big balcony and two other rooms with connecting balconies. It was perfect for having both private time for the couples and time together as a family. Best of all is the price; for the location and quality of the hotel it is an excellent value.

Our big disappointment on the trip was that the bar was closed the whole week. It was one of the best memories of our previous trip -- relaxing with mojitos before venturing to a dinner spot. The bartender was sick, so it was just bad luck.

I look forward to seeing the pool during my next stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank LizR28
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

My friend and I had the most amazing stay at luna blue! we would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice, clean affordable stay in playa! the location is perfect and the hospitality is amazing the owners are so warm and welcoming thank you so much we can't wait to come back!!!!
and Alex on front desk was so friendly and helpful muchos gracias :-)) stacie and emma

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank stacie D
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I have had two wonderful stays at the Luna Blue. Located just off 5th ave.it was close to everything we needed.The entertainment is always great and shuts down early to ensure a good nights sleep.The rooms are excellant in size,cleanliness and atmosphere as is the remainder of the hotel.The staff is very friendly and helpful.After a long day out and about it was always a treat to come back to the gardens and just soak up the great vibes of the hotel.Free breakfast was new last year and was a great addition,have booked our third stay there and look forward to seeing the new pool!My only wish would be to make my stay last longer !

Room Tip: I think any room you choose will be a good choice,
2 Thank katyfrom
beachwood, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Our winter getaway at the Luna Blue was just what the doctor ordered! The room was quiet, clean, and comfortable with plenty of hot water. There is plenty to do in the area; beaches, dining galore, entertainment, and shopping, all within walking distance! If you want to venture out to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins, Xel Ha, Pureto Moreles, or Akumel....they are all accesible; Tony & Cheri will help out with your every need. We always felt safe and welcome.
We reccomend the Luna Blue without reservation ...as the saying goes," We will be back!"
Colleen & Steve Yost

3 Thank leenie2kailyn
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful time in Playa and at the Luna Blue. The hotel is just off the main street, down on the slightly quieter section of 5th avenue. A couple of blocks to the beach, a few blocks from everything else. Perfect location. Room was excellent. We had a room with a kitchen which was great for heating up leftovers the next day for lunch. The 3rd floor balcony was an amazing private hang-out to enjoy those meals and drinks during the heat of the day. Room was very clean, kept nicely during the week, AC worked well the couple of times we did use it, but much preferred the breeze. Perfect room. The rest of the hotel was beautiful. Fun bar. (Can't wait to see the pool next time we visit!!!) The owners and staff were wonderful and very helpful. Always had great advice for getting the most out of Playa. Perfect people to run a hotel.

Room Tip: I think the kitchen ended up saving us money overall since we had a place to prepare lunches!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Karl V
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I just realized I hadn't submitted a review from a stay in February. We rented a car and had no problems getting to Playa from the airport. It was always easy to park within a block of the hotel. The front desk guys were always very nice and helpful. We used passes to all the different beach clubs and liked the variety. You can tell the owners care about making your stay enjoyable and relaxing. The garden makes for a perfect setting to start the day planning and ending the day reflecting. The resident cats are a trip to watch roaming and lounging in the perfect life they've been provided. The hotel has the type of heart and soul that hopefully keeps Playa a unique paradise.

Room Tip: If you're into coffee and/or chocolate the local chain Ah Cacao is just around the block. You...
2 Thank trumanwaters