“We only went off the grounds once amazing”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #73 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
London, United Kingdom
“We only went off the grounds once amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Defiantly Book the fish restaurant and the others the day you arrive
And feed the fish around your knees in the sea bay!
No wifi:(
Four great pools even when the hotel was at full capacity it felt half empty with only a few people in the 4 pools and always able to find a sun lounger

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Gareth J
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Gareth J,

We are pleased to hear that we surpassed your expectations,
We hope to see you soon,

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,710)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sterling, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

I had an excellent time here. I highly recommend this place. The food and drinks were of the highest quality. The hotel was impeccable. Lastly, the manager, Jose Cardona, is an amazing manager.I can't say enough great things about this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank ElianeOliveros
Dear Eliane Oliveros,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations.
We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property. It is so nice to read such lovely feedback and is very motivating to all the team who do work incredibly hard to make our guests stay memorable.

Kind regards,
Port Chester, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I'm here right now with girlfriends for a last vacation before going back to work in Sept. Yes, we are teachers. I have stayed in Rivera Maya before with my husband great time. My friends never so I was excited for them NOW I'm DISAPPOINTED for them. No champagne greeting when we got to the hotel like others in the area, NO WiFi we had to buy it disgraceful. We went to our room which smells like an old closet musty, Room needs to be updated. Doorknob of the closet fell off when we opened it. We try to make dinner reservations for the six nights we are here and they said we can only do three reservations but what kind of all inclusive is this, only choice was a buffet hate them. If I'm paying a lot of money for my stay I except to eat were I want and be waited on, one of my friends had the buffet last night Oriental theme sushi was sitting not even cold. I will never come here again and will not recommend. This hotel is not a 4-5 star it is a 2-4. Maybe out standards are too high. Place is a smelly dump! I'm looking forward to leaving. I hope the manager reads this I'm so angry,

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Carol M
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Carol M,

Thank you for sending us your detailed review,
We already shared your remarks with our management.

We are really sorry if your stay was under your expectations, we are positive about this was an unusual situation,

Respectfully,
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Let's get down to business and start with the PRO'S:

- Hotel Rooms Were Clean And Tidy
- Nothing Got Stolen From Our Rooms By Staff
- Mini Fridge Was Stocked Daily (Bonus)
- A La Carte Had Great Food & The Staff Was Very Friendly
- No Bed Bugs
- Attached To The Xcaret Park
- Scenery Was Amazing, Nicely Covered In Luscious Greens And Exotic Plants
- My sister got married here and they actually know how to do there job! A super bonus being
someone in the wedding industry who didn't have to take care of one thing.
- They Can Make Some Awesome Drinks
- Did I Say The A La Carte restaurants were awesome ? Cause they really were..
I highly recommend the Mexican - So So Good!

Now For The Cons,

- This resort is huge, They have a shuttle but it only comes every 15-25 minutes and there isn't a schedule so we ended up never taking it because we didn't want to wait in the heat for it.

- We stayed in building 20, there is a gentleman who sits at the entrance of the building and at
7:00AM when we were sleeping he would call to just " let you know that I can get you a cab to downtown if you like" - This happened at least 4 times and was super angering every time he did so.

- The buffet & snack bar food was just so so, snack bar had a lot of fried items, pizza, hot dogs etc, where the buffet the food didn't change for breakfast and lunch all week.. Dinner actually had themed nights, it was so so also a lot of westernised foods and I guess I hoped for more authentic items. -- If your looking for amazing food you have to try the A La Carte!

- The only thing I really had a problem with was how early everything closed!! 6pm for the pools, the bars, the snack bar, the beach bar.. pretty much everything.. We got told to get out of the pool at 9pm..

It was a downer because if we wanted to find drinks we had to walk 15 minutes to the closets bar that was open =(

Overall, This resort was really nice but I probably wouldn't book again just due to lack of night-life at the resort. Unless I got to eat at the Mexican place every night cause it was seriously so good!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danielle w
Dear danielle w,

Thank you for sending us your detailed review, we already shared your remarks with our management. We truly appreciate your constructive comments, these are very important for us to improve in our quality service.

Kind regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Just returned from Occidental Grand Xcaret, it was a piece of paradise! Travelled as a family with 2 young children (aged 3yrs and 6yrs), stayed in the Royal Club (room 30205). The children loved it! Wildlife and animals everywhere. First day we arrived we saw monkeys swinging from trees outside our balcony, large iguanas everywhere, deer etc. All staff at hotel were wonderful, especially in the RoyalClub! The reception team there were fantastic, as were the cleaners & restaurant staff - I would highly recommend staying in RoyalClub - We had waiter service/breakfast overlooking the sea each morning, late night swims in the private pool, and generally were just made to feel very special. The last night we had a special romantic lobster dinner by the beach in gazebo (at seafood restaurant) on my birthday - thank you to everyone who set this up, it was amazing! I felt like I was at my wedding reception all over again! Food was wonderful, hotel fabulously clean and well maintained. We loved the beach area, it felt safe and secure for the children, great atmosphere, fish to snorkel with, lovely views. We will definitely return to this hotel; I shed a few tears on leaving - it was a beautiful experience all round and I would happily have stayed 3 weeks, as there was just so much to take in. We visited Xcaret park several times (loved the cave swims, there are 3 different ones and a raft - took us a few days to realise) :-) we also visited Xel ha, brilliant fun with lots of adventure and activities - manatee swim was wonderful. We also took a trip to Isla Mujeres (which I believe is only for Virgin travellers - see the Virgin rep called Grant) - if you have the opportunity to take this trip - TAKE IT! We had a 12 hour day which included catamaran, swims with Dolphins, manatees & sharks, food & drinks included - then afternoon with zipwires, kayaks, snorkelling - all for about $198!!!! Plus the dolphins were in giant area within the sea & obviously very well taken care of, they even took my 3yr old out for a special swim, plus there are tiny baby dolphins there too! Fabulous! Lovely to see the animals and wildlife being so well looked after at all of these places (including the hotel). Oh, also... must give a special mention to the photographer 'Nacho' - he is particularly fantastic and talented, love his style of photography. We had a photo session with him, and it was great fun, with outstanding album to treasure at the end, I havn't put it down since we returned home, so worth every single penny! Lastly, HUGE Thank you to everyone at Occidental Grand Xcaret (RoyalClub) for simply making our holiday so wonderful - we hope to return back to you soon. Very Happy UK Customer.

Room Tip: Our deluxe room 30205 was quite small for 2 adults and 2 children, but the bathroom was huge, and ba...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HayleyMK
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear HayleyMK,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff.
We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property.

Best regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I just returned from a 6 night stay at this resort. Took my 19 & 21 yr old boys and their girlfriends. The resort is huge and the property is nice but...because of the jungle-like appearance, there is no air flow so it was extremely hot! The beach is nothing more than a man made lagoon and doesn't have a beautiful ocean view at all. Wi-fi is NOT INCLUDED and very spotty even when paid to obtain, unless you like to spend all your time in the hotel lobby. The bars are understaffed and there is essentially no pool-side service to speak of. Reservations are required at the "fine" restaurants but there is limited availability. We were only "allowed" to make 3 reservations for our 6 nights there. There were always empty tables in these restaurants. We were also limited on what we could order on the menu. No appetizer and soup...one or the other. Room service no longer exists. In my opinion, this resort is doing everything possible to put limits on their customers food and alcohol consumption. Limited staff, limited reservations, limited options on the menu. I've had much better experiences elsewhere and will not return or recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Michelle l
Dear Michelle l,

We are committed to providing our guests with an enjoyable vacation and it appears that we fell short of this.
Thank you for share your experience with us.
We are disappointed to learn you had a less than satisfactory stay with us, and experienced anything less than the courteous service we are so well known for.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay.

Respectfully,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Just returned from a 1 week stay at the Occidental Grand Xcaret, and had a wonderful time. The resort is very large and spacious. Since there isn't much in the area of the resort, this resort has most everything you will need without leaving the resort. There is a nice shopping area with several shops which were all very nice.
The food at the buffet is pretty average- very typical buffet, and nothing special. We did eat at the ala carte restaurants, and especially enjoyed Los Oilvos. There are numerous grill restaurants around the property, and I would highly recommend the grill at the beach for breakfast. The food may be average, but the view is awesome.
There are several pools around, and the staff tries to keep everyone involved. The one area that is lacking, is that there are not any water sports available onsite. If you want to snorkel or kayak, you will need to pay extra, which was a disappointment.
The rooms are spacious and clean.
At check-in, there were a few minor issues with our room, but the issues were quickly corrected.
Beware of the timeshare people who are everywhere! They do take "not interested" well, but guaranteed, they will grab you each and every time you walk out of your building.
All in all, if you want an all-inclusive vacation for a good price, then this is a good choice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank patraveler06
Dear patraveler06,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Occidental Grand Xcaret

We hope to host you again!,
Best regards
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,187 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,006 reviews

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!