“Grand Coco Bay is like CHEERS where they all learn your name…”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #102 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Grand Coco Bay is like CHEERS where they all learn your name…
We stayed at the Grand Coco Bay in December for our wedding anniversary. Coco Bay is a small resort, the swimming pool, restaurants and beach is right outside your bedroom door. The mood of the resort is slow and relaxing. Every one of the resort staff are so very friendly, they are all so willing to stop and talk, always asking if there is anything they can do for you today. We have stayed at larger 5 stars resorts where the staff is so busy tending to the large number of guests that they do not have time to stop and say hola. We were able to become good friends with almost every one of the resort staff we talked to, which is why staying at this resort is so special. It is like visiting with a family member.
The bell hops, Alermo or Victor are the first persons to greet us as we get out of the airport transfer.
They always greet with a warm welcome, smile and handshake. They unload the baggage and direct us to the lobby to check in. As we get to the check in desk we are greeted by Alfonso and Zoila who attend to us the minute we approach the desk. Check in process is fast and straightforward. We are given room keys, towel keys, AI bracelet and the opportunity to rent the in room safe. Alfonso was able to switch our room from the third floor down to the ground floor without any hesitation. During check in we are handed a moist towel and a glass of champagne.

With check in complete, we meet Alermo at our room as he delivered our baggage, and gives us a tour of our room explains how to use the room safe, verifies the TV remote is operational and explains how frequently the soda and beer is restocked in our room refrigerator. Our room was very clean and we had no problem sleeping.

The buffet has a wonderful breakfast; I especially enjoy the omelet and waffle station.
Our waitress, “Gabriella surprised us during lunch on the day of our anniversary by bringing us a cake with the words happy anniversary on it. Adelmira was very efficient with the coffee pot so early in the morning.
At lunch we always started with a salad. Then onto what the cook was fixing. Was so delicious.

Every night they have a different theme which gives variety. Bernardo was our waiter on most evenings; he was always running and with a smile on his face.
One night I was not feeling well, stomach ache, chills, (dang flu in Mexico) and the captain asked if they could make me some chicken soup. I thought that was so thoughtful. But then again, that is what this resort is like. (I had yogurt & it did the job).
Now let’s be real… Yes, at times it is the same kind of food. They have what 20 different dishes. Not sure about you but at my house I DO NOT serve that kind of variety. So change it up….
The only bad food I had there was one time the beans were a bit salty for me. The next morning they were back normal.

All the buffet staff is extremely nice and efficient. I wish I could name them all.

There are two specialty restaurants, Mexican and Italian that require men to wear pants and close toed shoes. The food at both restaurants is very good. Reservations for the specialty restaurant can be made at the buffet in the morning.
Please, try either one or both. The food is DELISH!!! The service is beyond 5 stars.
We enjoyed the service provided by Samuel & Francisco in the Italian restaurant. After dinner Francisco would bring me a cup of coffee and Wassel cream liquor which was very good.

The snack bar is out by the swimming pool. It is open during the afternoon and late at night and serves pizza, hamburgers nachos and other yummy snacks.

Pool Bar…  well delish drinks, not short on alcohol, service with a smile, and they are busy but what pool bar is not, right….
These guys work very hard 6 days a week so it never hurts to leave some pesos to show your thanks.

Luis at the buffet can make a great variety of drinks, just ask, he can do it. There is also a bar in the lobby and a sports bar. Well shoot, you will get great service at all the bars and restaurants.

The beach has been losing ground for a while. We were in Playa last year and the beach was huge. So in a year’s time it has lost so much ground. This makes me so sad but not sure how that would be any resorts fault.

The beach with white sand and turquoise water is beautiful. The cool breeze coming off the ocean kept the temperature comfortable. The U shape of the resort facing the ocean allows the cool breeze to blow over the swimming pool and lounge chairs having a similar cooling effect. If it got too hot we would jump into the pool or into the ocean to cool off. We spent a lot of time lounging at both the beach and pool with a cold beverage. On one afternoon of lounging on the beach I had discovered I did not have my camera. Earlier on I had taken a stroll on the beach and was taking pictures. I placed the camera in my pocket and it apparently fell out. I walked up to the main lobby and found Alermo and asked if they had a lost and found and if a camera had been found. He immediately phoned the resort security, at that time there was no report of a camera. I did not think I would ever see that camera again. Later on in the afternoon we were lounging near the pool and Alermo comes up to me and tells me that the beach security guard had found my camera, which was amazing! I was so surprised.

Since I had my camera back I was able to take more pictures while taking walks on the beach. The location of GCB is close enough to allow you to walk down the beach to 5th Avenue to shop. We would stop on our walk at a beach club and have a cold beverage and some ceviche.

The entertainment staff at the resort provides various activities throughout the day; I enjoyed playing beach volley ball. The nice thing about this entertainment staff is that they don’t nag you to join in the activities. Some resorts they nag to no end. In the evenings after dinner the entertainment staff would provide a nightly show. My favorite was the Mexican show with all its color, dance and music.

If you are looking for a warm charming place to spend your vacation, I highly recommend staying at GCB.
We will be staying there on our next vacation to Playa Del Carmen.

Grand Coco Bay staff goes above and beyond their duties; they take the extra step to make your stay better.
I will be returning many more times. I look forward to bringing my grandchildren here one day.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms are easy to access while top floors have great views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank captaincmr
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Dear Captaincmr,
Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, one more time as a destination for your vacation.
We work every day with the commitment to provide a quality service to all of our guests. It is a joy to hear that we achieve our constant goal in your recent visit at our property.
Again thank you for letting us know that you had an excellent stay at GCB

Please do not forget that it will be a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Coco Bay.

The Management.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,228)

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We really had a good time...enjoyed all the staff...especially Veronica and Fabiola at the Dining area...also the entertainment staff David, Carlos, Lesley and the other girls that work with them that I don't remember the names...

The only bad note is the fact that the hotel only gives 9 pesos to the Canadian dollar while it is easy to find up to 13 pesos on 5fth avenue...

7  Thank Pierh8653

Dear Pierh 8653,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent family vacation at Grand Coco Bay.
We can assure you that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.
We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Grand Coco Bay.

Kind regards, the Management.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I went to GCB last year and overall, had a good experience. Food was not fantastic however, I'm a bit picky - my dad had no problems filling up. We did have terrible service at the a la carte restaurants and the food (mexican and italian) was really not worth it. Service in the buffet was great, and I found the staff young and very enthusiastic at all times. Probably my biggest complaint, as I came to mayan for the beach/ocean, was the size of our beach. It was very small and I was out of my room every morning by 8am to ensure I had a lounger on the beach. Also, I think our area on the water was a place to doc boats...so at all times, I could smell boat gas and would have to swim on the far sides of the water to go our further. Nightly entertainment was good on a couple nights, but there were 2-3 nights where it was terrible. Seemed like they had a cancellation and had to scramble to get staff to do some comedy routines. Our room and bathroom were large and clean (no bugs!). Location - really close to shopping and as long as you stay on lighted streets, very safe.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are hunting for a bargain/clean/nothing fancy. However, when I go back, I'll go for a resort w/ a bigger beach and a better food.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: I had ground floor facing the pool - nice and quiet and away from the noisy lounge.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank C M
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Dear CM,

I would like to thank you for taking time to write your comments about your stay with us. All of our client’s comments and concerns are very important to us being the best source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We do apologize for not have been able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Grand Coco Bay.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Great service, good food, clean rooms, easy walking to 5th avenue. If you want a beach lounge it is a good idea to put your beach towel out early to reserve it. Several bars (good thing) as this seems to be the big attraction at all inclusives. I am glad TV in my room is not important as they hand you a remote with your room key, but I think they are either not universal remotes or not for the TV in your room, whatever? The hotel overbooked for a wedding party, so we were offered (all expenses paid) to go over to Sandos Playacar 5* for a couple of days, WOW, what a difference!. We enjoyed that hotel and would have preferred to stay there, if the price was reasonable, I mean close to what we paid. My only observation at either hotel, is the maintenance people are so under-qualified to make the simplest of repairs. They need to hire professional tradesmen to rectify the mistakes made by their so called maintenance persons.

Room Tip: ask for a king size bed, this will give you a good room, the beach views are reserved for the black...
3  Thank WhiteRockDan
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Dear White Rock Dan ,

I would like to thank you for taking time to write your comments about your recent stay with us. All of our client’s comments and concerns are very important to us being the best source of information to improve our services and facilities.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Grand Coco Bay.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

We really enjoyed our week, the resort was very beautiful. The grounds were imaculate and the all the staff were terrific.
We loved walking the beach and enjoyed the short walk into town. People their were very freindly and polite.
It wasn't a large scale resort, which meant that it wasn't over crowed which was a real plus.
The only negative thing I can say is that I wish the vegetables and fruits were rinsed with bottled water. We new better than to eat the lettice or anything that may have been rinsed in water all week. Unfortunatly I made the mistake of having lettice on a burger the last day there and have paid for it for the last 4 days. The resort should take better care to protect the guests from having issues.

6  Thank mark2023

Dear Mark 2023,
We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor. All our staff is happy to know that you had a good vacation at Grand Coco bay , it is our constant goal to satisfy all of our clients expectations.

Also your observations are very important, please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Coco Bay.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

GCB is a smaller all- inclusive resort with lots of services. We stayed at the third floor in a standard room. Both the room and bathroom was big. Warm water in the shower and the room was excellent cleaned every day. The small problems we had with the room were fixed in an hour e.g. a broken lamp. The biggest disappointment was none hammock at the balcony.

The pool was big and cleaned every morning. The beach and ocean was beautiful, white sand, turquoise water and not too big waves. There were lots of boats but it didn’t bother us either to view or swimming because they were further out in the sea. The hotel had plenty of sunbeds but if you want to have a place near the ocean you have to get up really early in the morning.

The food was generally good, everything was very fresh and different themes each day. You could always find something that was to your satisfaction. We also ate at the a la carte restaurants and can recommend them both. But the best thing was the snack bar. Lots of different choices and what we ate was very tasty. The drinks were ok. The alcohol might have been watered down but the drinks were included in the all-inclusive so you could just drink more of them.

All the staff were very polite and nice. We never saw any Time Share people and the team that organized activities were funny and not pushy. If we didn’t want to join we just said a politely no.

It took about 10 minutes to walk to the shopping street on 5 Avenue. In the evening it could be a little dark to walk but we felt safe all the time. To the bus station, collectivos, and Wallmart it took about 20-30 minutes to walk. The collectivos was a really good alternative for transportation. Just make sure that the driver knows where you are getting off.

Bring lots of small value in dollar or pesos, as you will be tipping a lot. It may also be useful to know a few Spanish phrases because the Mexicans don’t speak much English.

From the airport in Cancun we took the Ado bus for 120 pesos. It took about 1 hour and from the bus station in PDC we took a taxi for 50 pesos to the hotel. A taxi to the airport from the hotel in PDC will cost 45 dollar.

Xel-Ha-Cool park with lots of activities. Be there early as the time goes very quickly. We booked our swim with the dolphins on the same day we were there.

Chichen itza- very impressive. We booked a tour with the Orange company for 47 $. That included bus trip, entrance fee, lunch and a swim in a cenote. The tour is a full day tour.

We who travelled are around 30 and not so fussy either with the hotels we stay at or the food we eat. We were very happy with our stay at GCB. But if you are picky with everything you should try to find perfection at the more expensive 5 stars hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank triss77

Dear Triss77,

Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, as a destination for your vacation.
Again thank you for letting us know that you had an excellent stay at our Resort.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

We have been to many all-inclusive resorts over the years but, this one was different. Everyone and I mean - everyone- was nice to us. Very friendly and ready to please. This is the first resort where I felt I wanted to tip everyone. Very small resort - which turned out to be quite fun. Upon arrival they greeted us with a warm washcloth to freshen our face - told us to go grab something to eat and come back to check in. No line or wait to check in.

The activity staff was nice and involved with everyone. They got to know people by name or nickname and greeted us each day. They were a good group of young adults. This is the first resort where I felt that my teenagers would be safe staying up and involved with the activities. The only all night happinin' place was the bar. Our room was above the lobby bar - loud at night but, the view was great.

For families this was a perfect place. They even had a kids, camp on the side with a tent that looked like lots of fun - I saw kids walking back with their crafts and they were happy campers.

We enjoyed our lazy days on the beach - and there were plenty of chairs! The only thing we didn't like about the beach was that there were a lot of boats so many anchored in front of the resort that it ruined the ocean view. But, next door was a vacant property with no boats and a good beach.

They brought in shows that were great - the Mexican - Mayan culture - show great. Then a Las Vegas type show. They were dinner shows so you ate dinner in the theater area. Fun!
The two reservation restaurants were great many different things to try.

They also served up scoops of ice cream at the snack bar

We would like to go back.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms would be awesome but, expensive. If you pay the extra it may noisy over the b...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank beachmama58
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

Dear Beachmama58,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Grand Coco Bay. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities, even more we are happy to know that we exceed your expectations, being this one our constant goal.

We look forward to your return visit, and again thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay.

Kind regards,