“We loved our destination wedding!”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #41 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 16, 2010

The wedding coordinator started it off with prompt/detailed service prior to our arrival. She eliminated all of the stress that comes with wedding planning. Every time we had a question, she would answer within the same day . . . it was amazing. When we arrived, we were greeted by name with champaign glasses. From start to finish, everyone and I mean everyone, had a smile on their face. We have never received service that great before, so it will leave a lasting impression on us for a long time. The resort really knows how to take care of you. We got the Secrets of Love wedding package and couldn't be happier with the choice. It was within our price range and gave us so much more than we ever dreamed we'd get in our wedding/honeymoon. The wedding was so beautiful and customized to our likes. The social hour had great food and then the dinner was amazing. That is another common theme throughout the week . . . great food! The wedding package also includes spa treatment and a romantic dinner on the beach and both were awesome. Our only complaint would be the rocky beach and ice cold swimming pool. I will give them a break on the cold swimming pool though as they were receiving unusually cold weather while we were there. There cold weather is high in the low 70's and lows in the 50's at night. It was sunny with highs in the upper 70's and lower 80's 6 of the 8 days we were there. I've seen better beaches but it didn't dampen our trip at all.
We had 18 guests for our wedding and everyone enjoyed their trip. There were several nights that we all had dinner together. Only one restaurant requires a reservation and yet we never had a long wait to be seated. I think the longest we waited was about 5 minutes. Now, we weren't able to all sit together but we all had tables close enough that it had the feel of eating together. Again, very friendly service everywhere we went.
Bottom line: We are sooooooo happy that we chose to do a destination wedding and we are equally as pleased that we chose Secrets Capri. We highly recommend this resort and we will probably celebrate our one year anniversary there.

1  Thank KKelchen
There are newer reviews for Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Reviewed December 14, 2010

We've stayed at sister properties (Dreams) on the other side of Mexico, so we had a basic idea of the company. We had not heard of Secrets, but chose it because it was adults only. We had a great time at this property and will be looking at visiting the same chain in the future.

For the price, it is a great value. Yes, the beach was not great, but they said it because of the recent hurricanes. We hung out mainly at the pool area, which is very nicely laid out. They had different activities during the day. It seemed that the 4pm activity was usually the best (one day was tequila tasting, one day was cigar rolling). They need to work on their speaker systems for the entertainment because it was all or nothing with the sound system. Personally, I thought the drinks were perfect as far as alcohol content. I watched them make several drinks and they don't scimp on the liquor. The best restaurant was Portofino (Italian) and the not so great restaurant was Oceana (seafood). It was just not impressive. We heard that Meroma had the best restaurants, but it is a pricer hotel. The people who told us this followed that statement with the menus were larger (had more food choices). The menus at Capri weren't small, so I can only imagine Capri. The spa is really nice and it's fairly new (like 2 y/o). You can usually talk them into a deal on the prices because they are trying to keep it booked.

The marbled hallways did make for some noise and we could hear our neighbors every once in a while, but it wasn't anything we couldn't deal with.

We really enjoyed ourselves!

Reviewed December 14, 2010

My husband and I went for our honeymoon and we loved Secrets. We did NOT go to party, we went to relax and that we did. We liked that it was diverse in age don’t get me wrong there were tons of honeymooners like ourselves but it wasn’t like college spring break. The staff was fabulous, drinks (unfortunately weak), beach was perfect for lounging, the room gorgeous, and food great. I would highly recommend them.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
SCRE-Concierge, E-concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2010

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun.

We appreciate the fact you take time to comment on this very important source.

Very glad you enjoyed the food and the service from our staff. I have already addressed

the F & B department with your comment on the drinks, they should improve.

Well all in all thank you for choosing us as a destination for your vacations.

If you need further assistance please contact directly.

José Luis Álvarez Espino
E-concierge
info.secrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed December 14, 2010

The beach was way worse than I could possibly imagine (SEE PHOTOS). There are permanent dead palm roots, branches, and rocks sticking out every 10 inches or so and they go all the way into the water so you step on them constantly. It was so bad I went into water maybe once a day. The rest of the hotel is an average 3-star hotel, not upscale by any means. For the price they charge it's a total rip-off.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jlivsics

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort to spend your vacation.

We appreciate your comments as well and believe there are plans and actions been taken. It is not an easy task but definitely the changes will take place and hope that in the future you can once again consider our resort.

We are working hard every single day to improve our services and staff attention. May this message work to let you know we do care about the situation with the beach, service, and food an all that affect you and other guest.

Words mean a lot but actions are preferred in all matters, hope we can receive you once again some time.

If you need further assistance please let us know.

José Luis Álvarez Espino
E-concierge
info.secrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed December 13, 2010

We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach last year and loved it so when we saw a great price for Capri we decided to try it because it is part of the same chain. The hotel is nice and the staff friendly but it cannot compare to Secrets Maroma Beach at all. The food is good not great like Maroma and the beach is the worst I have ever seen. When we got there in the afternoon we looked around while waiting for our room and I wondered why no one was in the ocean. I found out real quick when I stepped in - tree trunks, and tree roots, and rocks it is dangerous. Such a shame because the water was nice you just can't get in. We moved after 3 days over to Secrets Maroma and honestly there is no comparison.

Reviewed December 12, 2010

I've stayed at 7 all inclusive resorts ranging from 3.5 - 5 star and this was the worst by far. My now husband and I spent our first week at Dreams Tulum which was amazing for our wedding with 50 guests - great hotel, exceptional service and beautiful beach.

We thought for the 2nd week for our honeymoon we would change to Secrets for a change of scenary which ended up being a HUGE mistake. We are not overly picky and just want decent service and a nice beach neither of which Secrets Capri had. The beach is the worst I've experienced in all my travels - it is gross... muddy and rocky with tree branches sticking out in the water...

Front desk staff provided horrible service we booked a king bed and ended up getting 2 twins for our honeymoon... we asked 4 times to be switched and was told the manager would get back to us and no one ever did... they could have cared less... on our check-out my husband tried to pay our room charges for 45 minutes and they couldnt figure out how to charge 2 credit cards or a debit card and didnt even apologize or just comp it after wasting our time... we couldnt wait to leave... in summary dont make the same mistake we did and pick this resort there are many other amazing resorts but not this one!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spencetine
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I should have written this sooner but I just couldn't find the words to describe how our trip went..WONDERFUL seems so mild...first off.there were 9 of us in our party. My husband and I were celebrating our 32 wedding anniversary with our kids (27 &24), their gf/bf, my sister-in-law and good friends. When we arrived 3 rooms were ready but ours was not..no problem, we started the check-in process. Our son and his gf were supposed to be there already as they had an earlier flight but were not. I was worried (the mom in me) as it was the first time either of them had been in Mexico and we had recieved a warning e-mail for the shuttle company about possible problems at the airport, while I was filling out the paperwork the concierge called and checked on my son's flight. By that time our room was ready so as we were getting ready to go to our room, Jay came over to inform us that our son was just arriving.. the week just got better and better as everyone at Secrets seem to go out of their way to accomodate us...Rogelio would ask us every afternoon where we planned on having dinner and at what time as we were a large group.. we didn't alway eat as a group but it was nice to know that we could if we wanted to. it seems that all we had to do is ask and someone was willing to help..one day we arrived at the pool to late to get an umbrella...we asked if there were any more and had one brought over to us..Louise did our room up with balloons in the afternoon and rose petals in the evening on our anniversary..we were in the Japanese resturant on my husband's birthday and they brought out a cake and everyone sang to him...Rita always had a smile on her face as she greeted us in the morning..Arturo always had the bloody Marys and coffees ready for us in the morning..Diego was very helpful when we were getting ready for a shopping trip into Playa..Juan at the pool bar is always smiling..he named a drink after me..all day long people were coming up to me and telling me how good my drink was..Jorge was very helpful when we decided to do the private dinner in the wine room....the meal was out of this world!! the entertainment staff..Serigo, Luis, Caitlin, Christopher...were always around to help out..Augustin at the Seaside helped me set up a private dinner for our son and his girlfriend on the balcony... I know I have probably forgotten some names..for this I am sorry...so many people did so much to make our stay at Secrets Capri the best ever...we've been 4 times and will continue to go as we truly do feel as we are "coming home" as they say when they welcome you...our family and friends were there for 1 week...we stayed on for a second week...it was fantasic!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Dalyce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!