Occidental at Xcaret Destination
  • Pool
$297
$236
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$294
$517
$603
$117
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of $186/night.

$973
$519
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$396
$333
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$487
$349
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$714
$642
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$790
Priceline
14,764 results
All reviewsroyal clubman made beachfun clubpacos tacossonora grillel pescadorle buffetfirst clubtime shareseafood restaurantunderground riverbeach buffetfun poolswim up barmain buffeteco parkbeach area
Reviewed May 14, 2017 via mobile

Booked trip on Orbitz, as stated on my Orbitz paperwork check in for this hotel is between the hours of 12:00-3:00pm we get to the hotel at 11:30-12:00 and go to check in only to. E tips we can't get our room until 3:00 pm as that is when check time is.. I stated my paper work clearly states 12:00 girls at front desk were extremely rude and snotty, I then asked about the internet password , Again Orbitz miss represented this information and you only get I hour of internet a day.... Then we asked to change rooms because the room we were in the people were loud partying all night they then put us into a room that smells of rotting fruit!!! We were also told we had access to Xcaret park but we went and were told we had to pay$$ to access the park.. lots of bait and switch happening here!!

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lynne H
OccidentalatXcaret, Social media Coordinator at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2017

I truly regret the inconveniences you had during your stay. We have carefully noted each point you mentioned in order to improve, we are always worried about our guest’s well-being and strive to make holidays at our property an unforgettable experience.
We would love to have a second opportunity to demonstrate you the high quality standards our brand is known for.

Reviewed May 14, 2017 via mobile

Me and my wife went here for our honeymoon and it was purely 10 days of paradise.

Accommodation

Accommodation was good and clean. We got a happy honeymoon banner with a card, fruit bowl and some fizz which was a nice touch. The standard of cleaning in the room was really good and you got a well stocked fridge most days. The balcony views are hit and miss unless you are upgrading to The Royal Club you won't get a sea view

Food was nice overall I would say certainly the best for us were the oriental and the seafood. Steakhouse was a bit disappointing. The breakfast and lunch buffets again where nice and varied with a great range of meat,salads and fish. I would recommend upgrading to meal on the beach at the royal club it really makes for an amazing experience and the service and view over the sea was exceptional!

Drink

Fill your boots! Plenty of drinks. Beers,wines and lots of cocktails. I recommend the pina colada and banana daiquiri. The staff will make you things that aren't on the menu and Luis makes some mean cocktails at the Sports Bar and is an all round nice guy

Entertainment

The beach and main pool area had it's own Fun Club throughout the day which was great it had movie quizzes, volleyball, water aerobics, archery and a definitely must was the free Dolphin tour that they took you to. Cesar was king of the party there and was a really friendly guy who Liz and I couldn't praise more for making our days by the pool fun!

The Lobby had music and table service every night and there was some good stuff on for families at the theatre most nights

Park

An absolute MUST Is to go into Xcaret Park. So much to do just make sure you eat at the hotel before you go in as the food is pricey. I would recommend the show every night at 7 and swimming through the caves and rock pools in the park. Simply amazing

Guest services

If you want ANY information on the attractions or hotel then Guest Services across from reception couldn't have been nicer. A special mention to Beatriz who was smiley, attentive and helped with whatever we wanted. She was excellent. Generally the rest of the staff, waiters etc were really pleasant

In summary a really good time had by both of us. The only things that I would say to watch would be that the shows are not that well advertised so go to Guest Services for info on Lobby and Theatre Shows as well as Fun Club. Also there some of the staff trying to sell timeshares. They don't push it on you too much though which is good. Also some of the service is hit and miss but I would definitely recommend visiting this place as there is plenty to see and do. I would be happy to visit this for our 10 year anniversary.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shibbott

Reviewed May 14, 2017

this is our 4th year and every year it gets better. we travelled with family (7 of us) and everyone had the best time. staff in the first club are top notch! place is large but you can find your own spot in paradise for all ages.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed May 14, 2017

5 day stay for Anniversary. Not very accommodating with room assignment. Disorganized at front desk. Two rooms given already had quests in them. Had to wait until the next day until they could find something else. Grounds in need of some maintenance, several lights at paths out so very dark in areas. Lots of walking to restaurants and beach area. Bars at pool and beach areas did not stay open late. Speciality coffee stand in lobby $$. However...adjoining Xcaret Park excellent! Restaurant food delicious, Buffet very good. Entertainment ok. Since there are so many other Resorts in the area, probably won't be returning though.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts

We would like to thank you for choosing Occidental at Xcaret Destination as your holiday destination during your visit to Riviera Maya. Our guests play a key role in helping us to improve our services and we truly appreciate the feedback.
It was a pleasure to host your holiday and hopefully you will provide us an opportunity to host your holiday once again.

Reviewed May 13, 2017 via mobile

I've been visiting Mexico annually for more than 40 years. All over. Love the land, love the people. At only one other Mexico attraction have I had to work so hard to get the full experience, and that would be climbing up the enormous thousand steps under a blazing sun to see the view from the top of the giant Pyaramid of The Sun at Teotihuácan, near Mexico City. Worth it, but exhausting!

Occidental @ X too can be worth the physical exertion under a hot sun to see it's numerous sights. But the sights are scattered all around the campus of this vast metropolis in the jungle.

So this is your warning: Bring sturdy walking shoes or hiking boots as well as your flip flops! I didn't have the benefit of this forewarning, and wish I'd known.

First, understand that Occidental @X is not a beach resort. It does have a small-ish man-made saltwater lagoon, but the small scale of that construction bears no resemblance to a typical miles-long Carribean beach. More like a fish bowl with trucked-in sand. I'm a snorkeler, but when I saw the fish bowl, I passed.

The natural oceanfront here is treacherous rock and coral, with a steep drop-off into the ocean. Those sturdy shoes or boots are most needed here. I had only flip flops and I slipped and scraped/cut my hands and legs several times here. Still, though, it was worth my minor injuries because along that oceanfront is one of the most interesting sights. Here are ancient Maya temple ruins. For armchair archaeologists this is a must-see.

THE WALKING!. This property must be at least 200 acres in size. Everything is a WALK! Rustic winding trails connect all buildings. Trails close to the main lodge/Reception hall are all nicely paved, while trails leading out to distant attractions may be just natural worn paths or rough crushed cinder. Supportive footwear needed again! The trails twist and turn and loop around, it took me three days to memorize the route from my room to the restaurant zone. I got lost dozens of times. They reminded me of the corn mazes we people who live in northern latitudes pay to get lost and confused in! The occasional trailside maps are unhelpful. Too oblique.

Making Occidental@ X unique among the Maya Riviera is the jungle wildlife to be seen. You will see interesting jungle fauna close-up. Colorful wild parrots come winging into the open air lobby where staff put out food for them.(Does that make them 'junk parrots' ?) Coati mundii ramble around on the lawns digging up bugs/roots? They are wild but show no fear of humans. Cute too! Speaking of cute the stars of the animal show are the squirrel monkeys that call Occidental home too. Deer, too, will be seen along the longer jungle trails.

Swimming pools are everywhere. One for each block of residences and more pools just for the fun of it! I didn't count, but I'd guess at 20 pools. Some have swimup bars.

FOOD TO DIE FOR! I must congratulate the food service staff. I've dined at dozens of all- inclusive buffets at Mexican resorts, but the breakfast/dinner buffets at Occidental @X take the blue ribbon. Wow! Never seen so many various hot or cold dishes, fresh fruits, fresh breads and all of them absolutely delicious! Table servers are right there to offer you a coffee fill up or to freshen your table, always smiling and at your service.

I had the most wonderful meal of my life at the å la carte Meditterean restaurant. Qué Delicioso!

My final advice: Every room or suite here is truly luxurious. Beautiful marble vanity/shower/toilet facilities. Big floor space, generous closets, real solid oak furnishings. Private balconies. But the only rooms with ocean views are in the "Royal" section of the resort ( i.e Room #s in 300s )That area is more deluxe in every way. Were I to return to Occidental @X, I would definitely pay the extra money to have that gorgeous view with the fresh ocean breeze.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo