“Great Vacation Spot”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #42 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just returned from Secrets Capri Riviera and had a great time. Aaron and Quetzal looked after us at the swim up bar. Orlando took care of our needs around the pool. Stephanie was the gem of the resort looking after entertainment and recreational activities. Edward was our breakfast wait staff while Rita turned out the best omelettes on the grill. Can't say enough good things about the activities and care we received during our week. Although it rained every night, the staff did their best to dry up the decks and chairs to make us comfortable.
We took a trip into Cancun with Eduardo and he stayed with us all day, taxiing us around to the various places of interest.
A favourite spot to visit while staying at the Secrets Capri was Rio Secreto! Amazing caves.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank LaurieC502013
Write a ReviewReviews (10,013)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I just had our 4th stay at Secrets Capri, and it gets better each time. We love all of the little extra things like the small plate of treats you find in your room when you return from the evenings entertainment. At the pool in the afternoon they come around and offer fruit on a stick, yummy! The entertainment staff is the best we have seen, loved Jonathan and Stephanie. We keep going back because we like the smaller size and the way they make you feel special. We are already looking forward to our next trip.

6  Thank Laurie A
Reviewed August 17, 2013

For $1,500 to $2,000 more we could have booked another resort with better food. I am very happy to still have that money in the bank for next years vacation. Secrets Capri is a small beautiful intimate resort where in a weeks time you get to know the staff and other guests. Their were plenty of lounges to sit on around the pool. The pool was never crowded and big enough to find a spot if you wanted privacy. The two negatives of the pool were not enough floats (hint:bring your own inflatable) and short staffed pool bar. They set up a charcoal grill by the pool and barbecued burgers and dogs every day with condiments nachos and fresh salsa. The Hibachi,Italian and Cactus Club outdoor were the best restaurants, the Coco Cafe had great coffee a wonderful staff. I do wish they provided more sweets. They had the same four items every day. While I golfed my
wife went to the spa and said it was a wonderful experience. The room was first rate and the houskeeping could not have been better. We had unpacked quickly and our bathroom looked like a
cyclone hit it the first morning. When we got back from the pool that day everything was neatly
arranged. Nitely turn down was appreciated. The very best thing about this resort was the entertainment staff. Friendly high energy and wanting to please. They worked ridiculously long hours provideing entertainment around the pool during the day then working the evening shows and dance floor. Standouts on that staff were Jonathan with his constant smile and great sense of humor and the absolutely amazing STEPHANIE, this tiny little package of energy works her buns off to make quests feel welcome and have a enjoyable experience. She is very passionate about her love for what she does. I don't think we would have enjoyed our stay as much without her. Stephanie es una persona hermosa por dentro y por fuera! Although I was skeptical about traveling to Mexico I will definetly go back on my next vacation. Not only was the entire Secrets Capri staff friendly courteous and helpful, but the cab drivers( I used frequently for three rounds of golf and a trip into town) and merchants in Playa del Carmen were very nice people, all bilingual informative with good senses of humor. I felt safe at all times. I walked a mile in each direction on the beach and Capri without a dought had the nicest beach. I don't really think this is the place for 18 and up singles with or without your parents but if your a young couple, honeymooner, or any couple of any age looking for an intimate relaxing romantic setting at a very reasonable price this is the place. And look for Stephanie, she's the best!

2  Thank JefffromPhilly
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Secrets Capri is a vacationer's heaven. My husband and I had a wonderful experience on our trip from August 6-11, 2013. We wish we could have stayed longer. The one factor that makes this place paradise is the people that work at this resort. I have never met a friendlier group of professionals in all my years of travel.

When we first arrived our room wasn't ready so we headed to a lovely lunch by the pool before checking in. We found our room with a Happy Anniversary Banner across our door. The room was extremely clean and was spacious. There was a bottle of champagne on ice. The ocean view from our room was spectacular. As other reviewers have posted, the room and furnishings are a bit dated. The mattress was super comfortable and housekeeping was wonderful.

My husband enjoyed the wonderful Beer Tasting hosted by Oscar and Perla from the Seaside Grille. The Beer Tasting was one of the many activities to take part in. We ate at the Seaside Grille and Oscar treated us like royalty. We also did the Tequila Tasting. It was also quite enjoyable.

Our days always included many scrumptious drinks from Aaron at the Manatee Bar. From the moment we sat down at the bar, he was attentive to our every need. No matter how busy the bar got, he always had a smile on his face.

Our favorite evening meals were at Portofino and Himitsu. Scrumptious foods. We were not thrilled with the International Buffet which we ate one evening. There was plenty of food, but with a buffet sometimes the quality is lost. We dined often at the Cactus Club for lunch. YUMMY. Simon waited on us several times and was the most attentive waiter we had. There was no need to ask for a drink refill with Simon, it was like he read your minds.

Now for the stars of the show- the entertainment staff. Without this great group of people, our trip would have been just average. Words can not express the fun these provided for guests at the resort. Jonathan treated us to a lagoon walk and kayaking. He played pool volley ball with us and also helped with our sushi lessons. Jonathan also was the water aerobics instructor on several days- making us feel sexy! Jonathan made all activities events to remember. We met Stephanie and Victor during the Mexican Carnival Games. Boy did we laugh during the auction to win crazy prizes with the "money" we won at the games. Stephanie taught us Mexican dancing and how to make guacamole. She is so proud of her heritage and encouraged all to embrace the language, food and people during Mexican Night, which we did. Victor was a great referee at the Ping Pong Tournament as well as the Texas Hold "Em Competitions. At the end of our trip we met George. Another fabulous person to round out this staff. He made my husband feel like a million bucks at Pool Bingo and Pool Black Jack.

The only real negative was the Fitness Center. The equipment was rusty and non-usable. We are exercise people and this was a big disappointment. Guests do not need a large fitness facility but they do need equipment that works.

We would return to this resort in a minute. It is small and the attention to detail was outstanding!

2  Thank vegasgirl66
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Secrets from July 26th-31st and I cannot say enough good things about this place. We had an amazing time. The staff was friendly and made you feel very welcome. The food was very good, we went to all the restaurants and were not disappointed with any of them. As for the accommodations we once again were not disappointed the room was very nice. The one thing was there was a small leak in the ceiling. However, once we called the front within 2 minutes there was someone there to patch it and they were gone within 5 minutes. Which once again shows how amazing the staff is. The entertainment was also amazing there was always something to do. I would definitely recommend this hotel, it is perfect for couples who want a getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmandaPaq
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I'm not going to go into all of the wonderful things about this place because there are so many thorough reviews on here to cover that. We've been to 4 all inclusive resorts in Cancun and this was our first time in the Maya Riviera, and yes, this place was amazing! We only stayed for 4 nights but it was plenty of time to relax on the beach everyday and enjoy all of the wonderful restaurants. The only bad thing is my husband started feeling sick on day 3 and I got sick that night. We've been home for 9 days now and we are still sick (intestinal problems). I normally wouldn't write about being sick but I keep seeing reviews where people say they got sick. I'm really not sure what it was from. We were very careful with not drinking any tap water and even brushed our teeth with bottled water just in case. I did notice that all of the bars had germ-x bottles available which I thought was a little strange. So maybe we got a virus that our bodies just aren't used to or something??
Anyways, besides being sick this place was great. Of course since it's our 5th time to Mexico and our first time getting sick, it will make me think twice about going back.......:(

4  Thank Twagne1
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We traveled to Secrets Capri on August 10 and stayed until the 15th. The entire trip was great from start to finish.

First, they make you feel very welcome as soon as you drive up. We literally felt like we were "someone" the whole time. They do such a good job of meeting every need you have and then they go above and beyond!

The hotel is on the smaller side which we enjoyed because we weren't having to walk a mile to eat or head to the lobby. Our room was beautiful, it was a suite with an ocean view, we loved it. Housekeeping did an excellent job at keeping out room sparkling clean and providing turn down service every night.

I can't put into words how much we enjoyed our stay, loved the staff, the entertainment staff and everything in between. If you are looking to be treated like royalty and enjoy some relaxation without a huge resort this is the place for you!! We will be back for sure!! Thanks Secrets Capri for a great vacation.

2  Thank Ashten J
#11 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#31 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!