Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
$191
$537
$517
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$385
$293
$310
$217
Barcelo.com
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$448
$359
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$304
$229
Melia.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$486
$344
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$15,600
Hotels.com
$535
$450
10,643 results
All reviewscactus clubseaside grilldesires barentertainment stafffloor conciergetropical viewour honeymoonpool barhydrotherapy circuitcoco cafesmaller resortromantic dinner on the beachother resortsmy pleasureitalian restaurantall inclusive resortturn down service
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This resort is gorgeous, the people/staff are friendly, it's a perfect size with a wonderful pool, right on the beach -- so WHY can't they get their restaurant act together? We are very experienced travelers who love all inclusives, and we know to take all reviews with a grain of salt. But I'm warning you now - if food matters, you need to cancel your reservation.
Rate yourself: food snob, slightly picky, or will eat anything. This resort is for those who will eat anything. There are restaurants there, and I'm told they are good. But you cannot get in them. Really. There are approx 15-20 tables for 4 in each restaurant. They all fill at 5pm for dinner and so ... you wait. Sometimes 1-2 hours and they don't take reservations. The lobby bar is packed all night with people waiting to eat. So, you go to the buffet. It has about 3-4 hot chafing stations, all the rest of the food is cold, and the same food. Every meal. Every day. Except once in a while it turns a la carte and you have to choose from 4 choices on the menu. The sports bar will do snacks - hamburgers and hot dogs without buns, chips without salsa, etc etc. Pathetic.

We magically got a table one night at Oceans, but we have no idea why we bothered. Out of 8 of us, 2 meals were decent. I've never yet had gray mahi mahi that was a dead ringer for rubbery overcooked swordfish steak... I wouldn't recommend it. The apple pie was wonderful though.

Here's one more before I stop ranting: Sunday we were at the pool, got hungry for lunch. The grille was closed, so everyone had to eat at the pool restaurant (remember 15 tables?) and the wait was 45 minutes. So we went to the buffet AGAIN and they refused to seat us because we were damp from the pool. There were literally no other options but to go back to your room, dry off, dress and go to lunch, then go back to your room, change and back to the pool again ... or order room service.
I paid for all inclusive? We went to Playa del Carmen for lunch twice and Cancun once. And we're not food snobs, just slightly picky. Reheated buffets isn't our thing three meals a day. So I give the resort a 10 and the food a 2.

3  Thank sheburns
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I celebrated my 40th birthday with several friends at Secrets Capri from January 12-16 Our goal was to simply relax and have fun and the staff certainly delivered!

Check-In: Immediately upon arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and given a glass of champagne. Our Check-In process went smoothly and the rooms were ready immediately.

Rooms: The rooms were immaculate and well stocked with linens, beverages, and toiletries. The decor is tasteful, the rooms have televisions and DVD players, and the mattresses/pillows were comfortable. We had Tropical View rooms; althougth the scenery wasn't much to look at, the balconies were spacious. However, to be perfectly honest we were only in the rooms to sleep so the view was unimportant to us.

Dining: Breakfast at La Riviera was excellent. As mentioned in other reviews, Rita makes the best omlettes. They are made to order so if you want an egg white omlette or one egg plus one egg white, all you have to do is ask. There is also a nice selection of juices including beet juice and a spinach & celery juice (I was hesitant to try it but ended up having it every morning becasue it was so good). For lunch/early dinner, I recommend either the Seaside Grill or the Cactus Club. The grilled grouper and fish tacos were excellent. Despite my intentions, I did not make it to each of the resort's restaurants for dinner. We did eat at Portofino, which was an elegant dining experience. We ate at La Rivieia for dinner one evening and it was "Okay". We also took advantage of room service for several late night meals. Hot meals were delivered hot and within a reasonable amount of time.

Bars: While it's true the published menu is "limited", if you request something off menu chances are they will either have it or know how to make it. We ordered Caipirinhas our first night at the beachside bar (Luciano makes the best) as well as Pinapple martinis, and Ameretto Sours during our stay--none of which is on the "menu". I will admit that each time you order a mixed drink, it's an adventure....they taste slightly different each time, especially if you are ordering from different locations. Just go with it, it's all a part of the fun.

Pool/Beach: The pool is large and clean. However, it went largely unused by the guests when we were there. The area had a "cold-front" moving through and temperatures were in the 70s for several days, coupled with cool breezes from the beach most people opted to either stay dry or sit in the hot-tub. Despite some evidence of erosion, Secrets Capri has the best beach on the strip. While there, I walked several miles in both directions and became more impressed with the cleanliness and care that Secrets has taken to preserve their beach. There were plenty of lounge chairs surrounding the pool and on the beach as well as umbrellas for shade. If I could make one recommendation, it would be to make the beach towels available earlier in the morning (on average they were available by 8am). Both the pool and the beach are serviced by a select group of resort staff. While there, we had the pleasure of having Victor and Oscar as our designated "servers". These men are funny, charming, and very hard working. Despite the hotel's all-inclusive status, these guys certainly deserved to be tipped (and so we did).

Activities/Entertainment: The resort does a good job of informing the guests about activities via a daily flyer that is left in each room by housekeeping detailing the next day's events as well as the weather forcast. Unfortunately, the events are not well advertised throughout the day; I tended to lose track of time while sitting poolside and missed several of the activities in which I had planned to participate (so perhaps I was already having a good time and did not need to go anywhere :). I hesitate to comment on the "nightlife" primarily because I believe people make their own fun and if you are on vacation at a luxury resort such as Secrets and you're not having fun, it's no one's fault but your own. That said, I do think the resort could improve on the activities offered in the evening, such as starting a little earlier and having the bands play longer. The best evening we had included Secret's Idol (a take on American Idol) and the Wednesday evening band--THAT was a lot of fun!

Service: What can I say other than they excel at service. Every "Thank You" is met by "It's my pleasure"--and they truely act like it. Although you would not know it by the length of this review, I am not normally moved to write letters of appreciation but within 24 hours of returning home, I felt compelled to notify Secrets via email of the outstanding service I received while a guest at their resort. For example, the floor concierge filled my room with balloons and streamers and delivered a cake on a platter that was hand painted with chocolate (it was both delicious and beautiful); Roberto (rifle instructor) helped me when the grounds crew were rearranging the lounge chairs by the pool and I did not understand why I was being moved from beneath my beloved palm tree—in addition to finding out the “why” (barbeque & wedding both scheduled) and helping me to set up in my new location, he insisted I contact him if I needed anything else; and the lifeguard literally ran to security to retrieve the camera that I left behind at lunch earlier in the day so that I did not miss the kitchen tour at 4pm. None of these people had to go the extra step, but they did and I was all the happier for it. I would like to recognize one additional staff member; Victor from the pool/bar service area. He is dynamic and engaging and possesses the skill for making the guest feel special. During my stay I watched as guests sought him out for both service and conversation. He was also quite adept at dealing with the guests who had over indulged to the point of obnoxiousness (fortunately, this was NOT the norm). Despite the stresses of the job, he always had a smile for each of us.

Check Out: The Check-Out process was simple. The concierge (Alexjandra) quickly reviewed our records for any outstanding charges (I owed $20 for an outdoor mini-massage) and presented us with a tag for the bellhop to demonstrate that the account had been settled prior to departing the resort. We used Best Day Travel to transfer between the resort and the airport. They were well organized and I would definately use them again.

Overall, I could not have asked for a better 40th birthday celebration: I was surrounded by great friends, a beautiful location, and friendly people trying to exceed my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ohiogirl11
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife and I just got back from this resort...our stay was from January 11th to the 18th, 2011. This was our 3rd all inclusive vacation (all were rated 5 star at the time of booking), and this one was the best so far!

We arrived around 1pm local time, and our room wasn't quite ready so they took care of our luggage, then directed us to one of the restaurants so that we could have a bite to eat and a drink while we waited. The check in process was very quick, and the staff were very friendly.

They told us that our room would not be facing the pool/ocean, and said that we could upgrade for a certain price per night. We decided to decline, however to our pleasant surprise when they took us to our room it was a 2nd floor room that faced one end of the pool anyway! You could also see the ocean from the large deck. The rooms were very nice, clean and updated (no flat screen TV but we didn't watch it much anyway). The room also included a free mini bar that was restocked daily with beer, pop, juice, water etc. Room service was free, and available 24/7 with quite a good menu...and fast too!

The location of the resort was kind of along an open stretch of highway, about 10 minutes outside of Playa Del Carmen. The only downside to this is that you couldn't really walk to any near by shops/restaurants. It was about a 30-40 minute shuttle ride to and from the Cancun Airport.

The resort itself was excellent overall. We ate at all of the restaurants except for one, and the food at all of them was great. There is only one main pool area, which is split into a heated and non heated side (not sure why this is). One concern was that if you didn't get out there early enough, it was tough to get a couple of beds by the pool area as they filled up quickly (usually by 10am if it was sunny). The beach was very nice as well. Pretty much everyone had there own little shaded area and there was quite a bit of room. As far as the ocean goes, it seemed that once you got about 5-10 feet into the ocean that there was a build up of rocks and debris, however as soon as you got passed that the ocean floor was clean and the area was great for swimming.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort if you are planning on vacationing in the area. I have no real negative comments to make about, and nothing that would prevent me from staying there again.

1  Thank SaskaNato
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We traveled together with friends and each couple enjoyed the hospitality of this resort. This resort is well worth your money. The service at this hotel is excellent and beyond what we imagined. We have been to Cancun area before and felt this hotel understands what being pampered and taken care of in an all inclusive manner. Many people tip at this resort but I will say you get no better or less service if you tip. They are expected to give the same level of service to each customer regardless of tips. Each person that waited on us or helped us in some way seemed to love and appreciate working there. I frequently asked the workers if Secrets treated them well and each said yes very much so. I like working here Miss. The entertainment staff is friendly and has multiple items throughout the day planned. Many days are the same format so if you miss something one day more than likely the next day you can catch it. We used the kayaks (no tour guides) and shot pellet guns at the rifle range. The weather was very unpredictable and down right cold at times. The wind was pretty strong around the pool area. The pool was too cold at times for the air temperature. The last night we begged them to turn up the hot tub. Oscar the pool man did all he could for us regarding the hot tub. It made drinking shots much more enjoyable. If you are traveling anytime soon bring light sweaters, pants and jeans. You will need them at night. It was cloudy and rainy frequently at times. The excursion to snorkel was miserable because of the pouring down rain and water temperature in the ocean and cave. I would save my money and just stay at the resort. The gift shop has many of the items that Playa Del Carmen has for the same prices. The cab ride to Playa was $30 both ways for a van and $16 for a single taxi. Take the hotel shuttle in the evening if you want to see it the beach was kind of pretty down there nicer white sand, not rocky and rough on the shore line like Secrets beach, but you won't feel left out if you miss this part of the city. They claim they can put you on the dinner list if you buy a bottle of wine but each time we did this the restaurant acted like they had no idea what you were talking about when it came time to get a table. Just plan on waiting like 40 minutes to eat unless you go right when the restaurants open. There is usually a line right at 6:30. We ate sometimes at 8:30 just to avoid the hassle and that is when the pool and hot tub closes. My friend said the spa was very nice. It is a very safe resort and people are always asking how they can help. Make sure you look for the friendly raccoon type animal looks a little like a lemur. They love being hand fed.

1  Thank kissarmywife1
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Pros: Friendly, helpful and humorous wait staff. Clean, spacious and fairly quiet rooms with a promised view of ocean. Prompt maid and room service. A great variety of side trips/excursions available through the hotel. Check-in was very smooth and fast.

Cons: Did not receive the welcome basket of fruit/sparkling wine until 3rd day, after repeated requests. Food was extremely salty unless you asked specifically for no salt, which limited your meal options given many sauces are prepared in advance. Not 5-star dining. Some meals we couldn't even get past a few bites. Beach is often littered with weeds, rocks and debris, in addition to murky water. But staff do try to clean beach everyday. Pool was so cold, even the staff made jokes about it. A number of guests advised us that money was mysteriously missing from their room safe. This also happened to us but went unreported due to the "small'' amounts involved ($20-$30) and lack of proof/witness. Suggest you either keep cash on you or use the front desk safety deposit box for a fee of course. Entertainment lacked variety. We stayed 2 weeks and the second week repeated first. Elvis impersonator and 70s style band quickly cleared out the bar with many patrons opting to go into Playa Del Carmen for music.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple