“YET, ANOTHER AMAZING STAY.”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #103 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Reef Of Coco Beach 4 times personally. So when my mother had to do business in playa del carmen to buy potential property i Knew the best place to refer her to while doing business. Listen if i didnt think it was appropriate to have my mother stay there, believe you me....I wouldnt.

My mother Has never been to mexico...she was traveling alone....everything about this hotel was wonderful. She came back beaming, she loved the entertainment, she grounds were clean, they were flexiable with room availabilty, the rooms were cool, the staff friendly and always helpful. She couldnt have asked for me. SHE has traveled to many places and she came back with NOT ONE NEGATIVE response regarding this hotel. And that is the reason why i told her about this hotel everything she experience with this hotel is what i experienced.

Everytime I have stayed here the hotel it was amazing, Im not looking for A HUGE Resort, I like the smaller feel, Close to everything. I have 2 favorite places that I love to visit and shop...I NEW York city, and the second is 5th ave in playa del carmen.Literally the hotel is max only 4 blocks away, its a great walk, but if you didnt want to walk the cab fare is only 3 american dollars. The pool is great, never over crowded, you WILL find a place to lounge. They have a swim up bar, a snack bar all of which are very close to the pool. The rooms are comfortable if you plan on going to playa del carmen, and intend on staying entertained in your room 24/7..then you would complain but if you are active the room is perfect. I slept great when there, the beds are comfortable, the tv is good, the air condition works great... it can get pretty chilly in the room. My favorite room is the rooms with access to the private jacuzzi on the 3rd floor by the mexican and italian speciality resturants. The only set back is that the Jacuzzi doesnt get hot, and not all the jets work...but i can look past that. The Buffet is good, Eveynight they have a different "themed" Nights so your taste buds are more than satisfied. While staying at this resort i dont think i have eaten or drank more in my life. Mexican Pizza they make at the snack bar i couldnt eat 2 or 3 miniture pizzas a day, Not cute if you have to be in a swimsuit. ;). The Beach is Nice, white sand, lots of chairs, volleyball and other activities...its a mid-size beach not overally large and not tiny. the ocean DO have boats that are docked nearby, but there is more than enough space for those who want to swim in the ocean. Those Reviews that are complaining about the boats that are docked nearby are clearly trying to find something negative to say...Its not that way at all..Both myself and my mother felt safe at the hotel, they have security guarded entrance to the resort, have guards on the beach in the middle of the night, and literally at everytime of day and night there is staff everywhere. The staff is very professional and always willing to help....the piece that makes me love this hotel is that EVERYONE IS EAGER TO PLEASE, they always have a smile on their face, and that speaks volumes about this hotel. Betty at the spa is literally one of the sweetest people. The grounds were clean, well maintained....I dont have any complaints and I assure ALL OF you reading this review, you will enjoy this hotel if you plan on enjoying playa del carmen as a whole.. 5th ave, cozumel, tons of activities dolphenius, snorkling ect....even if you need relaxation you will find it at Grand Coco Bay... I Will BE BACK FOR my 5th stay at Grand Coco Bay IN May 2014: And I cant Wait.

Room Tip: Ask....The staff is always more than willing to satisfy your needs to.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank Sam A
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Sam A,

It is nice to hear that you and your mother had such a nice stay with us again. We appreciate you emphasize in your comments the great value the hotel offers.

As you kindly mention we are close to the 5th avenue, our pool is big providing a really good space for everyone & of course the night's themes everyday in order to offer menu's variety.

We look forward to welcoming you and your mother once again at The Reef Coco Beach (formerly Grand Coco Bay).

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I bought a Groupon a few months ago and took a trip to The Reef Coco Beach for 8 days. It was a great deal that included our airfare! We booked through Vacation Express and they took care of our flights and we paid an extra $25/each, both ways for a shuttle. The shuttle took almost as long as our FLIGHT! We stopped at 3 other resorts to drop off other riders and it took us almost 1hr 45 minutes until we got to our hotel. When we booked through Vacation Express we requested a king bed and ocean view. When we checked in, we had 2 double beds and our view was a huge palm tree. And sadly, because of a booked resort, we had to sleep in those double beds on our first night of vacation. But the staff let us switch rooms the next day and got our king bed...but no view of the ocean. Oh well.

The pool was nice and enjoyable. The food was about the same level of a large conference hall. Nothing special...except the Mexican food night. Amazing! There are two fine dining restaurants and it wasn't until halfway through our trip that we found out they were FREE. Wish we would have known that ahead of time, so we weren't eating average food.

I went to the spa and it was pretty awful. I booked a deluxe manicure & pedicure. The pedicure was in a back room (where workers came in and out constantly) and there was no pedicure chair. Instead, I sat on an uncomfortable pleather chair with my feet in a TINY Sally Henson foot soaker. I thought it was a joke. My manicure was average...nothing special. It hurt to pay $80 for that!!

My husband went scuba diving with the on-site dive team and LOVED it. Great teachers and it's totally affordable.

The drinks are VERY watered down. My husband TRIED to get drunk one day and in 5 hours, he drank 14 beers and NOTHING. Around beer 19, he got tipsy. We started taking shots after a while b/c it took so long to get a buzz.

All in all, it's a nice and clean resort but don't expect any frills.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view...that might work better than "ocean view"...I think they are limited...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank bjarrell

Dear bjarrell,

We are really sorry to hear you experienced some inconveniences during your stay and we would like to express our most sincere apology for this. We always ensure our guest comments’ to be distributed to all our staff in order to improve our service.

We are glad you could enjoy our Marina’s staff attention and our a la carte restaurants as well as our installations like the pool.

Front desk and bell boys always try to give all the hotel’s information the day of your check in along with the printed hotel’s flyer.

Thank you for choosing The Reef Coco Beach for your recent vacations, we wish you happy future travels.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at this resort. Everything was great. The actual resort itself was not huge so walking to everything was very easy. The grounds are well kept and clean, we stayed in room 2433 and had a view of the ocean and pool which was beautiful. The room was cleaned everyday and had no issues. The food was pretty good too! Buffet offers a wide variety of food and they also have a Mexican and Italian restaurant. I enjoyed the Italian food more so then the Mexican. Beach has a lot of boats parked in the water so that view could have been a little nicer but who cares your in the carribean at the beach right!!! Staff was great and the entertainment was nice. The Michael Jackson show was awesome.!!! You can also walk along the beach and get to 5th avenue it takes about 15 minutes. That's where you will find a ton of restaurants and shopping. So once again we enjoyed our stay and it was a very peaceful resort. Thank you reef cocobeach...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jennifer C
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Jennifer C,

We are glad you chose our hotel for your recent vacations.

It is nice to know you enjoyed your stay with us, great to know you had the chance to enjoy our menu’s variety and our shows as well as our staff’s attention.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband once again at the Reef Coco Beach.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

All inclusive resort, great food options from fine dining to sports bars.  Very clean and staff very helpful.  Good location close to Playa itself.  Great pool area with private beach, security conscious. We enjoyed our meal at the fine dining Italian Restaurant.

Dislikes:  Wifi charges

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ToTravelToo

Dear ToTravelToo,

It is nice to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. We appreciate you emphasize in your comments the great value the hotel offers. We look forward to welcoming you and your family once again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was not sure what to expect of this Resort from the reviews but I got a good deal on travelocity and decided to go for it. I took my best friend along because she has never really been to far outside of California and I had been dying to get to Playa Del Carmen since last year. Needless to say I was very pleased. The resort was very clean and well kept. The rooms were very nice with a balcony and ours you could see the pool and the beach it was amazing. The room had all the amenities you needed, well stocked refrigerator and coffee in the room. The beds were not hard which I had expected from reading reviews of most hotel in Mexico. The pool was lovely and the beach which was steps away was absolutely break taking. They had a buffet which served Breakfast, lunch and dinner which was really good nothing I had was bad but if you don't like the buffet they have 3 additional restaurants that you can choose from and a snack bar. The famous 5th ave was about a 10 min walk from the resort which was nice but if you didn't want to walk it you could always get a taxi which could run from $3.00-5.00. If I had one negative about the resort it would be that the Wi-Fi was not free it was $16.00 a day and that was not annoying to me because I was on vacation and didn't really need it but for my friend it was a real pain because she has kids and was not able to communicate with them often. We did locate free wi-fi at the Starbucks on 5th Ave so if you really needed wi-fi it was available in some area. So we were not totally in the dark ages. We were only here for 3 days and we spent a whole day just visiting all the ruins. So we didn't really get to take advantage of all the Resort had to offer but what we did was beautiful. So beautiful I am coming back in November just to take in all the things the resort has to offer. Now if you are a hotel snob and everything has to be perfect this resort may not be for you but because I know when I am on vacation I will be out and about little things do not bother me I am able to really take it in and see the beauty in it all.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2333 and we had a view of the pool and beach. I think if you get a room on second...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank odetoterry

Dear odetoterry,

It is nice to hear you had such a nice stay with us. We appreciate your comments and your emphasize on the great value this hotel offers.
We are happy to know you enjoyed our different menus.

We will be glad to welcome you once again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place if you need a small quick get away. Rooms are small but clean. Service was great all around. Beach was a little busy but nice. The buffet seamed to have a limited verity of foods. One week was long enough for us. You can walk to Playa Del Car. I would go back.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank gwenatthelake

Dear gwenatthelake,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Be sure your comment will be sent to upper management to improve our menu’s variety.

We will be glad to welcome you again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We made it back with our family this August. 9 of us had a great time.
As usual the check in went as smooth as can be. Alfonso, Zoila and Alermo at the front desk are hard working and wonderful people.

Manual showed as all to our rooms. On the way he told the newbies all about the resort.
Rooms have two double beds or one king. All rooms have a mini frig with a few sodas.
I do enjoy having the sliding doors that go out to the pool. Makes it very nice when you are lounging by the pool.

The buffet has many different choices for you to eat. It was great seeing our friends again. They had a table ready for all 9 of us. It was nice to sit and relax while looking at the beach. Can you say heaven… : )
The buffet had many, many different food choices. Whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. There is no reason anyone would leave hungry. Throughout our stay it was nice to see that must of our friends still work there. They will take great care of you. They all work very hard and appreciate the tips that people leave. Marco will make you the best omelet ever!!! You pick what you like to put in it and if you want cheese. Then he will do his magic. Delicious.

Upstairs is a Mexican and Italian restaurants. They open at 6:30 pm and you just show up. Samuel will be the one to seat you. You will order off a menu. All the servers are so sweet and have been there for years so they know their jobs and do it great.

Carlos and Abelardo at the pool bar are very busy. Those guys work their butts off and can still make you a great drink with a smile.
The lobby bar opens at 6 and closes at midnight. Gilberto did an excellent job serving us. He is such a funny character. We all spent time visiting at the bar. We met people from our city, met others who were having their wedding and honeymoon here. Awe….. We did watch the wedding. The Reef at Coco Bay did a great job. (Katina does the weddings)
Time for the sports bar. Bauldero was so happy to see us and to meet our family that came with us… This bar closes at 2:00 am. This bar is around the corner from the upstairs restaurants. It has a pool table and TV’s. You can take your drink out on the balcony and look out to the ocean. Great view!!!!

The beach is great. The grandkids had a great time building sand castles and swimming. They even snorkeled.

On our last day Jorge made us a special drink. He put a strawberry and kiwi on the top and he taped flowers around the glass. What a sweet guy.
Is the bar next door noisy? Some nights Yes. Is it the resorts fault? NO. Not sure what they could do about it, maybe build a wall between.. Bring ear plugs.
Is there boats in the ocean in front of the resort? Yes. They add character to the resort.

Some say it needs work or a facelift…. Maybe they could update some rooms, TV’s. But I am on vacation and I don’t spend that much time in my room. It adds charm. Some people just complain about the small stuff!!!!
The bottom line is this is not 5 stars but then again I didn’t pay for a 5 star. You will think its 5 star with the service that you receive.

Our granddaughters tell us that they hope they can go back to Coco Bay and see the friends they made at the resort.
Will we go again? We sure will. Hoping to bring more of our family to our home away from home.
See you in a couple months “Grand Coco Bay”, now the Reef at Coco Bay.
We miss the place already!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank captaincmr

Dear captaincmr,

It is nice to hear that you had such a nice stay with us and enjoyed our staff’s attentions as well as our activities and food.

We are always looking for improvements and your comments are really valuable for us. We are happy to inform you that we are preparing a facelift in the hotel’s rooms and some other areas.

As you said, it is not a 5 star Luxury Resort, but we are also not presenting the hotel like one and neither charging a 5 star rate.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family once again for a great vacation at The Reef Coco Beach.