“Nice Family Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Nice Family Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our trip consisted of my mother, sisters and I. Our age range is 80 to 49. We always have a blast together and this time was no different. With my sister having a bum knee, we opted to pick this smaller resort rather than one of the larger ones. The size of the resort was fine, but the layout of the elevators and the grand staircase wasn't too good. Just a little bit inconvenient as to where you needed to go, although we did ok.

I was wanting this to be an incredible experience since it was their first time to an all inclusive so I personally may be a bit more critical since I have others to compare it to. However, with that being said, my family loved it and we did have a wonderful time with no complaints. I normally travel with my husband and we've been trying to go to new and different all inclusives for a few years now.

The place itself is very nice. The rooms are incredible, so very clean, comfortable and large.
Our first floor rooms faced a forest/jungle so not much of a view but very private. Nice balconies off each room.

The food was just fine. We always had plenty to eat with the buffet and the restaurants were very good as well.

I wasn't totally impressed with the beach or the ocean there. The water was pretty rough and it was hard to walk around due to the sharp coral and shell. We did arrive just 2 days after the tropical storm had passed so that may have had something to do with it (my husband and I just returned in May from Jamaica and the water there was so incredible clear blue and calm, so maybe that is what I was hoping for). We managed to get about 20 minutes in the ocean and that was enough.

The pool was wonderful. Spacious and clean. Just one little mishap when I cut my toe on a seam of concrete while in the pool. When I saw that it was not wanting to stop bleeding, we went to the medical center only to find out that they did not even have bandaids. Not sure what they treat there, but if you just need something as simple as a band-aid, you might want to pack some with you.

The Spa was extremely nice. We had great pedicures and the entire atmosphere is so pretty and relaxing. Everyone working the spa was great, and we enjoyed the little ride from the resort to the Spa as well. The driver was so fun and informative.

The workers and staff at this resort are great, very friendly and accomodating. The service around the pool is incredible, they definitely take care of you.

We enjoyed the iguanas and the coati mundi that visited us daily. A lizard did get into my sisters' room and that was a bit of a funny fiasco. The workers took care of them and came to the rescue (of both the lizard and my sisters).

We really only saw one good show and that was Mexican night. Those guys are incredible and the food around the pool, the vendors and music was all so much fun. The other show was a bit lame, a comedian that wasn't too funny.

We had a favorite shop at this resort and that guy took care of us. We enjoyed stopping by and visiting with him even when we were not buying anything. He definitely has the nicer items as opposed to the gift shop.

The drive to and from the airport to this resort is quick which is really nice when you are ready to start or must end your vacation.

To sum it up, our experience was a very good one. It is what it is, a small resort that works really hard to make your stay pleasant. You don't get alot of food choices, or entertainment but we just went for a few days (June 19 - 23rd, 2013) so overall we were pleased and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HonestReviewer1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,276)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Jonathan - Jorge - Black diamond - Victor - Jesus are an amazing team or entertainers that make sure you vacation is packed with activities from beach and pool volleyball, walks to the close by lagoon (real cool) water ballon volleyball, Zumba, beach Olympics, etc... I am actually still at the resort,but they are do awesome I needed to write this brief review now!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Degerolamo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Absolutely love this place!! Rita started our mornings out with amazing omelets, Sergio hooked us up at the bar, Jonathan kept the entertainment going and Arturo made us feel like VIP's when it came to sushi!! Over all could not have asked for a better honeymoon!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Tmgallardo
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed from July 8-13th and really enjoyed our time at Capri. Originally, we tried to book Secrets Maroma and so we were bummed when we could not get into Maroma, but we opted for Capri instead knowing it was slightly cheaper. I had read some reviews about the beach not being very good and was concerned because we are defininitely beach people. I can happily say that we were not disapointed and were happy with our choice. The rooms were decent and comfortable, we were happy to stay in the basic room since we really don't spend much time in the room anyway. The beach was well taken care of, and the ocean was fine to swim in- so calm somedays it seemed like a pool versus being an actual ocean. The food was consistently good across the board, some dishes were better than others but there was nothing that made me turn my nose down. We have been to other resorts down in this same area and I think the food at Secrets Capri was significantly better than others we've been to. We loved the Coco coffee shop and made it a tradition to enjoy a pre dinner cafe there nightly.
Where Secrets Capri truly shines in my opinion are the staff. I felt like there were so many times they went above and beyond what I would have expected to ensure we were having a good time and that we had everything we needed.
Miguel with beach services was wonderful and Antonio with the entertainment staff made a big difference for us. Thank you!
For the beach people out there- definitely rent a beach cabana because it's worth it. We paid $60 for 5 days and it comes with perks (bottle of wine and strawberries). It was wonderful having the beach cabana waiting for us instead of having to deal with finding a spot to park it for the day.
We saw a couple of the shows which were fun and got to sit front row because we ordered a bottle of wine....but we are wine people so it was great for us. Otherwise we drank the house white and red wine which was certainly quaffable.
We were invited to the special "chefs dinner" one of the evenings which was delightful.
I really don't have any complaints to speak of- like other reviews I have read we were hit up for the time share deal when we first arrived. We said no thank you to the gentleman and he dropped it- I would not have described the situation as high pressure.
Overall I would have to say that the resort was great and the staff were fantastic.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wildflowers1971
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

It's taken me this long to write this. We stayed here in November 2011. We were on honeymoon. I would recommend here big time. Great location, staff were brilliant, food excellent, facilities excellent. Everything about the place was 100%. We will definitely be back at some stage. There was no dates for 2011. I just hit August 2012 so I could submit it.

Room Tip: We found no problem with our room. That's our tip.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2003Dublin
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just returned from Secrets Capri. I have to say, it was one of the best vacations ever. My husband and I went with another couple to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. This resort was great. There is plenty to do if you want or you can just do nothing like we did. The pool was great and relaxing. Pool bartenders really took care of us. Restaurants were fantastic. My favorite was the Italian, but you can't go wrong with any restaurant on the property. Entertainment staff was the best. We really enjoyed our time away and highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: First floor rooms can be a bit nosier from rooms above you. Room 170 had a smoke order
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lori W
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Hubby and I stayed at Secrets Capri for a week – July 6 – 13th. Coming from the Tampa area, the flight is direct and literally takes just over an hour, so this area is extremely convenient for vacationing for us. It was our second time in Riviera Maya, and our first time at this particular resort. We used Lomas Travel for our transfer and they were smooth and efficient as always. When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by a gentleman bearing cold cloths, and a young lady who offered us chilled champagne and bottled waters from a silver tray. This is before we even walked up the stairs to the front door. We were immediately escorted to a desk in the very pretty lobby area where our check-in was quick and painless. One thing to note: we arrived around 7:00 p.m. At that time, the “sales” people are gone for the day. Our check in person told us to stop down to the concierge desk around 9:00 the next morning for our “coupon books” etc., but we really didn’t want the timeshare sales pitch, so we never did. They called our room looking for us, but we were poolside. Just note that’s one way to avoid the sell, should you so desire.

We were in room 111 which is just steps away from the “party” side of the pool which is the side with the swim-up bar. We loved this location, but then we spent a lot of time at said swim-up. It was also right next to the wedding gazebo, so we got to see some wedding action. The room itself is very nice – marble floors, very comfy bed, large flat panel TV, IPod docking station, etc. The bathroom is well-appointed with a jetted tub (though a bit snug), separate shower, two sinks and plenty of toiletries. Yes, the toilet is behind a glass door, but if you desire more privacy, just close the main door to the bathroom. The wooden shutters that open onto the bedroom area are easily closed and do not present a problem. I do want to address some of the comments about “noisy Americans” at the pool. We did experience one day where there were exceptionally rowdy folks on the “party” side of the pool, and I could understand where someone who was looking for peace and quiet would be annoyed by that. However, the other side of the pool is much more quiet and so you do have the opportunity to go there or onto the beach if need be. Just be aware of this if you get a room on that side of the resort. Also, the umbrellas were not all hogged – we were out there around 9 or 10 in the morning and easily found loungers by the umbrellas. The floats are another story altogether. The resort most definitely should consider purchasing more of them to at least double what’s currently on offer. This is not a particularly expensive proposition and is really necessary as folks absolutely hog the floats – grab them first thing in the morning and hold onto them all day long. Some people actually put them under their chairs when they weren’t using them. This is a theme you’ll see over and over – Secrets should take note.

During our stay we dined at all the restaurants and found them to be decent. Portion sizes are somewhat small, but that’s okay with us as there is plenty to eat or you can head to the Buffet and eat all you want (we had dinner there on surf & turf night and it was really good). Not every restaurant is open every night and you have to check your Sundial activities sheet (which you get delivered each evening) to find out which are open. Our best meal was at Seaside Grill where we each had a steak that was cooked perfectly, very tender and delicious. We also really liked the seafood place upstairs (Oceana) and had some very good fish entrees (we also watched a couple get engaged down on the beach during this dinner, which was very cool). The Cactus Club grill which is right on the beach was great for breakfast, as was the buffet (great eggs cooked to order at the Buffet and a mimosa and Bloody Mary bar). The coffee shop was awesome to catch a quick Espresso or Capuccino or cup of tea and light snack. The lounge is right there too with free computers. Also, you get free calls to the US from your room (as long as you call a landline). We ate every lunch at the poolside BBQ, which was wonderful. A very sweet and happy gentleman named Arturo comes around the pool in the afternoons with a cart with chips, fresh guacamole and pico de gallo and then comes around later with skewers of fresh fruit that are absolutely to die for. Poolside wait staff are great – very attentive and will bring you food from the Cactus Grill right to your lounger or to the beach. Juan at the pool bar is simply the best – never without a smile and the best service ever! Esther at the swim up bar did a great job as well and was always smiling. Jonathan, Viennay and the rest of the entertainment staff work SO hard. There are a plethora of activities offered every day from Tai Chi, Yoga, rifle shooting, horse shoes, beach volleyball, Spanish lessons, kayak tours, water aerobics, Texas hold’em, bingo, Zumba, darts, golf chipping, bocce, beach soccer, football, Latin dance lessons, and on and on. There is a movie offered outside every night (weather permitting) and the evening entertainment is also pretty good, though I was very bummed that we missed seeing the Elvis impersonator, as I heard he was terrific. The Mexican Fiesta night was really fun with great music. “Lounge night” is simply a bunch of vendors that set up by the pool and offer a variety of trinkets and such. The Disco is jumping till late at night. If you get a room close to that, you will most definitely notice. If late night dancing is your thing – you’re going to love it. There are also more sedate options such as a great singer, Roxana, set up in the lobby two evenings and also a piano player one night.

Housekeeping and turndown service was great and each night except one we had towel animals on our bed (I did tip a few bucks in appreciation). The staff at Secrets work very hard to the point that one evening a friend of ours who was having trouble sleeping, saw a worker on the beach at 3:00 a.m. with a miner’s light, raking seaweed. Speaking of the beach, it is small but very adequate. Snorkeling is definitely not good so don’t bother. However, if you bring some bread out in the mornings and go into the water about to waist depth, the schools of Permit fish will swarm around you, literally jumping out of the water and going crazy for the bread. It was very cool if you like that sort of thing. Also there are a couple of Coatis that roam the property. One who is pretty old by the looks of him, curled up on our patio and went to sleep after a snack (he loved hamburgers). Definitely don’t pet them, though!

To end this very long review, I would recommend Secrets Capri Riviera as a lovely, smaller resort with great staff and a very active vibe. The age group was mostly younger, but there were a good mix of middle-agers and seniors there was well. We made some wonderful friends while there and will keep in touch. I’m happy to answer specific questions, but overall, I’d say our week at Secrets was awesome and relaxing and it’s hard to come back to reality.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the pool are quieter. Third floor rooms have some water damage on the cei...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LollyMoz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#55 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,664 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#27 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,859 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!