“Nice”

Ranked #80 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Tyumen, Russia
“Nice”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

The biggest plus of this hotel is staff. So friendly and helpful. Very good atmosphere, good food and beach. It wasn't trouble for me to go to the beach by the bus, it takes only 10 minutes. Between the hotel and the beach there is one stop - Playa del Carmen (there you can take a ferry to Cozumel). I think it is also a plus if you don't want to spend all you vacations on a beach (only crazy people can do this in a such interesting place as Mexico). The hotel is very quite and good value for its money (may be it isn't a 5 star but good 4 star hotel).

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Elena A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014

So this place is well priced and exceptional value. Don't dismiss it because I only gave it 3.5*s. Three stars is "average" remember.

All those comparison criteria travelers use to rate cam sometimes get confused so here's my ratings:

- if 5* gets you ON the beach - this has to be 3* -as it is not on beach BUT it has a reliable, regularly scheduled FREE shuttle to their BEACH CLUB that is pleasant, clean, and well located with hot snack bar, alcohol, chairs, pool, beach volleyball and a fresh water swimming pool.

- if 5* gets you a 1000 count sheets and bathrobes and big fancy balconies with ocean views - this has to be 3* because rooms are basic, no spectacular view, rooms are a bit sparse BUT VERY VERY clean and LARGE. Bathroom is small but water pressure is good, no lack of water at all and no lack of hot water. AC works great (although a little noisey in our room). Balcony - meh. Nothing to write home about, so we didn't use it and never missed it. The bed was quite comfortable. Mattress was firm (note firm -- note hard). We had a had a hard mattress on a Princess cruise once that almost ruined the cruise for us as it killed my back.

- if 5*s get you great service - then this deserves 5*s. We had great personable service and they even followed up in person to make sure our request (for additional pillows) was met and resolved to our satisfaction. (Never had that at any 5* I've stayed at).

- if 5* gets you acres and acres of unending campus (which I find a pain to get around quite frankly) then this has to be a 3* - small, intimate, everything is close. There are 3 pools (kids, quiet (adult) and main for activities and close to the bar). There is only one bar and it is centrally located. Bartenders can make almost anything.

- finally if 5* gets you multiple a la carte restaurants - again this has t be a 3* because it only has 2. Having said that I don't go to AI resorts for the food. No matter the class of resort I find the "buffet" style food usually mediocre and repetitive (no the resorts fault - when you feed thousands in a buffet some stuff is bound to mangled and dried out and there are only so many dishes that hold up for hours under a heat lamp!). Similarly there have been few (even 5*) resorts where the a la carte restaurants have been worth writing about. usually they are hit and miss and if the food is the only reason you're going you may be missing out.

Complaint - the only real complaint I have to note is smoking. This resort caters to Europeans. While we were there there a lot of Germans and French Canadians, in particular. Everyone smoked. Although I have no issue with smokers generally, when there is only one bar that does not have dedicated non-smoking areas, it means the non-smokers end up having to leave because no matter which which way the wind blows, you eventually end up literally surrounded by second hand smoke. So we did not enjoy a drink under the stars nearly as much as we would have liked because we kept having to move chairs and eventually just had to leave the bar area when it became too much.

So that's my 2 cents worth. For the money paid and the room, service and amenities we got here, it was well worth it.

Price paid - 1 week - Feb 2014 was $1300.00 Canadian (for two people and that includes all taxes).

Enjoy!

Room Tip: We were in 1922 - second floor. Lousy balcony view, but no noise and equidistant from main pool, buf...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sunsequitur
Liberec, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Very nice quiet hotel with friendly staff we have ever met with great službami.Výborní animators who will spend from morning to evening . The food is very good and plentiful. The beach bar very friendly and helpful waiters and cooks . The rooms are quite adequate and very clean . Beautiful clean beach , plenty of sun loungers . Nice evening programs . I was with a friend at 18 days. Certainly we return. If you read a review by someone with the staff and all Greet / Fany , MELISA , Alexis , etc. .. / a thank you for everything . Irena and Petr Czech Republics / Translated in the compiler , I apologize for any errors. /

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Irena S
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Wonderful small resort in Playa del Carmen. One buffet restaurant, one specialty restaurant, one bar and one snack bar. All centered near reception, the gift stores, and the main pool. I can't walk far or for very long at a time. This resort was perfect for me. They put me in a room just off the central area so I didn't have to walk far to go anywhere. There is a free bus every 30 minutes to their beach area since the resort is not right at the beach. I was too lazy to go, so I can't comment on those facilities. The room was clean and comfortable. I could sit on the lanai and watch the birds and other animals. Everyone that worked there was very nice. I would definitely return. The buffet restaurant changed the menu every evening. I didn't try the specialty restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Linda T
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Please don't be fooled by the so called "good reviews" here like me and my friends were! There is absolutely NOTHING good about this resort..The staff maybe an exception..they were friendly but ONLY at times (that bald man at the reception..he was very rude)! This resort was a waste of our money..and we truly wish that we had just pitched in a little more and stayed in a better resort. The resort was the only bad thing about our entire trip and it's a shame. We know it's a 3 star and we definitely were not expecting 5 star service but come on, a decent meal and a working shower would have been nice...atleast for the price we paid. Not asking for too much.

1.) THEIR FOOD WAS THE WORST. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING AND TASTELESS! We lived off of the desserts and juice only. I just don't understand the good reviews about the food...and I am not at all a picky person when it comes to food.. but guys, believe me..the food at this resort was terrible..everybody at the resort was complaining about it!! We came to Mexico hoping we'd get to taste some real mexican food at the resort but we were seriously disappointed. The Mexican restaurant at the resort is even worse than the buffet..Seems like the buffet just sends their left overs to the that restaurant!

2.) DO NOT TRUST THEIR WATER BOTTLES IN THE MINI FRIDGE! I ended up getting really sick because of the water I drank from those water bottles. My doctor told me that they usually just fill up these water bottles with their ocean water! Not at all safe!!!! I felt cheated!

3.) Our room was alright..probably the only nice part..Very clean!! Although, the shower was a PAIN! It stopped working on us the second day and we told the reception guy about it and they did nothing about it for days.. meanwhile, we had to take baths with little cups. Was a nightmare.

4.) RIU LUPITA..FOR GODSAKE..PLEASE FIX YOUR MAIN SIGN AT THE ENTRY GATE. Only half of it lights up..It's very embarrassing and makes you guys look really CHEAP!

5.) GIRLS, BEWARE OF RUBEN AKA SPIKEY! LOL funny guy. He goes around selling tickets for COCO BONGO to girls...when actually a girl's entry into coco bongo is FREE! Don't fall for his flirting tricks! hahaha

I don't recommend this resort to anyone and will definitely never go back! I've learnt my lesson! Must never stay in a 3 star AGAIN! =)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jessie D
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was my second stay at the RIU Lupita and I must say I was not as impressed as the first time. I read a lot of complaints about the star rating - I thought I could clarify.....the only place that seems to consider this a 5 star resort is the resort it self(their sign out front shows 5 stars). But very website I have checked - considers this a 3 star property. So I was never expecting anything more then 3 stars - I am not sure why when others booked it, they ignored the US/Can star rating?? Anyways it's a solid 3 star property - nothing more.

My Mother and I stayed for a quick weekend trip from Jan 10 - Jan 13, 2014.
This a great location for the budget traveler or the not so picky, but if your wanting the all inclusive feeling, this resort no longer delivers.

Food: Surprisingly good, there was always lots to choose from and everything tasted good. Gourmet this is not, but it satisfies. Roast turkey one night was quite good and the coconut and lime ice cream were a surprise treat.

Room: Comfortable, but getting dated. Fridge was restocked daily and room seemed clean. Air Conditioner did the trick. Bathroom was where is lacked the most, tub was in horrible condition, stained and played temperature roulette with each shower. The toilet was incredibly loud when flushed, and ran forever.

Grounds: Nicely maintained, but nothing special. The nicest views are of the golf course on your way in. Pool was nice enough, but a swim up bar would be a nice addition since this location is not on the beach.

Staff: So so. Some seemed aimed to please while others out right ignored guests. This time was the least amount of tipping I have done. I truly believe in tipping well, but I expect great service regardless - lack of service = lack of tip in my opinion.

Beach Club & Bus: Not so impressed here, the bus was old and hot. If you can afford it, take a cab, then you can come and go on your schedule. If you have any difficulties walking etc. do not take the bus to town, the drop off is quite a distance from 5th ave in comparison to where a taxi will drop you off for 70 pesos.
Beach is nice enough and there is a pool, but the pool is surrounded by sand - so if your not a big fan of sand covered feet the pool is no help. Food was decent.

The things I was disappointed with:
The Wifi - in the past you could use unlimited wifi in the lobby. The new policy seems ridiculous to me - 90 minutes per 24 hours - but there is a catch, it must be used all at once! So if you only check your email etc. for ten minutes, you cannot carry the balance over the next 24 hours. I probably would have only used 90 minutes for the entire trip, but having to wait until after 10pm(which was based on the first time I accessed it) each night to check my email or send a message was a pain.

Part of the reason I booked this resort again was last trip I was able to use the sister resort at the RIU Yucatan - they have since changed the policy and you are no longer allowed to use the pool, beach, sun loungers and buffet at any other RIU property. It was disappointing to say the least.

Back to the bathroom in my room - on my last day just before checking out, I took a shower. However, to my surprise the knob came off in my hand and the amount of pressure spewing everywhere flooded the room! So here I am trying my hardest to get the stupid knob back into the wall, after 5 minutes of trying I had to abandon ship and run outside my room and yell for help. The room was flooded, I was naked wrapped in a towel and screaming for help. What a mess. Staff were quick enough to come and help, but the stress of the entire thing was enough for me. I was very happy to leave.

To sum it up - stay somewhere else if you can afford it - this place has lost a lot of its luster and just seems old and run down. Although it is not terrible by any means - if you disappoint easily or have higher expectations - don't stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank Trishypoo81
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Nice quiet hotel with some of the most friendly staff I have ever met and I have traveled quite extensively. You get treated like you treat people. This is not a five star resort but the staff treat you as family. Some guests feel as if they are not waited on hand and foot it is a slight but everyone is treated equally no one is more special than anyone else. Very refreshing. Food is good and plentiful and although there are not a lot of restaurants there is always something to eat or drink. Rooms are small if you have a family but for one or two they are quite adequate and very clean. Only a short shuttle ride to the beach that leaves on the hour and half hour and returns on the quarter hours. For a relaxing quiet vacation to just relax and unwind a perfect place to come to. Don't expect to be wined and dined and waited on hand and foot and you will truly enjoy this property. No Canadian whiskey but plenty of everything else. Enjoy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#89 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

Been to Hotel Riu Lupita? Share your experiences!