“Great beachside hotel!”

Ranked #102 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Melbourne, Australia
“Great beachside hotel!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Playa Maya was a cute little hotel that we thoroughly enjoyed. It is beachside, with no street entrance - this was a bit difficult on our first night as the sign wasn't too easy to see so we almost missed it as we dragged our suitcases along the sand (they reccommend you send one of your party to get them to pick up your suitcases, but it was quite late at night when we arrived and neither of us felt comfortable hanging around in an unfamiliar place alone.)

The view of the ocean is great. It was always nice looking at this over breakfast on the beach. Great proximity to fifth avenue and the like... throughout my stay I couldn't work out why so many people stayed in the resorts away from the action, when they could be staying on the beach! The staff was excellent and very friendly. And we were so impressed with the towel art every day!

Only problem we really had was that the shower didn't work very well when we arrived. We asked at the front who said they'd get onto maintenance... I don't know if they ever did, but it took 2 days for it to start... somehow slowly getting better. Honestly for the first 2 days the hot water tap would only turn slightly and would barely work, and then it started slowly getting better every day, so really not sure if maintenance were advised or not - we asked a few times but we were concerned there might be a language barrier. Nonethless by the end of our stay we had a fully working shower, just wished it had been like that from the start!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Elebel82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We enjoyed a 14 night stay at Playa Maya and just cannot fault it. We were in room 301 which had a fantastic view of the ocean, the balcony was just perfect for 'pre-5th Avenue' evening drinks. Our room was very large, the bed also very big, plenty of cupboard space and the bathroom was lovely. The hospitality that all the staff showed was exceptional- every day the rooms were immaculately cleaned and reception staff were always happy to help. Breakfast every day on the beach is just idyllic and again the staff who served us each day were very helpful, polite and couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast was lovely each day, fruit platters were beautifully fresh and the cooked American breakfasts were also a delicious treat, always with a Mexican twist to them!
The location is great-just a minutes walk from the 5th Avenue and obviously situated right on the beach. The loungers that the hotel offer are perhaps the most comfortable of the whole holiday, although we found that some days we wanted to avoid the rocks/seaweed that is infront of the hotel-we only needed to walk 50m either left or right to avoid this.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to return!!

Room Tip: Room 301 had a fantastic view of the ocean and a lovely balcony for 2
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Hannah17484
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were there in May, and we can't wait to go back. We are actually trying to book as we speak. This time we are bringing friends and our son. The people who work at this hotel make this hotel Different, they actually seem to enjoy working. Breakfast every morning on the beach is paradise. We were so comfortable in the rooms we felt at home. Good air conditioning and clean. We hope to be booked for January. I am almost tempted to keep this hotel to myself but the manager and staff deserve the praise.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Yvonne5555
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We strayed in room 302 with a balcony.the hotel was located right on the beach and off of 5th ave which is the tourist avenue and very busy and exciting.they had private beach access with free chairs and umbrellas.the rooms were cleaned quickly everyday! The rooms were very basic and service was a little slow at times you had to find someone to help you or offer food on the beach, as they didn't approach us to offer anything. Very private and nice.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank maillet911
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My family and I spent a week in this hotel. Te rooms were excellent. The people were very helpful and friendly. However, a couple of days when I had breakfast there, I asked for some salsa and the response ws that they do not make fresh salsa for breakfast. So I had to eat with salsa that I can buy at home, in Bellmore New York. Also, there is no entrance from the street and it could be a problem if you are not capable of carrying your own luggage. Even with these two inconviniences I woul highly recommend this hotel. My family and I will go back next time we have a chance.

Room Tip: If you have a family of four, the family suite will be perfect, even for six will work.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gbahena
PlayaMaya, Public Relations Manager at Playa Maya, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hola! Thanks very much for posting your comments here regarding your stay. We're very happy to hear that you liked the rooms and our staff, and of course that you'd like to return! That's the effect we try to create here. :-) But now in keeping with our focus on service, I just wanted to reply to the 2 other points you mentioned here.

Regarding the beach-only entrance, yes, this is something we make sure people know about, and as you may recall from your own confirmation message, we even advise guests who have booked with us to send someone around from the end of 8th St to our nearby entrance to let us know when they have arrived (if we haven't spotted them already), as we're more than happy to come out and carry bags and so forth for them. So it's good that you mention this aspect of things here, but it is usually more of a point for those who may have their own mobility issues personally, rather than being a concern for everyone travelling with luggage.

