“EXCELLENT STAY!!”

Ranked #87 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Brossard, Canada
“EXCELLENT STAY!!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel is the ideal Place for your stay in playa del carmen .
The rooms are comfortables very clean and well decorated.
The staff is what makes this an excellent hotel. They are helpful and very friendly.
THANK YOU Erica, Aria ,Fabiola for all the good informations you gave us ( tours, best restaurants, etc.)
WIFI is very good, beach very close to hotel . Breakfast was perfect to start the day.
I would go back to this hotel and definitely recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel is located on 5th Avenue - the main hub of Playa Del Carmen. There are restaurants and clubs right along 5th avenue and a whole lot of shops. The ocean is a short walk away. There are plenty of good places to swim, and the surf was fun I found. The accomodation is very nice indeed, and the hotel has a very welcoming and friendly atmosphere with friendly staff. The staff are very knowledgeable on the area, and surrounding areas, and can help with any plans you may have. wifi worked well, my room was very well presented and comfortable. A good place at the hotel to have breakfast and to meet other guests. I recommend this place very much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
santa Domingo
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Hote Lunata is a beautiful hotel with lovely rooms in Hacienda style. A nice garden were you eat breakfest. The staff are very friendly och service minded. The hotel is very located central on 5 avenue near shopping and night life. A very unique hotel which we recommend strongly!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Instead of an all inclusive big resort, we decided we'd like to try a Hacienda style hotel in the heart of the restaurants and shops. This hotel was authentic Mexican and had a well kept and very clean feel to it. The complimentary breakfast was in a nice secluded courtyard in the back of the hotel.
We were only a couple of blocks to the ocean, where we were able to use the beach chairs and umbrellas.
The staff was super, thank you Erica and Aria!
We were able to book tours through them directly and get their advice on what to see as well.
It could get noisy being right on 5th Ave, which is their main street and where all the action is.
We were glad to have a room facing the courtyard so was much quieter I'm assuming.
Love to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Patti D
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Lunata for a total of 6 days in late Feb/early March 2014. This consisted of 2 separate 3-night stays in 2 different rooms, both of which I will review below. But first, my non-room-specific observations…

Check-in was a breeze, very friendly and helpful staff, especially Erika & Fabiola. I arrived early on both occasions and they were happy to store my luggage in a secure area until my room was ready. They also gave me a beach towel to use, which really came in handy and I went to the beach both times to pass time until my room was ready. Upon arriving back at the hotel, my luggage had already been taken to my room! A free continental breakfast was included but I didn’t end up taking it as I heard it was quite light and I usually need a more substantial breakfast. The overall feel of this hotel is amazing! It has a nice, quiet inner garden area that is a really nice respite from the usually super busy 5th avenue. The décor is Mexican Hacienda style and pulled off quite nicely. The grounds are always kept very clean. They also have a nice water cooler on the 2nd floor, which is a great touch and very much appreciated after climbing up stairs in the high heat and humidity.

Room #1 Calypso (3rd floor) – this was a great room with a nice large balcony overlooking the inner garden area of the hotel. This is one of their deluxe rooms with King bed, which was maybe slightly on the hard side but actually one of the more comfortable hotel beds I’ve slept on. Each of the 10 rooms here has their own wireless router, so the internet connection simply cannot be beat. I logged in once with my Ultrabook and phone and had perfect connections my entire time there. In fact, I was even able to connect from my phone sitting a few feet outside the hotel entrance on 5th ave. The room was decorated quite nicely and was very clean. Made service was great and also very quick. A few times I left my room and came back maybe 30-45 minutes later and it had already been cleaned, which means not only are they quick, but they are paying attention to when you leave your room. The shower pressure was very good, which is very important to me. The bathroom was laid out nicely, with a cool tile pattern on the shower floor that feels good on the feet and reduces chances of slipping. The safe is on the small side but I was able to fit all my valuables in it except for my Ultrabook. However, this hotel felt very safe and has limited entrances, which reduces theft possibilities greatly. There is a decent size fridge, which has a few sodas and snacks in the door for purchase at decent prices. They also give you a free large bottle of water per day and there is plenty of room left in the fridge to cool that water and several other bottles and items. I was worried about the noise given this hotel’s proximity to several clubs on 5th ave. Certainly there is more noise here than on the resorts outside of town, but the soundproofing in these rooms is excellent. Any noticeable noise from music, etc. was reduced to a very low amount that didn’t really interfere with my sleep, and I am a very light sleeper. The air conditioning was excellent! Very powerful, which enabled me to get the room down to 65 degrees very quickly when needed. Overall, a great room that would be a top choice for anyone wanting a nice peaceful view of the inner garden.

Room #2 Cordelia (2nd floor) – another deluxe room, this was very similar to Calypso, except that it was on the 2nd floor and facing 5th ave. It even had a balcony where you could stand and watch the hustle and bustle of tourists and shop owners on 5th ave. It wasn’t nearly as big (no room for chairs) as the balcony that Calypso had but still did the trick. Other than this, the rooms were very similar. The only other notable difference was that this room had tremendous shower pressure. While the one in Calypso was great, this one was even more powerful, so much so that I couldn’t even turn it up all the way. Also, pretty much instantaneous hot water! There would be more noticeable noise in this room given closer proximity to 5th, but the double glass sliding doors drowned out the vast majority of noise. As a great little side benefit, I happened to be here during Carnival, so each of my 3 nights I was treated to a bird’s-eye view of the parade that marched down 5th from my private balcony!

In summary, I would absolutely stay here again. I am a Palace Resorts member but decided to go non all-inclusive this trip since I was travelling solo. Even if I went back again with a travel mate, I would want to spend at least part of my trip here. Being on 5th between 6th and 8th is probably the ideal location for anyone wanting to experience all the great things Playa has to offer. It’s an easy walk to both piers from here, as well as being only 5 minutes from the club area on 5th and 12th, as well as numerous great restaurants. Really the only thing missing here that I could ever want would be a pool and hot tub, but lack of these certainly didn’t offset the many great things here or detract from my trip in any way. They also have discount arrangements with several of the beach clubs in the area, so be sure to ask about that when you’re there. Can’t wait to visit Playa and stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank ASP-lover
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

After spending the day in playa we decided to stay the night instead of traveling back to our hotel. I had passed my this hotel on my last trip to playa. It's very small, the staff is very friendly. No pool, no thrills but it is in the heart of down town. We stayed in the Pandora room, it's on the very top floor and has a balcony over the main strip. The hotel is quiet but the streets can be a little loud with festivities which we didn't mind. We had one bed, I would say a full size. It was a bit hard but comfy. The room was VERY clean and while no frills was very accommodating. You are a block from the beach. The tv doesn't have any English channels. There is a "mini" bar with a few drinks and snacks which were very cheap. The free breakfast is very continental at best but I didn't care, I planned on Starbucks (on the corner) in the morning. It's like a little boutique hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gina M
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Lunata is a little hidden gem amongst the hustle and bustle 5th avenue.

We were drawn in by the garden which, although only feet away from thousands of pedestrians on 5th avenue, feels like your own private oasis. This garden is beatiful place to enjoy an early evening drink and whilst doing so we saw a number of people 'drawn in' from 5th avenue to investigate because the whole place is so charming.

A nice, fresh, continental breakfast is is sevred at a large communal table in the garden which is a nive way to start the day.

The architecture and design of the hotel gives it it's real charm; archways, alcoves, domed ceilings and mosaics litter the hallways, stairways and bedrooms.

In our room the cherry on top was the beautful bathroom; A walk-through archways leads into a large mosaiced shower room big enough to sleep in!

The place was spotlessly clean and the staff could not have been more helpful.

Beautiful.

Room Tip: Our room was one facing 5th avenue and was a little noisy; the problem for us was the morning rather...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple