“Very Pleasant Stay-Will Come Back Again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Reef Coco Beach

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #104 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Port Alberni, Canada
“Very Pleasant Stay-Will Come Back Again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Reef from Mar 1 - Mar 11, 2014. We were picked up at the airport by Canada Transfer, with our cold beverages waiting and being the only ones on the shuttle were quckly wisked to our hotel which took about 40 mins.
Right from the time we entered the hotel, we were treated very well and David at the desk showed us up to our room. He was genuinely a happy and courteous young man and he made us feel right at home.
We were quite pleased with the weather as we had not been to Playa before and to swim in the ocean every day was a real treat as I had not realized the water would be so warm.
The staff around the Reef are constantly busy scrubbing or painting or fixing something and keep it neat as a pin. They are all pleasant and polite and always willing to keep everyone happy.
The food at the Miramar is very good and there is alot to choose from. Some things may be repetitive, but for the most part, there is always alot of everything and one can never go hungry.
Our room was comfortable and we were on the second floor 2306, with a hottub on the deck for use of several rooms that were on that floor. We only used it once when it bucketed rain 1 day. The only thing I will mention which was a negative was about the Wifi which you have to pay extra for. I don't know of any other place we stayed in where had to pay extra. And you had to keep re-signing in with your code several times a day, because it kept bumping you out. If enough people mention this, maybe it will be changed.
We loved that it was so close to 5th Avenue, as we went there alot, so much to see and we did not see it all.
We really loved the beach and white sand and you can walk for miles if you want to.
Kudos to Kevin in the lobby for the nightly special coffees. He always did a good job and always had a smile on his face.
If anyone is worried about security, this is in full force at the Reef, there is always someone at the gate stopping the taxis going in and out. We felt very safe the whole time there. There is also severy security guards posted around in the eve by the beach and restaurants as well.
All in all, we had a very nice stay at the Reef, so don't go believing all the negative reviews you hear about the room and the food and the people who work there.
Some people just like to complain about everything. We will definately come back.
Thanks, Reef Coco Beach, hope to see you again!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Suzayne
ManagementGCB, Director General at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Suzayne,

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in the Reef with us. We are very pleased to hear that you had a great and special time with us.
On behalf of the whole resort we would like to thank you for your beautiful comments regarding the nice welcoming, the good food and the friendly and happy staff. We will gladly forward your special thanks to David and Kevin. Thank you also for your constructive critisism regarding the Wifi, and we will discuss this matter with the manager in charge.
We would love to welcome you here once more, so if you decide to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us directly for our special offers for retourning guests.
Best wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

This hotel was great. Good location, staff worked tirelessly. The food was lovely, omelette station and salmon at breakfast with plenty of other lovely food. The house wine was nice. We couldn't have chosen a better hotel and location. You could walk for miles if you wished. All staff cheerful and worked really hard. Fabulous and would stay there again without a doubt. We had a lovely room with 2 double beds.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

4 Thank shadbolts
ManagementGCB, General Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear shadbolts,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review for us. We are very happy that you had a memorable stay in our resort.
It is a pleasure for us that you enjoyed the delicious food and the beautiful location.

Thank you also for your nice comments about our hard working staff.
It was a pleasure for us to host you and we would be very happy to welcome you here again very soon.
We also have specials for returning guests, so if you decide to visit us again, feel free to contact us directly.
Schuyler, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We had the best time ever ! The staff was always ready to help in any way from the very top to the very bottom ! Very hard working people ...Victor, and Sergio are very nice young men willing to always help or have a smile on their face and they seemed to never go home ....I loved how Victor knew our last name and room number . The staff at the restaurant was out standing and loved the bartender at the disco ! The walk to 5th street was great ... Not one person working there rude,unwilling to help or lazy even loved Bety ! But the topping on the cake was our room 2229 best view hope to stay in that room again ... Soon !

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Melissa K
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at The Reef Coco Beach Hotel from February 19-26 (Wed to Wed). The hotel and staff were excellent and worked incredibly hard to please us.

Before we arrived I worried about noise, hot water, privacy, beds, renovations, neighborhood safety, etc., but the hotel, beach and town were comfortable, clean, accessible, fun and we always felt safe.

In our room at night during the week, including weekends, you could hear a pin drop. I know other people wrote about noise, but at night it was very quiet and the hotel was full of people. We never ran out of hot water and the room, bathroom and balcony was clean and functional with white tile floors. We didn't bother with internet but we did get a safe for the week for a few extra dollars, which was easy to use and we always locked our valuables. I can't imagine the room being broken into because the doors are solid with electronic card locks and constant security.

Drinking water is available with water coolers on each floor around the hotel. We just filled up our little Brit a water bottles we brought with us. Sometimes I used the hotel`s empty water bottles and froze them in our room fridge and then took them to the beach. The beds were softer than I expected. I have a phobia about hotel beds and pillows but the sheets and many various pillows smelled fresh and clean. The entire hotel is really clean and a small army of staff is constantly cleaning up behind the guests. I loved the place and the staff, which surprised me.

My only issue was getting chairs in the shade, anywhere! There were lots and lots of chairs in the sun but shade is a premium. I was getting up at 5 am to put a towel on the chairs we wanted for the day in the shade and still other people were beating me to it. I recommend putting your towel over the chairs you want before you go to bed. Don`t worry they have a security guard that sits down by the beach all night.

The hotel has good security and they take their job seriously. I had to wear a yellow plastic wristband that I hated and one day in silent protest I took it off and stuck in my pocket, but so many security guys stopped me that I gave up and wore the wristband for the rest of my stay. The security guys were really nice about it and we laughed when I would pull it out of my pocket and shake it at them and they would try to get me to wear it, we all laughed. One afternoon on the beach when we were in swimming some guy, not from our hotel, was hanging around our chairs with our cameras and stuff lying out in plain sight (stupid me), but our security guy zeroed in on the guy and chased him away. When I got out of the water I thanked the security guard and tipped him 50 pesos, which is a small price compared to losing our valuable stuff. Thank you security!

I don't know about the drinks because we don't drink but the food was good. There was plenty of food and enough variations in the cafeteria to make eating interesting and fun. One night we did eat upstairs in the Mexican restaurant for a couple extra dollars, $6 each I think. It was a fine dinning experience and we enjoyed the food, ambiance and excellent service. Many other people seemed to enjoy the Italian restaurant as well. The two restaurants are side by side above the cafeteria. There is also a good little takeout place by the pool that serves burgers, fries, nachos and other stuff. But most of all we liked the cafeteria buffet because we could pick and choose the food and amount we liked the most. The service in the cafeteria was always good and the drinks were always cold. On Monday nights the cafeteria is closed so they can scrub and sanitize the entire place and instead they have a Mexican buffet in the auditorium which was terrific and fun with some more authentic Mexican food and entertainment.

The staff really does work hard! I tipped almost everyone including the front desk guys. I left the cleaning lady 100 pesos a day and she was worth every peso. Mexican's work for tips or haven't you watched a Clint Eastwood western? I didn't forget to tip the waiters, cooks and bellboys.

Beware when in town or eating out you may be charged on your bill a 15% service gratuity and they won't likely point it out to you, so be careful and don't over tip!

Walking from the hotel to 5th Ave is a snap. It is two short blocks. We walked every night from the Reef Coco Beach up two blocks and along 5th Ave, some nights, as far as the ADO bus terminal. On the first night or two the ADO terminal seemed a long distance because at first there are so many shops and people trying to get our attention. It is all in good fun and you have to get in the spirit. You quickly get used to the routine and the distances become less.
Everything on 5th Ave. is tourist prices: their wishful price x 4. One guy asked me for $80 and we settled on $25. Don‘t be afraid to barter. There are standard prices to be found like at the Harley Davidson shop on 5th Ave. I got a couple great Harley Playa Del Carmen T Shirts.

Playa Del Carmen is really safe provided I act accordingly and remember that I am a guest in another country.

The only tour we took was to Tulum. We took a taxi ($5 plus tip) from the hotel to the ADO bus terminal. We bought round trip tickets, but I wanted the return time open in case we wanted to stay at Tulum longer. This is a problem and we may not get seats on the bus we want coming back. You can buy your tickets when you`re leaving Tulum however seating may not be available so book your round trip seats back before you leave Playa Del Carmen. I was hoping for the old Mexican school bus with chickens and luggage on the roof, but all the buses are new, clean, air conditioned and show popular movies in Spanish. At Tulum 3.5 hours was enough for us to walk through the site and then walk back near the main road to buy souvenirs and eat lunch before catching the bus back to town.

All in all The Reef Coco Beach Hotel was a far better experience than I had expected. It is an older hotel but it is rebuilding and redefining itself with a constant barrage of maintenance staff and cleaners and great service with a smile. This hotel is working hard to impress and it shows. There is a VIP service that was not listed when I initially booked and I would look into that option if I book again. I appreciated the staff for their constant effort to please us. I always felt safe walking through the neighborhood. Hotel security is everywhere and there is a police outpost/station right in front of the hotel. Everyone should feel safe either day or night. Great hotel, great place and great people!

Room Tip: I didn't hear anyone complain about their rooms. When we arrived some people did get room change...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Hugh F
ManagementGCB, Director General at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Hugh F,

Thank you very much for your writing this nice and extensive review. We really appreciate you took the time to do this.

We will be very happy to welcome you back and pamper you with our gifts for repetitive guests. When the date come up please write us to let us know.

We wish you a great future travels and Thanks again for sharing your experience with everyone.
Best Regards
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

My family and I have just spent a week at the hotel and were pleased with the friendliness of the staff, however visitors should be careful of the large pack of wild dogs that have taken up residence in the hotel parking lot. These dogs not only are noisy but are quite intimidating as you enter and leave the hotel at night. They bark and fight constantly. Our young son was very frightened by these animals and frankly the dogs look quite sick. The hotel manager, Sr. Alphonso was dismissive. He stated that this is Mexico and they do own the property but do not own the dogs and are therefore not responsible. Either Mexico or Sr. Alphonso need to change attitudes before we return here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank David B

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Arnprior, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Back to this hotel this time for 2 weeks from January 23-February 6, 2014. I even brought my better half with me this year. (Went last year with the "lads" on a guys get away). Hotel has been going through some upgrades since last year. From the time we arrived we were both made to feel very special. We were given Room 2309 which has a private deck with hot tub.
Our room was on the left hand side (quiet side) and was very clean. Service in restaurants, pool and beach was great. This is a small hotel so has a few less choices at the buffet. We met and partied with some great people from all over the U.S. and Canada. Nice 15 minute walk up to 5th Ave. We spent at least 6 mornings and at least 10 evenings up on 5th. This hotel has one of the best locations if you want to spend lots of time on 5th.
The only negative I would say about this hotel is that they need to bring in "FREE WIFI". Most major hotels/resorts offer this and the REEF really should in the near future. I can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ArnpriorBobby
ManagementGCB, Director General at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Arnprior,

Thank you very much for write your experience at the Resort, We really appreciate that you enjoy your stay with us and we will be very happy to welcome you back next year. Please write us an email wheh you have your new reservation to to be sure you get the benefits we provide to our repetitive guests.

The Reef Coco beach family hope see you soon.

Best Regards.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Highly recommended! Awesome views from all angles
Sergio/Gabriella/ArgentineGirl/Milton bring it everyday - way underpaid
Plenty of activities if you choose - staring at the water was the best
Gracias

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Mark M
ManagementGCB, Director General at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for shared your experience, for us it is very pleasant to know that a lot of fun found in the resort.
Let us know when you decide come back to the hotel to can surprise you with the benefits of repetitive guests.

Regards from Playa del Carmen México
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,182 reviews

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!