“Had a Great Time at Coco Beach”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #102 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
A TripAdvisor Member
Missouri
Reviewed May 17, 2005

This review is long overdue-my husband and I stayed at the Reef CocoBeach for our Honeymoon last July. I feel I should add my opinion to help those out who are going to stay there. I too read all of the negative reviews before leaving and got quite scared. So I hope this helps.

We booked through FunJet, which seems to be one of the best ways to go because instead of getting on a large overcrowded bus from the airport to the hotel, we got a van, which only had 3 other couples going to different resorts-so we arrived at the resort a lot quicker than many other people. Also the Funjet representatives are on location at the hotel (out near the pool area) and they are very helpful. They can book different activities for you-and usually for a better price. My husband and I did the Maroma Beach snorkling/parasailing adventure. This was pretty cool-but not as great as I would have expected it to be. It was my first time snorkling out of the USA-and I expected to see a lot more fish and things. It costed about $90 for both of us. Honestly, we found the best snorkling in Cozumel. If anyone would like to take my advice-listen to this-take a ferry over to Cozumel for the day-rent a car-or we rented a jeep and we just drove around Cozumel for the day. We stopped at Park Chankanaab-wow, this was some awesome snorkling-and if I remember correctly it was less than $20 per person to get in the park (it could be more than that now). It didn't cost anything additional to get into the water to snorkle on your own. There are lots of cool things to see in this park like ancient ruins, and lagoons, also exotic animals. It was really neat.

As far the hotel. We decided to upgrade to an ocean front room. It cost $25 extra a day-but we were on our honeymoon-and it was well worth it-it was so beautiful. The first room they gave us overlooked the playground-not where we wanted to be on our honeymoon. The only negative about our room was the air conditioning did not work very good-if at all, and leaked all over the floor-despite constant calls-it was never fixed (hopefully it is now), but we didn't let that ruin our time-as we really were only in our room when we were sleeping. We didn't use the safes in the room-and never had a problem. The beach is beautiful-feels just like you are in some magazine picture you always dream of! We never had a problem finding chairs on the beach or by the pool. It is fun and relaxing to walk along the beach because on one side there is nothing for miles-I thought that was real nice as most resorts are side by side.

As far as the food. The snack bar was great. Had a wide variety of foods: pizza, sandwiches, fries, icecream, nachos, etc. The buffet was ok. My husband and I are not picky whatsoever-but we found the buffet food to be ok sometimes and not others-however breakfast at the buffet was always good. You can get omlettes made with whatever you like in them. The chefs are awesome. As far as the 2 specialty restaurants-you do have to make reservations-and depending on how crowded the hotel is you have to make your reservations early. My husband and I ate at both the Italian and the Mexican restaurants. We liked the Italian better. The Mexican was ok-but had a very limited menu.

As far as outside the hotel-in town. We went into the town of Playa Del Carmen several times. It (then) cost $3 for a cab ride into town. We went shopping on 5th avenue. If you don't like to be bothered-5th avenue is not for you. There are locals standing outside there shops trying to get you and come in. They won't stop until you do. This didn't really bother my husband and I. When we found something we liked-we told them what we would give them for it-take it or leave it. We ate at Carlos and Charlies in Playa. Good food at reasonable prices. Also we went to Senior Frogs with the entertainment staff at the hotel. Every Friday you can sign up to go-and a big group of people from the hotel get together and go. There is a fee-and if you are not the party type-this is not for you-but my husband and I had a blast there. It was a great time! The hotel really has no night life after 9 p.m.-so the Senior Frog trip was right up our alley!

As far as the hotel staff. We found negative and positive aspects of the staff. I mean-there are a lot of people working there-so sometimes it is not the same people every day. We found almost all of the bartenders to be friendly (advice-bring a big mug-there glasses are like 8oz). The entertainment staff were friendly. Only a few of the people at the front desk were helpful. Working in the restaurant business myself-my husband and I did tip the staff members occasionally while we were there. We really didn't notice any different treatment because of this our appreciation for the tip either though.

Overall this vacation/honeymoon is one we still talk about every day. We wish we were still there! I haven't been anywhere else in Mexico to compare it to-as this was our first time out of the US. We would go back in a heartbeat! If anyone has questions-feel free to email me. Also-I tried to add pictures to help!

• Stayed: July 2004
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,228)

Reviewed May 15, 2005

We embarked on our second trip to Reef Coco Beach on May 9 and returned home late on May 13. I will try to organize my thoughts, comments and concerns with the resort as unbiasedly as I can :)

Last year I came with just my husband and we had a great experience (excpet for the rashes that i will go into later). This year, we were with my mother and her new husband on their honeymoom..:) and my aunt and uncle. Sometimes with Funjet you get a limo, which is nicer...we had a big van, which was pretty cramped...don't know if it's because of the time of year or that it's getting SO busy in Playa...but we shared a couple rounds of cerveza that the driver keeps in his cooler and the trip started out great...everyone is just excited to be on vacation! Got checked in no problems...the honeymooners (over 60) wanted a lower level room so they had no problem with the view of the pool. We wanted a better view of the ocean, so we ended up in #2402. Liked my location last year better...it was second floor right over the dive shop...we had a hammock to hang last year...much better side to be on...but it was fine...not one to argue which view of the beautiful ocean is better!

Boats floating out front don't bother us at all...it's what the resort is about...boat-related activites...diving, fishing, parasailing, it's all good....there's a public beach next door, but didn't seem to be a problem.

The food is just fine and there is plenty of it all the time...this is not even an issue. We loved the plentiful guacomole and nachos at the snack bar and we all ate alot there...i am still thinking about it!!! We ate at the Italian restaurant and thought it was good but a little fancy...I really like the concept of the buffet restaurant where everyone can have what they need all the time...there were six of us and we could all have whatever we wanted...nobody complained about the food...we felt spoiled by having it and appreciated it...you need to ask for a door hanger that will order you coffee and breakfast in your room...well worth the effort...it was beautifully presented.

There is no complaint in the drinks dept. It's top shelf and all you can drink...just brink your own BIG mugs or cups...they'll keep them full...tip the bartenders just because you should! Bring $100 in one dollar bills...you will thank me! Use them to tip everyone during your trip.

We never got turndown service, just because we keep the DND sign on to keep them out of our room...sounds nice, though...

The pool is HUGE and not a problem to get a chair...just sometimes a lot of little kids...it's an amazing pool and I love how big it is. The statue of the woman over the pool is beautiful! They have some great art here.

We went scuba diving through the Reef Marina and it was okay...not like Cozumel, but what is? Parasaling is overpriced but awesome and i'd recommend it. Horseback riding was not that great as they didn't take us into the jungle as promised but just a long, hot road...if you're interested in horseback riding, make sure you know what you're getting.

Shopping in town is fun, just learn to deal with the carnival barkers...some of them are interesting! We usually walk the beach to town and then take a cab ($4) back with our stuff. I truly love the town of Playa because it's a safe way to explore Mexican culture. We were getting up to half price on most stuff we really wanted to buy...just start to leave...We always have a great time!

Had a fabulous vacation and would go back no problem except for the rashes i get each time...don't know if it's the water or beach or what, but always get rash, it looks like dark brown splotches, but it goes away after a few weeks...nobody else in our group had this...so maybe it's just me. And my husband gets sand flea bites or something....anybody else?

To sum it all up....the two couples with us that hadn't ever been to an all-inclusive loved, loved, loved this place....we really like it too, but are becoming a little bit worried about how we feel when we get back...anyone else having symtoms of flea-like bites or rashes?

Stayed: May 2005
17  Thank KatyTxFords
Reviewed May 14, 2005

Just returned from the Reef Coco Beach. We were there for 10 wonderful days...April 26-May 6. We checked in without any problems. We were concerned after reading several posts here about getting bumped due to over booking, but there was no problem whatsoever. We were given our choice of 3 different rooms. We opted for a room on the 3rd floor (#2347), which overlooked the swim-up bar at the pool, and also had a partial ocean view. The room was very clean with 2 double beds. We would have preferred a king, but it was no big deal. The mattress was on the hard side, but we got used to it. We requested two extra pillows, and they were delivered right away. There is a refrigerator in every room that is stocked every other day with beer, coke, "light" coke (diet), and orange soda. Make sure you check the temperature setting if you like your drinks cold. There are also two bottles of water in the bathroom that cost $1 each if you use them. Once they are empty, you can re-fill them at no charge down in the Mirimar (buffet) resturant. The rooms also have a large closet with mirrored doors, and there's plenty of room for your luggage. The dresser space is limited, but there are shelves in the closet if you need them. There is an in-room safe that's an additional $3/day, but it has a digital lock, so you don't have to keep track of a key. You set the combination yourself. The bathroom is nice, and has a hairdryer and seperate make-up mirror. There's quite a bit of counter space for your toiletries, and the maids make the paper products look like fans when they clean the room. We had plenty of towels. We did have to ask for another washcloth once because for some reason, one disappeared. All in all, the room was very nice. One night, we had turn-down service where they made the bed look nice, and put chocolates on our pillows. You can get room service with a limited menu for breakfast or dinner, but we never took advantage ot that.
The pool area is great. There's a kiddie pool section that's very shallow, and the entire pool is no more that 4'1". There is a wall in the pool under the foot bridge that crosses the pool, so don't try to swim under it! There's also a ledge around most of the pool, which is nice to sit on. The swim-up bar is great. Sometimes it took a while to get a drink because at times, there wasn't a bartender assigned to the swim-up side of the bar. You can also access this bar from the pool deck.
The beach is awesome! It is definately the best we've ever been on. If you walk north, there is nothing but undeveloped beachfront. We walked it every morning. The locals hang out there some, especially on the weekends. It was fun to watch the kite surfers. The sand is very white and soft, and the water is very clear. The hotel has numerous palapas to sit under. We never had a problem getting one. A previous report said that there weren't beach waiters, but we had several staff people every day that came around to pick up cups, and they would ask if we would like another drink. Many guests used insulated cups of all sizes for refills, and there was never a problem. I would say the glasses the hotel uses are 8-10 ounces, so if you want larger drinks, bring a cup.
The activities staff are a great bunch of young people. It is quite a mix of international personnel, and they are very energetic. There are all kinds of things to do from aerobics, to beach volleyball, bocce and more! If you prefer to kick back and relax, go for it!
The food was very good. The breakfast buffet has an omlette station, wonderful fresh fruit, and too many other dishes to count. The lunch buffet always has two kinds of soup, lots of salad fixings, and an assortment of hot and cold dishes. We had lunch at the snack bar almost every day. The snack bar was great! You could get burgers, sandwiches, chicken wings, pizza, BBQ chicken, nachos, quesadillas, tostadas, and wonderful ice cream (try the coconut!). The dinner buffet had different "themes" every night. Our first night, dinner was served on the beach, which was a huge undertaking by the staff between set-up, serving, and take-down. We were told that they only do it 2X a month. The dinner buffets were good. Most nights there was either grilled or roasted meat, and there was always fresh fish. For several nights for $22/person, you could have a lobster dinner if you ordered it ahead of time. We decided to try it, and it was pretty good. The lobster was a broiled tail (pretty good size), and anything from the buffet. The charges were billed to your room. The a la carte resturants were very good. You need to make a reservation in the morning, but we never had a problem getting one. Men have to wear long pants, but the resturants are air conditioned. My husband preferred the Italian resturant over the Mexican one, but I liked both of them.
There are shows every night, but we never went to them, so I really can't comment on them. The night we had dinner on the beach, they staged an elaborate dance show both on the beach and in the water.
There are two bars at night. The lobby bar has live music, usually a trumpet or trombone player, which was nice, but the lobby bar can get pretty warm, and there's not much air moving around. We preferred the Sports Bar, which was air conditioned, and there are places to sit on the deck outside to enjoy the night breeze and watch the lights over on Cozumel. The Sport Bar also has a pool table, and numerous TVs to watch various sporting events.
The hotel has a salon, but we didn't use it. It also offers massages on the beach. I had a 30 minute massage, and it was heaven! The massages are $30 for a half hour, and $50 for an hour, and it is billed to your room. There is also a small gym with free weights, 2 treadmills, an elliptical cross trainer, and a recumbent bike. There is also a 3 station weight machine as well as both a men's and women's sauna. The gym is air conditioned, but there isn't any staff (this is common at most places).
There is a great jewlery store at the hotel. It had alot of nice silver jewlery. There is some gold, but they seemed to specialize in silver. We purchased a couple pieces. When we went to Playa Del Carmen, we checked out some jewlery stores there, and we felt the store at the hotel was better.
Just in case you need to call home, there is a phone card phone in the lobby. The phone card machine is right next to the phone. There's also two computers which operate with peso coins in the same area. The rooms also have phones, and if you call to the US or Canada collect, there's no charges for using your room phone. We haven't gotten our home phone bill yet to see how expensive our calls were.
The hotel has a car rental kiosk as well as a place to book excursions. We didn't use them, but the prices for excursions are posted so you can check out the prices before you go in to book. We rented a car from an agency near the airport, and parking at the hotel was never a problem. There is also a place the vacation booking companies have representatives to confirm your returning flights, or if you need any help. We were contacted a couple days before we left to remind us to stop by to confirm our shuttle and flight.
All in all, we loved the hotel, and would definately go back. We hope to do so next year!

• Stayed: April 2005
20  Thank laurie1228
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Food was good - buffet had variety (roasted pig, ribs, pasta, mexican stuff, salads etc.), the Italian was very good, avoid the steak at the Mexican but other food was great; the snack bar was always handy with a wide selection

grounds are nicely groomed, green and well taken care of

pool is clean and quite shallow (deep end is 4 feet I think) with shallow ledge on edges and swim up bar

4 bars - good service and a good variety of drinks - bring your own cup or mug if you like larger drinks

service - great from the staff but poor at the front desk (conflicting information - only got our crib on the 4th day and the iron on the second day and had to pay $50 to stay in our room on the last day until 5pm)

beach - wide and long (long if you venture onto the public beach which is also as nice) - cleaned every two days since accumulation of weeds is pretty high.

boats - this is so silly - 25 boats just beyond the swimming boundry but none to the right or to the left of resort - locals' way of saying "take this" to the resort that took their beach away and also the reef protects the boats

snorkeling - right there infront of the resort - reef is mostly dead but still nice - other options$$$ available near by.

tennis, basketball, watersports, snorkeling, cayaking etc.

view from sports bar is great - can see Cozumel on a sunny day.

Trips - rent a car and go to Chitzenitza - much cheaper and quicker than the tour - Tulum is also nice but not as good - don't know about Coba - remember it gets very hot inland

Playa Del Carmen - 5th avenue is full of stores and restaurants - prices same as in Canada or US

Internet - avaialable at Hotel

Shows - adequate but not great - good for kids

Night life - there is the lobby bar with some music, the shows and the sports bar with music, tv and games

rooms - simple, clean, good selection of TV channels, fridge bar replenished every day - although some people complained at the front desk that their fridge wasn't

Kids activities - play ground and activity centre + teenage room with games

Main lobby - attractive but not jaw dropping - no marble with sharks swimming in aquariums

22  Thank Radek99
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston,Tx
Reviewed May 8, 2005

My partner and I have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Reef Coco and we had a blast. This was our fifth trip to Mexico (2nd time to Playa Del Carmen) and we will definitely be back. Although the Reef Coco was not the BEST resort we have stayed at, it does rank high among the other hotels we've been to. The Reef Coco is a small resort (just 200 rooms) compared to the mega-resorts we have stayed at. This means that there is less walking distance from your room to the pool, or the restaurant, or the beach, or to anything. On the downside, I rather enjoyed walking the expansive, manicured grounds of the big resorts. But don't get me wrong, the Reef Coco is pretty. Everywhere you look, you want to take a picture.

We had read several reviews and were concerned about over-booking and being bumped. But in reality, our check-in went smoothly and we even got the room we requested (on the top floor on the left side is best: not too noisy and away from the kitchen/restaurant). Our room was clean and everything worked (the AC worked TOO well...I was freezing at night and actually had to raise it). The bathroom was clean and the shower had instant hot water. Although they supplied you with bottled water ($1USD each), the hotel ran purified water and I brushed my teeth with just regular tap water and had no problems.

Whenever I go on vacation, I tend to over-eat. The Reef Coco is a good place to over-eat. I found the food in the buffet-style restaurant excellent. The choice of entrees are not as overwhelming as the mega-resorts, but the selections are good and there are a lot of fresh vegetables and the sweetest fruits. There are two specialty restaurants, Italian and Mexican. Both were very good, but we enjoyed the buffet better. But go ahead and try the two restaurants, the dining rooms are pretty and have a really nice view of the hotel and the beach. The serving staff is very nice, but there is not enough of them. They can't seem to refill my diet Coke faster than I can drink it. I found it faster just to get up and go to the bar next to the buffet and ask for another drink.

The beach is the main reason we go to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. It's not the hotels, or the food , or the shopping, or the bars. The beaches in Mexico are breathtaking. The sand is clean and almost white-looking in bright sunshine. The water is clear and the colors are unreal. When you see postcards of Cancun beaches with it's aqua-blue waters, that's how it actually looks. The beach at the Reef Coco is nice. It is just a few feet away from the pool area. There were plenty of lounge chairs available and they have built many new palapas for shade. Past reviews had negative comments about the boats parked along the beach. I actually liked looking out and seeing them bobbing up and down. It was like being in some kind of fishing village. If you don't like the boats, just walk down the beach a little and you will see nothing but beautiful sand and sea. The only downside of the beach: nobody brought you drinks, so you had to trek back to the pool bar to get a drink.
FOR: Small size means less walking, more intimate setting, not too loud. Great food, clean rooms, friendly staff, very close to town/shopping, nice beach
AGAINST: Not enough serving staff in restaurant, no drink service at the beach, nightly entertainment show was lame, the whole resort was quiet by 10pm (this could be a good thing if you are not a night person).

In Conclusion: Although not the best resort we have stayed in, we definitely enjoyed our time at the Reef Coco. The food was good and more importantly, we did not get sick. The staff was very nice. The room was clean and the AC worked. This resort was well worth the budget price.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 7, 2005

I just returned from a week at the Reef Coco Beach with 9 gal pals (ranging in age from high 30s to low 60s) and we all had a great time. Read the horrible review from Canada the evening before we left so we were all a bit apprehensive. We were on a complimentary trip for being bumped last year (to the RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun) so were afraid that the same might again happen. I e-mailed the hotel before we left and was assured that our rooms would be available. Check-in was great and rooms were all very close together. This is my 4th trip to the Mayan Riviera and I love it more every time. My last stay was at the RIU Palace in Playacar which is awesome. The Reef Coco Beach is smaller and not as fancy however a good time was had by all. Not all of the employees speak English but here's a new flash....”we are in their country”.....try and speak their language. We never had any difficulty getting what we needed and they all went out of their way to please us. Oscar in the travel agency is awesome and will assist you in anything you need. He even made dinner reservations at Alux..(the cave restaurant) for us. Yes, there are some boats in front of the resort (maybe 15 or 20..) but they add character to the view and if you don't like them, walk 100 yards down the beautiful beach and sit there. We swam in the ocean everyday and not one of us was hit by a wave runner nor passed out from gasoline fumes. We ate at the specialty restaurants 3 nights (no problem at all securing reservations) and loved them every time. Having 10 in our party, we were able to try almost everything on the menu. The guest rooms are not the largest but they are clean and the air conditioning works great. We all were on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool between the lobby and the beach. The grounds are beautiful and kept very clean. The shows are cheesy but I give them an A for effort. We all took huge mugs which were happily filled for us with anything we desired. Playa del Carmen is a charming town and a short walk down the beach. The vendors do get a little pushy at times but a simple "No Gracias" always stops the sales pitch. We went to the sister hotel (Reef Playacar) but were told they no longer have exchange privileges. We had to get a little forceful and they finally agreed to honor our wristbands. The grounds at the Playacar resort are pretty (very green and tropical) but we all preferred the newer and smaller resort at Coco Beach. We returned home to rain in Sacramento and are already looking forward to our next Mexico trip.

16  Thank lofdol
Reviewed May 5, 2005

Me and my friend just returned from a 5 day stay at the reef, april 29-may 3rd. We had an excellent experience. The rooms are standard rooms, but very clean. It is true, if you stay near the lobby, it is very noisy at night, I think it would be best to stay along the sides of the hotel, or beachfront. The grounds are beautiful. The pool is very large, they had a kiddie pool, then you went into another pool that has the pool bar, there is a little bridge that goes into another larger pool area. You are never without a chair, there are plenty, as well as on the beach too. The beach is so pretty, there are boats right in front which makes it so quaint. You look to the left and it is very secluded beach that you can walk, you go to the right and they have the reef marina that you can use kayaks, they have wave runners, they have parachute skiing (not sure what it was called). You are literally right on the beach! It was so nice not seeing another hotel, you got the feel you were in a secluded mexican paradise. The feel of the hotel is comfortable, you can do as much or as little as you want. The activities staff are friendly and fun. They have vollyball on the beach, they dance, they play crazy games, water aerobics, they have shows at night. The bars are fun too. The bar staff is friendly and fun. The lobby bar is that nice caribbean feel, with a trumpet player, the blender is going, the guests are friendly. There is a sports lounge which has a pool table, dj, and try the mexican flag shot - it will kill any germs you have. The food is very good, and you can eat whenever you want. The mirimar restaurant has a grill as well as buffet all the time pretty much. There is a snack bar. There are 2 dressier restaurants, food was excellent. Definately go in to town for $3 in a taxi, lots of restaurants /bars/stores. It is a 2 minute drive to get to. I would definately return to this hotel. I wish I took more advantage of some tours, like to Xacaret - which I heard is excellent, and to cozumel. There's always next time, this time I used my 40th birthday as an excuse, I'll have to come up with another excuse to come back. Hi Michelle & Michelle and Adam & Owen and all of the nice people we met. Hope to meet up with you again, Sharon & Sharon

• Stayed: April 2005