“Wonderful!!”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #102 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed for four days. Nice quiet spot with beach front views. The room & hotel were always kept clean. The food, drinks and entertainment was good. My only criticism is that the staff didn't seem prepared for a hotel of its size & the mattress was hard.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AstridIVa
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear AstridlVa,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your vacation at our resort.
We are very happy with your nice comments the location and the cleanliness.
We would like to know why you think the staff is not prepared for the size of the hotel and we hope you can write us an email. Our objective is to provide better service every day.
If you plan on coming back let us know… we have a special offers for all our returning guests.

Warmest regards

Write a ReviewReviews (4,228)

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I read all the reviews and did lots of research before choosing this resort and most reviews where on point. The resort is nice but not the best on the strip I personally chose it because of the cheap price and the water looked better than other resorts, so I wasn’t expecting anything fancy. This resort is great for those who want a low key and cheap place to stay, not a resort to hangout. Also the popular 5th street is only 3 blocks away I would recommend walking during the day but at night you should taxi its only 5 bucks. One thing that bothered me was the ongoing construction kills the relaxing beach vibe but it doesn’t go on all day and if you sit away from it not that bad.
Food: The food was horrible, breakfast and lunch I would be the best times to eat because dinner didn’t have much of selection. I would recommend going into town they have some lots of places to eat for different price points.

Rooms: Upgraded room was really nice but the walls are paper thin and the shower leaks water so I got charged for a towel because we used it for the leak. Tip your maid and your room will be taken care of.
Beach: Is one of the best on the strip the comments about being a small beach are silly because there is plenty of beach.

Con being locked out of my room by reception:
I will say be careful when using expedia because they are only the middle man in this transaction. When booking the room the deposit was never processed this caused confusion with the front desk after check in. When I arrived I was only charged for my room upgrade and the next day when walking through the lobby I was told my room had not been paid for. So I tried to access the expedia site from the hotels computer but was unable to login even after logging on almost every day before the trip. I kept getting redirected the Mexico expedia site and I do not speak spanish. So when I found a number for expedia with they told me they couldnt help me that I should just pay. So I did just that because after an hour of dealing with this I was ready to move on but I was locked out of my room by the front desk assistant. I found this to be a bit terrifying because all my money and identification was locked away in the safe. So be careful because they will lock you out of your room if they feel like it.

Room Tip: Upgrade the new rooms are nicer
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank wonderlust_fun
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I don't know where to even start with this review. Our stay was THAT bad. However, I will start with the PROS: you can't beat the location. It is close (like 30-40 minutes) from several water parks and it is also close to fifth street, which is a cute little downtown in Playa Del Carmen. Besides that, I would not recommend this place to anyone. The staff is somewhat friendly and accommodating. For example, we were sitting outside on the patio and a huge coconut fell on the table next to us, almost hitting a guest on the head. The family was freaking out. At that same time, a manager was walking by our table and looked the other way. He didn't stop to ask if everyone was ok or any sort of reassurance. I will just list the problems I had as to shorten the length of this review:

1. The shower head fell on my head the first night in our room. I told the front desk and they laughed.
2. The beds are ridiculously hard. Like floor hard. If you have a bad back, stay away!
3. The pool furniture is disgusting. I don't think it's ever been washed or clean. They all had bird poop or other sorts of stains. And not just one or two stains but I mean the entire seat/bed.
4.They have a snack portion as part of the resort and only one cook. You can imagine the line for a piece of pizza.
5. Our door latch did not work. We had to wait for the repair man to come and fix it.
6. The food is pretty gross too. It's all inclusive but we ended up eating out.
7. They try to get you to do a 90 minute time share presentation as soon as you check in. They are very persistent.

In the end, the manager ended up apologizing to us and gave us a partial refund. He was willing to give us a "better" room but we ended up running for the hills. In the midst of all this chaos and wasted time at the front desk, we had asked to speak to the manager several times. Each time it was denied. The front desk person seemed terrified of having us speak to him. Overall, this place needs to shut down and be completely remodeled. Stay away!

7  Thank Margie P
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Our group arrived at about 11 am from Merida. Our plan was to check in and go to Xcaret. Xcaret was great. Upon returning no rooms had been reserved even though our reservations were prepaid our luggage was left unsecured in the lobby. We were tired so we wanted to go to our rooms. The hotel is under construction some elevators don't work. Initially they placed me in 2401 with no access to an elevator and hallway lights out. I went down to reception 3 times. I refused to accept the room. I was told by the security/bellboy that maybe tomorrow I could get another room. I was given another room on the first floor with no view but better access to amenities which seem so restrictive that I had minimal use. Most bars close early and only a snack bar from 10-12am with condiments so out of reach that you have to be about 6ft tall to reach them.Other people in my group told me that there was hair in their bathtub and there werre curtain left as if the room was being used for storage Enough said, I would not return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alex B
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Alex B,

Thank you for writing your review regarding your vacation at our resort.

We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your reservation. Please provide us with your name and arrival date and we will be able to check with the front desk and the reservation department what happened. Please contact us directly, so we can see what solution we can give you.

Actually the only area under construction at the hotel is our new lounge bar on the beach this is with the finality to can offer to our guest the best possible. This will be ready by…. Is not causing any inconveniences for the clients anymore, because the loud work is done. It is just finishing the details.

The problem about the bars we have the sport bar that close until 2 A.M at the same time the snack bar. This Bar is upstairs next to the Italian a la carte Restaurant.

Thank you to let us know, We are very sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. We hope you will contact us personally and we wish you happy future travels.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We arrived yesterday and with the several bad reviews we were a bit worried.

We were blessed to be received by an amazing KARINA FERRER. She has a wonderful personality and willingness to go beyond. I have to say not everyone here has the same attitude. They are lucky to have her.

What you should know
-hard to find if you are driving. Take 307 to Playa del Carmen to 46th. Ave - which signs show as CTM Ave. You will see a sign that shows The Reef - do not turn there - continue past the bridge overpass and look for CTM. It makes you think you should turn right - dont - its left all the way and then when you dead end you have to loop around to the left to access the front area of it. If you do take a right on CTM - you will find the walmart that sells just about everything- Even alcohol.
-safety deposit box is 2.5 a day extra - but we could opt out
-internet in a packaged deal is 7 a day for three devices - we were only able to get one on and are working to get this fixed now - but signal is strong.
-pool nice and large
-view to reef is blocked by MANY boats - my husband says its quaint - I think its an eye sour
-show last night was sweet - better than I would have thought
-we did not have trouble (at least so foar) in getting served the unlimited drinks.
-room comes stocked with 6 sodas and water every day.
-you get a card per person for blue beach towels - if you lose the card or towel its $35 so be careful

Rooms are OK. Towels worn. Breakfast good, Mexican upcharge

4  Thank Christina N
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I am detailed so here we go. The Reef is the last hotel in Playa Del Carmen proper in regards to direct roads etc. on the north side of the city. But it is still in a very good location as the very popular Fifth Avenue is only 2 blocks away. You will be welcomed to The Reef by an attractive sign at the entrance announcing The Reef Coco Beach. A Security Guard stands at attention at their Security gate 24-7 and will check all incoming vehicles to ensure that the passengers or drivers are guests of the hotel. A very nice large lobby with a turtle pond, plenty of chairs and lobby bar. Here you will also find a convenience store, the concierge, and internet. One of the cleanest, nicest, and air conditioned bathrooms I have ever seen are in this lobby. Attached to the lobby is the entertainment room where there are nightly shows for the guests. We did not make it to any of them. The convenience store can be a bit pricey therefore you could walk a couple of blocks to an OXXO. Just ask someone the way. When you first arrive adults will receive a glass of champagne and children a nice cool glass of a tropical juice. They will request that you leave your bags with the bellmen or by the turtle pond, there is no sinister plot here to separate you from your luggage. They just want the opportunity for the bellman to be able to take you and your bags to your room to talk about the hotel and perhaps receive a small tip. After checking in, the concierge will try to get you to attend a timeshare presentation. You can refuse the timeshare request if you want. Keep in mind the concierge is there for you to book other excursions or ask questions. I would recommend going to your room first and then speaking with concierge later if you have any questions as their main focus at first meeting you upon check in will be the time share. Try to avoid a room that is near the lobby no matter what floor due to noise. The grounds and pool are beautiful and clean. The swim-up bar is fun. They do have staff by the pool that will teach you some local dance moves, gather up some people for water volleyball or challenge you in a game of ping pong. They do have pool towels that are available by the pool which you will receive in exchange for your towel cards that will be issued to you upon check in. No need to play the towel game here, plenty of chairs. There are also staff that will spend the day around the pool area with your children playing different games with them, even taking them to the buffet for lunch so you can have your peace and quiet. They were renovating the Hot Tubs when we were there in early May. Our room was large with a King bed. It was very nice with a flat screen TV. Great water pressure. Cleaned spotless every day. Due to large palm trees the balcony did not offer a view. The in room fridge had soft drinks, beer and juice. They provided two new bottles of water every day if used up. Most rooms offered only a view of the pool. Very few offered a view of the ocean. There are racoons and large igaunas that live around the hotel. They charge $2.50 US a day for the in room safe if you want to use it. The alcohol was fantastic. They did not short pour on anything and their brands were all name brands. I am Mr. Fussy when it comes to food. The food here was outstanding. The buffet changed everyday and we stayed for 10 nights. Sit by the windows near the ocean to get a cool breeze in the buffet. The Italian restaurant was great and it's menu would change to. We did not go to the Mexican restaurant. They do charge a $6 fee per person to attend the Mexican. The Snack Bar was good. The menu did not change at the Snack Bar during the day. Although the Snack Bar may close at around 6:00pm it will reopen at 11:00pm with a different menu for late night snacks. There is almost no beach in front of the hotel. Walk a few feet beside the resort to the North and you have lots of sand. You can also walk for miles to the north on the beach. Depending on the tide you can walk for about a one and a half miles before break water to the south. There are always two security guards stationed at the beach/pool entrance for even more guest comfort. You can take free kayaks out to the reef and use free snorkeling equipment. The staff everywhere is very polite and friendly. A couple of minor things to watch out for: The sports bar above the buffet and beside the Italian Restaurant is not worth visiting. It is run down and in need of a major renovation. The hotel does not have ice machines for guests or ice buckets. So we would ask the bartenders for plastic cups of ice and take them to our room. While hanging around the pool we spoke with several other couples from our age group (40s). We all agreed that The Reefs ranking on Trip Advisor is too low.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Brent D
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our stay started off rough. After a long day of travel we checked in and they immediately tried to talk us into scheduling a time the next morning to learn about their referral program.

We made the trek to a second floor room and the room key (they only had one to give us) did not work, so the bellman ran back to the front desk. When he returned, the key worked and we walked into an occupied room.

So we made the trek back to the front desk, where we were given a new room. Our reservation (paid for an upgrade) was for an "ocean view" room This 2nd room was on the first floor and looked out over the pool in the middle of the complex. We went back to the front desk and were told that because you could see the ocean by taking a step out onto the patio and looking over the hot tubs and beach cabanas, the room was considered an ocean view. I was then told that if I didn't like the accommodations, that I should contact my travel agent. (Note: booking the hotel on their website is auto-booked through a Miami Florida travel agent).

There were no other rooms available that evening, so we went back to the 2nd room. The room was dirty, the bed and table lamps were broken and the room smelled musty.

The next morning we were offered one of their only 4 beach front rooms for 1/2 price (~$100 additional). We wanted beach front, so paid the extra. The new room was much better. [Note: Room issues were not unique to us. My brother-in-law arrived 2 days before & they were on their 4th room by the time we arrived; a British tourist who we met said that he and his family were in their 3rd room next to a kitchen that was so loud his kids could not sleep;and a lady I met who's room had flooded when a roof leak caused the ceiling to collapse and there were no other rooms available.]

There are 3 restaurants & a grill. The main dining hall is a very basic buffet-style that was bland at best. However, the quality of the food did improve later in the week when what appeared to be a team of management showed up. Lorena and Tio were GREAT. Both were very attentive and always offered a big smile when we showed up. After the first morning, Lorena always remembered how I liked my coffee.

The Italian restaurant was good, but nothing exceptional. It was all inclusive except for steak and a few other items that cost $25 a plate. The most ironic thing was that the Mexican restaurant cost an extra $5 per person. The food was ok there, as well was the service.

We were told by one of the staff that the hotel was in the process of an ownership change and they knew that there were some issues, including staff who did not like the ownership change. In the last 3 days of our 8 day stay, we did see significant improvements in the the details - painting walls, improving the quality of food, so they seem to be on the right track.

Other than the front desk guy the first night, all employees were very nice and made the frustrations of that first night and the extra $$ we had to spend a little less painful.

The place has potential, but needs to work out its issues from the ownership transition.

We did feel very safe, as their security always had an indiscreet presence.
Pool is very clean.

Beach access is good.

Drinks (in my opinion) are watered down. I finally switched to straight whiskey over ice and tipped the bartenders to fill the glass.

5th avenue is a 10-15 minute+ walk to the north end. So a walk to the heart of 5th ave is 30+ minutes. Between 5th ave and the hotel is a little sketchy at night. Cab ride is $5 for 2 people.

Wi-fi is too expensive.

Room Tip: Beach front #2401 was probably one of the best rooms available in the hotel, although a long walk to...
5  Thank CBL541
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear CBL541

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review of your vacation at our resort.

We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced getting the right room. We would love to have the room number of your ocean view room, so we can check this out.

We are glad you mention the web site where you booked. This is not the official hotel web site and we are trying to get this web site of the internet, since it is mispresenting the hotel. The official hotel web site can be found here within the Tripadvisor listing. We are trying all possible ways to avoid sales from the other web site.

We would like to stress out that your comments regarding the ownership change are not totally correct. The Managemnt changed almost two years ago and the management is still doing changes to upgrade the hotel , so we can offer the best service to our guests. We have made a lot of different changes already and we are still continuing and we appreciate your feedback.

Regarding the a la carte restaurant with surcharge, it depends which services you book. The hotel includes 1 a la carte restaurant with the standard package and with the superior and premium package, the second a la carte restaurant is also included.

We are happy you enjoyed the pool area, the staff, and the location and if you plan to visit us again anytime soon, please let us know directly, so you can enjoy our special extras for our returning guests.

Best Wishes