“Excellent”

Ranked #73 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
South Wales
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

We stayed at this resort from the 19th September - 3 October and could not fault it.

This was lovely with penty of choice for everyone, the buffet resturant have a different theme every night which is repeated the next week and out of the 2 weeks the only night I struggled to find something was on Western Night.

I was travelling with a 2 year old and he wanted feeding before the rest of the party and if you ask in the main buffet resturant they will give you a plastic container so you can get a takeaway.

We only tried the fish resturant and found the staff here very helpful and as none of us could decide what we fancied they advised us to order 2 dishes per person and then share.

Pools

These were all lovely, and all had shallow areas where you could put your sunbeds into the water and had either gradual slopes or steps to get into the main pool so it was very child friendly and in the main pool there were always plenty of activities happening to keep you entertained and there were never a shortage of sunbeds.

We went to the quite pool which is next to block 17 as there was hardly anyone there and when you wanted a drink you never had to wait whereas by the main pool sometimes you could be waiting for up to 10 minutes before you were served and it made no difference whether you tipped them or not because of the number of people at that pool.

Grounds

Very clean and very well maintained.

We saw quite a lot of animals running in and out of the trees some of which I have never seen before so that was lovely.

Room

The rooms were spotless and were cleaned everyday, but did smell fousty. We had fresh towels daily, and as we had a little one with us they refilled our fridge daily rather then every 2 days.

Beach

This is very small and the sand was quite hard but there are fish in the sea and if you take bread etc from the buffet with you they will come and eat it out of your hands.

We were talking to the waiters and they told us about their local beach which cost $10usd to get there by taxi and it was lovely, it is within walking distance to playa del carmen. We asked at reception and they told us the name of the beach.

Kids Club

This was very good with a lovely pool for them and games etc inside for when the sun gets a little too hot for them.

Xcaret Park

This was good, be careful of the monkeys by the mexican village as they had a baby with them and were very protective of the baby and as people were getting too close to get a photo they did start to attack and were running off with peoples cameras.

We went swimming with the dolphins which was fantastic, it cost us $149 usd and we were in the water for 1 hour with them.

Downside

The only downside to the hotel were the biting inspects, we took jungle sprays etc with us and we were all bit to hell.

I would difinately go back to this hotel.

• Liked — Everyting
  • Disliked — Fousty smell in the room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
20 Thank Liscombe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,710)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Texas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2006

Returned yesterday after a 3-night stay in the Xcaret. My brother are in our mid-twenties, and we went to escape the grind...

The place has gorgeous grounds. We remarked on the complaints we read about walking, because the scenery made us want to walk everywhere... The little trams were always around anyway. Lazy peeps! The pools, restaurants, and rooms were all the nicest I've seen in Mexico, and I've been to a couple of resorts of this type. We saw parrots, monkeys, iguanas, amazing megapools, surprisingly non-cheesy shows, and even some ruins.

Since it rained off and on for the entirety of our stay, we didn't spend much time at the pools or beach. :( The beach section is small, so don't book this hotel if you're hoping for a "beach vacation"....

Here are my complaints: upon check-in, we would have benefited from information on restaurants, phone use, towel policy, money changing, shopping, transportation, anything! We had to figure this out on our own. All other interactions with staff were top-notch, though.

The other ridiculous situation was the phones - to make a call from the room costs one of your kidneys. I ended up using the pay phone in the lobby with my credit card, and it charged THIRTY FOUR $$ for a ONE MINUTE call to the US. Thank you senor, may I have another? Buy a phone card in town, and call from a town pay phone.

A cab to Playa costs $10 and takes 10 minutes. We took the ferry to Cozumel for snorkeling 2 days ago, and it was a highlight of the trip. You can book such a trip at Mayaluum (Mayalum?), which is a travel agency in Playa at Avenida 10 and Calle 2. Playa is fun to walk around, but I wouldn't spend more than a half-day or so there. Go to the beach off of fifth, and pick a place that serves drinks on the sand.. Nice! The Playa nightlife was pretty lame, so stick w/ the free drinks at Xcaret :)

The Xcaret nightlife is somewhat lame too, but it's not particularly a singles place (as we learned). The "discoteque" is fun for (euro) people watching, but we hung out at the sports bar most of the time. Ask for a name brand liquor by name, and they'll serve it right up! Alberto is a cool bartender. We had a blast at the sports bar 3 nights in a row.

Pros: Incredible hotel, beautiful room, great food, immaculate grounds, great staff (especially when you tip a little!), snorkeling in Cozumel
Cons: Front desk doesn't explain much at check-in. Beach size is small. Use of phone from the hotel is ridiculous.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
19 Thank SingleTripper
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

My boyfriend and I got back from our vacation on October 1st and I have to say, it was a tough day.
This was our first time in Mexico so we didn't know what to expect, but we had a fantastic time, so it was sad to be back.
The Xcaret was such a great place to stay. Yes, the first day we got there we were a bit confused because the grounds are SO big, but the staff was so friendly that one lady actually took us herself to the main areas; the pool, the beach, the restaurants. After that it was a breeze. I'll try to break down our opinion of the hotel pretty quickly:

Grounds: So clean and lush! What a beautiful sight. If you wake up early enough (7ish) and make your way around the grounds, you'll see the staff working on the lawns, the gardens, etc. Like I said, it's a very very big hotel, with about 20 buildings and almost 700 rooms, but you make your way around with no problems, either by foot (which isn't a big deal at all), or you can take the little white trolleys, which are always around.
I found the animals on the grounds a really fun addition. As you make your way around you'll encounter animals such as flamencos, boars, deer, monkeys, etc. No need to be scared of them; they are mostly enclosed, but are really nice to look at.

Staff: Very helfpul. Some of them don't speak English all that well, but you can make out what you they mean to say. They are all around, so if you need anything, they aren't far.

Bars: Plentiful! There are 14, I believe. If you need a drink, you can certainly get one from 10 in the morning until you get to bed! Also, the bars were really original- one is actually IN the pool, another has swings to sit on rather than seats! The beach bar is actually on the beach, so you don't have far to go and even more than that, waitresses come to you while you're lying on the sand to ask what you'd like to drink! Same goes for the pool area- just sit back and relax and someone will come with your drink.

Pools: Wow. There is one HUGE pool with so many chairs that you don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve one with a towel. Most of the time the pools were clean, but once or twice, after rain, they needed some cleaning, and sure enough a staff member would be on his way with a net to clean the leaves etc. out of the pools.

Food: This was the one thing that I can't rave about. There are 2 buffets, one indoor, and the other outdoor, overlooking the beach. They also have a couple of a-la-carte restaurants that you don't need to make reservations for, and then there are the more elegant restaurants (Italian, seafood, Grill, etc.) Breakfast was great, in both the buffets. Lunch and dinner weren't as good. There definitely is a lot of variety, and you will never go hungry because there is so much food, but as a healthy eater, I found that a lot of the food was oily, or fried. I found it a bit of a challenge to find something that was steamed or grilled without butter or oil. My boyfriend had no problems at all, seeing as how he doesn't bother with checking for oil and butter and cream. In case you're scared of getting sick from the meat or chicken, don't be- I had them, other had them too, and nobody was sick.

Beach: Just gorgeous. It isn't a long beach, not like a typical one, but a lagoon. What they did was bring the oceanwater in, so that the beach is not on the shoreline. Some people were surprised because they were looking to walk along the beach, which you can't do because it's not long but more oval. However, the water was so clear and just warm enough to cool you off, but was not too cold to get into, and the sand was white as ever. If you'd prefer to float in the ocean and tan rather than on one of the very many beach chairs, you can pick up a blue mattress for an hour at a time, where you get the beach towels. I highly recommend this. It was the most peacful and relaxing thing I've ever done, just lying on the ocean. Real paradise. I just loved the beach.

I think I've covered the main feature of the hotel. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation, with plentiful drinks and food, and a beautiful atmosphere, this is the hotel for you.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Large
23 Thank sarahandguitar
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2006

We just got back from 5 days at this resort, and we really enjoyed our trip out there. We had used Trip Advisor to help us select an all-inclusive from the Mayan Riviera, and most of the reviews were absolutely right.

The beach is an enclosed lagoon, so if you really enjoy walking the beach, this probably isn't for you. However, the water was beautiful, and there was a snack bar right on the water, so you could spend the entire day down near the lagoon. There were always plenty of chairs and umbrellas available. The 2 pools were also nice-- we spent more of our time away from the "fun zone," where a crew played games and music most of the day.

A lot of people on this site commented on the food-- we generally enjoyed it. It's certainly not gourmet, but for resort food, it was good. We always found something enjoyable to eat. We really liked the seafood restaurant, so I highly recommend using one of your reservations for that place. For the bars, we loved the fact that the drinks weren't too strong, so you could have plenty of beach-side margaritas and not get too silly.

Couple of things to know: when you get to the airport, walk outside past all of the guys trying to help you. You need to watch out for people trying to sell you a time share. If you booked a hotel transfer as part of your package, you'll need to find the sign/ respresentative of your travel company after you're out of the airport. If you want to go to an ATM before you leave the airport, you have to look for it while you're still inside because once you're out, you can't go back in. If you booked a tour package in advance (we did), you need to find your travel company representative at your hotel and schedule the date of your tour. Our travel company had "scheduled" a date for our Chichen-Itza tour, but the bus never came to pick us up because we hadn't confirmed it with American Express. Once we did that, there were no problems.

If you enjoy touring, we recommend the Chichen-Itza tour. It's a full day, but we loved looking at the ruins. Also, because the entrance to the Xcaret park is included in your stay at the hotel, it's worth the walk over. People with kids would probably especially enjoy it. We spent about 2 hours there seeing the exhibits we wanted, spent the rest of the day on the beach, and then went back for the night show. The night show was definitely worth it.

Overall, we were really happy with our experince there, and we'd recommend it to almost anyone taking a trip down to the Riviera Maya.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18 Thank holqg
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

I have just walked in through the door after returning from the Grand Flamenco. We stayed from 10 sep to 24 sep.

Some of the previous reviews have been harsh about this resort and some have been downright barmy. I mean what the hell do you people want?

OK, so some previous comments- the food is not up to much even in the restaurants. The staff were sometimes rude and just couldn't be bothered. The resort was too big and the mini car was never about.

So i am going to give you my experience. But first let me tell you something about ourselves.

My husband and myself work incredably hard and our two week break is vital. I am really demanding about this and want it to be perfect. As a result we tend to spend more money than average, Four weeks prior to going on holiday our holiday to Turkey was cancelled. So with not alot of time we had to book another. I did alot of looking on the internet and selected this resort. Then i read some of the previous guest reviews.

We were not really worried as we tend to find that everyone does have a different opinion but honestly, if you are going to this resort IGNORE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS. This holiday was out of this world.

So let me tell you more.

Check in staff were nice and friendly. Quick and efficient yes but provided me with all the details I needed including a map of the complex, highlighing where our building was, and where we needed to go for the restaurants and beach. However the place is so well signposted you cannot get lost. IT does cover a large area but the mini cars run from 8am to 11 pm. The longest we had to wait for a car wan 10 mins, but then the sign does say every 10 mins. I have to say we did mainly use the cars, not because it was too much to walk but because it was too hot.

Alot of people have commented on the food being below what you would expect. We had only been there for 24 hours and we could not understand this. Breakfast could be had at Buffet or at the beach. Plenty to choose from ranging from cereal to fruit to cooked- eggs waffles potatoes. Lunch at Buffet, beach or pool. Again so much choice. For both breakfast and lunch there was always something to choose from. Something for everyone, no matter what. The resturants were lovely. fantastic service and food. La Hacienda, Los Olivos were our favourites. The only one we did not like was the fish and seafood restaurant, but the location at night was wonderful. Not too much choice though.
As i said in the beginning, could not understand the food and service comments. It was all good. no complaints.

And that really sets the scene for the holiday. Nothing to complain about. Try speaking a little Spanish. remember to tip. But lets face it that is just common courtesy. In fact to get any kind of bad service it has to come from you first. Honestly, nobody could do too much. One day we did not have any beer in mini bar. Asked the chamberman and he gave us a six pack. He also left us flowers in our room and bathroom for when we returned at the end of the day.

Go to Xcaret park. It is free but also wonderful. But be prepared to do alot of walking and it will be hot hot hot. But so worth it.

Go and see the animals scattered around the Grand Flamenco and always always have a biscuit or two when having a drink in the lobby bar to feed the fish with. They are always hungry. but fun.

If you cannot tell by what i have said so far we had a fantastic time. Got up had a lazy breakfast, Sat by the quiet pool in the cool jaquzzi. went for lat lunch. had cocktail or two at swim up bar,or at Lobby bar. Back to cool air conditioned room to get ready fro evening. The Entertainment was fun and never went on for too long. you are free to get as involved in the activites as you want. or not.

Yes they do invite you to a 'talk' about vacation clubs. Alot of people take them up and it did seem like a good plan so it is worth a discussion. DO NOT LET THEM GO ON AND ON. THEY SAY AN HOUR AND HALF. If you are not interested stop them and get on with your holiday. We met a few people who do this though and they reve about it. For us it was just a wrong time.

SO I hope this helps a little. Although the best advice I can give you is the holiday will be what YOU make it. Make it a good one!

My email is happysj@hotmail.co.uk if you would like to ask any questions.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
44 Thank sarah-jqne
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

My family of five (3 kids ages 2,4, & 6) stayed at the OGX for a week and absolutely loved it, despite 2 days of stomach illness.

We had two adjoining rooms on the first floor that were spotless - no issues with bugs. We were right outside of the main activities pool, which was great because we could run back and forth to the room for changes, naps, etc.. We did utilize the kids club a few times, but my little guy wasn't old enough to stay without a parent. The kids club kept the kids busy for about 2 hours at a time before they were tired of the TV and video games and wanted out.

We had no problem finding something to eat for everyone at every meal. My husband and I thought the food was great and they had enough kid staples to keep my kids happy. We really enjoyed the restaurant at the beach for breakfast because of the great views and hammocks for the kids to play in while we enjoyed a second cup of coffee.

We went on daily walks and saw iguanas and deer. There is a little zoo area, where you can find monkeys and other animals. Even with young kids, the walking is not excessive, and the scenery was lovely. There is even a little ruins area to explore.

Unfortunately, our entire family got violently ill for a couple of day. We were even so concerned about dehydration for the kids that we visited the on site doctor. He was very kind and prescribed several medications that were delivered to the hotel from the town. The hotel management was also very helpful, offering to deliver bland foods via room service and additional housekeeping visits. After two days of misery, we all emerged to enjoy the rest of our stay.

We really enjoyed our free day to Xcaret park. We floated down both the underground and open air rivers (even the baby!) - which was so fun, and splashed around in the lagoon beach. There were "cowboy" horse shows, and many animals to see. The evening show was really good, but too long for the kids to sit through.

Overall, it was a great family vacation which we would highly recommend!

• Liked — Sparkling clean
  • Disliked — No bath tubs
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
22 Thank DawnR
long island, new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2006

My family of four (2 children, ages 8 & 12) stayed at this resort on 8/5-8/12. You can absolutely believe all of the positive things written about this place. When we arrived, my 8-yr old daughter looked around in amazement and said "Wow! This is waaaaay better than I expected!". I had to agree with her. The lobby is awesome, and the resort just gets better from there.
First I'd like to mention the airport experience, if this is your first time flying into Mexico. After you get thru immigration & customs, get your bags & KEEP WALKING until you actually get OUTSIDE of the airport. If you have a voucher for transportation to the hotel, your driver will be outside holding a sign with the name of the travel company on it. Before you get outside the building, there are many white-shirted, official-looking people who look as though they are there to help you. They will take your voucher out of your hand, look at it as if to check it, then motion you to a counter with another white-shirted, uniformed person seated there. This person will at first act as though they are there to help explain things to you. The truth is they are TIME SHARE SALESPEOPLE. They will waste your time, or worse, get you to buy over-priced tour packages, before you realize what is happening. Just keep walking and find the transportation to your hotel.
The Resort: Check-in was a breeze. We were on the 3rd flr in building 22. We were very happy there, with an ocean view. Our room was adequate, nothing fancy here, but immaculate, and the bathroom is ample. The mini-fridge is restocked with drinks every 2nd day, but we swiped a few off the maid's cart when we needed extras. There are no children's TV shows in English for the most part, so don't count on downtime in the room, watching Nickelodeon. The a/c worked great & there was plenty of water pressure. There is a hairdryer, also.
The grounds are lush, clean & beautiful. My son loved chasing the iguanas, which are all around the place. There is a nature trail, nothing great, but nice for the kids.
The service is not lacking in any way. Everyone who worked there went out of their way to be gracious & helpful. If you at least try to speak a little Spanish it is much appreciated.
Food is plentiful & fine. We thought the seafood restaurant was the best, but the Sonora Grill was also good. As you've read, make the reservations with the "concierge" immediately upon arriving at your building.
There is a "concierge" for each building. Be aware these people are really there to sell you a timeshare into the Royal Club. They will tell you to make your appointment for the "Welcome Breakfast (or lunch, etc)" They say it is a 90-minute tour of the grounds, however everyone we talked to who went said it took AT LEAST 3 HOURS. Don't waste your precious vacation time. They are very persistent about trying to make the appt with you, they asked us every day until we left to go home! They are polite even if you don't attend the presentation. Use them for information about the resort or the area. For example, they can tell you how much you should pay for a taxi to Playa Del Carman, etc.
PLAYA DEL CARMAN Is the town nearby. Don't get into a taxi until you have negotiated a price. It should be no more than $10 (sometimes $9) to go there from the resort. There is a BEAUTIFUL beach there, wear & swimsuit & a coverup, so you can spend time at the beach & then go shopping. Shopping is definitely Mexican-style. Prices are jacked way up and you are expected to bargain. It can be a little stressful if you aren't comfortable doing that. Otherwise, pay a little extra & get your souveniers at the hotel.
Bring your own sunscreen, and wear it all the time. SPF 50 will still leave you with a dark tan. Sunscreen is expensive at the resort.
Other tips: Ladies, leave those sexy heeled sandals at home! There is nowhere to wear them You need comfortable walking shoes as there is LOTS of walking at the resort. We also brought water shoes - they were especially convenient when visiting Xcaret Park, next door to the resort. You can just go swimming with them on and leave them on for the rest of the day. We also brought backpacks, which we used to store towels, extra clothes, etc, when going on all-day excursions.
There is no beach, except for a pretty, man-made lagoon. It is a nice place for the kids to get comfortable with their snorkeling equipment, (we brought our own), but there really isn't a whole lot to see there. There are many different pool areas, and we didn't find it too difficult to get chairs. If you want to be sure, put your towels out around 8am, on the way to breakfast.
I would not recommend this resort for singles hoping to meet people. It is almost all families, and the four single 20-something guys I saw grouped together all looked pretty bored and disappointed! If you are looking to meet someone, this is not the place. There is no night life to speak of. For the kids, there is a show around 7pm or 8pm each nite, before the adult entertainment. Our 8 yr old got a kick out of that. The adult entertainment was pretty cheesy, although they do try. It wasn't worth staying up late for, but you might want to make the scene for a little while, there are vendors and painters around the stage area.
As much as we loved this resort, I don't know if I would go back. There are gorgeous beaches in this part of Mexico, and we didn't realize how much we would miss that. However, the hotel is well located to Playa, Tulum ruins (wear your bathing suit and bring snacks- another gorgeous beach!), Xcaret & other attractions. Aside from the lack of a beach, this resort is about as perfect as you can get!

• Liked — Gorgeous, clean, good food variety, grounds
  • Disliked — no beach
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid the time share sellers
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,187 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,006 reviews

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!