“Honeymoon in paradise”

Ranked #39 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Honeymoon in paradise”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I spent 6 nights in Secrets Capri and 4 nights in Secrets Maroma for my honeymoon in October 2009. Both places were amazing in their own way and different thins to offer. I will review Secrets Maroma seperately....

I spent months looking at Caribean All Inclusive resort spots on this website and pricing them out. We paid about $600 a night, for an oceanfront suite and the unlimited spa package for my wife and I. I know that pricey, but the room was a major upgrade.

The Room -- I loved it. My only complaint was that the patio/balcony didn't have a covered roof, it had exposed beam with no covering. No big deal, I just enjoy having sitting out covered watching rain storms. It didn't rain much, so it wasn't a big deal. The room and view was beautiful. Bed was very comfortable, and maid service was amazing.

The Pool -- Cozy. Small, but I knew that going in, water was very clean without stinking like Chlorine.

The Beach -- cloudy water, and slimy ocean floor. Lounging on the beach was paradise, but the beach at Secrets Maroma is leaps and bounds better.

The All Inclusive Restaurants -- Great places. Not every menu item was great, but then again, not every menu item in every restaurant is for everyone. Portofino's lamb chops were great, so was sushi, the breakfast buffet, fish/shrimp tacos, the beach lunch bar... all amazing.

Overall, the hotel is smaller and very intimate. It was perfect for a honeymoon for two people who just wanted to escape the hustle of our real world lives.

The SPA!!!! --- ONE WORD -- AMAZING. The staff was amazing. We got the all inclusive Spa Package. My wife and I got 4 25 minutes treatments a day for 5 straight days. Came out to about $20 per treatment, which is a great deal. They were very friendly, and it really made our honeymoon. However, they made us book only one day in advance, while some other guests were allowed to book their whole week in one meeting. We discovered this while meeting some other guests there.

The other guests -- the other couples on getaways/honeymoon were very pleasent to be around. Very nice people. HOWEVER, there was an Astra-Zeneca (the drug company) conference at the hotel. Those guests were loud, rowdy and obnoxious drunks. Nothing is more shameful than seeing middle aged people acting like drunken teenagers. I don't blame the hotel for booking the conference, they needed the business (occupancy was 50% I heard)... but these people were beyond obnoxious. Standing on the pool bar dancing, screaming and yellng like idiots... I mean seriously, they are middle aged professional office workers... grow up! The women in the group were the worse, why is that?

Service -- It's my pleasure! Tip the staff, they deserve it. If you tip the beach waiter $5 when you first see him, and a buck when he brings you drinks, you will have a very good week. Tip the restaurant waiters $3 to $5 a meal, and you will be treated like Kings the whole week.

My only complaint about the hotel is really the front desk... I paid for 6 nights of the Unlimited Spa Package. My wife and I checked in at 4pm on Monday, so we couldn't get any spa appointments. I asked for one nights refund of the Spa Package. The front desk people were rude and ignorant when it came to this. They gave me ten different answers as to why they couldn't refund. They were smug and obnoxious. However, the Hotel General Manager came and resolved it. The hotel GM looks like Stanley Tucci a bit (silly side note). Alex Andrade the hotel GM came in and was EXTREMELY friendly, cordial and respectful. He took care of us, and we were pleased. He was a very nice guy, and I felt good at the end of the ordeal. Also at check in they tried to get me to pay upfront for everything.... I don't think so, my confirmation email said I pay at check out. It took 20 minutes for me to make them read that. They were obnoxious about it.

I would not go back, simply for the reason i would like to explore other all inclusive resorts in the Caribean, but for anyone who wants a romantic getaway with your spouse, I suggest it. Just don't be afraid to confront the front desk if they try to change anything on you.

Overall, we were extremely happy with our stay, the spa package made it all worth it. Our honeymoon was great there, the food was great, the service, the spa, and the room was a pleasent getway with our amazing view.

7 Thank CyberChicoTIme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,402)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas
Reviewed October 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I returned yesterday from a 5 day stay and had a great time. The resort property is smaller than I am used to, but that turned out to have its advantages: all rooms are a short walk to the beach, pool, and restaurants.

Property and arrival:

As mentioned before, the property is small, so everything is very close. Upon arrival, we received champagne and cold towel and were told we were upgraded from tropical view to ocean view at no charge- (room 423): the view was breathtaking.

Beach:

The beach had very soft powdery sand and I was able to walk around barefoot the whole time. The ocean had a very gradual slope, which I appreciated at 5'3 because I was able to go out a good ways and stay comfortably above the water and without fear of the ocean bottom slipping away. My only dislike is that the beach area itself is narrow (a bit shallow) as compared to other locations like the Grand Sirenis. There was seaweed, but hey, it's an ocean! They have hammocks on the beach and I loved it! I used it during the day and at night to listen to the waves

Pool: was very nice and the bartenders were quick to serve. People would occasionally reserve areas with towels- please dont do this, it is rude! (especially when secrets ask that you not do this if you do not plan to return to your lounge chairs for more than 30 min). My only gripe is that there is only one pool. Beach/pool towels are available at a stand without worry of towel cards

Food: my boyfriend found the food enjoyable, but I found it just mediocre, with the exception of Himitsu, which I found very good

Excursion: I highly recommend the Mayan Adventure Snorkeling tour as this beach/ocean is not good for snorkeling. The tour was excellent

Entertainment: not much, but what they do have (I heard a sax and guitar player), is very good. No discos, but do have a sports bar if you like that sort of thing (they also have Monday Night Football -sometimes on the beach on bigscreen!)

All in all, I enjoyed the resort and would recommend it for honeymooners or people who do not like to walk a lot to get to restaurants, beach

9 Thank DallasLisa
USA
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We spent a 5 day vacation at the Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun Hotel. Beautiful place, you are so pampered...feel so good. The hotel is adult only, no kids...so there is quiet and relaxation. The rooms are beautiful, we got an ocean view room. so every morning we had breakfast on the balcony looking at the ocean. Several good restaurants, we tried all of them. However the best are the Italian Restaurant and the Japanese one. If you want to have the food cooked in front of you at the Japanese restaurant you need to reserve it a day before. The personal was very good, good manners, taking good care of us. They almost can anticipate every wish. The weather was not so good, the ocean had big waves and we could not swim in. Not a big disappointment since because of the hurricanes the beach is almost nonexistent and the are tree roots in the water. This is a big minus, but it is a minus for every hotel in Playa del Carmen. However, the pool was wonderful. Half heated, half not...bar int he pool, etc.. If you want to go for a romantic trip with your partner, this is definitely the place. Very clean and big, roomy rooms.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank miki2055
Montreal
Reviewed October 20, 2009

The food and drinks were excellent. For breakfast they only have 1 buffet. For lunch and dinner they had 3 a la carte restaurants open at one time (maybe because it's low season). If you like your espresso in the morning, the buffet restaurant does not offer this. You need to go to the lobby bar where it is the only place that serves espresso. While the staff are well meaning, they are poorly trained on how to operate the machine.

24 hours room service is a very nice bonus in the resort.

The room were nice and spacious enough. The bed not so comfortable unless you like firm beds and starchy sheets. We sleep 2/6 nights while we were there. Upgrades to ocean front view worth the money.

Overall staff quite friend albeit slower at times.

The only thing that irkes us were:

1. They set aside a table/reservation for someone at the a la carte restaurant that never showed up where they said their policy is no reservation. Needless to say, we would have like that table but were turn down. Worst, they placed "coloured" drinks on the empty table so that it seemed occupied.
2. Their dress policy for men at the a la carte restaurant is long pants with closed toe shoe and no sleeveless shirts. My boyfriend and I dine 1 night with him wearing a black muscel shirt with sleeves of course and all the rest with no problem. 2 nights later wearing the same shirt, we were denied dining at the a la carte restaurant because a collar is also required. We made sure of the dress policy in advance to prevent this from happening. We had to escalate our concerns with 3 other people before we were served.

If you like to dress up then this resort is fine. If you are a kind of person who is more casual and like to kick back...this may not be the place for you.

5 Thank LolaBaggins
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, and had a fabulous time! It was our very first visit to this part of Mexico, and it won't be our last. We spent 5 nights and would have loved to have spent another 5! So you have an idea of the type of travelers we are: we have lived abroad and travel extensively throughout the U.S. and the world; we've stayed in everything from hostels to 5* chain and boutique hotels. This was our first time ever staying All-Inclusive, though. It was great! I did a TON of research before booking Secrets Capri, and our trip was arranged thru Unforgettable Honeymoons - they are wonderful to work with.

We had incredible weather all week during our stay - sunny, hot and a bit of humidity with daytime temps averaging 90 degrees with light breezes. Last day, there was a tropical thundershower around 1pm, but otherwise, lovely weather! Do not worry about traveling in low-season - the deals are incredible and the weather is fantastic!

ROOMS
Occupancy at the hotel was about 60% so there was no fighting for lounge / beach chairs; no crowded restaurants... just a nice, relaxed vibe. We had room 227 with a Garden/Tropical view and we could actually still sea the ocean from our balcony. Our room was very quiet - I'm so glad we did NOT upgrade to a poolside room with oceanview, as music plays throughout the day at the pool, and is a bit loud. We liked to be able to return to our room for naps or to relax and it was always quiet!

SERVICE
Service was absolutely stellar - the staff here works SO hard to make sure your vacation is wonderful. Each and every person we encountered - from check-in, to bellman, to restaurants and beach/bar staff - PHENOMENAL. I would like to personally commend Jorge, the Sommelier at Portofino; Christina, the hostess at La Riviera Buffet - she remembered our names each morning & cheerfully greeted us; Martina at Check-in; lovely young lady and she was so helpful and kind. PLEASE remember to tip here - I know it is "Inclusive" but the staff works very hard and $1 or $2 per drink or an additional few dollars after a lovely meal is no doubt appreciated - especially for the beach servers!

FOOD
I have absolutely no idea why many reviews of Secrets Capri are so harsh on the food selection and quality. While the food won't win any Michelin stars, it is tasty, plentiful, and well-presented. We had wonderful meals our entire stay and enjoyed the food immensely. We dined each morning at La Riviera for the Breakfast Buffet which was outstanding; lots of choices, fresh fruit, mimosas, omlette & chilaquiles stations; very nice. Mexican coffee was excellent!

We enjoyed the dinner at Oceana and Portofino has INCREDIBLE food! Try the fettucine with clams - delicious! We also did the special wine cellar dinner and it was an experience to remember with wonderful wine, great food and stellar service. We never tried room service - we like to eat out, not in our room.

I would say our lunch on the last day of our stay was not that great: probably 2 out of 5 stars - just "OK". I had the BLT sandwich and my fries were limp and barely warm and the bread wasn't toasted... not a huge deal. The other disappointment was the guacamole was really awful; made from an unripe avocado and there was no seasoning in it all. Kind of strange - but the fresh salsas were fantastic!

RESORT
The resort is small and nicely laid out so that you are never more than 5 minutes walking distance from the beach, restaurants, fitness center, lobby, etc. Also, the decor has a hacienda-like feel to it that is pretty and elegant - not over-the-top. We saw staff on a daily basis cleaning the main lobby fountain; mopping floors; dusting; etc. and the food areas were all very, very clean.

BEACH
We thought the beach at Secrets was lovely! Sand is white and super-soft... We did go for a mile walk south one morning, and sadly, once you leave the hotel property, the other "public" beaches are very dirty with lots of garbage on them. It's a shame. But in front of Secrets, the beach is raked and swept several times a day. Water is lovely and warm - a bit murky on a few days, but calm and changes colors every few hours. So pretty. Yes, the ocean bottom is a bit muddy in spots - it's the OCEAN, not a swimming pool. Walk in 3 or 4 feet where it is nice sand and then just start swimming out and don't put your feet down - NO DRAMA. I stepped on the bottom just to see how squidgy it was, and yeah, it was mucky a bit but not awful. Again, IT IS THE OCEAN.

ENTERTAINMENT
There was a sax player in the lobby one night and again another evening at Oceana; very nice music! We didn't go into the sports bar for the magic shows or late-night dancing; just not our thing. And we didn't play volleyball or any water sports other than taking a kayak out one day. We were here to relax.

SPA
I had a 50 minute neck, shoulder and back massage and it was heavenly. Followed it with a guided trip thru the thermal circuit and hydro pools. Very nice and a sweet young lady named Ana was very charming and attentive. The prices are high, however. As much as you'd pay in the states! I used a credit that came with our honeymoon package and saved $40, but still... really pricey.

Overall - we had a lovely honeymoon and really enjoyed our time at this Resort. I doubt we would return simply because we love to try new places when we vacation, but I would definitely recommend this property for a special occasion - it's beautiful!

9 Thank CAbeachbabe
Newnan, GA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel for our tenth anniversary and had a great time. The resort was beautiful as were the rooms. The food was wonderful. We ate at all the restaurants and all were very good, but our favorite was the seafood restaurant. After staying at Secrets we are scared to try any other all inclusive because it won't be able to live up to the high standards we now have after staying here.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shellzilla
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Everyone else has already said it all as far as the positive stuff goes... great staff, beautiful hotel, nice pool and beach! It was pretty much completely full with honeymooners and those celebrating their anniversaries... we knew because they put banners on the doors to announce if you have a special celebration.

The food was alright, but not many choices at some venues. The Italian restaurant had a waiter when we were there who was actually very rude to us (of course this was 2 yrs ago, he may have left since then). We tried to order our food and asked for an appetizer and then a pasta/entree each. He told us very rudely that we needed to only choose one thing each and that we were ordering too much food. We asked if the portions were large and he said yes... but when the food came, the portions were obviously NOT large. They were, in fact, quite small, the same as all the other places. This made us angry because it was then "too late" to order more food because the kitchen was closed.

That was the only negative experience, though. We stayed for 6 nights and were very happy overall. Our favorite part was the fact that this was a smaller resort and not like all of the HUGE ones that Playa is known for.

We also got a great deal on our package... $2000 total for two people with all-inclusive and airfare. So this place is very affordable if you look at the right websites for booking.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank audjie504
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!