“Loved the Kinbe” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kinbe Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Kinbe Hotel
Ranked #108 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Francisco, California
“Loved the Kinbe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

I saw positive reviews in Expedia and decided to go for this hotel. For the price I paid, I was extremely happy. Room was small but clean, complete with a mini fridge, a plasma TV and full A/C. No bath tub, but the shower had good pressure. Bathroom is pretty funky looking.

The hotel is in good location, less than a block from 5th Avenue and one block away from the beach. Note that if you prefer quiet, this is not the place for you. At night, you can hear bars and clubs having loud music. And there's a construction nearby, which is unavoidable because there appears to be construction everywhere nearby the beach. So there's some construction noise in the morning.

To sum it up, I enjoyed my stay at Kinbe. Good location, friendly staff, ask the front desks for discounts. They will gladly help you.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank cookiebeast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Slovak first
Santiago, Chile
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

During my stay in Kinbe hotel I had an excursion to Chichen Itza, so I asked the reception to wake me up at 6:45, because I had to be in Plaza Antigua to wait for the bus at 7:50.

The next morning I woke up at 7:48 (no one had waken me up) so we dressed extremely quickly and ran to the Plaza. We got there at 8:00 extremely tired and luckily the bus waited for us.

I didn't missed the excursion but I forgot to put the tickets, the bathing suit (to swim in the Xenote), the money (to buy the cheapest art craft in the area and buy food or beverages), and the sun cream, luckily I didn't forget the camera.

Besides that it was very uncomfortable to be the whole day without having taken a bath or washed the teeth.

When we got back to the hotel I asked for the receptionist to talk to the Manager, he told us she was busy at that time (19:00) and that he would call us later.

At 21:00 we walked down, tired of waiting and the receptionist told us, that we could talk to her (why didn't he call us??).

We explained her the situation, and she said that it wasn't that important, because we could go to Chichen Itza anyway, and that there was nothing she could do to solve this problem (she offer as the only possible option to kill the receptionist). That we should relax, and she complained that I threw the keys in the morning to the reception (I was running to get the bus I said) and that the wake up service was not the obligation of the hotel (The hotel says it has the service in internet).

We ask for a discount at least and she reluctanty offer a 10% discount. Then I said that wasn't enough and she told me we were taking advantage of the situation.

We wanted to leave the hotel, but she asked us to pay the night we had slept there and the following night (because it was later than 12:00 pm).

I think the attitude of the administration has been the worst customer experience in my life so I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.
Besides that the rooms are infected with ants, they say it's the tropical weather, but I stayed in other hotels without this problem.
Another problem is that I rented an ocean view room and I could only see a tiny strip of sea between the buildings and construction sited, the manager said that it used to have sea view, but they are still offering as an ocean view in the internet.

Please, don't stay in this hotel, you can find better place for the same money and much better place for a tiny difference (and with breakfast included).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service, rooms, value for money, views, noise, management, etc.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davidstgo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

We arrived a day early at the Kinbe and were lucky they had a free room. This hotel has a room for different budgets, we chose the cheapest option as we weren't expecting to spend much time in the room! You couldn't ask for a better location - a block down to the beach and a block up to the main street where there is no end to restaurants and shops!
Our room was extremely simple and small, but lclean, lovely decor, modern appliances, and quirky tiling in the bathroom. We loved it.
The staff were somewhat anal but helpful and friendly. The pool is nice, not much privacy as there a window through to the street.
The beach down the road was great, overall we had an awesome time, although we did have to get used to how much more expensive everything was in this part of Mexico in comparison to other Central American Countries! As well as the type of tourists.

• Liked — the location, the room
  • Disliked — nothing i can think of
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Kinbe Hotel for a week. We were supposed to stay there for just a couple of days, but liked the place so much that we prolonged our stay. If you're tired of annoying resort hotels, we would recommend this charming little hotel located in the middle of Playa Del Carmen. The young people in the staff speak english and are very helpful and friendly.

The rooms are quite small, but clean and cosy, and the AC works well. The suites are really something else - amazing - so check them out if you want something special.

This hotel is well worth the money - and we will definitely come back.

PS! We'd also recommend the massage studio on the other side of the street of the hotel. The people there will give you a really impressive (and cheap) one hour massage.

Starbucks is just 50 metres up the street, but don't go there for your morning espresso. Instead - walk around the corner of Starbucks and visit the little french/mexican coffee house. They serve the best espresso ever tasted in Playa Del Carmen!

You can see the beach (100 metres) from the entrance of the hotel. Go watch the sunrise early in the morning. Beautiful!

• Liked — Location, clean room, great staff!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

We booked this hotel through lastminute.com as we needed a place booked for our first few days in mexico.

It was ok, but i don't think I would stay here again.

The decor of the hotel grounds is very funky and nice. But our room was very small and smelt of damp. The damp smell was from the aircon..... It was tricky to leave the windows open during the day while the aircon was off to let some fresh air in as the window was right next to the walkway and would have been easy people to climb in. Also there weren't any insect nets over the window so leaving the windows open will let bugs in.

The bed was quite small and not really that comfortable. Not much storage. However, on a positive note the room was relatively clean and also quiet at night.

The shower was pretty nice. The sink was beautiful but a silly shape so that you can't wash or brush you teeth in it very easily - so pointless really!

The staff were a little snooty and not as welcoming as other places I have stayed in Mexico, however when we asked them to call ahead and book us a place in Cozumel they did do this for us.

When we left they tried to charge us for things from the minibar that we had not used, they said they would take them off the bill but once our credit card bill arrived the minibar charges were still on there.

The hotel was in a good location, very short walk to the beach and the main strip.

There is a roof terrace which is nice, would have had lovely views of the ocean.... but there is a big appartment block being built in the way..... the construction of which was very loud at times.

The hotel served its purpose as our base for our first few days in Mexico, but I wouldn't stay here again.... there were lots of of other nice looking places to stay in Playa, including Hotel Lunata, where we also stayed a couple of days later after visiting Cozumel for a few days.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank passi0n4travel
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

My girlfriend & myself stayed for 5 nights in July. We have mixed feelings about the hotel possibly because a tropical storm kept us indoors for 2 days. We have to agree that the location is excellent with both the heart of the bar/restaurant/shopping area and the beach being less than 1 minute walk away.

We booked the 'Garden room' which was supposedly a good quality 2-storey room for USD120 per night. It was a horrendous room with the bed in the loft - it was dark, dirty with old furniture & as far as I can tell, you could not flush toilet paper down the toilet so it would have been nice & smelly too. We immediately upgraded to the best room at USD 180 per night. This room was very nice (clean, reasonably spacious, good a/c and a decent bathroom although shower water pressure was poor). However, for this room rate we were a little disappointed that the hotel did not serve breakfast or have a bar. However, I guess this is not really a big deal since you're in the heart of Playa..

So not a bad hotel at all - excellent for the location but not particularly good value for money (maybe because it is the 'authors choice' in the Lonely Planet..).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of amenities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray_Art
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Our family of four (2 adults/2 kids) just returned from our trip to Playa del Carmen (June 17-24) and I can't say enough good things about our stay at this hotel.

There are two sides of this hotel; a sleek, newer, more modern (and very beautiful) side and a more tropical side with lots of lush plants growing in the courtyard. We stayed in one of the rooms on the tropical side. Our room had two beds, one of which was in a loft. If I had to put a negative on anything, it would be that the stairs up to the loft were very narrow so we had to take care going down them and there was no storage in the loft for clothing. Other than that, the room was comfortable, with good air conditioning and a safe.

The desk staff were the friendliest I think I have ever experienced. We were in and out of the hotel many times during our stay and each person on the desk remembered us and warmly greeted us each time we came through the lobby (which is also very beautiful). Also, each person spoke English and gave us wonderful advice to help us negotiate our way through town during our first few days there.

Hotel is situated one block from the ocean and one block from
the busy, and very fun, 5th Av.

GREAT find.

• Liked — Great Desk staff
  • Disliked — Limited clothing storage; tricky loft staircase
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family