“fantastic holiday - the best”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #70 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I have just walked in through the door after returning from the Grand Flamenco. We stayed from 10 sep to 24 sep.

Some of the previous reviews have been harsh about this resort and some have been downright barmy. I mean what the hell do you people want?

OK, so some previous comments- the food is not up to much even in the restaurants. The staff were sometimes rude and just couldn't be bothered. The resort was too big and the mini car was never about.

So i am going to give you my experience. But first let me tell you something about ourselves.

My husband and myself work incredably hard and our two week break is vital. I am really demanding about this and want it to be perfect. As a result we tend to spend more money than average, Four weeks prior to going on holiday our holiday to Turkey was cancelled. So with not alot of time we had to book another. I did alot of looking on the internet and selected this resort. Then i read some of the previous guest reviews.

We were not really worried as we tend to find that everyone does have a different opinion but honestly, if you are going to this resort IGNORE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS. This holiday was out of this world.

So let me tell you more.

Check in staff were nice and friendly. Quick and efficient yes but provided me with all the details I needed including a map of the complex, highlighing where our building was, and where we needed to go for the restaurants and beach. However the place is so well signposted you cannot get lost. IT does cover a large area but the mini cars run from 8am to 11 pm. The longest we had to wait for a car wan 10 mins, but then the sign does say every 10 mins. I have to say we did mainly use the cars, not because it was too much to walk but because it was too hot.

Alot of people have commented on the food being below what you would expect. We had only been there for 24 hours and we could not understand this. Breakfast could be had at Buffet or at the beach. Plenty to choose from ranging from cereal to fruit to cooked- eggs waffles potatoes. Lunch at Buffet, beach or pool. Again so much choice. For both breakfast and lunch there was always something to choose from. Something for everyone, no matter what. The resturants were lovely. fantastic service and food. La Hacienda, Los Olivos were our favourites. The only one we did not like was the fish and seafood restaurant, but the location at night was wonderful. Not too much choice though.
As i said in the beginning, could not understand the food and service comments. It was all good. no complaints.

And that really sets the scene for the holiday. Nothing to complain about. Try speaking a little Spanish. remember to tip. But lets face it that is just common courtesy. In fact to get any kind of bad service it has to come from you first. Honestly, nobody could do too much. One day we did not have any beer in mini bar. Asked the chamberman and he gave us a six pack. He also left us flowers in our room and bathroom for when we returned at the end of the day.

Go to Xcaret park. It is free but also wonderful. But be prepared to do alot of walking and it will be hot hot hot. But so worth it.

Go and see the animals scattered around the Grand Flamenco and always always have a biscuit or two when having a drink in the lobby bar to feed the fish with. They are always hungry. but fun.

If you cannot tell by what i have said so far we had a fantastic time. Got up had a lazy breakfast, Sat by the quiet pool in the cool jaquzzi. went for lat lunch. had cocktail or two at swim up bar,or at Lobby bar. Back to cool air conditioned room to get ready fro evening. The Entertainment was fun and never went on for too long. you are free to get as involved in the activites as you want. or not.

Yes they do invite you to a 'talk' about vacation clubs. Alot of people take them up and it did seem like a good plan so it is worth a discussion. DO NOT LET THEM GO ON AND ON. THEY SAY AN HOUR AND HALF. If you are not interested stop them and get on with your holiday. We met a few people who do this though and they reve about it. For us it was just a wrong time.

SO I hope this helps a little. Although the best advice I can give you is the holiday will be what YOU make it. Make it a good one!

My email is happysj@hotmail.co.uk if you would like to ask any questions.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
44  Thank sarah-jqne

Reviewed September 19, 2006

My family of five (3 kids ages 2,4, & 6) stayed at the OGX for a week and absolutely loved it, despite 2 days of stomach illness.

We had two adjoining rooms on the first floor that were spotless - no issues with bugs. We were right outside of the main activities pool, which was great because we could run back and forth to the room for changes, naps, etc.. We did utilize the kids club a few times, but my little guy wasn't old enough to stay without a parent. The kids club kept the kids busy for about 2 hours at a time before they were tired of the TV and video games and wanted out.

We had no problem finding something to eat for everyone at every meal. My husband and I thought the food was great and they had enough kid staples to keep my kids happy. We really enjoyed the restaurant at the beach for breakfast because of the great views and hammocks for the kids to play in while we enjoyed a second cup of coffee.

We went on daily walks and saw iguanas and deer. There is a little zoo area, where you can find monkeys and other animals. Even with young kids, the walking is not excessive, and the scenery was lovely. There is even a little ruins area to explore.

Unfortunately, our entire family got violently ill for a couple of day. We were even so concerned about dehydration for the kids that we visited the on site doctor. He was very kind and prescribed several medications that were delivered to the hotel from the town. The hotel management was also very helpful, offering to deliver bland foods via room service and additional housekeeping visits. After two days of misery, we all emerged to enjoy the rest of our stay.

We really enjoyed our free day to Xcaret park. We floated down both the underground and open air rivers (even the baby!) - which was so fun, and splashed around in the lagoon beach. There were "cowboy" horse shows, and many animals to see. The evening show was really good, but too long for the kids to sit through.

Overall, it was a great family vacation which we would highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
22  Thank DawnR
Reviewed September 11, 2006

My family of four (2 children, ages 8 & 12) stayed at this resort on 8/5-8/12. You can absolutely believe all of the positive things written about this place. When we arrived, my 8-yr old daughter looked around in amazement and said "Wow! This is waaaaay better than I expected!". I had to agree with her. The lobby is awesome, and the resort just gets better from there.
First I'd like to mention the airport experience, if this is your first time flying into Mexico. After you get thru immigration & customs, get your bags & KEEP WALKING until you actually get OUTSIDE of the airport. If you have a voucher for transportation to the hotel, your driver will be outside holding a sign with the name of the travel company on it. Before you get outside the building, there are many white-shirted, official-looking people who look as though they are there to help you. They will take your voucher out of your hand, look at it as if to check it, then motion you to a counter with another white-shirted, uniformed person seated there. This person will at first act as though they are there to help explain things to you. The truth is they are TIME SHARE SALESPEOPLE. They will waste your time, or worse, get you to buy over-priced tour packages, before you realize what is happening. Just keep walking and find the transportation to your hotel.
The Resort: Check-in was a breeze. We were on the 3rd flr in building 22. We were very happy there, with an ocean view. Our room was adequate, nothing fancy here, but immaculate, and the bathroom is ample. The mini-fridge is restocked with drinks every 2nd day, but we swiped a few off the maid's cart when we needed extras. There are no children's TV shows in English for the most part, so don't count on downtime in the room, watching Nickelodeon. The a/c worked great & there was plenty of water pressure. There is a hairdryer, also.
The grounds are lush, clean & beautiful. My son loved chasing the iguanas, which are all around the place. There is a nature trail, nothing great, but nice for the kids.
The service is not lacking in any way. Everyone who worked there went out of their way to be gracious & helpful. If you at least try to speak a little Spanish it is much appreciated.
Food is plentiful & fine. We thought the seafood restaurant was the best, but the Sonora Grill was also good. As you've read, make the reservations with the "concierge" immediately upon arriving at your building.
There is a "concierge" for each building. Be aware these people are really there to sell you a timeshare into the Royal Club. They will tell you to make your appointment for the "Welcome Breakfast (or lunch, etc)" They say it is a 90-minute tour of the grounds, however everyone we talked to who went said it took AT LEAST 3 HOURS. Don't waste your precious vacation time. They are very persistent about trying to make the appt with you, they asked us every day until we left to go home! They are polite even if you don't attend the presentation. Use them for information about the resort or the area. For example, they can tell you how much you should pay for a taxi to Playa Del Carman, etc.
PLAYA DEL CARMAN Is the town nearby. Don't get into a taxi until you have negotiated a price. It should be no more than $10 (sometimes $9) to go there from the resort. There is a BEAUTIFUL beach there, wear & swimsuit & a coverup, so you can spend time at the beach & then go shopping. Shopping is definitely Mexican-style. Prices are jacked way up and you are expected to bargain. It can be a little stressful if you aren't comfortable doing that. Otherwise, pay a little extra & get your souveniers at the hotel.
Bring your own sunscreen, and wear it all the time. SPF 50 will still leave you with a dark tan. Sunscreen is expensive at the resort.
Other tips: Ladies, leave those sexy heeled sandals at home! There is nowhere to wear them You need comfortable walking shoes as there is LOTS of walking at the resort. We also brought water shoes - they were especially convenient when visiting Xcaret Park, next door to the resort. You can just go swimming with them on and leave them on for the rest of the day. We also brought backpacks, which we used to store towels, extra clothes, etc, when going on all-day excursions.
There is no beach, except for a pretty, man-made lagoon. It is a nice place for the kids to get comfortable with their snorkeling equipment, (we brought our own), but there really isn't a whole lot to see there. There are many different pool areas, and we didn't find it too difficult to get chairs. If you want to be sure, put your towels out around 8am, on the way to breakfast.
I would not recommend this resort for singles hoping to meet people. It is almost all families, and the four single 20-something guys I saw grouped together all looked pretty bored and disappointed! If you are looking to meet someone, this is not the place. There is no night life to speak of. For the kids, there is a show around 7pm or 8pm each nite, before the adult entertainment. Our 8 yr old got a kick out of that. The adult entertainment was pretty cheesy, although they do try. It wasn't worth staying up late for, but you might want to make the scene for a little while, there are vendors and painters around the stage area.
As much as we loved this resort, I don't know if I would go back. There are gorgeous beaches in this part of Mexico, and we didn't realize how much we would miss that. However, the hotel is well located to Playa, Tulum ruins (wear your bathing suit and bring snacks- another gorgeous beach!), Xcaret & other attractions. Aside from the lack of a beach, this resort is about as perfect as you can get!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
32  Thank amityville
Reviewed September 11, 2006

First time outside Europe, first time all Inclusive and wow what a hotel to compare any others too, plenty of choice with food, a huge hotel but spread out in small blocks that it doesn't look it, large pools and a fab small private beach.
We didn't have to leave the hotel for anything apart from the free day in Xcerat park next door (booked through last minute) which was well worth it, but lots of walking as it was spread out) Trips out take a fair amount of time (chitzen Itza varies from 1-3 hours travelling there)
Fun and friendly staff, plenty of sports on offer free, snorkelling mask free for one hour a day at the beach (loads to see in such a small place!) Small markets during the week come into the hotel, but don't buy your tequila until duty free (half the price!)
Looking for a relaxed time then come here, we went when there were no kids so plenty of space, 30-35 degrees and 20mins of rain through the whole week.
Fantastic holiday just what we wanted.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
20  Thank Trillian_1
Reviewed September 11, 2006

We spent one week at this hotel. For the most part it was a good experience. However, we were not informed that the building we would be staying in had NO elevator and we were on the 3rd floor! We came in after dark and were not informed by the check-in desk how to 'turn on the lights" in the room, and most people we asked for help could not speak English. However, our concierge, Anna, was very helpful. There was no 'night life' at the hotel to speak of, save for a stage show, and the pools closed down too early in the evening. The buffet food was great for breakfast, so/so for lunch, and for the most part was horrible at night. They had theme nights and for the most part weren't very good. The staff in the main restaurant was very polite and attentive, though. Our favorite restaurant on-site was Pacos Tacos - delicious! The Hacienda had horrible food. I'm not sure how accomodating the hotel is for small children as we had none with us. It did seem that there was a 'place' for little ones to hang out, though.

5  Thank jokabu
Reviewed September 9, 2006

Our stay at the Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret from August 5 – August 12, 2006 was incredibly wonderful. There were four of us in our party: myself (26), my husband (27), my mom (47) and her husband (43). Our travel background: My husband and I spent 2 weeks at the Mayan Palace non all-inclusive resort in the Mayan Riviera in 2002 and we have been on 2 cruises. Our first was a Western Caribbean Carnival cruise and our second was a Southern Caribbean Royal Caribbean cruise. My mom and her husband spent a week at an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican last year.

I will start this review off with our air travel information. We booked our trip last minute, getting a good deal and we flew out of Saskatoon, SK through Air Canada Vacations. We were very happy with our flights and I was more than happy that I paid an extra $300 to fly in first class roundtrip. The comfort level increases substantially in first class as you have much more legroom, seatroom and are given blankets, pillows, and warm facecloths to freshen up with. You also get complimentary beverages and access to the executive lounges in airports where you will find comfy leather couches, chairs, internet access and free food and alcohol/non-alcohol beverages.

When you arrive in the Cancun airport, you may find it intimidating as there are hundreds of people trying to flog their services. If you booked with a travel company, check with them to see if your trip includes travel vouchers for the trip from the airport to the resort. Ours did and we were told to look for a person holding an Air Canada Vacations sign. As we walked to find this person, numerous people were asking us for our travel vouchers and about our need for a taxi, etc. until we finally found the man with the sign outside – just keep walking and they will leave you alone. The ride from the airport to the resort takes about 1 hour. We went in a large bus and they sold beer in the bus to start your holiday off!

When we arrived at the Grand Xcaret, we were amazed at the immense size of the lobby. We dropped our bags off where we were told and went to check in which was a fairly quick, pleasant experience and we received a nice welcome punch to drink as we waited. We were then escorted to our rooms which were quite a ways away in building 22. My mom had requested an ocean view with our travel agent and as far as I know, building 22 and the Royal Club are the only buildings where you would get this view, but I could be wrong about this. Our bags arrived in our room within about 20 minutes and we were thrilled that we didn’t have to lug them up 3 flights of stairs (there are no elevators in any building other than the lobby building). Our rooms were very nice and were kept immaculately clean. The showers in the bathrooms are huge and provide a bench to sit on and the water can get nice and hot so my mom was happy because they could only get lukewarm water in the Dominican. There were minibars in the room that were stocked with water, Pepsi, orange crush and beer. They were refilled every second day. The safe in the closet worked very well for keeping valuables. The air conditioning was incredible. We kept our room very cold as it was a nice reprieve from the humidity. The decks were nice for sitting out in the morning. All in all, we were very pleased with the rooms and we were never bothered by the people downstairs apparently trying to flog timeshare experiences.

There are 12 main buildings for guest rooms and they are all 3 stories high. Buildings 18-22 were the closest to the main pools including the swim-up bar pool and the fun pool where most of the activities take place. Building 22 was in the quietest location of these buildings with building 20 being in the loudest area because it is directly beside the fun pool. Buildings 10, 11, and 12 are right in the lobby area closest to the theatre, on-site shopping and most restaurants but further away from the pools and beach area. Buildings 14-17 are close to the quiet pools and in the middle of the beach and the restaurants.

Overall, we thought the food was good. It wasn’t amazing but in most cases, it was very good and the variety was phenomenal so I think everyone would be able to find something they liked. Make your reservations for the A la Carte restaurants the night you get there or the following morning. We ate at the Mexican, Mediterranean, Steakhouse, and the Seafood “a la cartes”. We all had different thoughts on our favorite a la cartes because it all comes down to personal preferences. These restaurants were all very clean, and offered good service, and nice food presentation. In hindsight, next time we will eat at the main buffet more often because the selection is amazing, the ambiance is impressive in the evenings and the food was very good. The main buffet is your best option as far as selection is concerned for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also a restaurant above the pool bar which was a good place to grab lunch if you were relaxing at the pool. The other option was the Beach Club restaurant which was open for breakfast and lunch. This was nice and provided a beautiful view of the ocean but the selection was not as vast.

As far as other services at the resort are concerned, we enjoyed the spa. Every time we go away, I get my hair braided for convenience reasons and this was no exception. I got it braided our second day because you don’t have to worry about your hair for the rest of the trip. You can jump in and out of the water and not have to do your hair when you get out. You don’t need to blow-dry your hair, or even brush it which is very nice. I went to the spa to get it done and loved that. It was $70 US which is a bit more than I’ve paid in the past, but I got to sit in a nice air conditioned salon chair and the guy who did it was phenomenally fast. His name was Andres and he went to tech school to learn how to braid and it paid off – he braided my whole head including a row of flower beads on the top of my head in about an hour. The first time I had it done in Mexico, it took over 3 hours. My mom and her husband had a couple massages. They were more relaxing than therapeutic but they thought it was a very nice environment and my mom preferred the massage on the beach (still booked at the spa) to the one actually in the spa. I think there were 2 tennis and one paddle tennis courts, I heard great things about the Kids Fun Club, the theatre shows were all right, and the disco was pretty small but worth checking out even for a short time. There are several stores on site that you can shop at and we thought the prices were fairly reasonable but not dirt cheap. Twice a week, local vendors come in and set up a market behind the theatre area. The art people are cool to watch – one guy uses his fingers and his pinky nail to create beautiful pictures and he is awesome. We got him to make one of the resorts beach area which was a very cool keepsake. Another guy does spray-paint pictures that are really neat. The downstairs lobby bar was one of our favorite places to sit back and relax with a drink in the evenings. There is a little “secret” older path that takes you through the jungle area around building 17 where you will see some caged monkeys and possibly some other wildlife. Pick up a daily activities schedule from the Guest services desk across from the check in counter in the lobby and you will find activities such as yoga classes, Spanish lessons, scuba diving lessons, archery, water aerobics, bingo, cooking lessons, etc.

The beach at the resort is quite small. It is a man made lagoon that is quite nice and sheltered and we enjoyed our time there. However, if you are looking for a resort with a ‘resort on the ocean’ feeling with a long, expansive beach that you could walk along for miles, this is not the resort for you. On the beach there are many lounge chairs, as well as cabanas and swinging covered beds. There were numerous fish that you could see if you snorkeled but it wasn’t the most fabulous snorkeling experience because the variety of sea creatures was lacking a bit. Several people took a bun or something from the buffet above the beach area and throwing pieces in the water brought hundreds of fish around which was a neat experience. We learned at the end of our trip that you can talk to the lifeguard, sign a book and then go out into the ocean area for a better snorkeling experience but we did not know about this soon enough to try it. There is also a small adults only pool quite close to the beach that is a very quiet salt water pool area where you can sunbathe topless if you desire. We preferred to spend our time at the pools because they were so nice and the bar service was great. Ladies would come around to your chairs to get your drink orders. All four of us loved the Miami Vice drinks (half strawberry daiquiri and half pina colada) and you can ask for top shelf liquors. I always ordered Bacardi Miami vice’s. We found the drinks to be quite weak but that was probably a good thing seeing as we drank lots of them and never felt really drunk.

Leaving the resort was an adventure. Most vacations we go on, I plan things out in 20 minute intervals and I thoroughly enjoyed this vacation because I didn’t plan anything ahead of time so we stayed at the resort almost every day and just relaxed at the pool or the beach. It was so nice feeling relaxed and rested when we got home so I have definitely discovered a new way to travel! One morning we went to Playa del Carmen to go to the beach (larger and more typical beach) and to shop. You have to barter at every store which can either be a lot of fun or incredibly frustrating depending on your personality. We walked about 6 blocks off of the main street to the Wal-Mart to buy some alcohol which was very cheap but the selection was a little limited. Other than the alcohol, it was very similar to the Wal-Mart’s at home. After shopping in a bunch of little local stores we caught the $10 cab back to the resort. The only other day that we left the resort was to go to Xcaret using the free passes we got from the resort. Xcaret is about a 5-10 minute walk from the lobby building of the hotel and they have a special entrance for resort guests. We enjoyed our day there – we particularly enjoyed the observation tower that is very close to the park entrance that hotel guests use. We also really enjoyed snorkeling at Xcaret. We didn’t do the river swim as we had done that before and the line up for that was huge.

We walked through the park and ended up snorkeling just beside the beach area close to where people do the SNUBA experiences. We saw lots of really neat fish and some colorful coral so it was a great time – you can rent snorkeling equipment at a hut there for about $10. We spent all day there and ended our day with the horse show. We had decided earlier that we were going to be too tired to stay for the late show, so we bought the video tape of the show at one of the gift shops and started walking back to the resort after the horse show. Unfortunately, we were walking in a large swarm of people as everyone headed to the night show theatre was headed in our direction. My mom ended up a few people ahead of us and at one point in time, she was jostled for position. When we got back to our rooms, she realized that her wallet that was in her beach bag had been stolen. They called to cancel their credit cards and within an hour of the wallet being stolen, they had put $4000 on their Visa and on their American Express. A word of advice: it is a pain in the butt to reach some companies when you are in Mexico because the phone systems are different, etc. so leave everything you don’t absolutely need at home or in the safe in your room. Every piece of ID other than my mom’s passport was stolen as well as several credit cards, debit cards and customer loyalty cards, etc., etc. It would have been best if she had only taken one credit card or whatever she deemed absolutely necessary but “live and learn” right! Also, make sure you right down contact numbers, etc. because if your cards are lost or stolen you don’t have them to get the lost or stolen numbers off the back of the cards anymore. Fortunately, the credit card companies are good about the insurance side of things and mom didn’t let it ruin the holiday.

My final thoughts and observations

Of all of our vacations, this was by far the most relaxing. The resort is absolutely beautiful. It is definitely a jungle like atmosphere. The grounds are beautifully manicured and everything looks really pretty. The weather was great while we were there: humid but we got used to it and very sunny (don’t forget sunscreen). The pools are absolutely fabulous – they’re huge and there are many to choose from. We brought floaty chair/raft things with us and loved having them. They have a shack where you can get footballs, volleyballs, etc. to play with in the pools. The morning pool volleyball games in the swim up bar pool were one of the best activities for us! We also really enjoyed late night swims when things are much quieter. The beach is small but it’s still nice. The food is pretty good and the blender drinks are great. The resort is absolutely massive – there is lots of walking involved but we took the shuttle several times and never felt we had to wait too long. Due to the size of the resort, it never seemed busy because everyone is so spread out and we were told that they were at 97% occupancy while we were there. None of us saw any mosquitoes or had problems with any bugs at all. We had SO much fun and would go back in a heartbeat. THIS WAS AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZING VACATION DESTINATION!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
62  Thank Kristin E
Reviewed September 9, 2006

We were 3 families with 5 teenaged boys. We spent the extra for the Royal Club and it was a wise choice. I think the Royal Club would be too quiet and boring if you were just one family, but for a group it was so perfect. The attention was great, food above the other fare. Gourmet, and they would cook whatever you requested as well. Best of drinks, and tried (did) accomodate specific liquor requests. Our waiter was so professional, yet fun. He was stunning in anticipating our needs.
The boys were off to the pool games and enjoyed the disco early in the eve when teens were allowed. The place is safe, or at least seemed so. Rooms very nice and large. This review is specific to the Royal Club as it is almost a resort within the resort.
Royal Club perfect for a group!

Stayed: July 2006