“Staff was excellent that's about it.”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #35 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ohio
“Staff was excellent that's about it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at secrets capri to celebrate my wifes birthday on 12/12/12. After a recent stay at Secrets the Vine which proved to be very noisy, we were assured by the staff at the Vine that Capri was nothing like that. It was a smaller, more relaxing hotel and I should not cancel my reservation as the staff at the vine assured us Capri was a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. We travelled with another couple and checked in at 3pm. We asked earlier by email to have our rooms side by side and they were. We were assigned rooms 301and 302 which were on the third floor with an ocean/pool view. When we went to bed the first night we were kept awake by the music coming from the Desires Disco below us like it was right in our room. I had the door shut and the TV turned up past a comfortable hearing level and could still hear the noise. I am going to attach a video at the end of this review so you can see what I mean, The next day we were going to move but were told they did not have 2 rooms together for us so we stayed. The following night the music was not as loud but could still be heard clearly. I came to find out by going to the Elvis show that there was an air conditioning problem in the lounge and they had the doors propped open as well during the night which made the music louder. Finally on the 4th night of our stay we had some rain and they moved a wedding reception into the Capri Ballroom which has a patio right beneath our room. This was pretty much the worst night of all as you could not hear the TV no matter how loud you had it. After calling the desk they told us they would check with the wedding coordinator to see how long the reception was going to be and call us back. Well guess what, no callback and the music went until about midnight. I tried 3 times to talk to the manager only to be told he was not available. I suppose these rooms would be fine if you plan on being out to party until the music stops in all the venues. The resort really should tell people about this when they check in and give them the option of where they would like to stay. I would much rather have had no view and quiet than what we were given. To make matters worse after the night of the wedding reception we went to the cactus club to have breakfast. Breakfast was served until 10am and then closed until 11 when they reopen for lunch. We were given a table by the sea and at 9:15 a crew of men came out with a jackhammer and started removing cement! Really? you couldn't wait until 10 when people finished their breakfast. As I said earlier, after repeated times to talk to the manager my wife finally talked to someone named Bea at the front desk who could only offer apologies and asked us if we wanted to move our room for the last night. Yeah, that's just what I want to do is pack back up and move again. Finally whenn I got back to my room I sent an email to the manager about my stay and guess what...he found me in the lobby, introduced himself and wanted to now discuss my problems on my last night of our vacation. I realize there was nothing he could do for us as we were checking out in the morning but he really should be made available to speak with guests about their concerns. I am a travel agent with AAA in Ohio and was staying on a special reduced rate for Master Agents through the resort. Had I been paying full price for a stay here I would have wanted to see the manager on the first day after the first night to see what could have been done about the problems. There are so many nice resorts in the Riviera Maya area that are peaceful and quiet for those of us who are looking for that kind of vacation such as the Iberostar Grand Hotel or the Zoetry resort. While the restaurant and entartainment staff were fantastic they can't make up for the service of the front desk staff. While the rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable they are small. If you are used to spreading out and dining in your room this is probably not the hotel for you. All throughout our stay there was problems with the air conditioning in all of the public areas. The Desires lounge was so hot in the evening it was practically empty and the lobby was very warm as well. The manager has asked my wife and I to come back so he can make it up to us but I am not sure if we will. As I said before there are so many places to choose from now in this area that I know are excellent I don't want to waste another week of my life wishing I would have stayed elsewhere

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in the north wing on the opposite side of the pool close to the beach. These...
2 Thank Mark C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,312)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Don't listen to the people who rate it lower than a 4. Food was good, housekeeping came in twice a day, all of the staff were nice. Pool and beaches were clean. Entertainment wasn't great and at least 15-20 minutes from Cancun or Playa Del Carmen, but easy to get to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aaron M
Gainesville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We have stayed at multiple resorts in Mexico and this, by far, was the worst experience ever. We arrive to celebrate m birthday and our anniversary only for them to try to put us in a double room. Then, the receptionist had the nerve to attempt to charge us an upgrade fee. Our floor concierge, Gabby was excellent. The entertainment staff was lacking. We are still waiting to be entertained...The food was less than what we expected, especially for a Secrets resort. The beach is nonexistent, and yes, I understand that there had been a horrible hurricane but other facilities around the are have done a nice job of cleaning up. On top of all of that, I was forcefully moved from the pool so that they could set up a stage for the nightly show and was not given time to collect our belongings. Everything magically appeared except for husband's iPhone, even his belt clip for the phone. The staff was not concerned and offered no help in locating the missing item that I will now refer to as stolen. We will not be back to this resort. Highly overrated for a and nowhere near the experience that we have had at other resorts. It was certainly a let down.

2 Thank firenurse1
Edwardsville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Amazing resort all around! Service is impeccable, food outstanding, drinks inventive and delicious. True, the beach is practically non-existent, but so is every other resort around. Do yourself a favor and walk 15 min down the beach to the most amazing clear water lagoon, it will take your breath away. I would not hesitate to recommend secrets Capri to anyone, and I'm a verrry picky critic. This place does it right, and does it well, every time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ILgirl73
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel has very friendly helpful staff, the room was clean and comfortable, all of the eating places were good with no queues. The range of drinks was good with a choice of reds & white wines and 'champagne' of most acceptable quality. The wi-fi connection dropped out now and again but was good enough for emails and facebook once we got used to it. Wi-fi is available almost everywhere in the resort. The beach has suffered from recent storms and hopefully will be restored soon, this did not spoil our enjoyment. Only downside would be the occasional smell from the public bathrooms,

2 Thank M B
Chicago.IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I have been to Mexico 9 times and we have stayed somewhere different every time. We expected a lot from this resort, given it's trip advisor rating and cheap caribbean rating of 5 suns, we were extremely disappointed. The tropical view room was roof view and they tried to give us double beds even though we booked a king size bed room. Service over all was bad. The rooms were lacking as was the buffet, especially breakfast, which is usually awesome at other 5 star resorts. The beach was incredibly small. We will definitely not be back to this resort.

9 Thank Kelly10
mississauga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Was at Secrets From Nov. 19-26/12......Great quiet resort for adults only...The food was "Food Channel" quality and presentation...Had great service from Victor at the Cactus restaurant every breakfast and lunch...along with Mario the maitradee both were always taking very good care of us and always greeted us with a smile and kind words...Special drinks were made by Ivan at the rendevous bar along with erin always making us something special to drink. Marryanne at vip services did look after us very well. There were only 2 complaints that we had. 1. The water smell in the bathroom was aweful..they gave us some lysol to spray which was a big help and the 2nd was the beach..lots of shells and glass while out walking, even when you went into the water was a bit mushy for a bit and then it got better...even with these complaints I would still go back and recommend this resort for anyone to go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robicheau
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,859 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,182 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!