“Very Accomodating”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Very Accomodating”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I travel in a wheelchair and many resorts don't make it easy. Our room was perfect with a nice jungle view. Most hotels don't have ocean view handicap rooms and sometimes we have had parking lot views! The staff couldn't have been more helpful and genuinely friendly. The pool was easy to enter and just delightful. The 2 restaurants in a stand alone building had steps. There was a ramp leading in through the kitchen and the staff met me there to bring me in to dinner. The seafood restaurant was on the unreachable second floor but staff brought us the menu and brought the food down to us. The only problem I encountered was that the public bathrooms in the lobby,by pool and restaurants did not have handicap safety bars. I was promised that this problem would be addressed before a return trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,361)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Labrador City, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

After reading about 500 reviews i was expecting an average resort with good food and a not so good beach. i was right about the food, the seaside grill was by far the best place to eat on this resort. the bbq rids were really good and i think in 12 days i ate them 4 times. another reason why i picked this resort is because of the size. it is the perfect size for me and would be one of many reasons why i would go back.

Before i get into what makes this resort stand out the most i would like to mention some areas that could use some improvments; the first being the lamps in the room, they were falling apart and didnt seem that safe to be used so i unplugged them all. another area that could be improved is the AC, we could not change the temp in our room. the issue that stands out the most is the general maintance of the rooms, my patio door would not lock and being on the ground floor it needed to lock, it took 5 calls to the front desk to finally get the lock changed and on the last day it broke again. none of these issues are enough for me not to go back.

The main reason to go back to this resort is the staff, they all go out of their way to give you what ever you ask for and not one of them ever said no to anything. Juan at the pool bar always remember what i was drinking and always kept my glass full.

The entertaiment staff are amazing, there is not enough time to decribe how much they go out of their way to make your visit everything you can expect and more. Jesus, Victor, Jonathan, Kahana, and Andrea stand out the most, these guys do not get enough credit, they make this resort what it is and should be reconized for doing it, they are amazing. the rest of the entertaniment staff deserve a metion as well, Alex, Alberto, Stephanie, Ivonneck, and Isay you guys are great as well i just didn't get to know you as well as the rest. there was one staff member that i was not impressed with and that was DJ Chris, we found him to be very rude on more then one occasion and it seemed like we were bothering him everytime we spoke to him. my wife asked him a question one night and he would not even respond, he just walked away and left the bar.

There is one more person that i would like to mention and that is alfredo, who cleaned our room almost every day. our room was better the spotless. i was really impressed how much attenion to detail he puts into cleaning the rooms. we often left in a hury and he would put everything in its place. Job well done.

Room Tip: we requsted a room on a higher floor bur ended up on the ground floor. way better choice everything...
loudon, New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed May 1, 2013

7 days in Mexico, first time for us and we had a great time. Nice size resort, food was great, entertainment was more than expected. Nightly live shows and daily activities all made possible by the most excelente team in all of Mexico, Victor "VIC LE BOM", Alberto "THE BLACK DIAMOND", Isay "I-SAY', Jesus "JESUS BANANA", Jonathan "PIT BULL", Andrea "THE PRINCESS" and all the rest including all hotel staff. Awsome energy and positive attitudes made for a fun trip. One night they had an Elvis tribute by Reggie, this guy was a top notch entertainer doing a really cool spin on his act. If your in the Carribean and this show is available dont miss it even if your not an Elvis fan you will be surprised and delighted. Thanks guys for a great time from the most excelente couple Mama and Papa from New Hampshire. The Asian restaurant was good. Never made in the the Italian joint but heard it was good. Ceviche bar at the beach was great, best nachos and guac we had. Plenty of drinks and wine. Rooms are nice marble throughout clean every day like new. beach is narrow but decent, most people seem to stick to the pool which could use more shade. A nice walk north will put you in a lagoon thats well worth seeing. The resort coupon are worthless, you can only apply around 10% toward anything, we never use one. Now to my biggest complant and its with this Aqua World crap. I triied four times to get a mask and snorkel never getting anymore than a different reason everytime, and it seems that the hotel has no real control over that deal. they gave the concierge the same bull$#!^ reasons. Plenty of wildlife roaming around including this big blue crab that lives in a hole by the pool. If you go into town be prepared to deal with aggresive sales pitches, but lots of good deals on merchandise. We bumped into alot of good people willing to socialize and have fun. Definitly would return.....

Room Tip: I dont think there is a bad room.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Charles Dickens nailed this resort square on the head...

We spent 10 days here in mid April. On our second day we thought we would never want to leave, by the eighth we thought our stay would never end.

The best of times...

We picked this resort to renew our vows, and do not regret that at all. The wedding planner was so organized, all we had to do was be dressed and wait in our room on the day of the ceremony. And it was just perfect. The flowers, the cake, the music and Adventures Photo, that is right on site, did an amazing job of capturing the event and making up a photo book for us. Esteban & Perla were wonderful photographers and fun to be around.

The staff... What can you say about the staff? Words can not reflect the service that they provide. I hate to admit it but I am bad with names and only remember a few like Oscar one of the pool and beach waiters. Victor on the entertainment team and Stephanie whom we never formally met but went out of her way to say hi to us every day while running from one activity to another.

I regret not getting the names of the 2 beach waiters who took such good care of us every day. My wife is not much of drinker and they joked with her every day about if she wanted another rum and coke. She was only drinking coke. I myself was asked every morning "cerveza, margarita, or Bombay and tonic señor" my three drinks of choice. Most of the mixed drinks were not to our taste coming across as being overly sweet or alternatively loaded with alcohol. And we have to admit that we were disappointed in the quality of the wine, it tasted very young. Other hotels we have stayed at in the area have much better house wine by far.

The room was very nice and clean. And the bar was always full. On the first day I left a note in the fridge asking for mucho sparkling mineral water, which there we 2 of upon check in. We received 6 the next day and 8 every day there after, along with everything else that was standard fare. Whom ever was refilling it was well rewarded for his/her effort.

The turn down service was very nice every evening. We received new towels for the ones we used for our after beach showers and towel art every day.

Being on the ground floor and having a junior suite we quickly found out that in the evenings, and during the day too I'm assuming, there was bar service right on our patio. A very nice touch.

We didn't use the pool much even though it was only a few steps from our room - one of the reasons was due to the hotel's clientele. The primary topic of conversations seemed to be monetary one-upmanship which we found distasteful and quite loud. The pool however was very clean and had good bar service. We loved the ice cream and the fruit cart in the afternoon.

One nice thing in the evenings is the outdoor movie. To be able to sit outside and have someone bring us drinks and popcorn was a huge treat. My only complaint would be to please keep the movie light and upbeat. A lot of people use this as a time killer before their restaurant pager goes off and some movies just don't work well for light viewing - ie "Argo", "Les Mis"

The worst of times...

The food here is very good. And the wait staff excellent. But just once it would have been nice to have a conversation with my wife while dining. We even had trouble ordering one night from the din that encompassed the room from other guest that carried their poolside conversations about how great they are into the restaurants, only at an elevated volume.

Our second last night we had 10p.m. reservations for the teppanyaki at the Japanese restaurant, which is well worth making reservations for. By this stage of our stay we had learned to dine as late as possible to avoid the "din crowd" We sat with 2 very nice young American couples who without prompt apologized to us for their fellow Americans once they found out we were from Canada. They must have disliked the earlier crowds as well.

The lobby bar closes at 11p.m. And you are expected to move downstairs to Desires which is too loud to carry on any kind of real conversation. One night we thought ahead a had stocked up on drinks for a nice long visit with another couple in the lobby after 11. I guess this was not allowed as they promptly turned all the lights out on us.

While we would love to recommend this hotel based in the service and staff but we just cannot. We certainly didn't fit the demographic this hotel seemed to attract. We were made to feel uncomfortable by our fellow travelers and we realized how many fundamental differences there are between Canada and the U.S.A. And to our American fellow vacationers - no, we're not Communists for having universal access to health care and for not carrying handguns, as some of them so rudely pointed out.

This place is amazing. The staff is over the top. The food is out of this world. But all can be ruined by a few upper middle class Americans who think this resort is their own private beach club.

