“We had a blast”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #104 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 6, 2006

We went over Memorial Day weekend and had a great time. We met our relatives there, with their kids 17,16, and 13. We had our 12 year old twin boys as well. They found some excellent snorkeling right off the beach.

Sure, if you want to be nitpicky there were a few things that weren't perfect but we found the service to be exceptional. We found it so good we were tipping although it was included in our Funjet package. We ate at both restaurants and preferred the Italian. The Mexican restaurant was very slow the night we ate there. The Buffet was good and the kids loved the snack bar.

We took one excursion to Xel-Ha. It was also all inclusive for the day. We paid one price and could eat at any of the restaurants or drink at any of the bars. It was a beautiful day and the kids were overwhelmed at all the things they saw snorkeling. I would recommend this as a great day excursion.

Our experience at Coco Bay was wonderful and I would recommend it for anyone unless you are an extremely picky person.

12  Thank RichmondJac
There are newer reviews for The Reef Coco Beach

Houston TExas
Reviewed June 6, 2006

My husband and I recently spent our anniversary at the Grand CoCo Bay May 29-June 2nd. While it was hyped as a 4 star I probably would disagree w/the rating, the stay was wonderful. Driving up to the hotel caused a little concern, you can tell the city is poor. The lobby was open air but caught a very strong breeze all the way down to the beach. Every year we go to Cancun at this time and are amazed at how hot it is but for some reason, we never broke into the heavy sweat at this hotel!

The room was nice and very clean. Beach area had plenty of chairs and palapas for laying out. Pool was huge and had plenty of room to swim along w/chairs. It was also open into the evenings. Buffet was as expected, desserts were FABULOUS! We were very close to Playa. We took a sunset cruise w/dinner on the beach for couples - I HIGHLY recommend. We did the CABO ruins trip - it was GREAT. I wouldn't recommend for kids unless you want to rent the bike taxis. There was a lot of walking and it gets EXTREMELY hot. Take plenty of bottled water, towel, dress appropriately for hiking. The cenote swim was nice after the heat. Downtown playa is wonderful! Blue Parrot bar has free drinks for ladies (escorted and unescorted) on Mon/Thurs till 12.

Things we could have done w/out - yes the boats in front of the hotel. But it wasn't too bad. We had to pay for bottled water. I was expecting it for free because the website said mini bar in room. I was also expecting Montejo beer - my husband's favorite. Again, a perk listed on the web that was not available. We were a littel upset w/tour operator because they scheduled our pickup too late. We ended up taking a cab. negotiate your price for taxis prior to getting into the cab going to playa.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and plan to return. We're even going to suggest others go. Someone else mentioned if you are truly looking for a 5 star or Four Seasons - probably don't want to stay here. But if you are looking for a nice, clean place, good location and relaxing trip - I recommend.

Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2006

First off, I find the stars rating confusing. I was told this was a 4 star hotel, but what does that mean? I would compare this hotel to a good quality Holiday Inn. If you want to stay at the Hyatt Regency or Four Seasons, then you will be disappointed. But if you are satisfied with a mid range hotel, this can be a bargain. We paid about $550 per person for four nights and round trip air from Denver.

The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. We asked to be switched to a room with a king size bed, no problem. Every request was granted immediately and with a smile. Rooms are decent size, pleasant and very clean. Reception area, pool area, beach, everything is attractive and well cared for. This is a small 200 room hotel. You will see the same people throughout your stay. And I would feel comfortable letting the teenagers have some freedom.

Food was uneven. Some things good, some not so good. What do you expect from a buffet? Of the two restaurants requiring reservations, skip the uninspired pasta laden Italian and go for the Mexican. Don't think tacos and burritos. The snapper with garlic was quite good as was the chili relleno appetizer stuffed with ground beef. Drinks are on the weak side, but with the sun this is not all bad. If you really want a good buzz, order a double or drink something that can't be watered down.

There are plenty of lounges in and out of the shade. Yes there are boats in front of the beach. But as I said, this is a small hotel. If it bothers you just walk a few yards in either direction to loose them. It is a big ocean.

Overall, we were happy with our stay and would go back again. Be realistic and reasonable in your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

16  Thank ParkerChick
Charleston, SC
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Coco Bay with another couple for a long weekend. We had booked our hotel and paid for it ahead of time. Unfortunately, we were disappointed with our stay. I can't really say it was one glaring thing, but instead more of a group of things. Yes, the food was not great on the buffet. Yes, the drinks were not very strong and the beer and wine was only offered on tap (wine on tap?). I could have dealt with any of these things if it had not been for the customer service. That is what the Grand Coco Bay lacked...customer service. I know a lot of people here rave about the entertainment people. Yes, they seemed great. We did not really engage with them, as we were there to enjoy Mexico and all that Playa del carmen has to offer...not do step aerobics to loud music poolside. However, the people that did seemed to have a great time. I'm talking about the customer service you get from the front desk and from people you come in contact with regardless of what you do at the resort.

When we first arrived at the hotel, it was 10:30 at night. The gentleman behind the desk told us that they only had one room left that was oceanfront, so it would be an extra $25 a night. We told him that we had already paid for our room and would not be paying extra. He tried to bargain it down to an extra $20 a night, and when we still said no, he said he would give us the room for free that night, but that we would have to move the next day. I have never stayed in a hotel where you have to move rooms because they gave away all the other rooms, but whatever. Well, the next day we got back from downtown Playa (which was GREAT) and found out that our room had been moved because our keycards had been deactivated and we could not get into our room to get our stuff. They did move us into another room that actually worked out better because it did not smell nearly as bad as the other. Anyway, our friends had to force the issue as well on getting a room that they had already paid for...they had them in a lower cost room and were refusing to move them for two days!

Then we tried to go to dinner that night at the Italian restaurant. No one tells you how to make reservations, so we called the front desk that morning. They said they could get us in at 6:30 and we were all set. Well, when we showed up at 6:30, they did not have us down and refused to seat us. We did finally get into the Mexican restaurant the next night and it was really good.

There were a host of other things that happened, like going on a snorkel trip offered by the hotel that took us out in the ocean where the wind was blowing so hard that the water was whitecapping and it was so dangerous that they had to rescue one guy who was so exhausted he could not swim anymore...no one cared. The kicker to me, though, had to do with water. The Grand Coco Bay actually RAN OUT of bottled water on Saturday morning and said they would not have anymore until Monday. RAN OUT of bottled water...in MEXICO!!! To me, that is a health hazard! Again, no one cared.

I have never done one of these reviews before, but really felt strongly about letting people know that you may have a great stay if you go here, but if you have ANY issues at all, they will not be addressed. You will spend a lot of your relaxation time trying to make the conditions relaxing. If you go, have fun and get out and enjoy downtown Playa del Carmen...it's a great little town!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Coco Bay on May 18-21, 2006. We had a great time. The food was decent. The view was beautiful. We really enjoyed the close proximity to Playa del Carmen. We went to Playa each day that we were there. We walked once along the beach to Playa - a nice walk with not much effort. The other times we took the Taxi for 3$. We also went to Tulum and spent another day on a snorkeling trip. We will not take the organized bus trip again... anywhere. We took the Lomas (Fun Jet) bus trip to Tulum and to the snorkeling destination and unfortunately spent too much time picking up and dropping people off at their hotels. Both Tulum and snorkeling were incredible and we recommend you go. Next time we will rent a car or investigate 'collectivos'. During our snorkeling we saw a sting ray, an eel, a lobster, and many fish big and small. Back to the resort... the air conditioning was ice cold, the little ants I have read about were microscopic. No bother to us at all. Snorkeling off the beach at the resort does not offer much. We used the gear from the hotel and they discouraged us from snorkeling outside the swim ropes. They were concerned about the wave runners and boats parked outside the swim zone. We kayaked first to see if there was a reef area (not). Then we snorkeled out a little ways outside the swim ropes. Really not much to see. If you want to go snorkeling and see fish you probably have to go to a snorkeling destination in the area. We had been warned by people - don't drink the water... so we didn't. But the last night we were there we did have ice in our drinks with no problem whatsoever. The people at the resort said the water was purified and bottled. Many other folks were drinking the water and having frozen drinks. The room was kept very clean despite our sandy efforts to mess it up. Overall we had a great stay. We are thinking about going back with our children.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Two moms on a much needed break headed to Grand Coco Bay resort for a long weekend and were very pleasantly surprised after readying some of the reviews that have appeared recently on travel advisor.

The hotel was only half full. The reception staff pleasantly honored our request to be moved to a room with a direct view of the beach. The room, although small and non-descript, was VERY clean. Everything was in working order. There were only 3 draws in the dresser but the closet was large with several shelves. The balcony has two plastic chairs and a small table. Our room was cleaned by 9:30 every day.

We did not partake of the on site entertainment, but it looked like folks were having fun with the entertainment staff. They did beach yoga, volleyball, bingo, aerobics, dance lessons, etc.

The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are immaculate. The view upon entering the hotel is breathtaking. There are more than enough lounge chairs on the beach, we were able to get chairs in the shade everyday and didn't have to get there early in the morning. The staff was efficient and we could always find a waiter to bring us drinks on the beach. The pool bar was great for hangng out. The pool was also very clean.

Use sunscreen and lots of it. There is a cool breeze coming off the water so you might not notice how strong the sun is. We both have nice sunburns to attest to how strong the mexican sun can be. Bring thermal cups for your drinks - they keep things colder longer, won't spill and the staff is only too happy to fill your thermal cup with whatever you like. All of the water served at the bars and restaurants is filtered so it is ok to drink. No problem with the ice cubes.

Getting a taxi into Playa del Carmen is easy and very inexpensive.

I highly recommend Iza Spa. The facilitites were magnificent and the staff very professional. They have a website (-). I bought Spa Finder gift certificates at Costco which they happliy accepted.(I paid $80 for $100 worth of certificates - great buy). We called before leaving the states and made a reservation for massage and facial. The roof top lounge area was very nice.

After the spa we had a late lunch at Sur which is a restaurant directly across the street from the spa. Excellent food.. I had the sesame crusted mahi and my friend had the grilled salmon. Both dishes were a 10 out of 10 on quality, taste and presentation. We went back a few days later for dinner and were blown away by their grilled lobster. The best lobster dinner I have ever had in my whole life.

After visiting the silver shops on 5th avenue which is a nice pedestrian street we headed to the Tequilla Barrel where we remained until after midnight. Even though the resort was all inclusive we were very happy to spend our pesos for a good meal and some tequilla shots - we recommend Tres Generaciones- very smooth.

IF you are planning on buying any silver be prepared to bargain and know what things cost back in the states. Visit Taxo silvershops back home. I think you can get better prices here in the states than we got in Mexico. Still it was fun to browse the stores and buy a few pieces as a memento of our trip.

Back to the resort. The beach was cleaned of seaweed each day. However they could have done a better job of cleaning the sand around the chairs, we saw some cigarette butts and trash, but not enough to spoil the experience.

The food was yucky!. We both recommend the omelets for breakfast. We found the rest of the dishes bland. Do not order the "steak" in the mexican restaurant - it was so tough it was not edible. We didn't try the italian restaurant but did not hear good reviews from the other guests we spoke to.

The snack bar is convenient. The wings and fries are good. We enjoyed the guacamole and salsa with chips.

We got a great deal on airfare and the hotel from United Vacations. It was very well worth the price we paid. Aside from the food not being great everything else about this resort is a 10!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone! We had a great time and didn't let the fact that we did not care for the food to ruin our vacation.

24  Thank ljVirginia
Reviewed May 12, 2006

Just got back from a week stay at Grand CoCo Bay with my husband. We were alittle concerned about some of the reviews but this is what we experienced. Yes there are boats out front. We did not find this to be a problem. No gas in the water or that sort of thing. My husband wanted to snorkel and just went down the beach alittle ways. The resort is small compared to the bigger resorts further south but we sort of liked that. My only problem was with the first room they gave us which was near the service door to the theater area. I was very noisey at night and early in the morning so we asked to be moved and they were more than happy to move us to the other side of the hotel. The jacuzzi was not open but they were painting it so I assume it will be open very soon. The food was OK...it is Mexico. We liked the mexican restaurant and not the italian, unlike other reviews. We did have a few little tiny ants in the bathroom but not a big deal. We enjoyed the entertainment including the shows and casino night. The staff works very hard. Always filling drinks, even on the beach and pool side. They are constantly cleaning, we were very impressed. The area around the hotel is under construction. When we first pulled into the hotel we were alittle disappointed with the area, but they appear to be working on the surrounding buildings. We did walk to town a few times but it's too hot and only $3 for a taxi. (make sure you say $3 to the taxi driver, some will try for more) Overall, good little place for the money. We like to try new places so we will probably not be back, but we had a great time.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!