“Worst Dining Experience in Playa”

Siesta Fiesta Hotel
Ranked #113 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
South Burlington, Vermont
“Worst Dining Experience in Playa”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was attracted to this restaurant on ave. Quinta by the good live music. The music was the only good thing about this restaurant. I asked the waitress if a soup on the menu was vegetarian, and she assured me it was. Given her aloofness, I ended up asking another waiter the same question. He went to the bar to ask someone who looked like the manager, and came back to assure me it was not a meat based soup. When the soup came, I took one spoonful and to my dismay was chewing on a piece of animal fat. The food came at the same time as my soup so I put my soup aside and tried to enjoy my meal. My waitress never came back to my table, and I had to ask another waiter for the bill. I also told him that I did not want to pay for the soup as it was not vegetarian as they claimed it was. He told me not to worry about it, and that I would not be charged. When I finally received my bill, there was a hand written amount on the bill above what the bill worked out to be. After some time I was able to get my waitresses attention to ask her about the hand written amount. She told me this amount included the suggested tip. I gave her some money and when she brought me the change, she had taken out the suggested tip. There are so many wonderful restaurants on avenida Quinta. This one should be avoided.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank finefolle13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hungarian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Not real sure about the hotel part, but the restaurant bar is widely known to the locals (and my personal experience) as a place that "pads" tabs and tries its best to rip you off. Just wanted to warn everyone

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Went to Playa del Carmen to spend a night with my gf, we took a look at the room which seemed ok and decided to stay, left our stuff and went out for lunch, once back we decided to take a nap to find out a bed full of little bugs that eat you alive, room was full of mosquitos, we requested a room with air conditioner which did not work at all. I went to the reception to request a room change BIG SURPRISE none was responsible for anything, I was told that the person in charge was coming back to the hotel in 6 hours (at 9 pm) and meanwhile there was NOTHING to do, then i requested a refound since I spent less than 1 hour in the room, and I got the same answer which did not make sense considering I paid cash. We decided then to go right across the street to find a much better hotel for 12 dollars more. I went back to siesta fiesta at night time to speak to "the guy in charge" to find a very ignorant person who did not even want to talk to me and ended up saying "sorry no refund". I must mention that the place looks shady just as the people who works there, once in the other hotel we had a conversation with another couple who had a much worse experience at siesta fiesta, they were robbed. Playa del Carmen is full of hotels, my recomendation is stay soewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Francisco S
Sioux Falls SD
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stopped here quite a few times. Was our meeting place on 5th ave. Drinks were average price for the area $8 us tequila sunrise/happy hour two for $8. Staff very nice. Nice comfortable seating. Had guacamole and pico was pretty good. $7.50 us for that. Would definitely go back - entertainment was great.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Michelle_D
Reviewed January 1, 2012

No one can argue that the location is prime but the quality of the rooms here is the major problem. If you don't mind staying in a place that reminds you of a run down youth hostel, then that's ok, but the towels and bed linens are old and gross, the floors seem to be sticky and the rooms get really dark once the sun goes down since there are only 3 small lights. Since its right by the street there is a fair bit of party noise too, so bring some ear plugs. If you're on a major budget you could consider this place, otherwise find a better spot.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Gokellyko
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Siesta & Fiesta was the perfect choice for vaccations in playa del carmen. In a town full of hotels and night-life-possibilities the hotel siesta & fiesta differs significantly from all the other hotels. The nice arcitecture of the hostel gives the whole place a nice, typically mexican flavour and we immediatly liked the wooden "siesta & fiesta" style, which is easy to find out, even from outside on the street - just take a look.

The food was really good and you have next to the typicall stuff a variety of mexican specialities, so we didnt check out a lot of restaurants outside of the hotel. Another big plus is the live music every night - perfect to start playa del carmens night-life! The bar offers every kind of alcohol, but we stayed almost all the time with beer and tequila.

The rooms were clean and quite big and you can chill out on one of the hammocks, which come with the room. The staff was really friendly and everybody spoke english - so our spanish-skills didnt really become better.

We had so much fun there that we decided to go there another time! We recommend this hotel to all our friends!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank maxist921
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Went to the Siesta Fiesta bar last week and they had a good band playing which was fun. Had a good time there with my boyfriend and we drank 7 corona's each. The staff was ok, untill we got the check. They charged for every corona too many pesos. They also put 20 pesos extra + 15% tax + 15% tip. These last two where ok for us, but we were wondering where the 20 pesos came from. We thought "ok, just a mistake, no problem, we'll just tell them". But when we told our waiter about the corona prices and asked him about the 20 extra he just put a menu in front of us and said loud "here! you see, 20 pesos!!". So we read where he pointed at and there stood that when you sit on a table, there has to be a minimum consumption of 20 pesos pp. Let me make this clear; we are never difficult with tips or what so ever. It was just that they first make every corona more expensive than there was standing on the menu, and then they add an other 20 pesos out of nothing. If they charge 20 pesos out of nothing extra to every table, then that's a lot of money at the end of the day.. And when you just ask about it, the waiter becomes extremely rude to you... He didn't wanted to give anything back and threw our change at our table. We just never come here again.. and we will never recommend it to anybody to go to this bar..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple