“Overall Disappointment”

Ranked #85 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Overall Disappointment”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Given room with poor view, room 337. Hot tubs in spa not working. Steam room not working. Pool hot tub not working and was filthy. New chair cushions, but half of the chairs were taken to the new Sunset resort Tres Rios. Shortage of chairs. Sunset Resorts also buses in vacationers from Tres Rios to use the facilities. WiFi did not work in my room and was spotty in the lobby. Not the most comfortable of beds. Air conditioning worked but was very loud. Did not get a hot shower in 14 day. Gave the resort a punch list of 6 items needing repair in my room to fix before next vacationer arrived. Million dollar beach is about washed away. Only thing I found welcoming for a 13 time visitor was Marcheal and Anselmo who work tirelessly for the hotel guests. On checkout claimed I owed them $3300 pesos for spa service we did not use.

Room Tip: Request room on first floor...but good luck with that.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments and your feedback. Our guest' satisfaction is our main concern and we are sorry to learn we were not able to fulfill your expectations and we apologize for that. We are reviewing our standards and procedures in order to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.
We hope you give us the opportunity to be your host again and see by yourself our improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I agree with much of "sharonatoo"'s review. We stayed at the resort from 1/11-18 as a gift from a time share owner. We did not do all inclusive as the restaurant choices looked as though they'd get boring after 3 days; after 2 days of lunch and 1 dinner, we were glad we made that choice. The only time they have a buffet is at breakfast. Thankfully, it was a lovely walk down the beach into town for dinner and shopping.

The most disappointing part of the stay was the pool/beach chair demeanor already mentioned. We wandered out around 9:30 on the mornings we wanted to lounge in the sun, only to find towels, bags, and books spread out all over the chairs and beds already. Many were still unclaimed by 1 or 2 in the afternoon. On our last morning, we were up at 6:30 to "claim" our place, only to find the same disappointment then! I know this is a common resort problem anywhere, but there really should be some rules.

The room was very nice. We had cards to enter, so I assumed we were in the "updated" portion of the resort. Cleaning staff always did a great job, even washing our dishes!

I opted for a pedicure on my last day there, and was very disappointed for the price. For $50, I would have expected a little more than a Conair foot bath. Vicky was very sweet though!

Overall, for the price, I think this place is a great deal being that close to town.

MD
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I wish I could give 3 and half stars. This place was better than average, but perhaps not really VERY good. The beach and water were lovely and was well maintained. The reviewers that said you have to get up early to reserve chairs were accurate. Lucky for us we are early risers. By 6:30 am we were able to score beach chairs and I noticed most of the pool chairs were already claimed. There did seem to be enough spots to lay/sit down if you included the beds and little sofas. But true, there should have been more chairs. The chairs supplied were in good shape, they must have done some updating.

We did not buy the meal plan, as we were told the meals were just fair and the restaurants were much better. The only food I sampled was for lunch, tuna sandwiches and burgers. They were tasty and someone took our order from the beach and served them to us on the beach. That was pretty convenient and quite nice. The staff in general was very friendly. The constant blaring of techno music (apart from the pool aerobics) was quite annoying. Loud and distorted music is a bad combination.

The two bedroom/two bathroom condo we rented was very spacious and nicely appointed, however we rented through a private person and not the actual resort. Our second floor condo had no elevator if that is a requirement, but this was fine for us. The master bath had a second sink/dressing area and this was a real convenience. The biggest complaint was the lack of sound proofing between the third floor condo and our second floor condo. We were able to hear every mattress squeak and footstep from above.

The Playacar area is well maintained and has security stationed at the entrance. This security really was only for cars, as pedestrians could come and go as they pleased without showing a wristband. My wristband fell off after the third day. No one cared. There seems to be some dispute about the length of the walk from Fishermen's to town. Walking through the streets of the property and not along the beach, the walk took between 10-15 minutes and was quite pleasant after a big dinner. Getting a taxi in town would be very easy if you needed one.

Lastly, my biggest and best tip is mostly for women. Much of Playacar is cobblestones. The whole walk into town and most of the main fifth avenue is some sort of brick and mortar street. I saw one woman in tall heels leaning on her partner for support just to walk down the street. Forget the heels, honestly forget the wedges as well. Flip flops were tough too, because you could feel every brick.

The beginning of our vacation was rainy, but still pretty warm with just a little chill at night. When the weather cleared it was warm and breezy at the beach in the 80's, but much warmer in town, because there was no breeze. We vacationed 1/7/2014 - 1/14/2014.

Room Tip: Pick the top floor if you can,then you do not have to hear anyone above you and the view of the ocea...
1 Thank sharonatoo
Glenview IL
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Warning particularly to those who go at Christmas....you must get out by 7:30 to get one of the remaining beach chairs. Otherwise, you will end up with no chairs available out on the beach or at the pool. Talked to management and requested more chairs but to no avail.

Room 336 was incredibly loud with an a/c unit that would not turn off and a really loud fridge. After waking up 5 times, spent the rest of the week sleeping with earplugs.

Wifi connection is better than past years as you can get access in rooms now. Bad news is that you have to log on about 30 times and maybe you can connect. Hotel needs to spend some money to improve this.

Front desk check in as always continues to be painful with front desk unaware of room request, takes forever, and gives the impression they could care less whether you are here.

Pool for two days was so murky could not see your feet at the bottom of 5 feet.

The good news is the beach continues to be nice. You can walk into playa in about 15 min.

Consider xaman ha condos down the way and closer to town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for sharing your experience at Sunset Fishermen. We are sorry to learn we did not fulfill your expectations and we apologize on that. You may rest assured that this feedback enabled us to review procedures in the effort to avoid a reoccurrence and continue providing the excellent service we have become known for.
West Nyack, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just came back from an unusually rainy week here. Just want to acknowledge our wonderful chambermaid Juanita, who kept our room beautifully clean and was an artist with towel sculpture! Her pleasant smile and accommodating manner were much appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section, ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your nice comments, specially on Juanita of our housekeeping department. We are very proud of her and thank you on her behalf.
Come back soon, there will be more shinny days to enjoy.
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Jorge and Ana worked hard at involving people in the activities. They were energetic and fun. They could use some help with better supplies, especially mats for yoga. The towels made it difficult to maintain a position.
The check-in process seemed unorganized this year and did not give a good first impression for the week.
Our week was wonderful as always and it was nice to see some start on the upgrades.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments. It was our pleasure to have you back and to learn you were able to see the improvements we are making.
We are sorry for the inconveniences during your check in and we are reviewing our standards and procedures to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.
Come back soon, remember your home away from home is waiting for you.
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed January 12, 2014

A little effort on the part of management could make this a wonderful resort. We stayed here with another couple, using timeshare owned by a friend. The check-in process was horrific. Upon arrival from the airport, we had to climb two flights of stairs (the elevator was out) to a room where there were many people sitting around tables waiting for a "concierge" to help them. The “concierge” is nothing more than a glorified sales person whose job is to get you to upgrade to Tres Rios by paying the all inclusive fee. We were served beverages and offered a buffet snack while we waited. After an hour with no sight of anyone to check us in, we refused to wait any longer and demanded the keys to our suite. We were directed to the front desk where we were told the room was not ready. This was 4:15 P.M. and check-in time is 4:00. After another 20 minutes we received keys. Upon arriving at the room, it was still being cleaned. The room was on the third floor in an area with no elevator, working or otherwise. We entered the suite and found it to be unacceptable. One of the bedrooms had twin beds. The other was up a flight of stairs without a hand rail. I returned to the front desk and was told I needed to speak with a "concierge". I asked the front desk to call one and have them come to me. I was handed a phone and explained that I wanted a different room. Miguel told me he would take care of it. After another 20 minutes, I asked the desk clerk to call Miguel again. He finally showed up at the front desk and told me the room we were given had queen sized beds. I think I know the difference between twin beds and queen sized beds. I asked for a suite on one level and on the first or second floor because my husband has difficulty with all the stairs. Miguel checked and said a lower level suite was not available. He did find us a two level suite on the third floor with two king sized beds and promised to move us if a one-level first or second floor suite became available during our stay that we could move to. We never heard from his again. One day when the internet was not working, I asked the front desk and was told it had been a problem all day. There was no explanation of what was being done to correct it. Another day when I asked about spotty internet access, I was told it doesn’t work well when it is windy. One rainy day, we went to the pool bar to be somewhat outside. We ordered pina coladas only to be told that they did not have frozen drinks. When I pointed out that I had received frozen drinks from that bar the previous two days, they told me they were not available that day, nor was food. We had to go inside to get what we wanted. On our second evening, when we went out to dinner, we walked through a welcome gathering with free food and drinks. We had not been told about this event. Apparently because we were not willing to wait for the sales pitch upon arrival, we were not given any information about resort activities. Yet another example of their being more focused on selling more timeshare than making sure the guests have a pleasant time. These are only a few of the inefficiencies we encountered during out one week stay. The front desk clerks were especially unhelpful. Sometimes it seemed they could only understand the most rudimentary English. With all that was wrong, one person stood out as an outstanding resource during our stay. Marceal, at the front entrance was wonderful. He knew out names from the first day, understood when our party of four wanted a van instead of a taxi and saw that we got one. He arranged for the resort’s van service to take us into town outside of their scheduled drives to the front entrance. He gave us good recommendations on places to eat. In general, he was extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. If everyone at Fishermen was a good at their jobs as he is, I could give this resort a 5 instead of a 2. My recommendation is, if you can tolerate inefficiencies at every turn, this is a nice resort with a great location. If inefficiencies day after day will drive you crazy (like they do me) find someplace else.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the first or second floor. The two-level rooms are quite inconvenient.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Frequent63Traveler
Dear Guest:
Thank your for your comments. We thank you on behalf of Marciel for your nice comments.
We are sorry to learn your stay was not what you expected and we apologize for that. Our guest satisfaction is our main concern.
The opportunity areas mentioned enable us to review our standards and procedures in order to assure our quality and services.
We are making an action plan in order to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.