I have just walked in through the door after returning from the Grand Flamenco. We stayed from 10 sep to 24 sep.
Some of the previous reviews have been harsh about this resort and some have been downright barmy. I mean what the hell do you people want?
OK, so some previous comments- the food is not up to much even in the restaurants. The staff were sometimes rude and just couldn't be bothered. The resort was too big and the mini car was never about.
So i am going to give you my experience. But first let me tell you something about ourselves.
My husband and myself work incredably hard and our two week break is vital. I am really demanding about this and want it to be perfect. As a result we tend to spend more money than average, Four weeks prior to going on holiday our holiday to Turkey was cancelled. So with not alot of time we had to book another. I did alot of looking on the internet and selected this resort. Then i read some of the previous guest reviews.
We were not really worried as we tend to find that everyone does have a different opinion but honestly, if you are going to this resort IGNORE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS. This holiday was out of this world.
So let me tell you more.
Check in staff were nice and friendly. Quick and efficient yes but provided me with all the details I needed including a map of the complex, highlighing where our building was, and where we needed to go for the restaurants and beach. However the place is so well signposted you cannot get lost. IT does cover a large area but the mini cars run from 8am to 11 pm. The longest we had to wait for a car wan 10 mins, but then the sign does say every 10 mins. I have to say we did mainly use the cars, not because it was too much to walk but because it was too hot.
Alot of people have commented on the food being below what you would expect. We had only been there for 24 hours and we could not understand this. Breakfast could be had at Buffet or at the beach. Plenty to choose from ranging from cereal to fruit to cooked- eggs waffles potatoes. Lunch at Buffet, beach or pool. Again so much choice. For both breakfast and lunch there was always something to choose from. Something for everyone, no matter what. The resturants were lovely. fantastic service and food. La Hacienda, Los Olivos were our favourites. The only one we did not like was the fish and seafood restaurant, but the location at night was wonderful. Not too much choice though.
As i said in the beginning, could not understand the food and service comments. It was all good. no complaints.
And that really sets the scene for the holiday. Nothing to complain about. Try speaking a little Spanish. remember to tip. But lets face it that is just common courtesy. In fact to get any kind of bad service it has to come from you first. Honestly, nobody could do too much. One day we did not have any beer in mini bar. Asked the chamberman and he gave us a six pack. He also left us flowers in our room and bathroom for when we returned at the end of the day.
Go to Xcaret park. It is free but also wonderful. But be prepared to do alot of walking and it will be hot hot hot. But so worth it.
Go and see the animals scattered around the Grand Flamenco and always always have a biscuit or two when having a drink in the lobby bar to feed the fish with. They are always hungry. but fun.
If you cannot tell by what i have said so far we had a fantastic time. Got up had a lazy breakfast, Sat by the quiet pool in the cool jaquzzi. went for lat lunch. had cocktail or two at swim up bar,or at Lobby bar. Back to cool air conditioned room to get ready fro evening. The Entertainment was fun and never went on for too long. you are free to get as involved in the activites as you want. or not.
Yes they do invite you to a 'talk' about vacation clubs. Alot of people take them up and it did seem like a good plan so it is worth a discussion. DO NOT LET THEM GO ON AND ON. THEY SAY AN HOUR AND HALF. If you are not interested stop them and get on with your holiday. We met a few people who do this though and they reve about it. For us it was just a wrong time.
SO I hope this helps a little. Although the best advice I can give you is the holiday will be what YOU make it. Make it a good one!
My email is email@example.com if you would like to ask any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Barcelo, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelsforEveryone, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret