“You will Love this Resort-Timeshare is low key now.....7/13/07”

Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort
Ranked #73 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I just had to write this and clear the air and all the bad press this wonderful resort has taken for some time. We booked room 341 through the owner directly, he is not a timeshare, he owns his two condos. What a great guy David is and the rate was fantastic!! After reading all the bad reviews because of the timeshare people I was very nervous as to what we would expect but I must be honest and say everyone here was great!!!
David arranged all our transfers and the ride to the resort was quick and efficient thru Sunrise. The check in smooth, Piero at the front desk helped us for anything we needed our whole 8 days at Fishermans.
The Penthouse condo was gorgeous and the views from both levels was so beautiful, every morning and night. Karen at concierge aka Timeshare Rep gave us much needed info the first day and NEVER forced the timeshare sell on us.
The resort itself is intimate and relaxing, most of the staff especially the Famous Luis were nice and pleasant to be around. The pool refreshing, the beach so turquoise the water, so what about the sand bags, they are slowly rebuilding their property, and its a work of nature with man's helping hand.
We shopped for groceries at Walmart, Liquer too--if you can believe, had many lunches at the resort, drinks were good, not too creative though, just basic pina coladas etc.
Enjoyed having breakfast on our TWO balconies, cocktails at sunset and dinner every night except one along 5th Avenue.
Spent a day at Cozumel, rented a car, got stuck is a huge rainstorm at Coconuts and had a blast there---you have to visit and see their "family photo albums"--you will die!!!
Fisherman's condos is a great location to shops, restaurants, the ferry--perfect...so great we rebooked for December the minute we got back.
Now to tell the truth about the timeshares--- are there sellers and buyers there--sure, everyone looking was also taking all the free trips, and massages and dinners. If this is how you need your vacation to be, and you want those things no charge then you will be dragged along for many hours--we saw it. But only one "No Thank you" and we were never bothered again for 8 days --amazing, the way this works--NOTHING remember is really for free.
So book this little slice of peaceful heaven if you can, relax, make friends, spend time with your loved ones and truly take a vacation in paradise...........

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank jamaicajc

Reviewed July 23, 2007

I stay at the fishermen resort from July8-14th. We booked it through RCI because of a time share my mother gave me. So we were required to do the meal plan. We checked in a day late and we not charged for that day on our meal plan.
The meals I thought we good almost everyday. The breakfast had a wide variety of fresh fruits, bread, made your own omelets, pancakes, and more. But it was the same thing everyday. The buffet for dinner was different everynight, so we ate there everynight but one. It was good. I usually could find at least something I liked. But it was also fun to try some new types of food. We went to the a la carte one night and it was very good but it's the same food everynight and not very many choices. But i was glad we went one night because it was good food.
The room was very big. I went with a total of 8 people, (4 couples). The description of the room we booked said two double beds in one of the rooms and it wasn't. The front desk fixed it though after talking with them for a while. And we ended up getting a single room for free so we all had somewhere to sleep!
The lobby bar was awesome. The night bartender knew us after day one and made our drinks for us stronger if we wanted him to. He made suggestions on good drinks too! The drinks were not watered down at all. The bar closed 10:30 and we didn't like to go to bed that early so we would get extra drinks close to closing time and they never cared that we did that. The swim up bar was nice but service was a little slower there.
The pool was great and the beach was nice. There are still sand bags there but there are places to swim in the ocean or you can go about two blocks down to their beach club.
They have entertainment guys that did activities most days. The girls enjoyed the cooking classes, espeically since we got to eat the food afterwards. They played sports on the beach and even did salsa lessons. Not really any activities for kids but we didn't have any kids with us. In fact, there we very few kids in the whole resort.
Overall we all had a great time. It was very very relaxing and a great week. We usually stayed at the hotel most of the time because we tried not to spend lots of money. Everything we had a problem with they fixed which wasn't much. The staff knew you after a day or two. The small resort made it quicker to get service or get around.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
13  Thank Traveler100705
Reviewed July 10, 2007

There were some minor problems during my stay at Sunset Fishermen but overall my husband and I had a good time!

We were there on our honeymoon! The room was very comfortable and spacious! The resort has good facilities! We had a 2 bedroom just for the 2 of us!

Food was good, we ate at the main buffet restaurant most of the time! They had a good assortment for breakfast, loved the plantains! A mix of local and american style breakfast! Only pancakes though, no french toast or waffles! They served almost the same hting every day though! Most of our dinners were at the main restaurants! We tried the A la carte once for dinner, it was nice, but limited menu! They also had limited items for breakfast!

I didnt like the drinks at all, they kept making me nauseous after just one so I couldnt even take another one... So i ended up drinking wine!

One pair of pants went missing and they couldnt figure out where it went and didnt try too much to resolve it either.

We tried the Spa for a massage but right after I left my legs started getting itchy and when i got back to the room there were some red bumps over my legs... I'm not sure if something bit me there or it was an allergic reaction but I took an antihistamine tablet which helped it overnight...

Everything else was good! Playa has alot of nice bars to check out!

If they tried to sort out my pants problem I would have rated it much higher, but I did enjoy myself since it was my honeymoon!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ADM12
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed at this resort 6/16-6/23 as a timeshare exchange through RCI. We booked our transfers through the option available on the resort's website which was much cheaper than any other I found. We arrived at 7pm and there wasn't anyone else going there so they put us in a private car. Would have been great except the driver only used the fan. It was so humid that the windows were fogging up. Even though he was a 'sunset' driver he didn't have a clue how to get to our hotel once in Playa. That was the only setback other than the timeshare sharks.

We had a 2 bedroom unit for only 3 people. The unit was HUGE, probably 1600sf and very nice. We were on the ground floor and had a patio off the living room and one off the master bedroom (which had a jacuzzi on the patio). The patio doors were double wide so had a great view inside even of the ocean. The cleaning people were probably in our room each day for 1-2 hours as there was so much space to clean. We had 2 bathrooms in our part and our daughter had a bathroom in hers so 3 full baths. Also had a full kitchen with all the amenities and a dining room.

Housekeepers came in at night and picked up as well as turning down our beds. There are only 65 units here but it's amazing how many staff members there are. They work so hard and were probably the nicest people out of anywhere we have ever stayed. Even the night security guard always spoke, had a big smile, and a wave for us. He came up to me on our last night and said such nice things to me and asked if we'd be back next year. We did leave a tip each day for the maid along with a little gift. We also left something for the waiters
but I never saw anyone else do it. I sat and watched the gardener trimming the grass around the restaurant with hand clippers. He had a bucket he'd pick the grass up and put it in there so there were no remnants. He worked so hard and it was so hot. I went over and gave him $5 which was all I had on me at the time and he was so shocked. I figured that the gardeners probably never got anything since they aren't on the 'front line'.

Everyone raved about the spa so we tried it out. I've had a lot of massages and wasn't real impressed with the one I had. Their prices are really high so get recommendations from other guests before you book. I was told there are a couple people that are very good there. The massage tables are set up on the covered patio of the spa. It was
so relaxing hearing the ocean waves during the massage as you are really close to the water.

This resort isn't for anyone looking for a lot of action. It is very low key and laid back. There is an entertainment staff but they don't
have a lot of organized activities. If you're wanting a nice hotel right on the beach where you can relax and unwind then it's a great place. Being so small we got to know a lot of the other guests and recognized them off resort.

Being an rci exchange you are required to take the meal plan. The buffet wasn't bad at all and usually there were some really good choices. You can also eat at the ala carte restaurant. This is a 5 course meal and takes a good two hours to sit through it all. It was good but we aren't the type to drag out dinner all evening. You do need to make reservations for this restaurant ahead of time.

The houses in this gated community are really nice. No one gets in without going through the security gate which was great for keeping the peddlers off the beach. In fact, I never saw one the whole week. The taxi's have to stay at the entrance to the community so they call
down for one when you need it, no hassles from the cabbies wanting to
take you somewhere either.

We had a wonderfully relaxing week. Only went in to town to catch the
collectivos (this is such a cheap way to travel) when we went to Xel Ha (buy your tickets online ahead of time as it's much cheaper) and Akumal.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank Krim
Reviewed May 8, 2007

We stayed at the Sunset Fishermen and Spa Resort on April 21st to the 28th. Our stay was awesome! The resort is small compared to others (65 units), but is beautiful. It was clean and the service we received was the best! It's within walking distance to the town of Playa Del Carmen so you can avoid the cabs. Don't miss dinner at Carlos and Charlie's! Tell Manuel (our favorite) the bartender "hello"!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank smartin2704
Reviewed April 21, 2007

We stay at Fisherman's every year, (my parents are timeshare owners), and it's always a fantastic time. This is the only resort in Playa where the beach is right outside your windows. The staff is fantastic, the food is great, and the proximity to downtown Playa del Carmen is very convenient, (apprx. 10 mins walk). The resort is located in a gated community with beautiful streets and private homes. The property is well maintained and definitely worth visiting.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Chikster11
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Wow, I don't know where to start. We, myself, hubby, his mom, his sister and sister's husband, stayed the week of Mar 24-31 and had an amazing time!!
Although we had not been there for a year and a half it was amazing that the staff who are still there remembered us!! For us the small intimate family atmosphere is why we love this resort.
We had a studio but the week before we were in Cancun at the Lagoon and upgraded our ownership, as a result we got to upgrade our room ,someone did not show up, and we got a master suite for no extra charge, much better for the 5 of us to spread out in!!
Javiar in the Italian restaraunt was amazing, ask him for his awesome Mayan coffee after dinner, its so good.
The beach is better than befor Wilma I think, the only thing I miss about the after hurricane reno is the hammocks!!
For a quiet, calm intimate vacation Fisheremen's can't be beat!! I will stress again however that if you want loud, busy and party time, this is not the place for you. It is so close to Fifth ave in Playa del Carmen that you can wonder in anytime for excitement!!
The massages outside with the surf in the background are wonderful!!
We will be booking for next year right away and are counting the days till our return!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family