The Reef Coco Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Grand Fifty Suites(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Pueblito Luxury Condohotel(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Sunrise 42 Suites Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Hotel 52(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Portea Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Real Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
4,288 results
All reviewsboats anchoreditalian restaurantsmall resortlobby barentertainment staffnachoscab ridepool viewrecommend this resortall inclusive resortfifth avenueglass of champagnesister resortspecialty restaurantsnight lifea great vacationplenty of chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I am at the resort right now. Day 5 of a 10 day stay. Great location in playa. Resort has nice rooms, we are ground level and close to beach, pool is right in front of us. Staff is great , and food is ok. Went from 60% full to 100 % full yesterday so we will see how they handle a full resort. I will check back later in the week

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jagerhawk
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Wow! 2 restaurants to eat at.... And Italian .... Oh no. So bad! Wait staff for drink service is pathetic. No one wants to make money. Staff in Buffett and dinner area's were fabulous. Hotel clean. But very very very small!!!! The pictures online are photo shopped big time. Paid over 4 grand just for resort for me husband and 7 year old son..... Was a joke!

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Coni0714
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I recently stayed here great hotel great location great staff specially diane upfront wow stunning lady and very helpful. 3 things need to be changed however the top shelf liquor charge is just wrong I stayed at many resorts never seen or heard of this . Paying extra to eat authentic Mexican food is wrong that's why u come to Mexico to expertise Mexican culture food etc. AND 3rd charging for a safe and internet is just hustling guests wake up were on vaction at resort we don't need to be slapped in the face with upcharging us.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slayer45
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at The Reef Coco Beach from Jan 14th - Jan 19th, and had a very good experience. We lucked out and came right at the end of the rain!! We are fairly low key people, and booked this hotel for a low maintenance, all inclusive vacation on the beach. That's exactly what we got. While it's not a luxury high end hotel, there are many attributes to this hotel that makes it a great find for those who are easy going and want all inclusive with great location. We arrived and received a glass of champagne at check in, which was a nice little perk. The staff are very personable and helpful, especially when you engage with them in a friendly manner. We loved Victor in the buffet! The room we stayed in was a little worn, but the staff kept it super clean, and kept it stocked with coffee and bottled water. Had lovely hot water for every shower (was a little worried when reading another review prior to our trip). *TIP*: Bring a refillable water bottle as they have water dispensers throughout the hotel, and trying to get more bottled water than the 3 bottles they provide in your room per day can be challenging. The beds were comfortable enough for me to get very good rest.
As for the food, the buffet was perfect for how I like to eat in Mexico; lots of fresh fish, fruits and vegetables along with some creative dishes to choose from at each meal time. The snack bar was a nice fill in when the buffet was not open with nachos, pizza's, burgers, and limitless ice cream cones from the ice cream machine (perfect for cooling off). The dinner at the Italian restaurant was pretty good, not exactly high end, but definitely nicer than the buffet. It had nice ambience and full wait service. In all, I never felt like my hunger or thirst needs went unmet here. The bars were always serving, and we definitely got our beer and tequila's worth out of our stay! The pool area nice and felt cozy but it's a nice size pool. We spent a fair amount of time out and about exploring, so we didn't get a chance to use all of the resort, but it was always nice to come back to. Also... one of the highlights was the use of free bikes to cruise around town! You will see tourists and locals alike on bikes everywhere!

What makes this hotel especially remarkable though is its location. It's located on the northern end of PDC within the town limits. 5th avenue is 2 blocks away, and while the neighborhood right around the hotel is in transition... it is perfectly safe to walk through this area to get to 5th avenue or to the local convenience store, Oxxo. Also, the security in general is excellent. There are always security guards making sure that only guests are entering into the hotel, and at night on the beach they are on watch so you can sit out there enjoying the ocean in the late hours. And the beach for this hotel is awesome! It is a little small but when I walked down the beach south towards the main part of PDC, I noticed that all of the other beach hotels were crammed together, crowded, and noisy. That includes some really high end hotels! The Reef's beach is somewhat separated from all of that mess, yet it's a 5 min walk to the action. Yes, there are some fishing boats in the water but that was everywhere that I could see. Then, the beach to the north of the hotel is way less developed and more scenic. It goes on for miles, past a few resorts, but far less crowded and noisy. It's probably more like how PDC used to be before it started to get developed so much.

While I do agree that the in rooms safes should be free of charge as well as free wifi in all the rooms, which would be more in line with modern hotel amenities, I would happily come back to this hotel. I keep my fingers crossed that they don't develop PDC too much more around the hotel or the north area because it was nice to found such a down to earth place located so close to all the action without feeling surrounded by it.

Room Tip: Try to get pool view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank kattybikegirl
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here 11th Jan for 1 week with my husband and friend, We were chilling after BPM festival. good points below:

Great location - nice walk to 5th Avenue
spotless
lovely staff
nice rooms
lovely pool
good food and drinks
great value for money

some constructive feedback:

show started at 8pm and then place was dead after that, need more to entertain guests at night
Entertainment Team were lovely but needed some direction and guideance. e.g no one wants to play party games at 11am, they are too tired or hungover. More people would participate if in afternoon. that's just one example, They did try though.

Thanks for a lovely stay

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends