As UVC members, we've had multiple experiences as Secrets resorts. Secrets Capri did not disappoint.
The Property: We read a number of reviews indicating that the property is in need of significant renovation. We did not find that to be the case, although if you made it your mission to find some areas that could use a bit of work you would likely be successful. While we were there we saw painters working on the outside of the Oceana building by the pool as well as remodeling of the restrooms. We were told by a front desk person that the resort was going to receive much more renovation over the next year. That said, we found the property to be in generally good shape.
The Pool & Beach: There is a beach area, but it is small due to erosion. They are working all up and down the beach (at every resort) to try to save and rebuild the beach. The pool area was great ... the pool is large enough, there are plenty of lounge chairs/cushions/towels, the food & drink service is very frequent and friendly. We had Orlando many days during our stay and he was attentive and enjoyable to talk to. We also enjoyed the music around the pool ... not too loud and mostly 70's-90's top-40/pop.
The Entertainment: There is entertainment available all day (and night) long. You are left a schedule each night in your room when they do your turndown service. There is no pressure to participate in the entertainment, but it is almost a certainty that you will find yourself doing some of the activities ... and it's fun. There is yoga, water aerobics, beach walks, bike rides, water bingo and blackjack, dart tournaments, and the list goes on. There are also activities around the pool such as Spanish lessons, sushi making, guacamole making, tequila tasting, and competitive poker ($20 entry fee, winner takes all). Victor and Jonathan were a blast, and Eric and BMW were also fun. The nighttime entertainment was pretty good overall ... the comedian was hilarious, the 70's rock night fun, the Perfect Couple game totally crazy. The fire show was OK. We missed the acrobatic show, but it looked like it would have been good (we thought it was at 9:30 like the previous few nights, but it was actually at 8:30 ... oops).
The Food & Drink: Some was very good, some was OK, and none was really bad. There was some inconsistency in the food. For example, one night we had dinner at Oceana and the salmon was excellent ... so much so that we went back about 3 nights later to have it again, but this time it was not very good (maybe a different chef that night?). The Barefoot Grill and Cactus Club (very casual, right next to the beach) were both quite good. The tenderloin taquitos are excellent as was the corn on the cob cooked on the charcoal grill. You will not go thirsty no matter what you want ... bottled water to premium drinks ... they have it all. There are daily drink specials (both alcoholic and virgin).
As others have mentioned, a few dollars tip here and there is appreciated but not overtly expected. We left housekeeping a tip each day and the room was well kept, with some special touches such as towel animals, extra towels and other toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shaving cream, a razor, toothpaste were all on the bathroom counter). We generally left $5 dollars at dinner and also $5 or so for service during the day around the pool. Not a lot of money to us, but it can add up for the locals and they work very hard ... rarely would 15 minutes pass without someone walking through our area looking to see if we needed anything ... they won't bother you if you still have a drink and don't stop them.
Miscellaneous: There is free wi-fi and calls to the U.S. which was very helpful ... both worked well. If you don't bring a laptop or iPad, you can use there computers in the business center to check email or whatever for free. There was a safe in the closet and we had no issues with anything missing. We had dinner on the beach our last night, and while a bit expensive, it was very well done and we enjoyed it very much (it was very windy, which we were told is always the case) ... the lobster was excellent. We did the dinner when they had Mexican night by the pool, which meant we got to have the live music in the background while we ate. The spa prices are very high so we passed on that this time, but we did hear positive comments from other guests about their spa experience.
In sum, Secrets Capri is what a vacation should be!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, a proud unlimited luxury resort has received special recognition from the esteemed readers of Condé Nast Traveler Magazine in Mexico and AAA as a Four Diamond Award resort. Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun was awarded the Best for Romance and Best Luxury-World by the 2008 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards. Only TripAdvisor's hotel awards represent the opinions of millions of travelers. The winners were determined by a combination of the highest traveler ratings and the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, a measurement of overall traveler satisfaction. Situated five minutes from exciting Playa del Carmen and a short 35-minute drive south of Cancun International Airport, the world's second largest barrier reef lies just offshore, while underground rivers, caves and jungles lure adventure-lovers. Bordered by sugar-white beaches and the brilliant, crystal clear Caribbean Sea, this Preferred Club, Unlimited-Luxury, adults-only oasis truly embraces beauty and splendor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Mayan Riviera
- Secrets Cancun
- Secrets Capri Riviera Maya
- Secrets Hotel
- Secret Hotel
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Secrets Playa Del Carmen
- Riviera Cancun
- Hotel Secret
- Capri Riviera Cancun