“Cute and Cozy”

Ranked #78 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Oakville, Canada
“Cute and Cozy”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Our family of 4 stayed at this cute and cozy resort over the xmas holidays. (We've been to 4 Riu's because of their unadvertised free children offer with Sunwing - call your agent in September to book. Not available on the internet!) We loved the bunk beds for the kids, although it made the room quite small. A Riu palace this is not, but it's just fine. It's clean and well maintained. The food is fine. There are no a la carte restaurant options like in big resorts. The shows are not what you get at a 4/5 star either, since there are only 50-100 people or less viewing them. Only folks who have never been to Mexico before complain about the musty smell - it's smells the same at the palace! it's the humidity! It's fun to walk to your room along lush jungle paths rather than sterile white corridors like at other huge Riu's (although less fun in the rain, I must admit lol). They chain is remaking itself into modern colours, as they did here with the new dining room (orange and silver) but IMHO you lose some of the cachet of Mexico. This is great value for the Playacar area, because no beach, and although there is better value in PV or other Mexican resort areas, I wanted to return to Riviera Maya for all the activities (see my other reviews) and I am glad I did. The beach club has all you need: amazing beach, lots of chairs in the shade of plentiful palm trees, a small pool, and a restaurant plus bar. IT didn't feel as crowded as neighbouring mega-resorts. Anyhow, these all inclusive vacations are what you make them, don't complain about little things, you are on vacation-enjoy!

8 Thank Luc S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Spent 2 weeks here before Christmas. Hotel was in an upmarket residential area adjacent to a golf course. Room was clean but smelt of damp (understandable coming out of the rainy season?), bathroom door had expanded but after a week could be closed. Service was excellent our faulty fridge was fixed within 5 minutes of reporting it, with a follow up call from reception to check all ok. We could not understand how the room towel system worked as we selldom had the correct number of towels, face cloths were a rarity. Initially there was no shampoo in the bathroom dispenser only liquid soap, water was always hot. Food, drinks & entertainment were all ok, however, limited covered areas when it rained. The bus service to the beach club was convenient running every half hour during the day with an additional stop for Playa del Carmen. Drinks and food at the beach club were ok with sun loungers always available. We enjoyed our stay here as the hotel rooms were scattered in blocks around the grounds and the hotel was smaller than the massive hotels on the beach and would stay here again if we returned to this part of Mexico again. Due to the smaller size staff recognised you, eg. knew your drink orders, were friendly without the need to tip to get service. We would, however, rate the hotel as 3 to 4 star cetainly not 5 star.

3 Thank Joel43_12
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just returned from a week in the Riu Lupita went for Xmas never been to Mexico before.
This is never a 5* as stated it's old, dated and very run down. The rooms especially the bathroom smells awful of the sewers ( rooms very stale & none aired.) Air conditioning is old but does the trick, there is also a large ceiling fan which is very noisy as is the Air/Con unit

The staff only acknowledge you if you are tipping them, once you stop they avoid you. I found this very upsetting. If you are located on the 3rd floor as we were on arrival don't expect porters ( what porters - staff?) to take your cases to your room except if you are on the ground floor, then they may oblige with a tip - as this we found out as you have to climb numerous very slippery wooden steps and with suitcases which is extremely dangerous especially if it has been raining.

The bar is very small for the size of the hotel and when it rains there is not enough room for the guests to sit, and the evening entertainment well if you don't rush your evening meal you won't get a seat, also the water pours through the roof when it rains. The drinks are all cheap local NO BRANDED Drinks and they are not nice tasting. Beer is OK . The bar staff have there favorite guests who tip every time, If you don't tip CONSTANTLY you will be avoided like the plague. Wave notes at them they acknowledge you and are all smiles and polite.

Coatis are everywhere and love to be fed. Be careful if you feed them from your balcony as they climb up.

In my opinion choose another hotel if you must go to Mexico. Don't waste your money. This hotel needs to be knocked down and re-built max 2*

Room Tip: My Tip...stay away from this hotel
6 Thank Shirley K
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

it is not true their advertisement that the resort is 5 star. in fact, from our experience, the resort would qualify for a 3 or 3.5 star.
the resort is old, the bathrooms are scratched, banged up, with old stains, etc.
when it rains, there is no place for socializing or any other activities.
the resort advertisement says that you have 2 days to book with the limited time discount offer. do not believe this as this ad says the same thing all the time.

Room Tip: not in this hotel
2 Thank Teresa I
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have always preferred Riu Resorts as we have always had an amazing time. Lupita is a great buy if you do not mind having to take a bus-ride to the beach. Really, the only thing that is lacking is a gym and a beach-view, but for my wife and I these are deal-killers. I need access to a gym to maintain my cardiac health and my wife finds great relaxation in watching the pounding surf.
Having said that, I highly recommend the Lupita because of their amazing staff. My wife had broken her foot one week prior to our trip so we were extremely limited in what we could do anyway. They were particularly attentive to us, even offering a ground-floor unit, the use of a wheelchair and a late check-out at no charge. Given different circumstances, I would return to Lupita. Dios te bendiga, mi amigos!

Room Tip: This is a small resort composed of many two-floor walk-ups. Very quaint, but if you have issues with...
1 Thank phayden
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel with a family atmosphere, where a lot of Mexicans and South-Americans also go on holiday & you can practise or learn some Spanish; Lupita is the place to be. If on the other hand, you are looking for a pure luxury hotel with big fake-marble receptions, expensive spas and tons of wasted space, you need to go somewhere else. I am currently enjoying my last day in this hotel and I have enjoyed it from day one. The restaurant has a nice variety of buffets with both local and international dishes every day. The staff is friendly and helpful with clearing your tables & refilling up your drinks. The Steakhouse was a bit of a disappointment to us, as we both ordered ribs and mine were perfect but my mom's were so fatty that she couldn't even cut them. Also, you could clearly see that there was no maitre; otherwise those ribs would have never left the kitchen, and the guy I tried to explain the problem to, would have understood me.. At the bar staff is also very nice and they work fast (I never have to wait long for my drinks). The rooms are very spacious. My mom and I booked a double room and we both have a big bed to ourselves. Personally, I don't care that we are on the ground floor, looking at some bushes. Get out of the room is this view bugs you.. ;-) The room is cleaned every day & sheets are also changed on a daily basis. Also, kinda important, there are some bottles of alcohol available in the room (not the cheap kind). At the reception they are so friendly and helpful; everyone is always smiling. Animation in this hotel is ok, but could be improved (maybe drue to the fact that high season is just beginning). I am always on the beach, and activities rarely start before 10.30, which is kind of strange to me. Also in the evening, the organization is not that fluent and sometimes activities start at the moment the reastaurant opens. Apart from that, the activities and games are enjoyable & the animators are fun! The hotel itself isn't very big and I would see this as a plus because it gives it a more homy feeling. Staff in general appreciate it if you try to speak just a tiny bit of Spanish & get enthousiastic right away. I was also happy that we had to take a bus (that comes every half hour) to the beach, so you actually have a nice small tour on the playa grounds. All in all, I would definetly want to come back to Lupita again ^_^

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, mention this when booking. Otherwise you might end up close to the disco...
4 Thank Ilse v
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my parents stayed at the Lupita from 13th June until 27th June and we had a fantastic time. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIP's. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly and helpful - in particular reception and the management team. The room was comfortable enough for us - we only sleep there after all as we go on holiday to explore. The food was delicious and there was always plenty of it, little disappointed with the Mexican restaurant as the menu doesn't change and if you go twice in a two week visit you end up with the same starter and dessert. Maybe a menu that changes every two weeks would be an idea if I had a suggestion. My mum had her birthday out there, reception sent a lovely bowl of fruit and at the Mexican restaurant they bought out a beautiful cake for her which made her day extra special. On occasion the drinks were watered down but I would just go get another - it's all inclusive after all. The entertainment team were great and tried to get you involved in activities but wouldn't pester you too much if you didn't want to join in. We liked the fact the hotel wasn't on a beach, yes it wasn't ideal to have to get a bus, however, the benefits outweigh the negatives as you get the opportunity to get off at the shops as well as the beach, you get your own private dining area/ bar and pool and it's like you're going on a day trip too! Although our rep wasn't very good ( we got more info from reception) we did book several trips Contoy island, Coba and snorkelling with turtles at Akumal the last being our favourite, all though were worth the money we paid. All in all it was a fantastic holiday which is why we have booked to go back next April and are looking forward to seeing the alterations that have been made following the refurb.

Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Sarah C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Hotel Riu Lupita? Share your experiences!