I will attempt to be as fair and accurate as I can. I have concerns, however, this resort also has positives.
The room - all rooms face the pool, with the exception of approx 10 rooms that actually face the ocean. We were asked at reception if we wanted to "upgrade" when we were checking in. Upon seeing the room we declined, other than the view it's the same finish. The maid service was good, indeed all the staff are hardworking (shout outs to David, Milton and Sara).
Pool area & amenities - the pool is always warm (the sun is on it all day). It's clean and we saw several checks on chlorination being completed during our week stay. The are activities for every member of a family. However, note, this is small resort small children and teens are going to get bored here. There is also a bar with a foosball and pool table, however, it's little used or known about by the guests. Kayaks are available for 1 hr, no sailing, and scuba is also offered for $. At night there is a show or some entertainment scheduled at approx 8pm in the theatre room. This room is air-conditioned. Wifi is $15 per day, this should be free. $17.50 for the safe for a week.
The food - this is where it is bad. We only ate the buffet once and then avoided it after. Was sick the first night. The Italian and Mexican restaurants are "ok". $6 per person for the Mexican, just to get in. Both a la carte have "premium" plates available for additional $. Better to head into 5th avenue and eat off the Main Street. Note, 5th avenue is extremely commercial - avoid shopping or eating on the main road and get off on the side roads where the prices are 4 times cheaper. Read my review of 5th avenue for more information.
The drinks - are ok, ensure to tip the server and you'll be set right. There is also a "premium" drinks menu available with a different bracelet at a cost of $19 per person, per day.
The beach - is elevated and private. However, leads onto a narrow sandy beach down some steps. There are 8 daybeds on the elevated beach. Book the use of these beds from reception early on the morning of use. The beds are free to use :), however, you'll need to wake up by 6:30am to book them. The beach is clean, construction was occurring during our stay with 2 new piers. Not sure how this will enhance the property. There are enough loungers for the size of the property and # of guest! both at the beach and pool. If you need shade though, make sure to leave your towel early.
5th Avenue - is a 10-15 walk away. $5 by taxi, $7 to get back. It's way too commercial, recommend not to buy on this road. You will be hassled by the shop owners and they do get aggressive and offensive when you decline or do not buy. There are lots of shops and plenty of restaurants - for all price ranges and appetites. We went to a Mexican on 5th it cost $45US for 2 ppl, with drinks. We went to 30th avenue (Dona Marie) several days later and it cost $10US to everything! We also went to a Argentinian Steakhouse (because the steaks were so good), the meal was $60US.
Overall this resort is average. You get what you pay for. Avoid the food, enjoy the hardworking staff and beach. There's a local Cetone about 30min walk along the beach that again no-one talks about. Go find it and enjoy the cold refreshing dip in the lagoon - it's great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico