“Another great stay”

Coco Rio Playa del Carmen
Ranked #105 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed March 31, 2011

This was my 3rd visit to Playa and my second time at Coco Rio. Love this place. The hotel is situated at the quieter part of town and close to the best beach. Staff is friendly and helpful. Will always stay here when in Playa.

Room Tip: Jr Suite is the way to go
  • Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank artful99

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I´ve stayed in Coco Rio hotel with a couple of friends last week. We originally planed to stay only 4 nights but by the end of day four we decided to move our plans of going to cancun and enjoy coco rio and amazing playa del carmen nightlife and beaches another night , we really received a gentle treatment for the whole staff
(Juan Carlos the front desk manager ---who treated us amazing booking our last minute reservation and giving us a 3 double bed room at the top floor with balcony for a reeeeally good price----, the owner, the night shift girl ,even from Don Francisco the night guardian giving us a smile when we came back from partying at late night hours o should i say early in the mornirng hahaha)
I truly recommend Coco Rio hotel is well located in the italian neighborhood , great restaurants near by and just 2 block away from playa mamitas and kool beach club , which are the places to be when u´re w/ friends.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank antonioibal
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I've stayed at Hotel Coco Rio the last two times I've been to Playa Del Carmen. It's conveniently located just off of 5th Ave. and further north than the busier and noisier part of 5th ave. It is also a short walk to Mamita's beach club which is a great place to hang out on the beach. It's also closer to a lot of the restaurants that I prefer. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and speak English very well. They responded back to my emails quickly and were very helpful. If you want to book a room with them, email them directly to their email address and you may be able to save some money rather than booking it online.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I booked 2 nights at the Coco Rio based on reviews here but I will never stay there again.

The good...
The layout of the hotel is quite nice. Lots of trees, nice little courtyard, hammock outside my room.
The room is very clean and the bed is comfy.
Good location at the end of 5th ave.

The BAD...

I asked for a late checkout of 8pm in my booking note and again when I arrived. Despite that, on my last day, I was told that my request had disappeared. Coincidentally, they needed my room for another guest who decided to stay longer. So they booted me very quickly to make more off someone else and I had to go pay a full night at a hotel across the street.

I asked them to arrange an airport shuttle (which their info says they do) and all of a sudden their english got worse. There is no way you work in playa and don't know the words Airport Shuttle. Terrible service.

The room had NO HOT WATER. They told me to let it run for 10 minutes. After 20 minutes it was barely tepid with no pressure. The key for my door only worked when it wanted to, often leaving me fiddling for 5+ minutes. The tv remote didn't work either.

For $100 us per night, this place is a total rip-off. I went across the street and got a better room with better service for $65us.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank JaySchwag
Management response:Responded February 25, 2011

Thank’s to Trip Advisor that allow us to replay.
The gentleman spend 2 nights at our hotel; he is complying about a late check out of 8.00 pm. We do not promise if we can not do it, beside that his booking note did not say anything about request of late check out as you can see here attached.
Our web page and hotels.com explain the exactly check in (15:00 hrs) and check out time (12:00 hrs); we try to do our best to please our guest when is possible of course, even if we have a private bathroom with shower and a room where to store luggages and private belongings only available for guest that have a late flight to go home ..
It is convenient for us to sell airport shuttle and tours when guest ask for it , but the gentlemen never ask about this service.
We had problems before with hot water pressure but we solved it already months ago with a new circulating hot water system that works very well… It seems that the gentlemen was very upset, because he could not get the room free until 8.00 pm and he had to pay another hotel , but we really apologias for this..in height season as we are now with full occupancy, it is really impossible to do it.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

I was visiting for 10 days for the BPM music festival and I was always happy to come home to my junior suite. It really felt like coming home. Perfect location! Everything is so so close, you are right at the corner of the 5th street which is THE street of shope, restau, bar, massage ($30/h) and 5 minute to the beautiful sea and one of the coolest spot on the beach "Kool Beach Club/Restau

The service was excellent and always with a smile. The room (very good square ft.) was very clean, lots of light. I felt in love. . . with Blanca, the hotel cat who graced me her presence everyday.

Next door you have a fabulous Italian patisserie. The only thing I would be aware as a traveler for this hotel and location is that you will have music and noise until late at night. But hey, you are on vacation and you can sleep when you return home :)
Joke aside, if you are a light sleeper, than this area (along and near the 5th) will not be for a good location for you.

Coco Rio is now my official home away from home. I am there in spirit already!
A very happy customer and friend.
N

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SunshineLove40
Reviewed December 20, 2010

This little hotel was a pleasant surprise. I would say it is the cleanest hotel I have stayed in. Nice large room with balcony. Beautiful courtyard and nice private sunning deck. Nice location close to the beach and on a side street so it is not directly on 5th Ave. There is music next door on Wed and Fri but it is over by 11PM .Plenty of places to eat close by. Best internet connection is outside but plenty of outside tables and seating.
We stayed a week and would stay again next time we are in Mexico. Very nice friendly cat named Blanca . We got quite attached to her!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank chewi2005
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Stayed for 7 nights and loved this hotel. Near Mamitas Beach and away for the noise. Would differently stay there again. Price was amazing!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family