There are two sides to the Occidental, the holiday camp side and the Royal Club. I will only comment on the Royal Club.
First impressions were not good, You get dropped off at the main reception to be told you have to check in at he Royal Club, ask the porter for directions. The porter takes you to the rear of the main building, points to a bus sign on the wall and then down to some area below ( we later found was a bus stop). We set off walking with hand luggage and the clothes we travelled in which were a bit warm despite it being dark. We stop three times on the way looking at maps and getting our bearings when two Americans help us but tell us they had checked into one of the rooms in the main building and had to be moved, they said was a 3 star place with 5 star potential.
We got to the Royal club and what a difference. A glass of champagne while you check in is always welcome. We had an upgrade to a suite which was very roomy. The best part of the Royal club is the restaurant. The staff were outstanding and could not do too much for you including many items not on the menu. It was our wedding anniversary while there which we mentioned to a waiter. The following evening they had prepared a special table and meal for us which was a typical Mexican feast and truly wonderful. The Royal Club would easily have a 5star + rating, just a pity they don't have transport ready to take you there from reception
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Barcelo, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret