“Thank You Coco Bay for the wonderful vacation.”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #102 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Yes, this resort is perfect for us. It is a small resort and we like that.
We are first greeted by Manual, the bell hop. This was our first time meeting this young man. He is so cute.
The front desk workers are excellent!! Alfonso and Zoila are friendly and so helpful. They are always smiling.
Check- in is always smooth and fast.

Manual is standing by to take our luggage to the room. He will tell you about the resort show you the remote and answer any other questions you might have. Any time you need help be sure to ask anybody at the front desk or the bell hops. Victor is the other bell hop and he is a funny and very helpful guy. Ask him anything and he will take the time to answer.

There is no need to walk a mile to get a drink. The swim up bar and the buffet are very close to each other. Luis was at the pool bar, Jorge at the buffet and Baudelio was in the lobby bar. These guys bust their butts all day and still manage to have fun with you. They all take the time to make sure you are having a good time.
All the bartenders are GREAT!!

There are two specialty restaurants, Mexican and Italian that require men to wear pants and close toed shoes. The food at both restaurants is very good. Reservations for the specialty restaurant can be made at the buffet in the morning.
Please, try either one or both. The food is DELISH!!! The service is beyond 5 stars.
The service provided by Samuel, Francisco and Bernardo was excellent service.

The Buffet is your typical buffet. There are many, many different dishes to choose from. You name it and it was there. I would like to see some sugar free or low calorie syrup and desserts. You will not go hungry. If you do I would say that you are way too picky….
The nice thing about this entertainment staff is that they don’t nag you to join in the activities. Some resorts they nag to no end. In the evenings after dinner the entertainment staff would provide a nightly show. My favorite was the Mexican show with all its color, dance and music.

If you have the opportunity, rent one of the beach beds. The cool ocean breeze and the shade provided by the hanging curtains make a splendid way to spend the day on the beach. We had one of the most relaxing days of our stay.

All the staff at Grand Coco Bay is very hard workers. If you feel they deserve a tip, then please leave a few bucks. They really do appreciate the little extra.
We have stayed at some 5 star resorts and didn’t feel as welcome as we did here. Now if you are looking for turn down service, or chocolates left on your pillows then you might look into a higher priced resort BUT for the price we pay, Coco Bay tops the 5 stars we have stayed at.

Coco Bay and their staff have won our hearts!!
We will be back soon..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank captaincmr
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Captaincmr ,

The Grand Coco Bay staff thanks you for the coments about your recent stay in the property, remember thet it will be our please to welcome you and your family any time, please receive all our greetings from Mexico!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were priviledged to stay at this resort from September 22nd to Setember 30th. After several of the bad reviews from this hotel, I've got to say,, were we in the same resort??? My room was a poolside room bottom floor. It was cleaned everyday, the pool was beautiful, the beach was also. I do not understand why people can be so fussy when they really are in paradise. My husband and son n law caught some white tuna and the restaurant prepared it for us. I tipped him prior to preparing it and he not only made one fabulous dish but prepared it two ways. The hosts of the buffet restaurants were wonderful and always very accomodating. Do not forget to request dinner on the beach for about 105.00 per couple but it includes choice of lobster, filet mignon, or surf and turf. It includes your own private waiter. I love this area and have been down to it 8 or 9 times, but I can say this is my favorite resort so far. Bravo to all the hard working staff that take pride in there jobs, you truly made all of our vacations a very relaxing memorable experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Linda R
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Linda R,

All the GCB staff thanks you because of your review, it has been a pleasure to serve you and your family, please contact us in your next visit to Grand Coco Bay, in order to send you special amenities "repetitive guest" in your arrival day. Once again tank you for visit us.

The Management!!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in this hotel from 5 September till 21 September. The hotel is great, the staff is very nice and speaks good English. There was a very good animation team, especially Greta. Every day she give us yoga and aerobic lessons. She also played domino and djenga with us, we miss her very much. She makes our holiday unforgettable.

Irma en sylvia

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank catlove02
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Catlove02,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent family vacation at Grand Coco Bay.

We can assure you that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Grand Coco Bay.

Kind regards
The Management

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in the hotel from 22 September until 06 October. This was our first trip to Mexico. In general we were very happy with the hotel and staff. We had a very nice room with a great view at the pool. Also a great kingsize bed!! The room was cleaned every day, we got fresh towels almost every day, new soap & shampoo. All the staff was very friendly and helpfull. The food was great, all the theme nights were awesome. The breakfast was amazing, there is a cook who makes an omelette for you with the vegetables you want. Every meal there is a cook who makes something special, like beef,fish,pasta,paella,... You get a personal waiter at your table, they come by very often to ask if you want drinks or water, if everything is ok, our personal favourite was Antonio, he is a great guy, brought us amazing cocktails. The food at the poolbar was great aswell, everything is made fresh. Pizza's,hotdogs,hamburgers,chicken wings.,... also the drinks at the bar, a lot of choice for an all in, almost every possible cocktail you want, they make it for you. The speciality restaurants are very good aswell. You get a salade,soup,main dish and dessert, everything you want for drinks, great service. The pool is cleaned every day. I must admit that I saw every day someone clean or work, the garden,the pool,cleaning,... The hotel is very close to the beach, if you step out the restaurant you got the beach 2meters next to it. The beach at the hotel is not very big, so I guess in high season it would be very crowded, but at the moment we were there it was perfect, we always had a spot next to the pool or at the beach. The hotel animation was great aswell, they asked us every day if we wanted to play bingo, waterpolo, other games, and if you are not intrested they don't keep asking. So in general we had a great stay, great hotel, great staff, thank you grand coco bay!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gino_VG

Dear Gino_VG

Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, as a destination for your vacation.

We work every day with the commitment to provide a quality service to all of our guests. It is a joy to hear that we achieve our constant goal in your recent visit at our property.

Again thank you for letting us know that you had an excellent stay at our Resort.

Please do not forget that it will be a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Coco Bay.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for about 4 nights. This was the end of our 13 days during trip trough Mexico. We got totally relaxed here. It has everything you want. Staff is very nice and speaks good english. Says hello to you and shows an interest in you where you come from and what you do. The hotel looks very nice and clean. So do the rooms. They are big and well kept. The view from my balcony wasn't that great, because the palmtrees where in the way.
The pool is big, but not very deep. There are 3 jacuzzi's besides te pool. And when you walk 3 meters more you are at a beautiful white beach.
Food in the restaurants (main restaurant, pool restaurant, italian and mexican) is very good.
Drinks are great! Don't let them put soda in your cocktails, it tasts not good!
The only bad thing I think about this hotel is that every midday a person comes to the pool with an exotic animal: snake, toucan, baby lion, monkey. You can go on a picture with these animals. All very cute, I know, it is very tempting. But it just doesn't feel right. I would say don't go on a picture with these animals, so they would stop doing it. Just for the animals stess level.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kaat88
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear kaat88,

We apreciate all your coments, remember to come back soon as a repetitive guest at grand coco bay.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you one more time.

Best regards.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am a great believer that you get what you pay for & we got a bargain. This was what I expected a 3-4 star resort to be. Rooms, clean, everthing worked, housekeeping excellent. The service was excellent, did not feel that we had to tip. Always got a smile. But again, we smiled, said "Please & Thank you" & cleaned up after ouselves. As always, there were guests that treated the workers like "the help". The food was as good or better then other 4 star that we visited, specialty restaurants were 5 star. Loved the beach. Sorry, I thought the boats were interesting. We used the left part of the beach, water was clean, waves gentle. Met a great couple, Linda & Brian from CA. If you are reading this, sorry we did not get together your last night.
Also, the entertainment was some of the best I have seen. The dancers were as professional as any cruise show. We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank cath102
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Cath 102,,

Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, as a destination for your vacation.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

First off, do believe the other negative reviews about this hotel, they are all true. Some people cannot be pleased but when it comes to the Grand Coco Bay the negative reviews are entirely true.

ROOMS:
First room at check in was in the lower level facing a workshop tent. The TV buttons didn't work and were falling inside the TV and the remote didn't work. The light lamp next to the bed fell off the wall when I tried to turn it on. The bed had springs popping out of the mattress and the it smelt like mold!!! I thought someone was playing a joke on me or something. I immediately requested a different room and was moved in the same night.

The second room was on the second level. The door joining two rooms was unlocked. The AC made a horrific sound and the ceiling fan looked like it's about to fall of the ceiling so it cannot be used. The bathroom is a whole other story. The tub has not been cleaned in a long! long! time, and there was mold all along the tiles. The bathroom sink was damaged and had holes in it. I forgot to mention the "dresser"!!! Which is a collection of drawers from many other dressers that do not fit together! You can't close all the draws, one must remain popped out!!! The television is at least 10 years old with very limited selection. The mattresses was hard as a rock and again springs were popping out. They gave me a room with two double bed and both beds were hard as a rock. Finally, I am not sure how the room could have been cleaned after the last guests since during my second night I was covered in insect bites. Yep the rooms have ants. I asked for the room to be sprayed by one of the cleaning staff and it was still not enough. I talked to the lobby desk person and he laughed when I told him I was covered in ant bites. I had to take a spray can from the cleaning lady's cart to spray the room again myself.

PHONE:
Using the telephone for local calling is a crime at 9 pesos/minute which is close to 75 cents/min. Receiving message or phone calls is also next to impossible. I tried booking a trip with a local travel agent and the travel agent could not get connected to my room at all. I later on dropped by her office to see why she didn't call me back she said she was always put on hold or connected to a room that rang endlessly. So if you are staying there expect that no one can reach you. To me that was a huge problem since it affected my plans while I was there.

INTERNET:
Excellent Wi-Fi coverage throughout the hotel but at $15 USD/day it should be criminal. Most hotels offer free Wi-Fi in the main lobby but not at the grand.

FOOD:
As for the food, they really tried but it was a complete disappointment almost every night. Border line disgusting some nights! The best nights were the local food, Mexican night. Avoid Italian and Chinese nights! Just go eat outside its better than being disappointed! The deserts and the nightly shows were really good, so I highly recommend them.

SERVICE STAFF:
Service staff are very much over worked and underpaid so tip well if you want a pleasant stay, otherwise you will get a lousy service.
HINT: the staff expect tips. If you don't tip for a couple of days they will treat you like crap. Major attitude!!! I was bit by ants during my first few nights there and the AC flooded my room several times and the so I stopped tipping. I figured the money that was going for tips in the second week already went to the pharmacy to treat the ant bites!!!
This upset the staff, so during my last day my hot water was cut off intentionally, the TV cable was disconnected and best of all the peep hole in my room was removed! The same applies for the restaurant staff. Forget to tip for a couple of days or carry no change in your pocket and welcome to attitude and no service!! And I mean NO service! Expect during your last day to receive Zero service during your meals. I mean zero not even a glass of water. You are no longer a source of income so the waiters don't even bother with you.

THE BEACH:
As per the other reviews yes there is a lot of boats docked in front of the beach. So yes swimming right in front of the hotel can be dangerous especially since some of the boats come directly to the beach to pickup and drop off. So once you hear a boat or a jet ski be careful because they zip right by your head. Also I hope you don't mind swimming in diesel fuel since all the boats spill a little and also refuel right there.
As for snorkeling, you will have to swim really far, past the boats, to reach the "reef". As a person that have been diving for years it is not a safe distance for a person to swim out that far away from the beach. If you think you will find any life anywhere near the beach area, then you are highly mistaken. There are remnants of a dead reef that is all.

DIVE SHOP:
I utilized the local dive shop attached to the resort and I must say EXCELLENT SERVICE AND STAFF. Great dive masters, Iian good job man, and dive boats. Highly recommend them.

ENVIRONMENT AND NOISE:
I went to this hotel during low season expecting peach and quiet. It looks like they drop their prices during that time to the point that the hotel becomes occupied by many local families and very few couples. So if you like having 100 kids running around and screaming their heads off during your vacation, on the beach, in the pool and not minding swimming in kid's urine and spilled drink cups and plastic food plates, then this is the place for you otherwise go somewhere else.

If you are looking for luxury, or even better than average, then this is not the place for you but if you are looking for an all inclusive place to stay on the beach where you can just eat and sleep ONLY, then yes this is the bottom dollar of this category. The only thing that saved this trip for me is that I managed to spend a couple of nights in Cozumel and did some amazing scuba diving and trips. Diving Mexico was very good.

As for this hotel, it is at best 2 star and I would not return to it again!
I took pictures of the room and the hotel so judge for yourself.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay in this place, choose to stay at the top floor on the side away from the re...