“Mini Vacation to Playa”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #106 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was not sure what to expect of this Resort from the reviews but I got a good deal on travelocity and decided to go for it. I took my best friend along because she has never really been to far outside of California and I had been dying to get to Playa Del Carmen since last year. Needless to say I was very pleased. The resort was very clean and well kept. The rooms were very nice with a balcony and ours you could see the pool and the beach it was amazing. The room had all the amenities you needed, well stocked refrigerator and coffee in the room. The beds were not hard which I had expected from reading reviews of most hotel in Mexico. The pool was lovely and the beach which was steps away was absolutely break taking. They had a buffet which served Breakfast, lunch and dinner which was really good nothing I had was bad but if you don't like the buffet they have 3 additional restaurants that you can choose from and a snack bar. The famous 5th ave was about a 10 min walk from the resort which was nice but if you didn't want to walk it you could always get a taxi which could run from $3.00-5.00. If I had one negative about the resort it would be that the Wi-Fi was not free it was $16.00 a day and that was not annoying to me because I was on vacation and didn't really need it but for my friend it was a real pain because she has kids and was not able to communicate with them often. We did locate free wi-fi at the Starbucks on 5th Ave so if you really needed wi-fi it was available in some area. So we were not totally in the dark ages. We were only here for 3 days and we spent a whole day just visiting all the ruins. So we didn't really get to take advantage of all the Resort had to offer but what we did was beautiful. So beautiful I am coming back in November just to take in all the things the resort has to offer. Now if you are a hotel snob and everything has to be perfect this resort may not be for you but because I know when I am on vacation I will be out and about little things do not bother me I am able to really take it in and see the beauty in it all.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2333 and we had a view of the pool and beach. I think if you get a room on second...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank odetoterry
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear odetoterry,

It is nice to hear you had such a nice stay with us. We appreciate your comments and your emphasize on the great value this hotel offers.
We are happy to know you enjoyed our different menus.

We will be glad to welcome you once again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for The Reef Coco Beach

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place if you need a small quick get away. Rooms are small but clean. Service was great all around. Beach was a little busy but nice. The buffet seamed to have a limited verity of foods. One week was long enough for us. You can walk to Playa Del Car. I would go back.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank gwenatthelake

Dear gwenatthelake,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Be sure your comment will be sent to upper management to improve our menu’s variety.

We will be glad to welcome you again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We made it back with our family this August. 9 of us had a great time.
As usual the check in went as smooth as can be. Alfonso, Zoila and Alermo at the front desk are hard working and wonderful people.

Manual showed as all to our rooms. On the way he told the newbies all about the resort.
Rooms have two double beds or one king. All rooms have a mini frig with a few sodas.
I do enjoy having the sliding doors that go out to the pool. Makes it very nice when you are lounging by the pool.

The buffet has many different choices for you to eat. It was great seeing our friends again. They had a table ready for all 9 of us. It was nice to sit and relax while looking at the beach. Can you say heaven… : )
The buffet had many, many different food choices. Whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. There is no reason anyone would leave hungry. Throughout our stay it was nice to see that must of our friends still work there. They will take great care of you. They all work very hard and appreciate the tips that people leave. Marco will make you the best omelet ever!!! You pick what you like to put in it and if you want cheese. Then he will do his magic. Delicious.

Upstairs is a Mexican and Italian restaurants. They open at 6:30 pm and you just show up. Samuel will be the one to seat you. You will order off a menu. All the servers are so sweet and have been there for years so they know their jobs and do it great.

Carlos and Abelardo at the pool bar are very busy. Those guys work their butts off and can still make you a great drink with a smile.
The lobby bar opens at 6 and closes at midnight. Gilberto did an excellent job serving us. He is such a funny character. We all spent time visiting at the bar. We met people from our city, met others who were having their wedding and honeymoon here. Awe….. We did watch the wedding. The Reef at Coco Bay did a great job. (Katina does the weddings)
Time for the sports bar. Bauldero was so happy to see us and to meet our family that came with us… This bar closes at 2:00 am. This bar is around the corner from the upstairs restaurants. It has a pool table and TV’s. You can take your drink out on the balcony and look out to the ocean. Great view!!!!

The beach is great. The grandkids had a great time building sand castles and swimming. They even snorkeled.

On our last day Jorge made us a special drink. He put a strawberry and kiwi on the top and he taped flowers around the glass. What a sweet guy.
Is the bar next door noisy? Some nights Yes. Is it the resorts fault? NO. Not sure what they could do about it, maybe build a wall between.. Bring ear plugs.
Is there boats in the ocean in front of the resort? Yes. They add character to the resort.

Some say it needs work or a facelift…. Maybe they could update some rooms, TV’s. But I am on vacation and I don’t spend that much time in my room. It adds charm. Some people just complain about the small stuff!!!!
The bottom line is this is not 5 stars but then again I didn’t pay for a 5 star. You will think its 5 star with the service that you receive.

Our granddaughters tell us that they hope they can go back to Coco Bay and see the friends they made at the resort.
Will we go again? We sure will. Hoping to bring more of our family to our home away from home.
See you in a couple months “Grand Coco Bay”, now the Reef at Coco Bay.
We miss the place already!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank captaincmr

Dear captaincmr,

It is nice to hear that you had such a nice stay with us and enjoyed our staff’s attentions as well as our activities and food.

We are always looking for improvements and your comments are really valuable for us. We are happy to inform you that we are preparing a facelift in the hotel’s rooms and some other areas.

As you said, it is not a 5 star Luxury Resort, but we are also not presenting the hotel like one and neither charging a 5 star rate.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family once again for a great vacation at The Reef Coco Beach.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We visited The Reef on a day trip from Carnival Cruise. It has been by far the best excursion by far. Everyone at the hotel was very accommodating and the beaches were very clean. I would love to go back to stay a few days!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank lweaves

Dear Iweaves,

It is nice to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you and your family once again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We arrived 8/11/13 Sunday with 2 kids age 11 and 4 stayed for 10 days, We are 33 yrs old. The check in was very quick and our room was ready. Room was very clean and had no bad smell. The resort is very clean. When I read the reviews I was hesitant to stay at this resort but I’m glad I gave it a try. Don’t expect a 5 start luxury resort because you are not going to get the whole fancy shanzy here but you will enjoy your stay if your expectations are not of a 5 star resort.

The food is good, one thing for sure you won’t go hungry. If you expect high end food again you are staying at the wrong resort. The Mexican restaurant was really good. We got tired of the buffet food because we stayed at the resort for 10 days so we ate outside the resort on a couple of night, plus it’s nice to eat authentic Mexican food. The snack bar is awesome and it’s open till 2am and food is great.

Every Monday the resort has a dinner show and it’s beautiful, my favorite show was the Maya, wow the food was delicious and the show was outstanding! Every day they have entertainment for the guests at 8:30pm.

The beach is nice and clean and they have security, yes the boats are right in front of the resort, if that really bothers you just walk a couple of feet and you won’t have them in front of you obstructing your view.

THE MUSIC! Yes the club from next door is definitely annoying! Our room was 2246 right next to the club. It’s not really the music that bothered us but the base of the music, I am one who sleeps with the tv on because It rocks me to sleep, so I thought the music from the club was not going to be an issue. Boy was I wrong, it was SO loud and again the base is very annoying, we got lucky though because it must have been the last day of the season or something because only the Sunday we arrived was the club open, and we stayed for 10 weekends and the club was never open after that.

Pillows: Worst pillows ever super fluffy we would wake up with sore necks. If you like fluffy pillows that make you sleeps upwards you will be find if not bring your own pillows.

Bed: Hard as a rock but I still slept like a baby, it must have been the drinks and the sun.

FYI: Please tip! I see so many people that do not tip and yet are so demanding! One dollar makes a difference people don’t be cheap!!!!
Staff is very nice…

5th Ave is very close by; the location of the resort is a bonus.

overall the resort is a great deal for the price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Famtravelers4
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Famtravelers4,

It is nice to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. We appreciate you emphasize in your comments the deal for the price. As you say, it is not a 5 star Luxury Resort, but we are also not presenting the hotel like one and neither charging a 5 star rate.

On your next visit we recommend you to try our Italian restaurant a la carte and our Marina’s activities non motorized and motorized activities.

We are really sorry to hear you experienced some inconveniences during your stay and we would like to express our most sincere apology for this. Management team is working to find a solution for the beach club next door.

We are investing right now in pillows and little by little we are changing them. We would like to recommend our guests that if they have uncomfortable pillows to let the Guest Services/ Front Desk know, so we can change them.

As you kindly mentioned, our resort is located just a few steps from 5th Avenue, a short 15 minutes walk. This way all of our guests can enjoy the shopping area and nightlife

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at this resort for two weeks and were not disappointed! Our checkin was quick and our room was clean and bed was comfortable. We got our king bed as requested. There wasn't a coffee maker in our room when we arrived but just asked the front desk and had it within the hour. Anything we needed we just asked and we got it promptly.Our room was on the main level facing the pool(all rooms do actually) with a balcony. Bathroom has a tub and shower with hot water There is a mini fridge stocked with beer pop and water daily if you want more just ask the water boy. Just outside of our room is a water cooler with purified water so if you needed extra water its readily available. There is an electronic safe in the room which cost about $20US which is worth it to us. We loved the size cause you walked out the resort and everything is right there-a few steps to the pool, beach,snack bar, buffet and disco. So if you were at the pool and forgot something you could easily go back to your room to get it so good for those with mobility issues. We were very satisfied with the food at the buffet and they had a very good variety with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. The snack bar at the pool made to order sandwiches,fries, ribs, wings and pizzas with soft icecream. They had shows nightly we just went to the mexican show and if you needed to find out what activities they had going on at the resort the schedule posted on a stand by the door to the pool. If you wanted to use a kayak or snorkel gear you just walked out towards the beach and the resources were to the left. They had pool activities every day with dance lessons and volleyball and yoga. We really had fun at the pool bar cause they have a menu of drinks-no watering them down either-you can always ask for grande ron!!We really made use of the bikes they had cause its free. All you do is go to the entertainment desk and ask and they will get you to sign it out and give you a lock. They are one speed california cruisers with the brake on the pedal.You have to ride them on 10th Ave which has a designated bike path and make your way to 5th Ave. You are not allowed to ride on 5th ave so we just found a pole on 5th and locked up our bikes and walked around then rode our bikes back. Its very safe to ride around town. We booked our excursions at the excursion desk.The ala' carte you have a choice between mexican and italian and we loved that you didn't have to make reservations! We went to the Italian 2x loved it best! If you want specific wine you need to pay extra.We bought a bottle of white Zinfandel for $13.99 which we usually pay at home. The boats are always in the front of the resort but walk a few feet down the beach you can find some big waves to play in. There are NO VENDERS on the beach to bug you they are all on 5th ave. One downfall at this resort is no free WIFI -which I needed to keep in touch with the kids back home so I wish the hotel would change this! There is a computer in the lobby to use for a fee!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beach120

Dear beach120,

It is nice to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. We appreciate you emphasize in your comments the great value the hotel offers. We are glad to know you enjoyed our food’s variety and our different shows & activities.

As you kindly mentioned we are located near the 5th avenue, just a 10 minutes’ walk. It is right that the safe has an extra charge, but is just 2 usd per day.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

my husband and I arrived on Sunday and stayed until Thursday morning.

first, the negatives because there are some. the place desperately needs
attention or it will be closing very soon. just things like sweeping the
hallways. I never saw anyone sweep on our floor and it showed it.

No alarm clock in room or hairdryer. these are pretty basic.

the mixed drinks are horrible. the bartenders at the pool bar are rude
and tipping doesn't make a bit of difference. not once did we see anyone
else tipping. we tipped nearly every drink, the one bartender would not
even wait on me and this place was not busy. very disgusted.

however, there is also a lot of good here. some of the people, Karla,
Brenda, Ziola, Omar, Juan, Miguel, Teresa, Hilda and Wilberth make
this place. what an outstanding group of people. Fantastic service from all
of them along with the entire crew at the Miramar buffet.

Kudos to the chefs. we have stayed at many places much more expensive,
DREAMS, Iberostar, Occidental resort and have never had such good food.

you are in Mexico, not the United States, appreciate that this is a small
resort and they can't offer as many choices as the larger resorts. this
restaurant is very clean.

our room was adorable, but showed signs of age, the patio was very dingy
and uninviting. the room was very clean, bed was ok, plenty of towels
and lots of hot water for showers.

a little sprucing up and attention to detail, this place could be awesome.

the beach is so nice.

all in all, for the price paid, I consider it to have been a good value. no,
it's not the Ritz, but nor is the price tag. It is a very affordable place
that is nice for couples wanting rest and relaxation or families with
young children. The pool was very clean.

Security was available and visible constantly.

if you are traveling on a shoestring budget, I would recommend.

We felt in spite of the poor drinks, all else was pretty ok.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stevann0817
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear stevann0817,

We are happy to inform you that we are preparing already for some nice renovations, including a facelift in the rooms and some other areas in the hotel.

We appreciate you emphasize in your comments the great value the hotel offers like the quality of our food.

We look forward to welcoming you once again at The Reef Coco Beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!