Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
$227
$191
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$331
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$753
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$438
$472
$973
$450
10,611 results
All reviewscactus clubseaside grilldesires barentertainment stafffloor conciergetropical viewour honeymoonpool barhydrotherapy circuitcoco cafesmaller resortromantic dinner on the beachother resortsmy pleasureitalian restaurantall inclusive resortturn down service
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were guests at the Secrets Capri from November 29 through December 6. We were very excited, as we had never stayed at all inclusive resort before, We were not disappointed. The resort is smaller, meaning it isn't a mega resort with 1,000 rooms. I liked the intimate feeling the resort projected.

We stayed in Room 215 which was facing the ocean on the 2nd floor. The room was extremely clean and had all of the amenities of a 5 star hotel.

We are beach people. The beach wasn't very wide but the sand was amazing and there were a decent amount of shade loungers.There is drink and food service on the beach. Getting in the water was difficult due to the branches left over from the most recent hurricane. Once in the water was warm and refreshing.

We spent most of our days at the beach participating in some of the daily activities such as making guacamol, learning about tequila and preparing our own mayan recipe. The drink service was amazing Anywhere on the site.

The swim up bar was always a great place to get a drink towards the end of the day. It was a refreshing way to end a day at the beach.

Every evening, the resort newsletter, the Sundial, will be put under your door, letting you know the next day's activities, specials offered by the spa and also putting you on notice as to which restaurants would be open. When we visited in November, I believe one restaurant would be closed each evening, which, in my experience, is the norm.

The food was spectacular in all of the a la carte restaurants as was the presentation and service. The house red was pretty good.

In the evening, we mostly went to the main lobby at the rendez vous bar to listen to the nightly entertainment which was quite good. We would have drinks before we set out to one of the five restaurants.

We did the extra romantic dinner by the ocean on the beach on our last night at the resort. The cost was an additional $110 which included champagne. Was very beautiful seeing the moon shine on the ocean. It was a very nice touch to end our week long vacation.

We had a fantastic time at Secrets Capri and I would not hesitate in a heartbeat, to return. We had an exceptional time and I would highly recommend this resort. It is worth every peeny of your hard earned dollars.

Paul and Anne-Marie

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Paul P
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were guests at the Secrets Capri from November 11 through November 22. We were very excited, as we had never stayed at a Secrets resort before, although, we have stayed at the Dreams Puerto Aventuras and the NOW Jade, which, are owned by the same corporation. Being that we had a fantastic time at the Dreams and the NOW, we weren't concerned at all about not liking the Secrets Capri. We were not disappointed. The resort is smaller, meaning it isn't a mega resort with 1,000 rooms. I liked the intimate feeling the resort projected, and, it was nice seeing the faces of other guests, more than once.

We stayed in Room 262, which is on the 2nd floor, overlooking the "quiet" side of the pool. Being that the pool is in the shape of a figure "8", the quiet side is the side without the swim up bar. It had a nice view of the sea. The room included a King bed, with a down comforter and, I believe down pillows. Very comfortable. There is a table with 2 chairs, mini fridge, iron and ironing board, blow dryer,CD and DVD player and umbrellas. There are also robes and slippers. If the robes aren't in the room when you check in, a quick call to the front desk and they will deliver them to you in minutes. Our room had double sinks, shower, separate bathroom stall and a very small tub. Our room was always cleaned earlier in the day, which was nice. We have been to a few resorts where the room was being cleaned around 5 p.m., about the time we go in, to clean up for dinner. Martha, our maid, was a sweetheart. We never had to ask for additional towels or tissue. Before dinner, a fellow would stop by every evening, asking if we would like turn down service, which we declined. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the doorbell. It reminded me of a fire alarm. The first time I heard it, I thought that was EXACTLY what it was, and it scared me!! lol I thought there was a fire in the building! After a few days, I got used to it and it no longer startled me.

We are not beach people, but, if you are, this may not be the resort for you. The beach wasn't very wide, although, there were a decent amount of shade loungers.There is drink service on the beach.

We spent most of our days by the pool, participating in some of the daily activities and talking with other guests. We must give a shout out to Humberto, Sophie, Jesus and Marianna, the activity staff. Had lots of conversations with them throughout our stay. They provided alot of fun, but, did not bug guests repeatedly, to join in any activities. I amazes me how the activity staff can work till wee hours of the morning, only to be awake at 7 a.m., ready to start the day again! The drink service was amazing around the pool. Our waiters were Efren and Noe. As others have mentioned, because of the time of year (November), the pool was chilly in the morning, as the temps in the evening had dropped to around 59F. It did not stop anyone from getting into the pool, and, the water was very refreshing in the heat of the day. On a quick note, I have seen people at many resorts, getting into pools too quickly, and falling. Saw a few people throughout our stay fall at Secrets, as well. Use the hand rails upon entering any pool or, just slow down and watch where you are going.

The swim up bar was always a great place to talk with other guests. I am not a big fan of swim up bars, but, didn't see too many people at the bar, from sun up to sun down, if you know what I mean. The bartenders provided incredible service and were so very friendly. Quetzal, Dani and Cesar, thanks for the attentive and friendly service. The bars do carry high end liquor. It you want a specific brand, ask for it,

The Restaurants:
Breakfast: La Riviera Restaurant (the buffet). Men MUST wear a shirt with sleeves, even if it is a
tee shirt.
CACTUS CLUB taco and ceviche Bar. This opens at 8 a.m. and has a limited, a la
carte breakfast menu. It is an open air restaurant, overlooking the sea.
LUNCH: Cactus Club Taco and Ceviche Bar (Fish tacos every day for lunch. They are
awesome).
LaRiviera Buff
The Seaside Grill
Barefoot Grill (next to the gazebo. Hot dogs and hamburgers)
DINNER: La Riviera Buffet ( a different theme each evening, et al Italian, BBQ, Asian, etc)
Seaside Grill (Steak)
Himitsu (Pan Asian)
Portofino (Italian)
Oceana (Seafood)
The food was spectacular in all the a la carte restaurants as was the presentation and service. The house, white wine was pretty good. I have never had good luck with any red wines at any resort, so, can't comment on the red wine. We particularly liked Portofino, and I adored our waiter, Jaime, when we dined there. He made our dining experience extra special.

We were chosen (I have no idea how) to attend Chef's Night with 7 other couples. It was very interesting to watch the chef preparing 14 different dishes, all on a TV screen. A violinist added beautiful music to the evening. I think all the guests invited thoroughly enjoyed themselves and felt very "special". lol

In the evening, around the pool, they do have Monday Night football, as well as a different movie every evening. If you choose, the indoor Desires bar/disco would probably be able to get the game, as well. We wanted to watch a college football game on a Saturday afternoon, and one of the employees (unfortunately, I do not recall his name) spent a lot of time trying to find the correct satellite to get the game. He could have blown us off after a few minutes of looking, but, surprisingly, he didn't. We were sooo appreciative of his efforts. We sat in the lounge, watching the game, with snacks, drinks, a big screen TV and, servers waiting on us, hand and foot. With that being said, we did leave a very nice tip for the waiter, who went above and beyond our expectations.

The Rendezvous Lobby bar is open at 10a.m. until 11 pm and a relaxing area to have an after dinner drink. Many nights, there is live entertainment, for about an hour, in the lobby bar. We would usually then head to the Desires Sports Bar/ Disco, where there was a variety of entertainment, like karaoke, or dancing. Also, if you would like to enjoy the beautiful, Mexican weather, the Sugar Reef Bar is outside, next to the Cactus Restaurant. It is relatively small, but, quiet, and a good place to talk with other guests, with the sounds of the sea in the background.

As others have mentioned, this is not a big "party till 5 a.m." type resort, but, it certainly can be lively in the Desires Bar, in the evening.

We had a fantastic time at Secrets Capri and I would not hesitate in a heartbeat, to return. We usually like to try different resorts, but, I think we may be seeing Secrets Capri sooner, rather than later. We had an exceptional time!

Tom and Debbi Williams (Rm 262)

**Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, and, I would be happy to help, if I can.

18  Thank Debadeb
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We visited Secrets Capri in November 2012. We had always been cautious about visiting Mexico simply because of the scale of the hotels and resorts. Our preference is for smaller more intimate locations, but felt the attraction of great weather at this time of year was too good to pass up.
Secrets Capri is one of the smaller hotels in the area and it didn't have the feel of a huge hotel, the staff go a long way to make you feel very welcome and the whole experience becomes very personal.
We weren't blessed with the best weather during our stay but the good days we had were just perfect for loafing around the pool. The waiting staff are very attentive and keep the drinks flowing. You really could just lay on a sunbed all day and be fed and watered if you were so inclined.
The rooms are pleasant and airy and the beds are some of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Housekeeping services were excellent and no reasonable request met with anything other than a smile and "si". The staff really are second to none.
Food wise, this has to be one of the best hotels we have stayed at. If you really couldn't find anything you liked to eat here, then I wonder what you actually eat at home! The Portofino Italian restaurant we preferred over the others, it's noveau italian, so don't go expecting Lasagne etc. The presentation and quality was very good. We also liked the Riviera Buffet for lunch. You could have meat or fish grilled, with a salad, or take your pick of the various other offerings. If you wanted a junk food hit, the Barefoot grill would operate every day adjacent to the pool, offering a variety of grills. Really and truly, we weren't expecting food this good, so top marks to those involved in the food and beverage teams.
What are the downsides ?
Well only a few things really, otherwise the review would have got 5 stars. The lobby of the hotel has a water feature that runs between two floors. On some occassions there was a pretty nasty stagnant water odour in the Lobby and the ground floor bar. On one day we walked into the grand floor bar and walked straight out as the smell was so unpleasant. It seems to be something that the hotel is trying to manage as it wasn't always evident.
The beach is small and does get crowded, it appears that they are suffering from massive erosion as the extent of it is nothing like pictures. We walked along the beach past other hotels and noted that they are all suffering the same issues, which is great shame.

Room Tip: Higher rooms (3rd floor) overlook the mangroves, which is a nicer view.
11  Thank RoopsK
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We went for our anniversary and had an awesome time. The staff was great and they were always helpful and courteous. Someone else wrote in their review that the staff is like family, and that is so true. From Rita making our omelettes every morning, to the entertainment staff of Jesus, Mariana, Humberto and Sophie, all of the waiters and bartenders, Arturo making crepes, you can tell they are great people who want you to have a great time. The beach was decent and was as good as or better than most other resorts in the area. We went to the spa for a couples massage that was fantastic - a very nice spa and great service. The food was overall very good. Our room overlooked the pool but you could also see the ocean. Our room was always very clean and we always had everything we needed thanks to our maid, Alix. I would recommend this resort. We will definitely be back!

6  Thank Ben H
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I visited for our first anniversary in August 2012. We can't say enough positive things about our stay. From the moment we arrived, the staff pampered us with cold towels and drinks. We spent a day at the spa- we definitely recommend doing the hydrotherapy circuit and massages! We also had a great experience with the excursions representative- he was very helpful with arranging a refund when one of our excursions was rained out. The bar staff were friendly and talkative day after day. The food was delicious, and we certainly enjoyed the room service! One nice touch was having incense sticks replenished daily in our room by the staff. We also really liked the beachside food and drink service!! We've previously visited Sandals resorts, and with the exception of the Spanish language barrier, we preferred Secrets' luxury.

If you visit, don't stop in the airport at the request of the sales reps- they offer discounts on excursions...but only if you agree to attend a timeshare presentation. Walk right on by!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple