Kinbe Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Plaza by Phocea(Playa del Carmen)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Azul(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Siesta Fiesta Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Maya Bric Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Free Internet
Hotel Colibri Beach(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Blue Beach Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Beachfront
Hotel El Punto(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Hotel Hacienda Real del Caribe(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
In Fashion Hotel Boutique(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscute hotelloft roomzenzi beach clubperfect locationplenty of hot waterenjoyed my stayrestaurants and shopslight sleepercleaning staffa king size bedocean viewavefutonquintaminibarmexicohangers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 20, 2010

My wife and I just stayed at Kinbe last night and we were both pretty disappointed with our experience for 2 big reasons.

1. I did not appreciate being nickled-and-dimed: When I booked our room on Kinbe's website they quoted me a price that included tax in USD. I entered all my credit card information online and received a receipt via email for the charge. Upon arriving, however, I learned that entering my credit card information just reserved a room but did not pay for one, and we were asked to pay for the room at that point. That seemed fine to me but this is where Kinbe gets sly and unless you're paying attention you won't even notice. I gave them my credit card to pay for the room and they gave me a total price in pesos since they apparently have to charge my card in pesos (?, whatever - fine). What really pissed me off is that they used an exchange rate that was obviously higher than the day's exchange rate so my credit card bill in USD is actually higher that what was quoted online. Depending on the day's exchange rate, this could be a difference of $2 to $10 USD per day per room. You can pay what they actually quote you online in USD if you have cash, but who wants to carry around hundreds of dollars of cash in Mexico (or anywhere, for that matter) - that's why I booked and paid online! Not cool, Kinbe - you should know better.

2. The room was way overpriced compared to hotels in playa and neighboring areas. For example, my wife and I stayed in two 4-star resorts in Cozumel and Cancun that were cheaper and worlds nicer than our small, modest room at Kinbe. Yes, Kinbe is definitely charming and has character, but for what they're charging compared to other hotels, I'm sorry, I just thought we would get way more.

I would absolutely not recommend this hotel unless they were much more honest and up front about their rates (no nickle-and-diming), and unless they dropped their prices by at least 33%.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HI_via_NYC
Jeeval, General Manager at Kinbe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

All the reservation charges by credit card must be in Mexican pesos at the Kinbé; we apply a daily average exchange rate.
Depending on the country our clients coming from, sometime when their bank convert
the credit card charges in the country currency, could be a difference in the previous quoted bill in USD. Anyway, we're speaking about a little difference, absolutely not 10 USD a night
Stefania Cappelletti

Reviewed February 20, 2010

Kinbe Hotel is small hotel in the middle of Playa del Carmen's tourist area. We arranged for the airport transfer by email with the hotel. The four of us were picked up right outside of the airport by the driver holding a sign with our name. It took less than 40 mins to get to the hotel.

Hotel checkin was quick and the hotel stored our bags because our room was not ready when we checked at 12:30pm. We stayed in a Moody room that was clean and included a king bed with a small table and refrig. The bathroom was small but adequate. This room is basic, no frills rooms for those who do not plan on spending a lot of time in the room.

The desk staff were great and helped us with directions and booking a tour of Chizen itza for $40. They also gave us an extra pillow on request. The beach is less than a block away and the front desk provides towels and a pass to the Wicky beach club. We spend 2 days sitting in the sun, drinking and eating. If you have a crave for a hamburger this is the recommended place (some people gotta have one).

Check out was quick with no problems. This is a great hotel if your looking for just a nice room and no more. There is no lobby area, no hotel bar/restaurant and is not on the beach. BUT with the great location, you can have a variety of fun places to drink a beer, partake in awesome food and shop all day long. We returned to the hotel several times a day to drop off purchases, change clothes or use the bathroom without wasting cab fare.
ME-I travel more than 30 days away from home a year for work and spend a lot of time in hotels and airports around the US.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Two friends and I went to Playa for a getaway from our busy, winter lives. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel, comfortable for the three of us and located close to the beach. We got all three in Kinbe! The location of Kinbe is PERFECT!!! A half a block from the action packed 5th Avenue and a half a block from the beach.

We were a little worried about the three of us fitting into the Junior Suite when we first walked in, but we put the futon up and staked out places for our bags. We could have had more room if we had been willing to carry bags up the circular stairway to the king bed loft. Because of the loft and the peaked roof, the room has more of a vertical feel than horizontal. It was nice to sit on the balcony and look at the ocean while getting ready.

The air worked fine and the king bed was very comfortable. The futon was like a futon. I think maybe it would be better to use a day bed that would actually function as a couch when not in use and be off the floor with a nicer mattress when used as a bed.

We liked the grounds of the hotel and the folks at the front desk were very personable. We liked the beach club that the hotel is affiliated with - Wicky's. We would stay there again. Tomorrow.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We were so pleased with the staff, cleanliness, comfortable beds, and atmosphere that when we come back to Playa del Carmen we will definitely be staying at the Kinbe! We stayed in a Garden Suite that has a large patio that overlooked the avenue to the beach. We loved it!

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We spent 9 days in Playa del Carmen. Kinbe was a great option. The room was comfortable , nice & super clean !!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple