“Charming boutique hotel”

Ranked #83 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
SOUTHAMPTON, NJ
“Charming boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spent three nights in each of two hotels in Playa. While we enjoyed both hotels, each had it own strengths. The Lunata has an A1 location, right on the heart of 5th ave. and a short walk to the beach. Our room was very attractive, spotlessly clean, and quiet. The various people who manned the front desk were all very friendly and helpful. The free continental breakfast was more than adequate, served in the very attractive garden area. Many good restaurants are within a short walk. The only negative for us: the fact that our room was on the third floor and there is no elevator. That said, we would still go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DICKKEIM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed here on a recent getaway to Playa. Hotel Lunata has a great location on 5th Avenue between 6th & 8th Avenue. Very convenient to all the beaches, restaurants, etc. The hotel is quiet & quaint with a very attentive staff. The rooms are very comfortable, upscale furnishings, good mattresses, great showers (hot water with lots of pressure), clean and affordable. They also offer free parking which is a plus in this busy area. If you are looking for a nice spot to call home for a few days, Hotel Lunata can not be beat!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JAXIslaMujeres
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

Dear Fabiola,

I just wanted to send a note to say how much we enjoyed our stay at Lunata. We were there for 3 nights and we ended up staying on the top floor in the Jr. Suite. (Europa room??) We had stayed at another hotel the night before and had to move as it was SO noisy from the disco on the beach.

Your hotel was a wonderful, peaceful haven to go to. It was spotlessly clean, offered a continental breakfast each morning, you gave us beach towels to use,
and we were greeted each day with a smile. There was plenty of hot water and great water pressure. The price was reasonable. We loved our deck facing the back courtyard and spent time out there sipping a drink and chatting in peace and quiet. The location is perfect on the main avenue but you feel like you are miles away as it is so peaceful. The free internet was a bonus too.

We won't hesitate to recommend your hotel and it will be our first choice should we return to the Mayan Riviera.
Thank-you,
Cheryl
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Cheryl S
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel was recommended to us and was exactly what we expected, Quiet and clean, no surprises. We had never been to Playa Del Carmen and this was a good place to start. It's right on the main street,5th avenue, and very close to the beach. There is a continental breakfast served in the morning. To me this is important since I don't like to have to find a restaurant first thing in the morning for a cup of coffee.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tess28Chicago_USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

We had difficulty with the manager, an older lady and not Kristen who was very friendly. We had a rental car and as the hotel is on a pedestrian only street,we had to park, find the hotel, ask where the nearest parking lot was, go back to the car, find that lot, then come back to the hotel and check in. No porter or anyone to help schlep the bags. Apparently it was porters day off. Manager at check in was rude when I asked her to write down name of parking lot. Here's a bright idea let people know about lot and location ahead of time when you take credit card information.

I paid the entire room fee in cash at check in but was asked to give my credit card as a deposit.

When I asked why the hotel needed a deposit when I had just paid in full things got nasty. The manager seemed outraged at what I considered a reasonable question. How audacious a guest questioning a confusing policy! She snapped it was due to the minbar which had about $5. USD worth of stuff in it.

During my stay I was greeted with sneers while my partner got smiles.

At check out, again no porter I told her I found her most inhospitable.

She retorted that she found me disrespectful at check in. I replied that it is my right to ask a reasonable question and that Mexico is a democracy and perhaps she should work in Saudis Arabia. I reminded her that I was the guest and spending money at her hotel and not the other way round.

Great hotel, I would stay again and just hope the owners had the good sense to fire her, and promote Kristin.

Let people know in advance where your parking arrangements are and where. At 135 USD have someone there to help guests with bags to and from lot, at check out i had to hire my own bicycle richshaw driver as the manager could care less.

Lesson three: don't hassle guests and loose all goodwill for $5 worth on minibar stuff. We are not all theives! Plus the hotel already had my credit card info from check in. Manager made a point of telling me maid had already checked minibar and that nothing was missing!

Manager is getting too long in the tooth and it shows. Good hotel lousy manager.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank Honestfeedback2u
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We moved to the Lunata Hotel from another hotel because we wanted a more quiet location, and were tired of living out of our suitcases due to lack of storage space. We were totally happy with the Lunata and would go there again. The rooms are beautiful, large, and clean. We had access to a more-than-adequate continental breakfast under a palapa in the garden. With only ten rooms, It was like staying in a Mexican hacienda. The Lunata is located on 5th Avenue and a very short walk to the beach and the Fusion Beach Bar and Restaurant, where guests get a 10 per cent discount and rent their chairs at a very reasonable price. The staff were very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: A room facing the garden would be preferable.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lorettam55
wash
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

I stayed there 4 nights. It really doesn't have much to offer other than being right on 5th ave. It is clean. Basic room has no coffee pot. TV has only 2 English channels which are awful.
When I checked the day before, they showed me the basic room, and a better room at a little more cost. When I went the next day to get the room, they to told me the nice room had been booked for 2 months in advance and that I couldn't have it. I was really disappointed, but stayed in the basic room as I was just tired from my long walk to get there. I checked the next day and there are better places with more to offer right on 5th ave or very nearby at about the same price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo