“LOVED IT!!!!!”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #70 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed at the resort from 8/1 to 8/8, wish it was longer. Everything start to finish was fantastic, from the hotel staff, grounds, food, pools.. I definitely recommend staying in the Royal Club section mainly because it had the best restaurant (just for Royal Club guests), beautiful views and a nice quiet getaway once you are done at the beach and main pools. They really do treat you like royalty, everyone was great to my husband and I, but especially to our children (7 and 9). Special thanks to Stephanie, Oberloin, Hernan, Francisco, Raul, Samuel and Roberto (sorry if I missed anyone). Also, to the chefs in the Royal Club restaurant, every meal was super. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and room service. The traditional taco lunch was one of my favorites. Thanks also to cleaning and grounds crew for keeping everything so clean and beautiful.
It was great to see all of the wildlife on the resort (monkeys, McKaws, deer, Terons etc..) and to walk on the beautiful trails throughout. We met some great people while there and hope to come back again soon. Our only comment (and not much can be done about it..since the resort is built in a rocky section) is that we wished the cove/beach area were a little larger for taking walks along the shore. Other than that all great things!

Room Tip: Royal Club rooms are closest to the beach area. If you can stay in building 32, there are a couple o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank AmyMikeBL
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear AmyMikeBL,

Best regards,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

The staff was fantastic. Food was awesome, many choices. Lots of activities, night life and the rooms very very very nice. Such a great place we decided to buy a membership there. Mexico - Occidental Grand we will see you soon.

Room Tip: Building 19 is a good central location to all activites, food, and events.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Kimmy9765

Dear Kimmy9765,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff. We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had a really great time here and wish we had booked a couple of extra days because there were so many things to do.

As with place you stay there are pros and cons. Pros: All the staff were super amazing, especially Jonathan Lopez in Building 18. The grounds were well-kept and the rooms were pretty clean. The staff at the Kids Club were phenomenal! My daughter didn't want to leave when my husband and I went to pick her up. We were told that the resort was filled to capacity but it never seemed crowded. Cons (some of these are personal preferences): In the building where we were, there was no bathtub just a stand up shower. As a lady who shaves her legs and is used to a bathtub, it took me a minute to figure out how to do it. The beds were hard as we were staying in the regular rooms, not the First Club or the Royal Club. The floors in the rooms have tile or a marble floor. I only bring this up because it make everything 10x louder than what it would be if there were carpet on the floor, especially when the people next door are drunk and caterwauling their undying love, in a foreign language, for the other person in that room at 1:30 in the morning. I wish there were more shops. The restaurants, except for the buffet, didn't have bathrooms. You had to go down the hall and around the corner or down the stairs. The internet is rather pricey and I read some reviews that it wasn't worth what they asked you to pay for it.

Here are some tips that we learned from reading reviews on here and from experience: When going through the Cancun airport, you will go through a section that is devoted to timeshares. They will try and stop you by asking to see your voucher or just stepping right in front of you. Just keep looking forward, repeating "NO!" and keep walking to where you need to be, whether car rental or shuttle. Make reservations at the restaurants as soon as you get there. Get the passes and go to Xcaret and Xplore parks. There is plenty to do there and I would have enjoyed getting to see everything. We didn't get to go to Xplore :(. If you go to Xcaret, go to the show. It is a little long but it was really neat. They do have a section that serves dinner, you will need to make reservations for that. We didn't know that you had to make reservations, but they were able to fit us in.

This is a really great place will definitely be going back next year!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank ggriffin1973
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear ggriffin1973,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay here in Occidental Grand Xcaret,
Concerning your comments we are sharing them with all our departments to keep providing a high quality service

We hope to see you soon!
Regards,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We spent 1 week in beginning of August and really appreciate staying in this resort. The complex is very natural, you can see monkeys, flamingos, deers, birds and of course iguanas, I even saw small snake. At first we did not like that beach (small bay lagoon), but after seeing Playa del Carmen public beach we really appreciate this resort bay beach. Very safe for kids, you can swim with plenty fish (bring your snorkeling equipment). Lots of shaded areas (very important). Food was good, sea food restaurant was great. Make you reservations right away.
I would like to thank a specially Carlos trainer from gym, he was very helpful, show me many exercises and answer all my questions, very professional. Very good quality night shows!
The only negative point I have is that near by park Xcaret was regular price for guests, I thought we could get 1 day pass for free or better price since we stayed in Xcaret hotel, but unfortunately it was 99$ same price as for everybody else (so we skipped this attraction)

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Wojtek B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us.
And we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the
hotel is the staff.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We visited the Occidental Nocember 2013. The grounds are incredible. I have been to many resorts in the Riviera Maya and this resort is very well maintained with lots of wild life. We stayed in the royal elite club section and it sure made a big difference on the drinks and the rooms. I have stayed at this resort in the normal section and I stayed in the upgraded section. If you plan to visit this resort it is such a huge difference in the rooms. I will be returning to this resort in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Larry S

Dear Mr. Larry S,

It´s a pleasure to hear so much good comments, because our staff is always making an effort to make our guests a memorable stay,
We would like to host you again!

Kind regards from México,

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our family has been vacationing here for the past few years now and can't say enough great things about the staff in the Royal Club. The food is always delicious and the staff in the Royal Club take care of our daughter's gluten-free needs very well which is very important to us. This is the perfect resort to stay for a relaxing vacation.
We will be there soon again :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mmmlll2014
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear mmmlll2014,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Occidental Grand Xcaret, because our staff is always looking forwards to make the stay of our guests memorable

We hope to see you soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I've always avoided all inclusive because I'm afraid of being trapped and unable to explore. My experience here has changed my mind. The complex is massive, beautiful, natural, clean, and accessible. Although the beach is a private lagoon built into the rocky ocean shore, it's pristine, large, and safe. I read in another review that they were changed $33 to snorkel in the open ocean, but I'm assuming it was the cost of the equipment because I brought my own and was able to snorkel without a fee. There was even staff to keep an eye on your safety from afar. Despite all of the wonderful things I could say about this property, the staff was the best part. Ramon was the highlight of our days there. He can read minds, and is such a wonderful person with a heart of gold. The only negative encounters I had regarded how rude guests could be to the staff there, especially many Americans, which is embarrassing to say the least. The internet really is so expensive and I was incredibly surprised it wasn't available for free throughout the resort. It would've been great to be able to insta all the wonderful experiences. That was my and my partners first vacation together. We're about to embark on a destination wedding and this is where I want it to be.

• Stayed: November 2013
7  Thank Eric A

Dear Eric A,

We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property.

We hope to host you again!
Yours faithfully,

The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!