“Great Resort for couples.”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #39 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here during our first trip to Mexico and everything was great. The resort is all inclusive and the cleaness of rooms and facilities is really good. We had an ocean view suite with a balcony which was great. The only negative about the resort is the beach, we come from Miami, Fl so we are a bit spoiled when it comes to beaches. A special thank you to Martin, the bellman who escorted us to the room. Eduardo at concierge, Melanie in the reception and Freddy the doorman that always greeted us with a smile. Everyone was super friendly and approachable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Enrique M
There are newer reviews for Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Me and my now fiance stayed at the resort from Jun 12 to Jun 18, 2012. We picked this resort only out of luck. When we searched for a vacation package in Riviera Maya region for our planned travel time, Secrets Capri is the only 5 star within our price range. We didn't pay much for an Ocean View Junior Suite. How lucky were we!!

Our luck didn't stop from here. I read some of the negative reviews about the resort, and was prepared before we went. By the time we arrived, I knew this is gonna be a great vacation.

The room:
I asked for an Ocean View Suite not on the ground floor upon check-in, and they immediately changed our room to 4th floor. Our room is right in the center of the resort facing the pool and the ocean with a wonderful view. It's also very convinient to walk to concierge and front desk. It's one of the suites with the best view. Both rooms beside our room were taken by honeymooners.

Service:
All the staff are so warm and nice. They worked very hard and still showed a lot of energy. Everyone has a smile on their face. We tipped quite often and I think they deserve it. Leave 1 dollar for the house keeper, and they will fold towels into cute animals and do a good job. We for got to tip on our second to last day, and the animals were no longer there, which is a bit of a down side. However, it's not expected anyways. I find the A/C cool enough and bed very comfortable.

Food;
We tried everything except Oceana. We love cactus club and seaside grill. My fiance said the rib eye steak at seaside grill was the best he had. I tried it. It's sooo good. Considering I don't like steak and never order it myself, it must be a good steak. I also enjoyed the tempura shrimp taco and shrimp ceviche at Cactus club. Me and my fiance ordered the shrimp taco THREE times during our stay there. Highlly recommond. The seafood soup on the lunch menu at seaside grill is also tasty. I find Himitsu just so-so. The miso soup is not bad though.

Beach and Pool:
I find the beach a bit narrow. But it's definitely not in a bad shape. Some seaweed yes, but there's seaweed everywhere, not just this resort. The beach at Secrets Capri is better than that at other resorts nearby. We walked 15 minutes to the left on our last night there and saw some beach at really bad condition. We found our resort way better and we felt lucky to have stayed at secrets capri. BTW, avoid blue bay emerald resort which is where we spot really bad beach and water (water was black due to oil polution. they built a flood wall so the the oil can't get to the resorts nearby). The pool is in a good size. I like the curve shape. The resort is small, so the pool is not huge. But it's big enough and enjoyable to swim in.

Tours:
We went to Chichen Iza and Playa. The resort has a free shuttle to Playa taking off at 11:30. You must call 7am in the morning to reserve the seat for that day. I believe there are only 12 seats on the van, so call early. We were stopped by a tour company on 5th Ave at playa and booked a tour to Chichen Iza for $50/person. It's much cheaper than $109 on the brochures of all the resorts. The resort concierge told me they don't have insurance so it's cheaper. We found it safe enough and actually many people booked with them.

SPA:
We did spa treatment twice during our stay. I would not recommend the hydro therapy circuit as I found it not too different from Jacuzzi. The difference is it has several different Jacuzzi and little pools for treatment. However only one is hot water. The massage however, is not bad. I booked with Deymi for both times and enjoyed her service.

In general, very nice stay there. We may go back!

Room Tip: Book a room with direct ocean view. It's worth it.
2  Thank Carrie L
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was our first time in Mexico, and our first time at an all-inclusive, and after coming home this evening I can say that we will miss EVERYONE there! We are so sad to leave. I really felt welcomed by everyone who worked there--waiters, concierge staff, bar staff, spa aesteticians, therapists, housekeeping, entertainment staff, pool crew, everyone. They were all so kind. We were so welcomed that we left thank-you notes to our new friends. Now the bar is set high and I will feel afraid to try any other resort!
ABOUT THE FOOD: It's all deelish, and the breakfast buffet at the Riviera Restaurant had everything one could ever want for breakfast--Mexican AND American. It was all incredible. Things you must try: the Mexican hot chocolate, the pancakes, and the native fruits like guava and dragonfruit, which are part of the buffet. They also have fresh juices daily--watermelon, pineapple, orange papaya, and pineapple/orange/parsley. We really enjoyed dining on the porches of the Oceana and the Seaside Grille because we could feel the ocean breezes and the surroundings were beautiful.
ABOUT THE PROPERTY: Some have said it is getting a little run down, but though it's been open for a while, the maintenance staff is attentive to maintain everything, all the time. There are always people sweeping, dusting, mopping, moving furniture, etc. It's sad to me that sometimes people think that just because something isn't brand new, it doesn't have any value, and it's time to teardown and rebuild. Everything really was very well-maintained and clean despite knowing this isn't a brand-new resort. Also, if you're very concerned with decor, and are inclined to think that because it ISN'T brand new then it must be decorated in a dated style, know that this isn't the case. Everything inside is classically elegant. The only downside to the property was that I have allergies, and with the rainy season upon us, I noticed there was a lot of moisture in the building. If you have allergies, take your antihistamines with you.
ABOUT THE POOL: Loved it! We went in late June, which is the rainy season, so we never had a problem getting a beach chair, towel, raft, or spot in the pool.
ABOUT THE BEACH: Very clean beach, no jellyfish. At night it's fun to walk along it or take your drink down to the Balinese beds that line the shore.
ABOUT THE SPA: We purchased a couple's spa package and found that the price was excellent for the services. It included a hydro therapy circuit for each of us, 2 50-min massages, 2 25-min foot massages, and 2 50-minute facials. I'm not sure what you are used to paying for these services, but the price was very good compared to what's offered where we live in Pittsburgh...plus, we were in the jungle! Much better than being in someone's main drag house that has been converted to a "spa," which is mostly what we have around here!

We cannot wait to return! We would recommend Secrets Capri to everyone we know. We would also recommend Apple Vacations, because our Apple Representative Ulises was very helpful and knowledgeable, and he really had our best interests in mind. We did the Delphinus and Jungle Maya excursions, too, which I will also review.

5  Thank Jessica W
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at Secrets Capri and made an excellent choice. We just returned home from our best vacation ever. From the time we entered the resort to the moment we left they made us feel like family. The staff is always making sure you have whatever you need and they say " it's my pleasure" and mean it. The resort is spotless, food is out of this world, and service is unbeatable !

Room Tip: room 246 garden view, quiet, good sunrise, and you can also see the beach.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KCADAA
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I finally got away without the kids for three days and Secrets Capri delivered. The resort is small but well maintained. The rooms and main building are immaculate. The pool area is starting to show its age a little but nothing to worry about. The biggest plus is the service. Every employee we encountered was pleasant and genuinely seemed to want us to enjoy ourselves. The food is so so - definitely visit himitsu and skip oceana. The beach is a little disappointing - much of it has eroded because of the storms and there is a lot of seaweed. We enjoyed the sea well enough but it wasn't the crystal blue water that I was hoping for.

In short, this is a good choice if you get a good price and want a more boutique style resort.

Room Tip: We loved our jr suite jungle view. We were in room 127 and our balcony faced the mangroves. We had l...
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We went to Secrets Capri last June and decided to go again for our anniversary this year. The entertainment staff was wonderful. Martini making class with Yess was really fun and Eddy went out with us on the Hobie Cat sailboat two times. Carlos was at the resort both years and always took care of us. Overall, it was a great trip and we plan to do it again!!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

The hotel was surprisingly beautiful. I've never been to Mexico before, but have travelled everywhere else around the world. But this hotel was beautiful and EXTREMELY friendly. Located in 30 minutes from airport, that made the trip quick and easy. the food was good, the drinks were nonstop.

10  Thank nguyenj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!