“Better than advertised!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
maryland
“Better than advertised!!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2008

After a hectic fall, my wife and I decided we needed a little rest and relaxation. We did our research and ended up selecting the Secrets Capri to spend a 6 day vacation. I cannot express how glad I am that we chose this resort.

The staff is amazing, the food is outstanding, the resort is kept ultra clean, and everybody who works at the Secrets Capri is always gracious and eager to please you.

The breakfast buffet is awesome; crepes, omelettes, eggs any way, fruits, fish, pancakes, french toast, meats, mimosas, bloddy mary's, juices, etc. The sushi place, Himitsu, was outstanding as well. Oceana was lovely as was their food. The steakhouse had delicious steaks and terrific views, and the Taco and Ceviche bar was perfect for lunch. Portofino was our favorite restaurant, excellent Italian food.

We spent most of our time by the pool. We usually got there by 9 and stayed until 4. We did not select this resort for the beach. We live at a beach resort and appreciate great beaches, the beach at Secrets was obviously eroded and driftwood routinely washes ashore. They do spend considerable energy picking up the debris and raking the sand though.

Wait staff were amazing. Friendly and prompt. The drinks were delicious (who doesn't like margaritas made with GM?).

Our most difficult decision was where to eat each meal as the food was so good.

I would highly recommend this resort to individuals looking to relax in a quiet setting. If you want loud nightlife, this is not the place. If you want to recharge...this is it.

A heartfelt thank you to the staff of the Secrets Capri...you are all wonderful and you all ROCK!!!

My wife and I have been home for 1 day and are already discussing when we will return.

• Liked — great food, service, clean
  • Disliked — we had to leave!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jaymacdf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,340)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambs, England
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Stayed here for 10 nights from Nov 4th (08) onwards. Read a few negative reports on here before hand so we was really hoping that this place would be as special as we hoped and I can honestly say it was nothing short of perfection. Food-great, hotel-great, staff-great. As we had 10 nights we ate in all 5 restaurants at least twice and each time was a good as the first. My fave was the asian and my wife's fave was the Italian. The staff there really can not do enough for you and they was never far away topping up your drink or asking if you needed any thing to eat. Even when your sat on the beach there is a waiter running aroung brining drinks and food. Daytime enterainment was there if you wanted it. Played beach volleyball a couple of times, and beach football (soccer as some call it) a couple of times also. Evening entertainment was good but we got to see it all twice as it was on a weekly loop. All a bit corny but hey, your on holiday so sit back, grab a cocktail and enjor your self. My personal fave was the 2 piece band on the beach, doing covers of classic rock songs. Really was a special night and as I sat there under the moonlight with waves lapping the shore listening to the music with my beautiful new wife snuggling up next to me, I honestly could not have wished to be anywhere else on this planet. We met some great people there too, every body in that holiday mode where you just start chatting to total strangers. I mentioned to one of the entertainment crew (Ismael, top bloke) that I do a bit of running at home and before I knew it he had rounded up about 7 people and organised a jog so we jogged up to the gate house and back a few times. Our room was great, clean, big and just what we hoped for. We had a tropical view so not too much to see but because of the mozzies we never went onto the balcony much anyway. We didnt do any trips, we literally did nothing for 10 days but eat, drink and relax. Maybe we are both easily pleased but there was not one single thing we could moan about. We both got bitten alot but you are in a jungle. Im 35 and my wife is 26 and we both like to party and although it finishes up around 1 am we never once had a bad/boring evening and it was nice to get up most days bright and early and make the most of the days. All in all a top top hotel, can't wait to go back which hopefully be on our 5 year anniversary, Nov 2013!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Ben26-2
Pittsburgh
Reviewed December 17, 2008

My husband and I vacationed to Mexico for the first time. We arrived on Dec 1st and stayed until the 6th. After reading all of the reviews on here, I was so excited to arrive!!

Upon arrival at the airport we were bombarded with a man getting us to attend a free "breakfast" in exchange for any tour that we wanted for $40. We ended up at a three hour time share at the Mayan Palace. So Please be careful when you get approached at the airport. We did get our ziplining tour at Selvatica for $40 total which would've been $180.

When we arrived at Secrets, the men working at the door greated us with our last name. We were then taken to our room where they took pictures of us signing in. (not sure what that was for).

The Room: The room was beautiful. We were on the third floor with a balcony over looking the pool and the ocean. The bed was as hard as a rock. I called asking for a pillow top and they told me they were all out of them. I explained how the mattress was too hard for my back, so they ended up finding one. It didn't help much. My husband was bugged by the window seperating the bedroom from the bathroom. We could pretty much watch each other go to the bathroom, even if the shades were closed. Very interesting. Our bed was turned down everynight with little decorations on it. It was so cute. They placed a banner across our door that said "anniversary" since we were celebrating an early two year wedding anniversary.

The Beach: The beach was nice, not beautiful, but nice. The water was very cloudy and was not anything like Bahamas or Jamaica. I couldn't even see my feet. The staff kept the grounds very clean.

The Food: The food was good for the first three days. On our third day there, I ended up with food poisoning. I do not think that my omlettes egg was cooked all the way because I ended getting so sick which put a damper on the vacation. My husband enjoyed all of the restaurants and still keeps talking about the food. Our favorite was the steak restaurant. The filet was delicious!! We did order room service one night and that was not so great. Again, I am not picky at all when it comes to food, it might have just been because I was not feeling well.

The Entertainment: The entertainment at the hotel is ok. We watched two different shows two different nights in the ballroom. We watched a magic show as well in the dance club. There really is not much going on in the evenings. They have a bar in the main lobby where everyone seemed to sit around and converse. One night we did go to the gaming area where we played a few games. We were planning a trip to experience the nightlife in Cancun but I was not able to do that due to falling ill.

We did do the zip lining tour in Selvatica. That was awesome!! All of the staff was so nice and helpful. We really enjoyed ourselves! We also took a trip to Playa del carmen during one afternoon. We were walking to the entrance of the hotel to take a collectivo and were approached by a taxi driver that offered to take us there for $6. We did go with him. On the way home, we were trying to find the collectivo station. We got lost through the streets of Playa trying to find them. They were on 20th that crossed with 4th and is only $4 total to get back to the hotel. Totally beats the $28 that a taxi would've charged. Playa is beautiful and the shops were great!!

Staff: The staff was very friendly. Upon returning from our timeshare, I left my camera and sunglasses on the bus. My conciege hunted this man down who brought my stuff back to the hotel. The man began demanding $45 off of me for returning my articles. I was planning on giving him something but the hotel took care of it. Our concierge on the third floor was so great. Everyone at the hotel is very pleasant and helpful.

I would def return to this hotel with hopes of not getting sick again. I loved the property and the awesome weather that we had!! Having two babies of my own, going to an adult only hotel was awesome!!

• Liked — The beautiful hotel and room
  • Disliked — Raw sewage
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank tmboss17
new york city
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Just returned back from Secrets capri and I have a mixed review. When we first checked in I was told I was unable to get a king size bed and would be in a room with a double..Got to the room and the tropical view was of the parking lot and some bushes..That was room 501. Went to see if i can change rooms and after hundreds of dollars later they got me room 519, great room worth the extra money.Not sure maybe they did that on purpose so i would upgrade?? The room was clean and very modern and so were the grounds.. Staff was friendly but nothing over the top. Would recommend the massage one of the best we ever had. One thing i strongly urge not to do is the romantic dinner on the beach. It was a small table surrounded by other couples. The food was right out of the restaurant right behind us whichi had the same items the night before. They should be ashamed to charge what they did for the so called romantic dinner. Overall had a good time not great . I personally would not do and adults only resort in the future..

Stayed December 2008
4 Thank ericNewYorkCity
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Wonderful time at Secrets Capri Nov 27 – Dec 4 2008.

This resort is perfect for us in many ways. Not too big, ocean views abound. Loved to dine in an outdoor setting, a la carte, for breakfast, lunch and every evening for dinner. Note, on some evenings there is a special menu for the “formal beach dining” on the patio and tables set up on the adjacent grass area (see photo). The food was always delicious in every restaurant, especially loved the appetizers. Plan to visit the Himitsu one night to try the Teppanyaki table and another night to order off the menu. As said before, the sushi is excellent. Most important, never a need to wait in line to “schedule” dinner (one of my pet peaves), just arrive at the restaurant and you will be seated in a timely manner.

There was also never a need to“reserve” a palapa or umbrella for shade on any day. Waiters continually walk around beach and pool to ask if you want a drink or a snack. Cold water and fresh towels available in baskets near the walkways by the pool and beach . Pool temp was comfortable (heated side) and outdoor Jacuzzi was popular when the sun set. Some nights candles were lit and champagne placed nearby.

To address the beach condition - it was a non-issue for us. We did not swim in the ocean, though it was still beautiful to gaze at while lounging under a palapa with a cool drink. I believe the southern end of the resort’s beach is the least rocky, and they are constantly working to clear the debris (that poor little guy with the wheelbaro works so hard). IMO, in general, the beaches in Mexico have suffered greatly because of the hurricanes, and therefore cannot compare to the beaches in the Dominican, Jamaica or other Caribbean islands. We greatly enjoyed long beach walks south past the very exclusive resorts – Mandarin Oriental, and the Mayakoba properties…the beaches are wide and flat there and the water color more Caribbean blue. We walked up a path to sneak a peak at the El Camaleón Golf Club at Mayakoba…the PGA will have a tournament there in Feb 09. Looks like a beautiful course (see pic) and info online.

All of the employees take pride in their work, are always smiling and friendly, and are VERY eager to please. Special kudos to Juan-bartender at the pool bars, Oscar and Efriam (sp?) -beach/pool waiters, David - server at Taco/Ceviche bar, and the very sweet Fanny -waitress in the lobby bar.

We did take part in some activities like kayaking, catamaran, archery and of course the tequila tasting! We were never bored and we never left the resort once! We have traveled to AI resorts for the last 10 yrs, usually 2x per year. This is the most stress-free vacation to date. Exactly what we needed!

Feel free to PM for any specific questions.
Celia & Tim - Ohio
P.s. wanted to make a note we used jeromitransfers and received the best rate for private transfer to and from airport. Thanks Miguel!

• Liked — The layout and size of the resort. Delicious fruity cocktails (try the bi-polar)!
  • Disliked — Public restrooms at times needed attention.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
10 Thank derekmom
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed December 15, 2008

We travel to the Caribbean at least annually and this was our second trip to Riviera Maya; first visit to a Secrets Resort. At this point, we always opt for all-inclusives.

Hotel Grounds and Staff- The structure, common areas, and grounds were very clean and well maintained. The free Internet access was hugely beneficial and a first among resorts we have visited. Staff was pleasant and willing to assist. We tipped often, but most did not and there was no notable difference in service level.

Entertainment- We saw a 2 cover bands in the night club that were fantastic. We also watched a 2-man comedy routine in the theatre, which was entertaining and encouraged a lot of audience participation. We stopped by Casino Night but didn't play, as it was crowded and seemed to be dominated by the senior guests of the resort. We weren't sure what to expect with the Mayan show, but found it to be interesting. Pool and board games filled some downtime during rain showers.

Bars- The lobby bar martini menu was a highlight. There is a standard drink menu available throughout the resort and we sampled nearly everything; very good frozen selection, but a bit light on the alcohol for some recipes. They are willing to adjust alcohol levels to taste, if requested. The bartenders also were able to quickly mix up any off-menu requests we threw at them.

Food- The food was excellent. The quality, presentation, and taste ranked among the best we have seen at any hotel; domestic or international. I don't quite understand all of the comments about small portions on TripAdvisor. The portions seemed appropriate to us, especially when you consider there are often numerous courses to each meal. We never left a restaurant hungry. If you do, there is always free late night room service as a back-up.

We sampled every restaurant on the resort at least one time during our stay. We agree that the Italian Restaurant and the vast breakfast buffet were tops. We had to try the fish tacos that everyone mentions, and yes, they were good. The open-air seafood restaurant was the best atmosphere. The best lunch spot (aside from the servers bringing food to your beach chair) was the restaurant adjacent to the pool that converts to a steak house at night. The Japanese Restaurant was par with most you find in the US, with our only disappointment being the lack of sauces we are used to recieving at such restaurants. Try the Green Tea ice cream. It sounded bizarre, so I had to try it and it was actually decent.

Beach- This is the only real negative part of our review. While the layout is good, with plenty of chairs, shelters, and a fine wait staff, the in-water experience is the worst of any location we have visited in the Caribbean. The water lacked the trademark blue and was very cloudy with visability of less than 6 inches underwater on most days we were there. The water was very rough by Caribbean standards (but still calm by Pacific or Atlantic Coast standards) even with no sizable storms offshore during our stay. There is also a heavy layer of rocks and shells upon entering the water, and we never dreamed on needing water shoes in the Carribean until visiting this location. The hardest-working and most underappreciated employee at the resort is the nice gentleman that walks the beach all day shoveling rocks and seaweed that washes ashore.

Pool - The pool was a good size for the resort with your typical swim-up bar and volleyball areas. They claim it is partially heated, but we aren't sure which because it all seemed a bit cold throughout. In all fairness, there were some chilly nights during our stay that contributed to the issue.

Rooms- It's fair to note that we would trade a nice room for a nice beach everytime, so our review of the room may not do it justice. The layout was spacious with a sizable balcony and spacious bath with marble throughout. The king bed was comfortable for us. Even though we rarely spent time watching TV, it offered a decent lineup for rainy days with all major US networks and some premium channels, including HBO, Cinemax, and Playboy. Those with a tropical view may notice a sulfer oder from the swamp, so it's best to always keep the balcany door shut. The mini-fridge was stocked daily and upon request.

In summary, this resort is a nice beach away from being nearly perfect. Great food, facilities, staff, and rooms.

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank PittPanthers
NJ
Reviewed December 13, 2008

My husband and I chose Secrets Capri for our honeymoon after several months of research on this site. We arrived at the hotel and were immediately served cold champagne. This was just the beginning to our extremely relaxing honeymoon.

We requested an oceanview room and were extremely pleased with both the room and the view. The marble bathroom with double vanity and whirlpool tub (for one) was immaculate, and the shower was huge! The hotel itself is on the smaller side, which we liked because it was easy to get from one area of the hotel to another. The pool is huge and the swim-up bar is fabulous! If you like to sit out on the beach and people watch, there is a photographer that comes by daily with a small animal to have your picture taken with. We saw that some people really enjoyed this and others just ignored the guy. There was no pressure to be photographed or purchase prints, and I liked it just to see the different animals. There are also activities you can participate in, like volleyball, aqua aerobics, horseshoes, etc. We did take advantage of the spa while we were at Secrets, and we HIGHLY recommend it. You receive an activities guide (the Sundial) each day that outlines what time the activities will occur, describes the night time entertainment, and announces peoples' honeymoons/anniversaries (love that!).

There are five restaurants at the hotel, with our favorites being the steakhouse (Seaside) and Himitsu (Asian food). At all of the restaurants, the portions were just right, and the wait staff were wonderful. Food and drink service ocean/poolside was also excellent.

If you are debating a place for a honeymoon or romantic vacation, I absolutely recommend Secrets Capri. Regardless of whether you prefer to relax by the ocean/pool or get involved with activities throughout the day, you can do it. Picking the location of our honeymoon was more difficult than planning our wedding. However, all of the research paid off, as we had a great time and are hoping to go back for our one year anniversary.

• Liked — Clean, extremely comfortable room; great service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beach_and_Sun_NJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,055 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#50 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,200 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!