“20th year anniversary” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Panama City Beach, Florida
“20th year anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We chose to spend out 20th year anniversary in Cancun this year. Secrets Capri went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was memorable. From the very welcoming check-in to the seamless check-out and everything in between, our stay exceeded our expectations. Making reservations was a breeze, the food in each restaurant was amazing. Our room service, pool bar service were speedy and friendly. The resort is clean and absolutely beautiful. Our room was beyond compare with a gorgeous view of the ocean. We particularly loved walking around and enjoying the various wildlife that make the resort their home. It's not very often in one's life that you get to spend time enjoying nature "up close and personal". We would definitely visit this resort again.

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms are gorgeous. We had an ocean view - if you've never had that, yo...
5 Thank cindy_roach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,280)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oil City, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Traveled to Secrets Capri for a much needed vacation. This small resort was exactly what we were looking for great food, a quiet location, and wonderful service. My husband and I stayed in a tropical view suite and had a view of the water. The bed was very comfortable. The amenities in the bathroom were top-notch and, yes, they did have conditioner. I'm not sure why in the world Secrets designed their bathrooms that way, but, yes, the lack of privacy is a bit much. The service was exceptional. The entertainment guys work really really hard! Wow. The entertainment was fun including a magician, an Elvis impersonator (my first!), and a Cirque de Sole type of show (it was really good). Daily housekeeping and turn down service was reliable. I left a kindle and my watch out one day, by accident, and no problems. My husband had them overstock the Corona in the small 'fridge and (whoops) one fell out and shattered on the tile floor. Our housekeeper kept saying "no problem." I wish she'd just come home with me! The restaurants were very good. Other folks have discussed reviews and I concur. Fish fish fish! Loved it. The chef would grill it for you on request. Room Service was always on time. We ordered a big pot of coffee delivered each morning. Mmmm....Mexican coffee. The downside is that this is an older resort and could use some "freshening." Also, the concierge for the north building does not follow up with requests for wake-up calls etc. Not that big of a deal, however, I was glad that I had called and double-checked for our last day. Easier for me to do it myself. As other reviews have stated, the beach is non-existent. Wonder why there are no "whales" here to save the beach from erosion? The pool was wonderful. Secrets Capri was a great experience. Say "hola" to Arturro when you see him at the pool!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LaurieTravels62
punta cana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We loved secrets capri on our honeymoon. Everything was just perfect, we stayed for 12 days and would love to return one day.
Beautiful sunny days every single day, arrived on April 23rd 2012.
Food was excellent, service was great. Time shares will always be offered once you arrive at the hotel, we did it, by visiting a hotel = got a free dinner on the beach. But it was 3 hrs long....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I just returned from vacationing at Secrets Capri last night during Christmas holiday season. I marked the experience as average and I feel it was only that. The resort was small compared to all of the other places we have stayed in the area. My VIP package included FREE golf, however the golf experience would have been over $100 USD which is far from free. The food choices were less than average of the restaurants we did eat at, and the buffets that were outside at the pool areas were a little better. The daily activities were the same as any other resort we have stayed at over the years. This resort is the 3rd Secrets resort we have stayed at, 2 in Playa Del Carmen, and one in Jamaica and I would rate each of them similar with small differences. If you are looking for a beach at this resort, you will be highly disappointed as we were. The sales package shows a wonderful beach, however we were shocked as other people were we talked with during our stay. The beach area in my opinion was a little dangerous with stumps, rocks, etc at the water line and in the water. This was the same all up and down the area regardless of which resort you stayed at. The nightly entertainment was average to slightly below average with the lack of entertainment. Upon checking out on Saturday, I was asked to fill out a survey from Excellent , good, fair, poor and N/A and I thought it was odd that more questions were asked about breakfast than any other meal. Once the survey was completed, the book was stored in the desk drawer at the reception desk and not to be reviewed by other guest. My comments sounds like it was bad at this resort, however it was as I stated earlier it was just average. The resort did have some good aspects, so please do your research before you plan. I was asked during the survey if I would return or recommend to other people, and I stated that I would not.

Room Tip: get a pool side room
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Gary S
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We spent a wonderful 5 nights winter break at this beautiful, all-inclusive resort. The facility is excellent, the numerous restaurants are perfect, the pool is very nice, wifi coverage was very good everywhere we needed it, the beach was very nice but a little short. Two things to be aware of - First, leave your valuables in your room, in the safe. My wife accidentally left her purse in one of the restaurants and when we went back to get it, the purse was there but her cell phone and some cash were gone. Fortunately, she left her ID, Passport and credit cards in the safe. 2nd - I don't know for sure, but on my second day there, I had an upset stomach like I've never had before and it lasted until we got home. Water? Don't know... But something was quite right. Other than those two issues, we had a great time.

4 Thank TomT-Aurora-CO
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Before I say anything about this hotel, I will say this - the staff is INCREDIBLE. They are so kind and so helpful, and we really enjoyed meeting everyone. They work insanely hard behind the scenes and give everyone a fantastic experience. We are not usually all-inclusive people, so having people wait on you is not common for us! They really went above and beyond.

Overall, we had a fantastic trip over Christmas. Yes, things are a little cheesy, but that's what you get at a resort :) We "embraced the cheese" and ended up having a great time and meeting a lot of fun people. The entertainment each night was much more than I expected, especially the rock show. During the day, there are a ton of little activities for those who do not like to lounge (my hubby, ha) or you can just relax at the beach or pool. The beach is a little small and a little rocky due to hurricane damage, but we had no complaints - it was still very nice and we enjoyed relaxing there.

I will mention that we had to change rooms, ONLY because we were placed right next to the housekeeping storage room and it was very loud. They immediately moved us to the first floor (where you can just walk right out to the pool) and it was great. The room was huge and lovely. Bathroom was fantastic, with a whirlpool tub and a standing shower. Everything is marble, so things can be a little loud - bring earplugs and you'll be in good shape!

As for the food: The food was pretty good, but there were some things that stood out. We had breakfast each day at the Riviera buffet, where you could get eggs/omelettes to order which was great. Tons of options, very happy there. We ate lunch every day at the Cactus Grill by the beach. This was by far our favorite food of the whole trip. They have a huge list of ceviche and small taco options, we loved everything we had! This was the only place to consistently get actual Mexican food, something we were missing at dinner each night. For dinner, we tried all of the restaurants on the property. We weren't blown away, but mostly things were tasty. My only advice is to avoid getting a steak at the Seaside Grill unless you like well-done steak. I never eat steak, and decided to just go for it and order it there... I asked for medium rare and got well done. Very sad for a foodie girl like me. Regardless, we had a good experience.

If you want to make friends and meet people while you're there, get into some of the entertainment staff's activities during the day and hang out at the pool. If you go to the Desires club at night, there are always fun people to have a drink with... and maybe a little dancing, too :)

Thanks to a wonderful staff, we had a very nice vacation and would definitely recommend this place!!!

Room Tip: We recommend rooms on the "first" floor (which is on the floor of the pool). Much quieter!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Moriah H
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I booked Secrets Capri Riviera for my 50th Birthday and as a Travel Agent I did do a bit of reasearch , I was not to worried about the negative comments as I find some people seem to nit pick about silly little things and the majority of the reviews on Secrets Capri was highly recommended.

We arrived after a very Comfortable flight in Club Class with British Airways (again this was my 50th Borthday Treat ) we were greeted with a nice refreshing glass of Champagne and face cloth to freshen up, we were shown to our rooms , we had Tropical View room 513 and our friends had room 512 , I must admit our room was a lot larger than our friends room and seemed to be wasted space where they could have a sofa etc but we were not complaining as our friend's room was quite a bit smaller and when you have suitcases etc the extra room does come in handy. The Bathroom was massive and had a hydro bath and a seperate walk in shower and two sinks and in excellent condition , What was really nice is that they had every thing you could think of , toothpaste , razors , facecloths, shamppo.conditioner, body lotion, suntan lotion , sewing kit and so much more and this was topped up everyday which I have never seen in all of my travel's and I have travelled a lot.

We were advised that we had two 3/4 beds which was not a problem for us , they asked us if we would like them pushed together which we agreed to and this was done at the turn down service in the evening.

As mentioned in previous review's the staff are amazing and certainly make the Hotel the way it is , nothing is to much for them and they are always making sure that you have a drink.

The Hotel is a lovely Hotel and has five restaurants and a coffee shop and although the Hotel was full the restaurants never felt busy , all the outside areas were very well maintained , they have a Swimming pool split in the middle by a bridge , one side is heated and the other side is unheated which waas really nice as sometimes you do need to be refreshed after being in the sun.

My thoughts on the Restaurants are as follow's:-

La Riviera Retaurant :- This was a buffet Restaurant which was used for Breakfast everyday, lunch and dinner , there is so much choice you want to go back more than once to try everything , for breakfast they have a pancake station and egg stations where you can choose which way you would like your eggs cooked , omelettes etc very tasty and they servce champagne and freshly squeezed orange juice along with smoothies

Catus Club Taco and Ceviche Bar:-Again this served A'laCarte Breakfast with Mexican theme and lunch, we went there a couple of times for breakfast and lunch and one of our favourite things we had was fish and chips , the batter was so light , definately try the Cactus Grill for breakfast as well as the choice is so different to your normal breakfast but really lovely.

Portofino Italtian Restaurant:- Very good choice of Pasta dishes, steaks , salads etc , the only downside is that the lighting is so low which is really nice it give it a lovely ambience but they had to give us a torch so we could see what was on the menu , again the food was very good and the choice of wines although I do not drink wine my husband and friends seemed to like it. I believe this restaurant is only open in the evenings.

Oceana Restaurant:- was located upstairs overlooking the pool area , Italian in design , they served some lovely seafood and fresh fish and there was steaks and chken and lovely salads again, this was only open in the evenings.

Seaside Grill :- located downstairs from the Oceana and has outside seating as well as inside seating and this overlooks the pool and the beach , they serve some amazing seafood and fresh sea bass and grouper , well worth going to this one and it is open for lunch and dinner.

Himitsu Restaurant:- This was my favourite , we saved the best until last and we were not disappointed , we booked to sit at one of the three stations that they have where the Chef gives you a display before he cooks your food , they are amazing and the food was excellent, you do get a choice of two main items ie , prawns and steak or chicken and steak etc so there is something for everyone , they serve you a little salad , then a fish soup and then cook this wonderful food for you along with fresh vegetable stir fried and sirfried rice follwowed by icecream cooked in batter , sounds strange but really lovely.

Coco Cafe:- this is brilliant a little coffee shop that is open from 0700 in the morning until 2200 at night where you can go in and get lattes , americano's expresso's, frappochinno , you name it they will do it along with a great big choice of tasty donuts , fruit tarts , carrots cakes cookies and so much more , at lunchtime they have sandwichs and panni's so nice and you do not have to pay for anything, they even have a little coffee station just outside the coffee shop in the evenings where they prepare Irish Coffees etc.

Rendevous Bar:-Very good Bar open from 0900 until 2300 where you can get all top brand drinks , cocktails , Mimosa, kia Royal's etc very nice bar.

They have an extremly good selection of entertaiment every evening , normally there would be a guitarist or pianist in the bar from 1900 for an hour and then in Desires nightclub they have karaoke, cirque du soleil , rock bands etc all in all there was something different everynight and very good.

The Beach:- Well what can I say , this was the only disappointing part of my trip and the Hote but I totally understand it is not their fault , the pictures that you see on the website of the lovely long sprawling beach is how it used to look until a couple of months ago when the hurricane struck New York , it headed towards Cancun and badly hit the beacj at Secrets Capri and eroded the beach within two hours , it is now very small and there seems to be a lot of tree stumps etc as you walk to the sea where Palm Trees once stood which can really hurt you if you do not see them , on a calm day once you have got passed the first part where it feels like sinking sand and squidgy very strange feeling it is really nice and warm and not at all deep , if you go the the right hand side and walk for a little while there is a nice beach and if you turn left and walk for about 20 minutes there is a lovely crystal clear shallow lagoon where you can go and swim and it is beautiful , they have all the facilities for Para Sailing which we did $55 per person for 15 minutes ,this was a fantastic feeling , jet skis , hobi cats etc

I would definatelty recommend this Hotel , The Staff , The Food , The Location was fantastic , what I would say is that the staff do not really get paid a lot and rely on their tips , so take a load of one dollar tips to be able tip them as they are really greatfull and it is nothing to us.

I hope this review is of use and you try Secrets Capri Riviera

22 Thank Sheena1962
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,694 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,162 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!