Hotel Riu Lupita
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
ClubHotel Riu Tequila(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
The Reef Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
3,096 results
All reviewsbeach clubshuttle busanimation teamquiet poolevery other daymain poolmattress toppersmall resortmain restaurantmini barbuffet restauranttennis courtsother resortsmexican foodevening showsceiling fansecond week
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Booked this as a late deal through Thomsons at a very good price-would not have liked to pay the full price for it though.

Friendly welcome at reception with a glass of cool juice provided. Check in was quick with the general features of the hotel explained in English by efficient staff member. Key for room safe was automatically provided with room key at no additional charge.Cards for beach towels were also provided.

Reception area is fairly small with sofas/chairs /tables. Free wifi is available here for 90 mins. daily-needs to be used at one session . It can be very slow. Faster connection is available at a charge.Toilets and luggage storage available as well as a telephone booth. There is an ATM machine in the foyer (pesos only) . There is a charge applied for use.
Decor in reception is somewhat dated(orange/terracotta paintwork). Several large ceiling fans.

Our luggage was taken to our room by a very friendly porter who accompanied us to show us the way-room was on the ground floor of a 3 storey building at the far end of the resort. On the way he pointed out the various features-pools/restaurant/bar etc and reminded us of opening times.He deposited the luggage in our room ,wished us a pleasant holiday and turned to leave-not hanging around waiting or expecting for a tip.When my husband followed him outside to give him a tip he was very appreciative .

Room was a very good size with a large double bed as requested . We found it to be very comfortable.The room also contained a sofa, a table +2 chairs and plenty of wardrobe/drawer space in the units.
It was very clean and the air conditioning and ceiling fan were very effective as the room was very cool in 30+ degrees outside.
It was only when I located the air conditioning unit low down on the wall beside the curtains and behind the table to turn it down a bit that I discovered it was a very old model,loose on the wall ,turning the various knobs didn't make much difference and any writing to see which knobs were for what was long gone.Eventually I managed to turn it down a bit . Despite it being past it's best it did work efficiently and kept the room cool.
The curtains and sofa were covered in the same fabric-terracotta + blue. The backout lining on the curtains was in poor condition-it seemed to have melted at one end with several sections all stuck together. This meant it didn't fully cover the window and let in light at one corner. It also had a number of holes in it. Despite it's poor condition it did do not too bad a job of keeping the room fairly dark as the curtains being very full and dark coloured fully covered the windows.There was also a net curtain and a bug screen on the sliding doors to the terrace.

There were a few bar optics on the wall over the fridge. We didn't use these so cannot comment on the quality of the drinks provided here. The fridge didn't work at all.We did use the bottles of water provided-2 large bottles which were replaced every 2 days. We found this ample as we got water from the bar during the day whether at the pool or the beach and really only used the water for drinking in the room.We didn't use the other soft drinks or beer provided either so again can't comment on quality but it didn't look a great amount if you did want to make use of what they called the mini bar in the room.

The terrace had 2 plastic chairs ,a clothes drier and the outside of the air conditioning unit that constantly dripped water. The terrace faced a small stretch of grass/gravel and then the perimeter fence of the property with the bushes/woodland of what I assumed was part of the golf course. The terrace never got the sun and there was no view....except of the coati-mundi that lived in the wooded area.

The bathroom was in good condition with reasonable pressure in the shower.A shampoo dispenser was located on the wall of the bath/shower. No other toiletries were provided.Towels were changed daily or as frequently as you wished.The dark marble around the sink unit was in fair condition given that it looked very old in comparison to the rest of the bathroom tiles.The small window in the bathroom had quite old looking insect screening and opening/closing device.

The maids did a very good job of ensuring the room was made up however we seemed to be missed out one day and of course it would be a day when we put the towels on the floor indicating we wanted fresh ones! So when we came back after a day of sightseeing we had no dry towels to use. We phoned reception several times but they didn't seem to be picking up the phone so we had to go round. They were very apologetic and towels arrived very promptly.They said they had not heard the phone ringing.For the first week of our stay the room was always made up before we returned after lunch for a siesta. Most days there was some interesting towel art. For the second week the room wasn't made up early and we had to put the "make up my room" sign out again after our siesta.There was no towel art when this happened.

The grounds were well kept .There were 2 pools-the larger one beside the snack bar and the bar where organised activities took place and a smaller quieter pool nearer the "spa". There was also a childrens play area and separate pool.There were a couple of table tennis tables, tennis courts,a volleyball court for use if you wished.

I didn't actually use the "spa" but had to go round several times before I found it open to find out what they offered.They didn't have any leaflets to take away but did show me a list . All the usual treatments seemed to be available and prices were quoted in American dollars. It did look quite small and was located near the quiet pool.

Meals in the self service buffet restaurant were fine. There was plenty of choice. Some days the choices were better than others . Some times the quality was better than others. Sometimes the food was warmer than others.
.Sadly on a number occasions the fresh fruit was covered in small flies-this didn't happen many times but it was very off putting when it did. Sometimes the ice cream in the freezer melted-then it froze over again. Given the open nature of this restaurant birds sometimes got in and flew around ,often landing on the chairs/tables.
The restaurant was kept "cool" by ceiling fans-sometimes it was OK but sometimes it wasn't comfortable. It wasn't the kind of place to linger over a meal. People generally didn't get dressed up for dinner so despite the no sleeveless t shirts/shorts sign that's how many diners . dressed. Staff in the restaurant worked very hard to clear tables and bring tea/coffee/wine /beer. and were always very friendly and welcoming.
There is also an a la carte restaurant. We tried it one night-didn't go back. Menu has limited selection and quality is no better than the buffet restaurant.There are 2 sittings. Everone gets served at the same time so you have to wait till everyone if finished the starter before the mains are served ....food wasn't all that warm. Service was slow.

There was a programme of entertainment during the day and in the evening. Daytime activities included bingo,water volleyball,ping pong, There was also some salsa dance lessons but I only saw this happening once-maybe it happened the days I went to the beach and I just missed it. There was water aerobics on the programme but the only time I saw it happen was the day we were leaving. Again maybe it was a day when I was at the beach ......I.
I would have liked to see water aerobics/zumba and the dance classes a regular feature but sadly I didn't see this.
The evening entertainment was far too "holiday camp " for my taste and centered around the bar/stage area.I have no doubt the annimation team were trying hard but I really did not enjoy it. Given that there was no other bar area to sit-only other place was reception we ended up going out....a lot in the evening to escape it.
The quality of drinks in the bar was poor.

The bus to the beach is good-1st stop for Playa Carmen then on to the beach.
The beach is lovely-turquoise water and white sand. There's enough sunbeds both on the beach and around the pool. The snack bar if fine for cool drinks-food is poor.

Thomsons rate this hotel as a 3 star. If you go expecting this you will be pleased with certain aspects of this accommodation. If you expect more you will be disappointed.The hotel is closing later in the season for refurbishment so hopefully the negative points will be addressed at that time.
The hotel is situated near the 18th tee of the golf course. The hotel can arrange a booking if you wish to play with a 15% discount. Take the beach bus to get there-the club house is across the road from where it drops you off.Even with the discount it costs around £100 to play in the morning. This is inclusive of drinks from the cart the drives round and includes a buggy. It's cheaper to play in the afternoon.The course is apparently quite a difficult one.
If like us you want to escape in the evenings -we found Latinos,an Italian restaurant abr and restaurant a good place for a drink or a meal. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. It's about a 10 min walk from the hotel and you will see it beside a small supermarket on the way to the beach. A taxi into Playa Carmen is around 70-100 pesos depending how far along 5th Avenue you want to go.

We did have a good holiday in Mexico. The staff at the Lupita are great. The accommodation had ups and downs -we got a great deal on it so for us we really got more than we paid for so to speak. If I was going again I would probably opt for one of the other hotels near the beach as that way it's convenient to make use of their facilities too-the Lupita was out on it's own with that regard.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have mobility issues-there are no lifts. Go after the hotel has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank visit09
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After our original holiday plans were cancelled myself and my husband had to quickly find somewhere sunny to go with less than 3 weeks planning.

We picked this place as it was one of limited hotels available at the last minute and simply prayed that it would be fine when we got there.

The first impression was better than I anticipated. I had an idea in mind from the web and it did exceed my expectations. The welcome from the reception team was strong and I did begin to feel at ease.

The rooms are a let down. They are very dated, slightly tacky and extremely basic. The cleanliness was ok to begin with but the housekeeping staff really dropped the ball after the first few days - it seemed a bit strange that the turning point was right after we had been asked to grade them on their service since arriving!!! It was almost as if they didnt care now that they had our views from the initial days.

The facilities within the hotel are average. Two pools, one substantially quieter than the other if you need a rest. The beach is not within walking distance - esp considering the heat. There is however a shuttle bus which runs to the beach and back every half hour. This saves this hotel in this respect as without it there would be limited beach access without taxis etc. There is also a set area for the hotel at the beach with its own pool bar and snack station - saves travelling back and forth to the hotel.

In terms of food I was also pleasantly surprised. There are only two restaurants. One has the same set menu every night - due to this we only went once but the food was lovely. The other is the buffet restaurant. I would normally avoid this type at all costs but the variety and relaxed atmosphere meant it was actually the best choice. I have read reports on here of the food being limited and repetitive - one can only assume the hotel has noted this and taken action as we found a large variety in our two week stay.

The entertainment is very very tacky. Think Butlins in the 90's - all thats missing is a mascot. It is clear the team try hard to entertain guests but bringing it up to date is long overdue.

The reception staff are reasonably helpful although only one or two speak fluent english so if you do not speak spanish there is a degree of difficulty.

There were a few service issues. Some cleaning complaints, issues with the television in the room and our minibar and fridge was not stocked every 2 days as advised and it felt like we were constantly on the phone to get this resolved. The hotel would benefit from someone taking control of complaints as despite reporting these and having someone try to fix most of it we still kept getting a daily phonecall from "services" to check we were happy - when we explained that there was some outstanding issues and someone else was dealing they said nothing - just called back half an hour later. If they had some sort of inter communication it would be easier.

All in all the hotel was average. Nice to be in the sunshine for two weeks which always makes you less fussy.
I think, from reading reviews and looking at others in the same resort, it would be on the lower end scale. If we had been able to plan better I am not sure we would have purposely picked the hotel. It would also not be fair to say I would return or recommend it highly. It needs a makeover in terms of updating, the general facilities could do with an overhaul and the entertainment is cringeworthy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KayleighMac
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

After staying in RIU hotels over the last 3 years at different resorts across the world I was extremely disappointed with the RIU Lupita in Mexico.

The reception recieves guest on a daily basis but seems disorganised and the staff do not always speak English so getting information is difficult at times.

Our room was simple and adequate, the shower provided ample hot water but the bathroom was very tiered and every shower caused water to poor out over the floor, no matter what way the shower curtain is angled due to the shower head fixed and a stupid angle.

The room was cleaned daily but we had a trainee cleaner, this meant two or three people in and out of the room checking her work but if something wasn't right, they would point it out but not rectify the problem. I pointed out certain areas such as the balcony that was cleaned once over the stay. If I hadn't have done this she would have not done it at all. After the fortnight the amount of dust in some areas was substantial which you don't expect in a RIU establishment.

The bar I found poor, it always seemed tatty, the tables were not cleaned regularly and the staff were particularly rude. The service could be improved by having the right amount of staff when busy and the staff should be expected to make up the cocktails to the description and not save money by not adding alcohol. I had to ask on a number of occasions and the staff were rude when been asked to add it.

The main pool did not appeal to me due to the activities going on but the quite pool was a dream. Cleaned regularly and well covered for hot times.

The beach club had a good amount of loungers, a pool and bar facilities. I would not recommend the lunch at the beach club, it was terrible to say the least and the hotel lunch was much better. The bus ride to the beach is fine, the walk to the beach is long but fine and the service is on time.

The hotel food was ok, variety seemed to be lacking by the second week and the outside cooking events seemed pointless. The restaurant staff are very underwhelming, drinks service is poor and slow and they only speak to those guest that are local.

Overall I was extremely disappointed as the resort has a rating if 5star which it most certainly is not!!! Would not recommend for anyone expecting a semi luxurious break.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Emma H
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Although the hotel is not on the beach the shuttle bus runs you to a perfect beach club with a superb beach that is not too busy or noisy. Great hotel facilities. Those that complain its not on the beach - then pay your extra 500 to stay there !!!
Only small niggle was the poor quality alcohol ... Was there any ??? You could drink and never get drunk ... Opened our own vodka and what a difference ...
The food was pretty good too and you could swim in the pool anytime day or night .
would go back for the same price !!!

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Purple_and_Me
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our second trip to Mexico didn't get off to a great start as we were held up at customs in Cancun for nearly 3 hours. We weren't offered any water, there was nowhere to sit, you had to ask for the loo and were escorted to it. Never seen so many armed security, police then army. Someone passed out in the queue, it was tough going. The Thomson reps waited for us but boy did they have the hump! Not quite sure how they thought or cared how we felt, still no water for us!
Arriving at the Lupita the reception staff were really not bothered with me and my husband as a large group were on their way and we were begrudgingly given a drink.
However, once we were over that things got better.
This hotel is not on the beach front but a bus arrived regularly to drop us there or at the top of 5th Avenue. The beach was nice but closed after a few days for renovating. Apparently a club house and swimming pool were being built. So instead we could be dropped at the Yucatan or the Playacar. We have stayed at the Yucartan before so only went there once and mainly went to the Playacar.
The Lupita's rooms were clean and tidy. Cleaned daily and always some towel art, lovely guy who came in daily. Needed extra pillows, arrived promptly and with a smile.
Food was varied and plentiful. Disappointed with the drinks, sometimes you got branded, sometimes not but the bar staff made up for it. After a day or 2 they knew what you liked to drink, really friendly.
Loved the coati mundi's wandering around. We were on the top floor and they would climb up the tiny drain pipes and even open the shutter door!!
Went on the Pirate trip, fantastic, pricey but worth doing.
The entertainment team worked long hours and tried hard to keep everyone having fun.
The weather was changeable but the evenings weren't as humid as when we there in October.
I would stay in this hotel again as it is more intimate and quiet than the others and the staff are fantastic but i do like it a bit more lively, so we are heading back to the Yucatan this year.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid bugs. Not far to walk from the furthest rooms to the restaurant and pools.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple