“Great value in a small resort”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #105 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Broomfield, Colorado
“Great value in a small resort”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had a very nice time at this smaller resort with a beautiful location in Playa del Carmen. The food was very good and the rooms are adequate. It is not first class, but it is a great value. The staff were friendly and the rooms were kept clean. The pool is very nice. The spa is excellent - Heri is an amazing masseur. Many of the wait staff were excellent. Overall, our family truly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Coco Bay.

2 Thank Sam T
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Sam t,

It will be our pleasure to welcome you one more time at grand coco bay, do not forget to contact us for your future visit in order to recieve the special repetitive guest amenities.

Best regards from mexico.
The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place has a long way to go for improvement. Arrived and there was no one to help with the bags. Was checked into a room that smelt like paint, had most lighting, the tv nor the fan not working. THe mini-fridge was also empty. Asked for a room change and they couldn't do it until the next day. Wasn't compensated for this night. Next day went to reception after a call that there will be a room change. The lady than asked me to go check the other room to see if it was cleaned? Like they couldn't ask the maid? In the mean time three Spanish ladies were being served by the bell boy with champagne on arrival and not having to carry their own bags. Made check-in and what was to follow even more bitter. Went to the room and it was fine. Had to go back down and be checked into this room. Baggage was supposably meant to be brought up but communication between reception and the bell boy did not happen. I had to go back down to get my bags. All-inclusive does not include wifi? a safe (which you have to pay $3/day, never payed for a safe in my life, drinks are houselables and the snack bar needs to change its menu as the 5 nights I was there, beef ribs where non-existant. Staff are mostly despondent and need some training in customer service. My first night I attempted to ask the reception about possible nice places to go out for a drink and he allowed himself to be disrupted twice by other patron's request who would walk up yell out and get their response. He answered the phone three times and engaged in conversation with his colleague yelling from the other room, I regretted bothering asking. Another staff member the following day actually spoke to me with sun-glasses on at the reception when I asked a question. There were considerable friendly staff at the restaurant and the snack bar though. Never tried the Italian or Mexican restaurant as they seemed to pre-book the place for people which I found unfair as there was no chance for us to get a table since day one. The hotel had an entertaining room which provided shows with dinner, so saw a Michael Jackson tribute show which was amusing and on New years they had a great set-up with a Mayan show. The beach was nice but you have security with automatic rifles walking by, not very relaxing. There was also limited space to sit down at the beach. The features are aged as mentioned by others here. The balcony could do with a clean, had bird poo all over it. At the pool, had a guy come over snapping photos of us with parrotts persisting it was free while we tried to avoid it, only for the photo developers wanting 25US for the three photos. Saw nicer looking places down the road which were also closer to the lively part of the strip. Paradissus? was one I'll look at but won't stay at this place again next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Markabraham_
Estimated Mark,

Thanks for all your comments our guest opinion is the most important for us, always.

Regards the management.
Bedford
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I booked this resort through Funjet vacations,we traveled Jan. 13 through Jan 27, 2013. Funjet rated it 4 stars. This was not true at all. We have been to Cancun , Playa Del Carmen area at least 26 times. We know the area well and know most of the resorts. We trusted Funjets rating system, it was a BIG mistake. The review of Grand coco bay was misleading and not true. It was false. This resort is very rundown, outdated. The food here is not good at all,no variety, very limited buffet. most of the resorts take pride in what they serve, not here. It is like they are afraid you will eat too much, same with the drinks. We ate at the alacarte the first night. The entree tasted like a fozen dinner they had barely heated, honestly.

I found out from a funjet representative that the resort does not want to hire a good head chef because they don't want to spend the money . They are very stingy at this resort from soap to drinks and especially food.

The beach is a joke for this area, small with the marina right in front. The smell of fuel in the air.

Next door is a disco that had the loudest music I have ever heard . The walls at the resort were actually shaking. Very nerve racking. This music went on all day into the night. You could hear it in the beach.

We transferred out to another resort asap. Funjet charged us $1570.00 for this.

FUNJET IS NOT GOOD AT TIMES. THEY WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU IF YOU TRUST THEIR RATING SYSTEM. THEY WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE RESORTS. THEY WILL GOUGE YOU.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Larry G
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Larry,

The hotel grand coco bay apreciate all your observations, our guest opinion will be the most important source of information always.

Regards from mexico.

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at Grand Coco Bay from January 19th to 26th, 2013. I have to admit that after reading the reviews of this resort on Trip Advisor, I was expecting much worse, but it wasn't too bad at all. I really liked the resort and the food, but my husband did not care for the buffet at all. FIRST THE POSITIVES: Friendliest and hardest-working staff of any resort of I've ever been to. These people go out of their way to help the vacationers have a good time. Upon our arrival we were promptly greeted by Victor and David with flutes of champagne and moist cloths for our foreheads. We never felt the need to upgrade to anything more than we already had. There was no waiting to checkin, and even though we arrived two hours early, we got our room promptly. Our room was near the lobby bar on the main floor. No trouble with noise. Hotel is very clean and maid service (Teresa) does a great job. Nightly shows are mostly dancers, but they are very good and worth seeing. Don't miss the nightly shows. One night they had a Mexican-themed night with the buffet in the show area. Supper, dance show, and a pinata for the kids all in one area -- very nice and my grandson quite enjoyed it. Reservations were not required for the Italian and Mexican a-la-cartes. These restaurants are very elegant so give each of them a try. Candlelight dining! We went to the disco the night of my birthday. Drinks were plenty and there was karaoke singing. It was not crowed at all. One day at lunch time they had a barbecue on the beach -- VERY good! The snack bar has very good chicken wings, too. The ocean is VERY swimmable and we all felt safe swimming in it. There were activites every day: Chess, aquacise, pool volleyball, beach volleyball, ping pong, etc. Beach volleyball was my favourite. NOW THE NEGATIVES: The swimming pool was ice cold and the jacuzzis were cool at best. It was hard to sit at the swimup bar in water that cold. Most guests swam in the ocean because it was way warmer than the pool. Our bed was rock hard and a double bed so not much room. The strangest thing about the beds in my room is that they each had sheets and no top blankets! I asked the front desk for a blanket and then I saved it each day in the closet so it didn't get scooped away by the maid. My daughter's room had blankets on their beds. Thanks to Trip Advisor, I was aware of there being no alarm clocks in the rooms so I brought along my travel alam clock so we'd be up on time for our tour. This is truly the first resort I've ever been to that did not have an alarm clock in the room. I found variety in the buffet, but I am not a fussy eater. I loved their spaghetti and roast beef (different nights). They have a variety of cheeses at every meal. I tried what I thought was cheesecake for dessert, but I think it was a mousse of some sort. My husband thought the roast beef was undercooked, he said he found a hair in his food at breakfast (must of been a fluke because all the staff were wearing hairnets) and he and another tourist both claimed the bread at breakfast was moldy two days in a row. I didn't have any bread at breakfast so I can't say from personal experience. SUGGESTIONS: Safe to walk to and from 5th Avenue. There is an internet cafe and cash machine four blocks from the resort heading toward 5th Avenue. The internet cafe is only 30 pesos for an hour. I found this place on our second last day and wish I'd known about it sooner in the week. Bring an umbrella -- it poured rain one day we were there. SUMMARY: This is a three-star resort and if you pay a decent price for it you won't be disappointed. This would be a great place to go for first-timers to Mexico.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManagementGCB, Propietario at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Chandra,

All our staff thanks your nice review at tripadvisor, please come back soon it will be a pleasure to welcome you any time!

Manteno, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Grand Coco Bay gave us the impression of a resort starting to show age. Positives and negatives below..... many have already been mentioned by others. We stayed January 23 - January 30, 2013. We booked an ocean front view and paid premium dollars. What we had was ocean view but it was above a shack-like building which blocked our view somewhat of the beach. The wind would hit on the shack and something kept banging making it noisy. We were also close to the disco and one particular night couldn't sleep due to loud music.

There is so much security at the beach and at the resort entrance/exit, one has to wonder what's up with that? Although I was glad to have them.

It was great being close to 5th Avenue which is a MUST to go to when you are there. Watch out for the scams though and vendors. Be street smart.

Positives:

1. The people who work at Coco Bay are wonderful.....always greeting guests with smiles and 'Hola's' ready to help in any way they could. You can tell they are hard-working and gracious.
2. The ala carte Italian and Mexican restaurants were great. Good food, gourmet style and quiet, candle-lit dinners. You don't have to make reservations but they can only accommodate a small amount of people since they are smaller and more intimate dining. We usually went at 6:30 pm and had no problem being seated.
3. Layout and size of the facility was excellent. We enjoy smaller resorts and this one was great.
4. We went through Funjet to book the trip and Juan Carlos the Lomas (tours and transportation for Funjet) at the resort was EXCELLENT at serving our needs. He suggested tours to us with NO pressure and gave us his honest opinion of the tours.
5. Room was clean
6. Pool area was beautiful but pool was chilly
7. There were a few activities offered by the pool during the day.
8. They had a show most nights but we didn't attend so cannot give opinion
9. Buffet staff were great. Quick to turn over the tables for new diners and accommodating. Everyone had a smile.
10. Consierge (spelling?) people were great. Quick to flag a taxi for us
11. Resort is located close to 5th avenue but we didn't feel comfortable walking so we paid $5 USD for a taxi. It was worth it in our opinion.
12. White sand beach and clear water was beautiful, although beach was small (see below)

Negatives:
1. If you need something while you are there, go to the front desk and stay there until they physically GIVE it to you. We were promised several times something would be brought to our room but never was. A phone call at least would have been nice, but didn't get any. I needed hair conditioner (the one in our room ran out) but never showed up, although front desk promised it in 5-10 minutes.
2. Rooms are in need of attention. Old furniture with drawers that don't work for example. Rooms are however clean. The resort just needs an facelift in general.
3. Buffet is just so-so. Most of the food was pretty tasteless. The desserts were pretty but tasted blah. So many of the desserts were custard-type which had no flavor. Even their 'cheesecake' was really like custard.
4. Ice cream machine at the snack bar was broken and no hope for fixing. You couldn't get any ice cream at the resort. The only place we found it was in the Italian ala carte restaurant where one dessert offered was a neopolitan ice cream cake. We pigged out on that.
5. You have to pay $16 extra a day for WIFI which is absurd.
6. You have to pay $3/day to use the safe in your room.....ridiculous since we were already paying premium for an ocean front room. You have your passports along...you need the safe.
7. Beach was small, probably due to past hurricanes or something.
8. Bed was extremely hard and pillows were also hard.
9. Air Conditioner made all kinds of rattles and bangs. We didn't use it over night.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean front room, please do not choose 2301 which we had. It was closer to the disco...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Barb094
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear barb094,

All the grand coco bay staff thank you for your review at tripadvisor, we work in all your comments.

Best regards.
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed January 31, 2013

A friend and I spent the second week of our recent vacation at the Grand Coco Bay. She would definitely go back there again -- I was not quite as happy.
First the positives:
On the whole the staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the resort. Any housekeeping issues were addressed within minutes.
The Coco Bay is older, but the outdoor areas are well maintained and there was always someone cleaning something or working in the gardens. We liked that it is a small resort and we had only a short walk from our room to the beach, pools or to any of the restaurants. Had a lovely view of the ocean from our balcony.
We were a bit concerned about the proximity of our room to the bar next door, but it really wasn't an issue and the music didn't keep us awake. Some noise from the adjacent suite, mainly because there was a connecting door. Beds were extremely firm but not uncomfortable and the pillows were good. Lovely bright decor in the room and there was a door to the bathroom, which seems to be lacking in some of the newer resorts.
Had no problem getting into the a la carte restaurants and found the food and the service very good there. I was not excited by the buffet, where service was also erratic depending on what time you were there. Good breakfasts though!
Great beach for walking, we could have walked for at least an hour in each direction. 35 minute walk to the ferry terminal in Playa del Carmen. Sadly many beaches along the Riviera have been eroded over the past years and it could be narrow in places, depending on the tide.
A short walk to 5th Avenue and we would usually walk in in the late afternoon and take a $5 cab ride back. The area around the resort is full of construction projects and two women would not have felt comfortable walking there after dark.
The negatives: No free WiFi, I had to pay $16 for 24 hours one rainy day. Weekly rate was slightly cheaper. No beach bar service to speak of. Three bars in total, but the pool bar didn't open until 11am, which could lead to line-ups at the buffet bar. Lobby bar usually only open in the evenings. Didn't like the mixed drinks or the beer at all, however the wines in the restaurants were quite nice.
Limited space to sit on the beach. Nice new yellow chaises by the pools, but the older ones on the beach were all booked by 8am and we found ourselves carrying chaises from the pool to the beach where it ended up being almost elbow to elbow on a couple of hot days. Pool area was less appealing due to the loud music that boomed all day.
All in all we had a pleasant week and I'd recommend this resort to some, but not all, of my friends.

Room Tip: Bar with music on the south side, so rooms on the north side should be quieter at night. Rooms near...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank happyretiree095
Dear Hapy095,

All our guest reviews are important for us, thank you for your observtions.

The management
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2013

First of all, I would like to preface this review by saying I have never felt the need to write a review on any vacation hotel/resort/cruise that I have taken. But in the case of the Grand Coco Bay resort, I would be remiss if I did not warn future vacationers.

I made reservations for my vacation in July of 2012 for a trip in early January of 2013. Being that my wife and I have two children (both of which still require a crib), we asked for a few, very simple requests. Now...keep in mind...we made these requests in July when the reservation was made. These simple requests were made through email, so we had everything in writing.

1. Please have 2 cribs in the room.
2. Please put us on the ground level with easy access to the pool (we didn't want to have to use stairs/elevator every time we wanted to go to the pool/restaurants)
3. If there is a nightclub, please try to put us as far away from the nightclub as possible

My wife called a week before we left, just to make sure these simple requests have been made. She tried calling the toll-free number on their website for 3 straight days until someone finally picked up the phone. She did, however, make sure these 3 requests were met.

When checking in, not one of these requests were met. They had us on the 2nd floor, without cribs, next to the club. After speaking to the manager, he was unable to meet our accomodations until the following day due to 'room availability'. Mind you...we made these reservations and requests 7 months ago in writing!

Omar was the person at the front desk originally 'helping' us, and after speaking with him about their mistakes and showing him the emails between my wife and the coordinator, he became very rude.

After finally finding a new room for us, it was the 'only ground room available' directly across from the night club. "The club stops at 10pm" they said at the front desk. False...music didn't stop until midnight.

A few other things we were dissapointed with -- the maids only came 2 out of 5 days to clean the room, we were told we didn't need to make reservations for thier 2 sit-down restaurants (the website says they're required) and when we went to eat at the restaurant there was an hour wait!

A few things that we were happy with -- Victor, the bellboy, was fantastic. He spoke clear English, always had a smile on his face, and was able to answer any questions we had about local tourist attractions. Claudia, the on-site babysitter, was fantastic with the kids. Well worth the $$.

I would absolutely not recommend this resort to anyone....

3 Thank Shawn H
Dear Shawn,

Thanks for your review at tripadvisor, all our guest comments are very important for us.

Best regards
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!