Now, as for the salsa, here I'm afraid there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding. First off, we do in fact always have fresh salsa available at our restaurant, including during breakfast, but that would be salsa of the popular pico de gallo type. As I understand from taking to our wait staff, you specifically asked for a much spicier salsa made with habanero, instead of that. We do make such spicier authentic salsas after breakfast service is ended, for our lunch/dinner service, but not before that, for 2 reasons: (1) it is quite rare for people here to ask for them with breakfast, and (2) the process of making proper Mexican salsa involves searing the chiles on the grill, which then tends to conflict with the use of that grill to prepare much more commonly requested breakfast fare. As you might imagine, not a lot of people want that spicy tinge to their pancakes, for example. :-)

Nevertheless, we are always happy in general to try to meet people's requests in whatever way we can, but I'm afraid it's difficult in this situation because the request from the guests is made only when the rest of their order has been finished and delivered to their table, and unfortunately the process of making such salsa takes the better part of half an hour (especially for the chiles to be seared properly before chopping and mixing). So the food that the requested salsa is to be eaten with would no longer be hot and fresh and the guest would have to wait much too long before getting to eat it. That is precisely what occurred in your case, as well, and so our staff tried to offer you the only other alternative they could, namely some type of bottled sauce. (I understand that they offered you Valentina, Búfalo and also Tabasco, and that you chose Valentina.)

Well hopefully that will help explain on that point, at least. But again we thank you for coming to stay with us and posting your comments, and we're glad that you found the rest of your stay to be so pleasing. Just let us know when you'd like to come back for another visit!

Steve Ryberg
Public Relations Manager
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed there from August 3 through 11 in Studio B. Roomy set up with plenty of HOT water and COLD air. I had all my breakfasts there and the breakfasts are solid, eggs, bacon, ham, pancakes, waffles, fruit. Lots of coffee. what a way to kick off the morning with such a meal on the beach. Lunches I had there were fine, as well. But my favorite was breakfast. Rooms were cleaned daily, immaculately, by Fidel. I mean to say that we couldn't help but trudge in sand onto the tile floors every day and every day those floors were spotless. No sand. Fidel was amazing.

I loved staying here and I never really had to call on the staff for anything during my stay. When I did have a question or minor issue, it was handled promptly and well. There were about a dozen of us staying there and when he had to leave, a flood of footmen came out to help us move our luggage to our pick up. out of nowhere! It was a fantastic experience and I hope I get to stay there soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Blas V
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a special place on the beach in Playa del Carmen for our honeymoon. We are student usually travelling on a budget, so we were not looking for a fancy or all inclusive type of hotel. We looked at the hotel Playa Maya because it seemed small, cosy and had good reviews on TA. We are glad that we chose it.
-Check-in-check-out. Communications with the manager before the arrival were fast and nice. It convinces me off booking the hotel. Hotel is easily find with entrance on the beach. Staff at the reception were always smiley and helpful. We were upgraded which was a nice touch and made our honeymoon even more special. It felt home as soon as we arrived.
- Room: I was so excited when I saw the room! The room was large, had a king bed, a nice balcony and an ocean view. The bathroom was nice as well. The room was clean and refresh each day, Angelina has done some nice towel sculpture for us. The AC in the room worked well, plus the Wi-Fi signal was strong even on the beach. It was not noisy as I recall. There is bottled water on each floor.
-Location: on the beach between the 6th and 8th st. Easy access from the bus station, you just need to walk on the 5th avenue. You have nice restaurant all around.
-Services: The pool was small, nice and always kept clean. It was enough for a small dip at night. The restaurant is good. Even when we were not guest at Playa Maya on previous trip, we went at the restaurant for breakfast. We took the coffee from the complimentary breakfast, but paid extra each morning to have a Mexican style breakfast. We have ordered many drink from the restaurant on the beach, which were also good. We used the complimentary chair and umbrella of the hotel each day (we were in October and the beach was almost empty). I have to say that all the staff at the hotel Playa Maya are brilliant.
Overall, we had the best honeymoon at the Hotel Playa Maya. I would return in a heart beat. Thank you everyone at Playa Maya for your work!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple