This review is long overdue-my husband and I stayed at the Reef CocoBeach for our Honeymoon last July. I feel I should add my opinion to help those out who are going to stay there. I too read all of the negative reviews before leaving and got quite scared. So I hope this helps.
We booked through FunJet, which seems to be one of the best ways to go because instead of getting on a large overcrowded bus from the airport to the hotel, we got a van, which only had 3 other couples going to different resorts-so we arrived at the resort a lot quicker than many other people. Also the Funjet representatives are on location at the hotel (out near the pool area) and they are very helpful. They can book different activities for you-and usually for a better price. My husband and I did the Maroma Beach snorkling/parasailing adventure. This was pretty cool-but not as great as I would have expected it to be. It was my first time snorkling out of the USA-and I expected to see a lot more fish and things. It costed about $90 for both of us. Honestly, we found the best snorkling in Cozumel. If anyone would like to take my advice-listen to this-take a ferry over to Cozumel for the day-rent a car-or we rented a jeep and we just drove around Cozumel for the day. We stopped at Park Chankanaab-wow, this was some awesome snorkling-and if I remember correctly it was less than $20 per person to get in the park (it could be more than that now). It didn't cost anything additional to get into the water to snorkle on your own. There are lots of cool things to see in this park like ancient ruins, and lagoons, also exotic animals. It was really neat.
As far the hotel. We decided to upgrade to an ocean front room. It cost $25 extra a day-but we were on our honeymoon-and it was well worth it-it was so beautiful. The first room they gave us overlooked the playground-not where we wanted to be on our honeymoon. The only negative about our room was the air conditioning did not work very good-if at all, and leaked all over the floor-despite constant calls-it was never fixed (hopefully it is now), but we didn't let that ruin our time-as we really were only in our room when we were sleeping. We didn't use the safes in the room-and never had a problem. The beach is beautiful-feels just like you are in some magazine picture you always dream of! We never had a problem finding chairs on the beach or by the pool. It is fun and relaxing to walk along the beach because on one side there is nothing for miles-I thought that was real nice as most resorts are side by side.
As far as the food. The snack bar was great. Had a wide variety of foods: pizza, sandwiches, fries, icecream, nachos, etc. The buffet was ok. My husband and I are not picky whatsoever-but we found the buffet food to be ok sometimes and not others-however breakfast at the buffet was always good. You can get omlettes made with whatever you like in them. The chefs are awesome. As far as the 2 specialty restaurants-you do have to make reservations-and depending on how crowded the hotel is you have to make your reservations early. My husband and I ate at both the Italian and the Mexican restaurants. We liked the Italian better. The Mexican was ok-but had a very limited menu.
As far as outside the hotel-in town. We went into the town of Playa Del Carmen several times. It (then) cost $3 for a cab ride into town. We went shopping on 5th avenue. If you don't like to be bothered-5th avenue is not for you. There are locals standing outside there shops trying to get you and come in. They won't stop until you do. This didn't really bother my husband and I. When we found something we liked-we told them what we would give them for it-take it or leave it. We ate at Carlos and Charlies in Playa. Good food at reasonable prices. Also we went to Senior Frogs with the entertainment staff at the hotel. Every Friday you can sign up to go-and a big group of people from the hotel get together and go. There is a fee-and if you are not the party type-this is not for you-but my husband and I had a blast there. It was a great time! The hotel really has no night life after 9 p.m.-so the Senior Frog trip was right up our alley!
As far as the hotel staff. We found negative and positive aspects of the staff. I mean-there are a lot of people working there-so sometimes it is not the same people every day. We found almost all of the bartenders to be friendly (advice-bring a big mug-there glasses are like 8oz). The entertainment staff were friendly. Only a few of the people at the front desk were helpful. Working in the restaurant business myself-my husband and I did tip the staff members occasionally while we were there. We really didn't notice any different treatment because of this our appreciation for the tip either though.
Overall this vacation/honeymoon is one we still talk about every day. We wish we were still there! I haven't been anywhere else in Mexico to compare it to-as this was our first time out of the US. We would go back in a heartbeat! If anyone has questions-feel free to email me. Also-I tried to add pictures to help!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico