3,531 results
All reviews beach club shuttle bus quiet pool animation team every other day main restaurant main pool mattress topper small resort the mexican restaurant mini bar smaller pool sun loungers tennis courts plenty of sunbeds playacar area other resorts
Selected filters
Reviewed February 25, 2019

Excellent stay at Riu Lupita. The convenience of a smaller hotel is that everything is close by: a theater, a lobby bar, a pool, restaurants, rooms, etc. We really enjoyed our stay at Riu Lupita. RIU employees work very hard to keep the hotel in such a great shape such as washing down walls in the lobby bar each morning amongst other things! The service is outstanding. Food is great and up to a Riu standard. Beach is absolutely beautiful and there is an easy access to Playa del Carmen. We will most likely be back again at Christmas time.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Natalija222
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Lupita, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2019

Dear Natalija222,

Thank you very much for your outstanding review!

There is not better reward than knowing that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It has been a pleasure to host you and we cannot wait to receive you again next Christmas .

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed February 20, 2019

We stayed at the Riu Lupita in December 2018, just before Christmas. We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel considering the we had paid.

The hotel is fairly small compared to some of the hotels in Mexico but we really like that it was set amongst lots of trees & greenery so you feel like you're in the jungle. Its layed out well so everything doesn't feel on top of each other.

The food is amazing (as it generally is in Mexico) and there was so much choice in the main buffet restaurant that we never got bored. There were also Mexican, Italian and Steakhouse specialty restaurants which all also served lovely food - the steakhouse was probably our least favourite just because there wasn't really any atmosphere but the food was still delicious. The Mexican and the Italian both had buffets for starters and then you could order an A La Carte main so make sure you are hungry when you visit these as you certainly come out VERY full!

The hotel isn't located directly on the beach but there is a shuttle bus which runs there every half an hour throughout the day. We didn't mind this at all as it felt like a little day out when we wanted to go the beach. The man driving the bus works hard all day taking people backwards and forwards so we made sure we always gave him a little tip. The bus also stops at 5th avenue which is handy when you want to visit the shops. The hotel has its own beach club directly on the beach which is fabulous and has its own pool and restaurant serving drinks and snacks all through the day.

On a Friday the Riu Tequila has a white party for all of the different Riu hotels in Playacar. The bus takes everyone down and brings you back as well and you can use the all inclusive bar there with your wristband. It is definitely recommended for a change of scenery and it is good fun!

The only reason I gave this hotel a 4* rating instead of a 5 is because we have been to other hotels in Mexico where they have had branded spirits if you tipped or paid a bit extra but they didn't have this here. The cocktails weren't really the greatest either but still drinkable. There were plenty of other drinks on offer so it was no problem but it would have been nice to have had these extras.

Playa del Carmen itself is amazing - we like it better than Cancun! We went down to 5th Avenue most nights where we found lots of bars and rooftop parties or even just went for a walk and got an ice cream. Coco Bongo is definitely worth a visit and so is Xplor.

Would definitely return to this hotel.

Date of stay: December 2018
4  Thank RS1623
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Lupita, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2019

Dear RS1623,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the travel community!

We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful holiday during your stay at our Hotel Riu Lupia! We appreciate all of your positive feedback and kind words towards our products and services! It is always a pleasure when you leave our property being satisfied with every aspect of it!

Nevertheless, we lament that we could not fully meet your taste with our beverage offer; we try to have a wide variety of drinking options to cater every guest's taste. It's a pity it was not your case even though you could enjoy some of them.

We hope to host you once again in one of our worldwide hotels in the future!

Greetings,

Reviewed February 18, 2019

I had stayed in sister hotel Riu Tequila before but this was my first time in Riu Lupita.

Room
Recently renovated, feels new and clean. Fridge stocked with soft drinks and big bottles of water and a liquor bar. We had a ground floor room with a small terrace facing with couple of chairs that faced the back with trees and greenery. We would lounge in the terrace and often coatis (local raccoons), sereques (shy local mammal a bit bigger than cats) and once an iguana would pass by and entertain us. It was very quiet and peaceful.
Room could use more outlets by the nightstands.

Bathroom
Pros: Spacious, new, Good water pressure.
Cons: No toiletries - just shampoo/ soap container fixed to the wall. Mini hair dryer a fixed to the wall. No tub.

Restaurants
Main buffet restaurant isn’t huge but has a good selection of cuisines to accommodate most people. Dishes are not fancy but well executed. I found the Mexican food very good - which was surprisingly not the case at Tequila and another fancy resort in the area. I also liked the Mexican restaurant, but didn't eat at the beachside restaurant.

Beach
It’s far from the resort and there is a shuttle every half hour. The shuttle gets crowded at peak time so you need to be prompt. There were lots of red algae on the beach this year - heard this is a growing issue in this area. There are plenty of lounge chairs by the beach, and next to the hotel beach restaurant.

Grounds
This is not a huge resort. But there are nice trees which gives it a green feel and a lot of coatis and sereques (local mammal a little bigger than cats) live here which I love. Also saw several cats who call it home.

Location
Hotel is in the Playacar area which is a gated area a little ways off the town of Playa del Carmen. You can walk 10 minutes out to a few shops, or take a 100 peso cab to the town. We enjoy the seclusion, but if you want to go to town more often, it's not the most convenient.

Overall - we had a fantastic time here. We relaxed by the pool or by the beach or in our terrace, enjoyed the food, and would come back here.

1  Thank Hazygrey
Reviewed February 18, 2019

I can’t believe how impressed I was with this hotel. If your looking for a small very friendly hotel then this Is THE HOTEL!

Whilst it’s not directly on the beach, who cares, as there is a shuttle bus, runs every 30 mins from 7.30 am, only takes 15 mins to arrive at private beach bar. Food does not start until 10 but you can still get here early and take a swim in the pool or sea.

Now I’m a really fussy eater hence I stuck to the buffet restaurant, I was never disappointed with choices I could have, also, unlike other hotels I have stayed at, the food was actually hot.

The shuttle bus can also drop you by the gates to go into Playa Del Carmen 5th Avenue, you come out near the ferry. I just loved the ambience of walking smiling at all the shop keepers trying to get you to come into their shop.

The beach was beautiful, you didn’t need water shoes, although there is still a bit of seaweed but they are always clearing it up.

I found all the staff extremely helpful from cleaners, reception, bar and restaurant staff.
Whilst the room did not have a kettle I brought my own so was able to make myself a drink on waking up. The bed was really comfortable, in fact the whole room was great, if I had to say anything bad then I would say the ac was a little noisy so I used to switch it off at night and just have ceiling fan going.

As you can tell I really loved this hotel so much so I am returning at end of May.

Room tip: High floor
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
5  Thank lucky1127
Reviewed February 18, 2019

First time to this hotel and we were not disappointed, the holiday was made brilliant by the staff all of whom are hard working with great personalities. The approachable manager can be seen each day checking all areas and any issues are swiftly dealt with.
Our room was spotless, in a quiet location but not far from the restaurant and activities.
The restaurant for all meals had a variety of food to suit all tastes and snacks are available at all times.
An efficient bus service runs every 1/2 hour to the beach and stops at 5th avenue for the shops.
We spent most of our time at the quiet pool but this is only a very short walk from the pool bar and main facilities.
Would we go again? Yes with out a doubt.

2  Thank BarryGail

Dear BarryGail,

Thank you so much for your nice words, we are glad to hear that you had such a good time!

For us, it has been a pleasure to take care of you and we cannot wait to receive you again in a near occasion.

With our best wishes we remain,