1 Thank Knowmyeats
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The resort is absolutely beautiful. The staff is courteous and bending over backwards to get you anything you need. There are tons of activities to enjoy or you can simply lounge by the pool or on the beach. My husband and I were there for our 25th wedding anniversary and booked a private dinner on the beach. I however became chilled from the wind, but our waiter Rolando never missed a beat and insisted on moving our dinner to our suite. He brought everything to us one course at time and still made the dinner special. There were plenty of food choices, however I do not recommend the Hibachi grill it was only so-so. Only draw back to vacation, we booked a golf outing which is shown on the website as complimentary greens fee. However when we arrived at the course, there was a $50 USD charge for the cart and $35 USD charge for a morning tee time each. This was not explained to us up front when we booked the tee time. All in all though I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting to be pampered and not have to worry about anything.

Room Tip: We chose a Jr. Oceanfront suite and ours happened to be on the corner. It was nice and spacious. T...
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We travelled this past month with another couple and overall we enjoyed our stay however I think we need to start with the negatives.

Before getting into the negatives, we are not complainers. If you check our past reviews on here, you will notice that my reviews rarely point out the negatives as the pros usually outweigh them. Here....not so much. The negatives we encountered were large enough that they certainly could ruin a vacation. Anyhow.....

Cons:

Stomach Issues:

Of the 3 of us 4 were sick. Myself...I found that I was affected TWICE...I had mayby 2 days where I didn't have to know where the exits/bathrooms were. Because I had already been sick, I started to avoid the fruit & veggies and pretty well stuck to carbs..that only leaves two possibilities, the ICE or the washing of the cups at the pool bar. They would toss out the contents of the cup, gave it a rinse and then gave it to the next person. Not sure if the water they are washing with is filtered but either way, was nasty to see.

We made quite a few friends there. They also managed to get sick as well. Hahah..even one couple who thought I was exaggerating...two days later approached us looking like zombies. Even they had it, lol.....my recommendation, avoid the ice & bring your own cups

Check In / Room Assignments:

Another LARGE con was the check in/room assignment. I had heard on here that some people who booked Kings were given double rooms. I was not going to have this happen so I had done a double check by emailing the concierge in advance and confirmed that our King room reservation was received and duly noted. I received a response and brought my PRINTED copy to the resort. I suggest you do the same.

We arrived at 7 am and had not slept on the plane so when we arrived the fellow said he could give us our rooms but they had no kings left. I told him we'd wait for our Kings and also mentioned that we were NOT intererested in doubles as that is not what we booked or paid for. He told us we'd have to wait by the pool then. We agreed that would work if it meant we had King rooms and went to the pool. I should also point out that I advised him that we did NOT need our rooms to be close together. Just wanted our Kings. Around noon I went back and they were still not ready so we went back to the pool to continue waiting. At 2 pm I went back again to avoid the 3pm check in rush and sure enough they had our keys. My friend & I left the boys at the pool and went to see our rooms. GUESS WHAT? DOUBLE BEDS!! We could not believe it. Why did they have us waiting at the pool for 7 hours then? I called the front desk, was left on hold for 10 minutes, gave up and phoned the concierge. He said he would phone me back. 20 minutes later no call. My girlfriend went down to tell her husband about the mess and I phoned the concierge back.

Needless to say, her husband had to have an embarrassing disagreement in the lobby while I told the concierge we would like our rooms fixed or to please refund our money so that we could stay elsewhere. I hung up to then receive a call from my friends husband who informed me that front desk wanted PROOF of my email to the concierge. There I was running around like a turkey, located the emails and went down to join the embarrassing debate in the front lobby. FUN VACATION right? Not really.

So I sat down with Alan the front 'manager' and showed him the email to which he pointed out that no one is guaranteed a room. I asked him what else a client/guest could do aside from what I had done? He had no answer but after further discussion he FINALLY agreed to move us the next day. We would need to live out or our suitcases for the day but the next day we would have our king beds. The next day we did have our King rooms by approx. 2 pm. Not an ideal situation. A guest should not have to go to those extremes to be given the room they booked.

Also...on this note. After our week there we had met another SEVEN couples who had the same issue and many of them were still sleeping in doubles and were not being moved. Those who did get moved had to pay an upgrade fee to an Ocean Front room.

Oh...a quick tip. At check in, they'll try to direct you to the VIP team to get the useless coupons and those are the team who sells you the time share, visit to the Maroma. We told them we would like to eat, went to the restaurant and didn't bother to go and see them at all. Save a good half hour that way :)

Ok...now onto the PROS:

-The atmosphere at the pool and at the resort was amazing.
-The grounds were beautiful. Everything was close by, beach, pool, lobby, rooms. Didn't have to walk much at all.
-Food, I can't say enough about Rita who does the eggs. I really did enjoy her and if I could have, would have brought her and her family with me, hahaha. Food was great everywhere. Enjoyed the deserts, etc.
-Entertainment. I decided to partake in the Karaoke one night and felt welcomed by the entertainment crew and other guests. We really did have a blast. The hypnotist was great. If I hadn't have the stomach issues I would have gone up to be hypnotised!
-Rooms...beds so comfortable. Cleaning staff did a great job. Had a few towel animals and found that the cleanings in the mornings and the turn downs made the trip even more enjoyable. If you don't get a cleaning or a towel animal, we found that the concierge on your floor would make it happen. We were on 2nd floor and our concierge was great.
-Beach...we went to check out the other resorts to the north...Secrets beach was the nicest of the 3. Oh and if you want a great personality as your beach waiter, sit in Oscars section.

Overall the trip had more positives than negatives but the negatives were huge. They need to figure out WHY so many people were getting sick. Almost every couple/group we chatted with had SOME if not all of the group sick. If you read some of the other reviews below mine here, a few big groups all got it. Secrets..you better get it together. Would I recommend it to others..probably not.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything...........I'll post some photos later.

2 Thank Mlfontaine
Quebec
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went to the Capri from March 30th to April 6th. Simply said, this is an excellent resort, not “very good”, excellent! It is hard for me to understand that some people are writing excellent reviews but still rate it 4/5 which means very good. It deserves 5/5. Some may compare it to other excellent resorts that they preferred over the Capri but still, this one deserves for sure an “excellent” rating.

Two years ago we went to the Secrets Maroma. This year its price went up drastically so we decided to try the Capri. Secrets Maroma is rated #1 of all Riviera Maya resorts on TA. Now that I’ve tried the Capri I just don’t understand why it is only ranked #43. It is not that much different of the Maroma after all! I mean you get the same great service, the same food, same shows in a smaller environment. You do get a few more things at the Maroma like 1 or 2 more restaurants, a few more activities like bicycles. The Maroma is newer and has a larger beach etc. At the same price I would choose the Maroma but at about 65% of the price, the Capri is a much better deal!

My main concern from the reviews I had read was the beach. But once on site I was like “what some people were complaining about?”. I have posted a picture of the beach taken from the water on TA. Have a look at it, it is just a great white sand beach with no rocks! Not as big as what Maroma has but still, it is excellent to me! Go to Barcelo and try walking around without hurting yourself, you’ll see what I mean...

Some also complained about finding chairs, it wasn’t an issue for us at anytime. Don’t forget that people leave the towels on chairs when leaving, a chair with no personal belongings is available! Also the staff put towels on all chairs early in the morning. If you only see a towel on a chair then it is most probability avail!

About the food, all restaurants were excellent! I saw some review complaining about the food at the buffet, why would you go to the buffet? Except for the breakfast of course... Actually even for breakfast you can go and eat at the restaurant which is right next to the beach. The buffet for breakfast was very good, went there every morning except one. Then for lunch you want to have a seat outside at one of the two restaurants close to the beach. There is also a grill but not my kind, I prefer to relax at a table looking a the sea with a good beer! For diner just get your beeper before you get your drink, your table should be ready just at the right time! Don’t hesitate to ask suggestions to your waiter, they will tell you what are the guest favorites, you can’t go wrong this way!

It was the first time I was going to a smaller resort like this one. Now that I’ve been there I’m not sure I’ll be able to go back to a larger one. I mean you are on the beach, you decide you want a coffee and you just have to walk 2 minutes to get to that great Coffe Shop they have in the lobby! Everything is so close I loved it!

2 Thank Nick20102
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#58 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!