“Always a pleasure to visit”

Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort
Ranked #79 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We are owners at the Sunset Lagoon. But we enjoy the quaint atmosphere and superb service that we always receive at Fishermen’s Village. So we tend to spend most of our vacations there. The staff is outstanding. Especially Jonathan, Jose and Angel Chi. They made our vacation a complete success. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jim L
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience at Sunset Fishermen and thank you for your nice comments, specially on our staff which we are very proud of.
It is our pleasure to be your host every time you travel to this your home away from home.

There are newer reviews for Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Spent a week with friends (who own) at Sunset Fisherman and it was Paradise. The resort is small so not "overcrowded" like some of the other big resorts. It's tucked away in a nice quiet exclusive neighborhood. The staff was very helpful and friendly. (Especially, Jonathan and Jose (at the bar)). Had a slight problem with some machinery noise outside my bedroom, but it was fixed immediately (and this was the middle of the night!). It is within walking distance to shops and great resturants.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to read you had a great time with your friends and enjoyed the property to the extent of thinking of us as paradise.
We do hope you will continue to consider us your home away from home and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This trip was great. The ocean was clear and warm. The property was very pleasant. It was clean and the staff could not have been more pleasant.
Karen, the concierge, was very informative about activities. She was there all week to answer any questions and take care of all situations. She was very good.
Jesus, the bartenter, after being taught the drink recipe that one of us liked, always kept them coming. The two activities directors, Luis and David, were always right there trying to get us to do things. Luis gave us a class to use the Hobie Cat. It was a lot of fun. I went out every day after that. Luis came out on a kayak after the Hobie Cat tipped over and helped me get it upright. I was so thankful being a beginner. I might have been out there all day.
It was always a pleasure to go down to breakfast and have the smilling Chef Rigo create an omelet to order.
The waiters Juan and Richardo were always peasant and helpful whether at breakfast , lunch or dinner. They even brought drinks out onto the beach. Juanita, the housekeeper, always did a wonderful job keeping our room organized.

I had heard bad things about the food but did not find the food bad all. In fact I was very pleased. I am somewhat of a foodie. We always had breakfast there. We either had lunch and dinner on different days. I only had one dish all week that was not good. It was a spring vegetable risotto. It tasted good was too dry. It all stuck together.
The property is in a great location. You can walk to town on the beach, about 15 minutes. It is in a very safe area. Four of my sisters came to the same place in April and also loved it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RSchiesher
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience at Sunset Fishermen.
Thank you for your comments on our staff, we do thank you on their behalf. We are glad to read you enjoyed our new gastronomic offer and had time to enjoy our property and activities program.
We invite you to come back and make of Sunset Fishermen your home away from home.
It will be our pleasure to be your host again.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Last year, my wife and I stopped at this lovely little resort, tucked into a very quiet and exclusive neighborhood of homes and rentals, to check it out for a possible future visit.

When we walked into the main lobby, immediately we were taken with how nice and cozy it felt and how friendly the staff were to us, even though we weren't guests, just visitors.

Upon walking through the lobby and out to the main courtyard and pool area, we were smitten! Without even needing to look much further (even though we did, of course!), we knew we would return here and as guests, which we have just done, completing our one week stay there from September 8-15, 2012.

This is a fantastically beautiful resort, quiet as I mentioned but very much still spacious enough to allow one to roam about the property seeing the various sights and decor of the resort.

As comfortable as our studio room was--and we had by far one of the very best rooms possible, being literally 10 feet from the beach outside our doorwall--the absolute keystone to this resort is the very, Very, VERY best beach I've ever been on! It was immaculately clean, all white sand, leading very nicely into the most beautiful blue water possible! We were so happy to have this beach area--and its the same way in either direction along the water--we made sure to use it each and every day of our stay! There are ample canopy beds along with more than enough chaise lounge chairs available to use!

The pool, which is very uniquely shaped, with different sections of different depths, including a nice, long "infinity wall", was always clean, uncrowded and warm--almost too warm for all the 90+ degree days we experienced. But I spent many an hour wading and swimming around to keep cool and hydrated.

The staff was beyond incredibly friendly--everyone, and I truly mean every person working there--had a ready smile, the most pleasant demeanor, and were more than willing to help out with any question or issue and they even knew us by name, from the second day of our stay onward! I was so impressed with how attentive everyone was and the staff, along with the beautiful surroundings, was what made our trip and A+ experience!

In particular, Jose Velazquez--who tended the main bar in the lobby area--was an incredible host for us! We would walk up to the bar and Jose knew already what we wanted! Great guy and I wish every bartender was like him!

Also, Jonathan Rendon provided absolutely superb service to us during one of our dinner evenings there on property.

Which brings me to my very few critiques:

There is truly only one primary restaurant right off of the lobby, but there is also a round-shaped area just off the pool that also doubles as a restaurant area as well. These two locations are rotated for the evening meals.

Along with the one bar that Jose tends off the lobby, there is only one other area, a swim-up bar which can also be walked up to, that serves drinks. I will say that we were a bit disappointed in the lack of truly top-shelf liquor available, however, because the rooms have kitchenette areas, we ended up going to a local supermarket and stocking up on our own supplies which we used throughout the week.

I only used Room Service one time--right after we checked in--to ask for some beers and a carafe of gin & tonic and they only brought four warm beers and the carafe was not of the best quality of drink.

However, these very minor picayune issues aside, we loved it here and we WILL be coming back! We guaranteed this because in conjunction with a sister resort, Hacienda Tres Rios, we bought a 10-year package which will allow us to return and partake of any of the Sunset properties, but we know we will be using all our available weeks at both Tres Rios and at Fishermen, for many years to come!

I wish I could give this a 4.5-star rating, but I could only pick 4 or 5 stars.

If you go here--and if you're not looking for a variety of six bars and seven restaurants--you will absolutely LOVE the Sunset Fishermen Resort & Spa!

Room Tip: If you want THE perfect room, ask for Room 116-B! Its a very nice, spacious-enough studio that is l...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark W

Dear Guest:
It was our pleasure to welcome you once more and are glad to read you enjoyed the property so much and were able to experience our staff's warm hospitality.
We also do thank you for your constructive criticism which we value and you can rest assured we have reviewed it thoroughly in order to improve those areas.
We invite you to come back and see for yourself the improvements we have made since your last visit.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is a great all-inclusive optional resort. Not to large (maybe 50 rooms) but has all the amenities- spa, pool, multiple bars, dining options, water activities, and friendly staff. There is something for every age and the activity directors love working with everyone. My grandmother had Luis give our little group salsa lessons by the pool he was great. The rooms are very clean and come with kitchenettes or full kitchens if you opt out of all-inclusive. Very close to town to walk or take a cab for cheap, and you pass by multiple ruins on the way to town.

Room Tip: all rooms have ocean views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have owed at fishermens since 2004 and have gone 5 times, always going to the same place and staying in the same room. I love seeing the same people and them remembering us. My reason for going is I love the smallness of the place, the location, the security, and the staff. I feel comfortable walking into town after dinner knowing I am safe. This year though I had a snag. I made my reservations and sent three e-mails asking for the room I get when I go. I arranged transportation after our flight. When we arrived, we were shocked to hear that we were booked at a place in Cancun. I have never been to another resort and have to interest in going anywere else. Pablo explained that they were booked, but due to the weather, he might be able to find us something. Although we did not get the room we wanted and had to move once to another room that needed some things ( like a shower head), we were glad that we did not have to go to cancun to a place we had never been. I am not sure how the mix up happened since fishermens is my contract home, and the only place I had been too. Still, we had a great time and loved seeing the staff and feeling welcome like family. The beach is really nice, the water perfect the food was good and the people wonderful. I look forward to going again next year.

Room Tip: The beach view rooms on the lower floor are really nice. We like being able to walk out onto the be...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sherree D

Dear Guest:

It is our pleasure to be your host each time you come down to the Riviera Maya. We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us and really look forward to your next visit.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Paid off 10K on a GOLD-Biennial Even Years contract. Just got hit with another $500+ 5 year quote fee (in addition to yearly maintenance fees). You can NEVER get the weeks you want. Poor customer service 24/7. Crooks! When I called to have them buy back my membership, they were "unable at this time". So, now that I know I have loast over 12K in this place, I need to get out of this contract. Does anyone know how I can do this? I refuse to call this place direct and ask, they will scam me again. Please help!

Room Tip: There is nothing good to say about this place, so I will not say anything at all.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank 17Iwan
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We appreciate all opportunities for improvement.

We strongly suggest that you contact Member Support in order to receive an amicable and beneficial solution to your concerns.

We are confident you will have no problem in resolving these issues since the description you provide our service certainly does not meet our Service and Satisfaction Policies.