“What more can you ask for!”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #42 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived til the moment we left, we could not have asked for more. The resort is immaculate. There is always someone working on it. I can not say enough about the staff, I don't think we ran into one person there that could not go over and above on a request. Most importantly the people that we found to be the best were Juan at the pool bar always smiling and happy to see you and always ready to have your drink ready. Esther at the pool bar was new but she seemed to already fit in, always smiling and trying very hard. The entertainment staff were incredible, they work many many hours each day and I don't ever think I saw any of them without a smile on their face, especially Jonathan, Stephanie and Vinnay, I wish I could have 1/2 of their energy. We can not wait to return and we hope the staff there will still be the same as they were superb!

2  Thank tkolzer
Write a ReviewReviews (10,009)

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

After many options to choose from, my wife picked this resort and what a awesome choice it was!!!! This is an adults only fairly small resort but with great Internet connectivity every where and absolutely unbelievable staff. Let me start by Rita at the breakfast egg station... Aaron at the bar, Carlos the guy getting the drink orders around the pool, Laura making special coffees with licor on the lobby area, the man serving guacamole and fruits around the pool (we cannot recall his name) .... And finally ... In my opinion the spinal cord of the resort ... The entertainment team!!!! Although all the staff is really friendly, they were the reason we LOVED the resort. JONATHAN, VIANNEY, JORGE, JESUS, VICTOR, ALBERTO, STEFANNIE, KAHANA ... These guys were awesome, words cannot describe what they do for the guests. Always smiling an making sure everyone is part of the activities, they are just amazing. We leave this place felling like we became their friends. Also the nightly shows are great. Real good magicians, Musicians and other entertainers. We more than recommend this place, hoping to be back soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank GiovaniMaria
Reviewed July 11, 2013

In 2012 we stayed at secrets maroma and the property and staff was great. So we decided that we would check out other secrets resorts because we wanted the preferred club and we stumbled across capri with a preferred club room. Little did we know that "everyone is preffered" had I would have known that I would not have booked. Anyways we stayed in a "deluxe ocean view room" that was blocked by palm trees. One morning the roof started leaking horribly not just a little leak we were drowning. I told the concierge against the hall about 9:30 - 10 am that morning and he said that he needed to check on another room so we waited in our room to find out if we needed to pack our bags to move to another room, we waited until around 2pm with no answer finally we posted on the e-concierge's facebook and he asked us to go to the lobby to meet him? Ok so we met him there and he walked up to our room we just wanted to know if they were going to move us so that we could pack and find something to do until the room was ready. We finally get moved about 5pm to another room right by the bar and ballroom which was very loud all night, and our a/c sounded like a helicopter flying over. The view was worse from this room. It took us posting something on facebook to get an answer. That night we went to go to dinner at the Italian restaurant we had a few beers because of the rough time all day and we wanted to wait until 10:30 to go eat so we did we showed up at 10:25 knowing that it does not take long to get served and eat. Immediately the waiter asked for our order, I asked him to give me a few minutes to look at the menu and his reply was "we are closing can I take your order" I ordered lasagna just so that my wife would order and at this point I am so upset that I did not eat. It seemed like most of the wait staff at this property had bad attitudes other than the bartenders. Keep in mind that I still tipped this waiter I believe in tipping and tipped the entire time we were there. So the next day I asked to meet with the concierge again and addressed all of the issues and he seemed to be concerned. So after that was the 4th of July activities we did some beer pong which we won the entertainment staff said to find them later that they had a prize for us. After that was the hot dog eating contest which I won also, my wife did not participate. I was told again to find them later that we had won a prize. So we found Jesus later and he asked where we would be that he would find us, he was the one who owed us for the beer pong, we also got the same response from I think his name was Miguel, who owed me for the hot dog contest. So we waited for 2 hours..... nothing. That night I got nausea and vomiting all night not to mention that we had diarrhea the entire time we were there I believe from the quality of the food. Friday morning our last day there we packed so that we didn't have to that evening and we just took it easy out by the beach. About 6 or so we were contacted and invited to the wine cellar for a dinner and we refused because we just wanted to relax and we didn't want to unpack to get our dress clothes out we just wanted to relax. We asked what the prizes were supposed to be from the day before that we had supposedly won and were told he didn't want to ruin the surprise he asked me to find the entertainment staff and asked what was a good place and time. I did not receive an answer for about an hour and a half by this time we were showered and ready for bed I asked him if I could just pick it up on checkout because we needed to get up early. The entertainment staff brought a stained t-shirt and a shirt that was too small for my wife some cheesy hat and some vanilla. What a "surprise". My wife and I are appalled that we spent our hard earned money to stay at this resort and that it is the same brand as Maroma. We love Secrets Maroma and will stay there next year but we will never return to Capri.

3  Thank bmcwhort
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I just spent 11 days and 10 nights at Secrets Capri. We loved it so much we never left the resort! We really hope to go back in the near future. Food, evening entertainment and service were excellent. They cleaned our room twice a day! Or only complaint is that if it rains there isn't a lot to do but chance that something in english is playing on HBO. Otherwise we would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: W selected the VIP pool view. It was quiet and we just walked out our patio door to the pool every...
1  Thank amanszab
Reviewed July 9, 2013

the staff at capri did a good job making us feel like home with a big usa show including uncle Sam and the lady liberty on the 4. The capri is getting old but is kept up by a staff that is friendly and smile at you. they try to help but i think management is getting a little cheap with services quality and it shows in food service.

2  Thank vitPhila_
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent the long 4th of July weekend at Capri. We've stayed there several times but haven't been back for a few years. Just stayed at Silversands in May. It is a smaller resort with only 1 large pool with a swim up bar and a small hot tub, but I must admit the service and food was absolutely excellent! We would definitely go back. We can't say enough about the staff. They remember who you are and go out of their way to make everything perfect for you. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and courteous. We haven't seen that for a while at other hotels. The maid service was quick and our room was always done early. If you go, bring your own float for the pool since there aren't many of them. We bought Spring Floats at Walmart for $5. They are lightweight and fold up and pack easily in their own case in your luggage. This is really not a hotel for singles to mingle. Mostly honeymooners and couples celebrating anniversarys. We can honestly say we had a wonderful time at Capri and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean front suite.
2  Thank buzzyPhiladelphia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As promised this is a follow up from my review of the hotel whilst I stayed there titled 'excellent until you have a problem'
I stayed at the hotel with my husband for our honeymoon 22.6.13 until 6.7.13, we had severe sewege smells coming from our shower and were less than impressed by the concierge attitude however we received a call from the chief concierge Ronaldo Miranda who offered us a private meal in the Italian restaurant which was a wonderful expeience as whilst the meals are all inclusive this came with a complimentary bottle of wine, a private waiter and a five course spectacular meal, compliments to the Chef!
Ronaldo also provided us with complimentary late checkout.
As I stated in my previous review the overall attitude of the staff was fantastic and there were a few whose friendly welcoming nature stood out, Perla and the rest of the staff in the steakhouse. The Hostess at Breakfast who repeatedly taught me and my husband how to say our room number in Spanish!
We loved the Hotel despite the few small issues and would like to say thank you to Ronaldo for assisting us with our concerns.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightclub if noise disturbs you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#11 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#31 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!